Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-19-2010, 07:06 AM   #91
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Thanks for that info, MissFit.

For some reason, I'm getting a whole Erin Brockovich, PG&E feeling about the old NLO site. Among some of the stuff they are working on: Remediate contaminated portions (approximately 225 acres) of the Great Miami Aquifer, one of the largest sole-source aquifers in the nation.

So basically, they've contaminated an admitted 225 acres of a huge aquifer with radioactive material? That's the info available on the second page, after you click the link that says they've only contaminated 170 acres of that aquifer. I wonder how affected the local population is regarding this water supply.

The work on this aspect is only 51% complete and they haven't updated the progress on the aquifer cleanup since 2006. All the other stuff is claimed to be 100% complete. But the link to the building decontamination and demolition takes you to a "bad request" page.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #92
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

This page (of the site linked above) tells about what functions were performed by the different plants on the site.

http://www.lm.doe.gov/land/sites/oh/.../50th/fppp.htm

I need to go back and read the thread, but wasn't Dave Bocks found dead in Plant 5? If so, I'm more than convinced that he could not have put himself into a furnace of radioactive material and then closed the "reduction pot" door.

Here's what went on in Plant 5:

"""The brown oxide was then reacted with anhydrous hydrogen fluoride to produce green salt. Fernald also produced green salt from uranium hexafluoride received from other sites in the nuclear weapons complex.

The green salt was packaged in 10-gallon cans and transported to the metal production operations in Plant 5, where it was blended with magnesium-metal granules, placed in a closed reduction pot and heated until the contents reacted, producing a uranium mass called a derby. The product, which resembled the top of a man’s derby hat, weighed up to 370 pounds."""

On the first page of this thread, it says he was found in Plant 6. If that's the case, here's what went on there:

"""In Plant 6, ingots were cut to various lengths and then machined to very tight specifications for the Savannah River site."""

So Plant 6 was just for cutting and machining ingots that were manufactured at another location on their site and the ingots received from other manufacturers? Here's the full paragraph regarding Plant 6. I'd like to study this further and be able to comment right now, but I don't have the time. I hope I'll be able to come back sometime today to read the rest of that site.

"""Fernald shipped some derbies to other DOE sites but most were re-melted inside a vacuum induction furnace and poured into pre-heated graphite molds to form ingots. Ingots varied in weight, size and shape, from 10 inches in diameter, 23 to 40 inches in length, and weighing up to 1,400 pounds. Fernald sent ingots to the RMI Facility in Astabula, Ohio, where most were extruded and then sent back to the Fernald site for heat treatment and final machining to target element cores for Savannah River in South Carolina. Enriched uranium ingots were prepared by RMI to produce a billet for direct shipment to Hanford in Washington. In Plant 6, ingots were cut to various lengths and then machined to very tight specifications for the Savannah River site."""
Old 09-20-2010, 08:42 AM   #93
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissFit29
With all these plants being demolished, it makes you wonder what happened to Dave's remains.
I believe during the segment that either his daughter or co-worker said that Dave's remains are being held in a contamination site in Nevada.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #94
Oldschooler81
Forum Regular

As creepy, sad and unusual as this case is, I've always felt it played out almost exactly like the reenactment suggested.

Even if Dave had a suicide attempt in the past, I don't at all believe he killed himself. It was probably only brought up to add some dimension to the story. His daughter said how much of a nice, loving guy he was and that by 1984 he seemed to have his life back on track from his previous divorce (maybe that's why he was suicidal in the first place, if he really loved his wife?).

From all accounts it seemed to be a normal night of work. You'd think if he were planning to blow the whistle right then and there, UM would've mentioned some indication of it. What does puzzle me though, is what he was talking to the supervisor about at 4am, I think that was definitely related to his death. I believe the temperature drop in the furnace was most likely due to Dave being thrown in. Most likely he was summoned to plant 4 (instead of 8) and assaulted or killed right there.

I wonder if he was close enough to his friend/co worker Harry Easterling to have mentioned anything about that beforehand?
Oldschooler81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #95
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
I need to go back and read the thread, but wasn't Dave Bocks found dead in Plant 5? If so, I'm more than convinced that he could not have put himself into a furnace of radioactive material and then closed the "reduction pot" door.
That should be reason enough to hush all the suicide critics of this case. There is no way that a human being or even Superman could lower themselves into the furnace and then shut the reduction door after he is already in the furnace. It makes zero sense.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 PM   #96
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
That should be reason enough to hush all the suicide critics of this case. There is no way that a human being or even Superman could lower themselves into the furnace and then shut the reduction door after he is already in the furnace. It makes zero sense.
I have worked in and around steel mills and foundries for number of years and I can tell you that there be no way a human being could stand the heat long enough to lower themselves into a molten furnace. If for no other reason than the fact that their clothing and their safety equipment would catch fire long before they were lowered into the furnace.

I've always seen this case is being another real unsolved mystery in the fact that no one outside this man's family seemed ( or seems) to be too interested in solving this case.
One would think that if the government had truly thought that this man was under so much stress that he would pick such an obscure and agonizingly painful way to kill himself that they would have seriously looked into the potential for work conditions to have caused this level of stress.

As Fernald ( the plant where this incident occurred) has since been torn down, unless there's a confession of some type it's highly unlikely that this case will ever be solved.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:37 PM   #97
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

I also tend to discount the claim that "he tried to commit suicide before and finally succeeded".

IIRC, his previous suicide attempt was about 5 years before he died. At that time, he was depressed because he was going through a divorce. IMO, he had moved on from that low point in his life and it was unrelated to his death at the Fernald plant.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #98
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Who kills themselves this way? Usually when someone is suicidal they want to be found by someone, (which is why they leave suicide notes to explain why, IMO) which obviously doesn't fit jumping into a piping hot furnace. In addition to the makeshift rope they found with three loops, there's no doubt in my mind this man was murdered. The most open and shut case on Unsolved Mysteries IMHO. Bocks was probably going to expose the emissions being released by the plant and was silenced. The worst part of the story is that his family can't have his remains because they are too toxic for a proper burial.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #99
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Who kills themselves this way? Usually when someone is suicidal they want to be found by someone, (which is why they leave suicide notes to explain why, IMO) which obviously doesn't fit jumping into a piping hot furnace.
I agree. The only weird suicide I have ever heard of is that chick who flew to another state, checked into a motel room and killed herself. Why do all of that if your going to kill yourself? Just like why would Dave Bocks lower himself into a piping hot furnace. It makes no sense and at some point, common sense should play a significant part in all LE investigations.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 PM   #100
Kyte
The Greatest
Frequent Poster

I really cannot believe that some peple here actually think he committed suicide. This is probably the most obvious case of murder ever profiled on UM, and yet, just as in all the other extremely obvious cases, you have those 2-3 people trying to be non-conformist and crying suicide. But, whatever.

Even a damn concussed goldfish with cerebral palsy and down syndrome should realize this is murder. This is past the realm of common sense. The fact that that police department has ruled it in suicide tells me that there clearly was no investigation. How could you possibly tell me that a person who would commit suicide would do it in that sort of unspeakable fashion, and that what, his ghost was the one who closed the furnace back up? Really?

I sincerely hope that he wasn't conscious when he was lowered to that vat of nuclear magma. You'd have to give some serious effort to think up of a more gruesome and unimaginable death.
Kyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #101
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyte
I sincerely hope that he wasn't conscious when he was lowered to that vat of nuclear magma. You'd have to give some serious effort to think up of a more gruesome and unimaginable death.
I personally think he was killed before being placed in the furnace. Remember in the UM segment, the worker that was sifting through the furnace thought there was something foreign in there and when he told his supervisor (person of interest#1) brushed him off? It's a wonder why this case hasn't been solved. The eyewitness saw Bocks arguing with a supervisor (person of interest #2) in that car shortly before he died. Both of these people should have been investigated, especially after the toxic emissions became public.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #102
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyte
and that what, his ghost was the one who closed the furnace back up? Really?
LMFAO!!! My thoughts exactly. I've always asked that question of the conspiracy theorists. If he committed suicide, who closed the furnace??
Old 03-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #103
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

I think it's pretty obvious that Dave Bocks didn't commit suicide.

That being said... is it out of the realm of possibility that Dave may have had an "accomplice" in his suicide? One who may have closed the furnace after Dave jumped in?

Yes, I realize how absurd that sounds. I've always thought that Dave Bocks was murdered because he wasn't going to keep his mouth shut about something that was happening at his workplace. However, for the sake of argument... is it possible? Could he have had an accomplice that has never said anything?
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #104
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
I think it's pretty obvious that Dave Bocks didn't commit suicide.

That being said... is it out of the realm of possibility that Dave may have had an "accomplice" in his suicide? One who may have closed the furnace after Dave jumped in?

Yes, I realize how absurd that sounds. I've always thought that Dave Bocks was murdered because he wasn't going to keep his mouth shut about something that was happening at his workplace. However, for the sake of argument... is it possible? Could he have had an accomplice that has never said anything?
I'd say that it would be highly unlikely that if a person assisted in his suicide that they would have never came forward by now. Plus what would this person gain in helping a man kill himself?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #105
Kyte
The Greatest
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I personally think he was killed before being placed in the furnace. Remember in the UM segment, the worker that was sifting through the furnace thought there was something foreign in there and when he told his supervisor (person of interest#1) brushed him off? It's a wonder why this case hasn't been solved. The eyewitness saw Bocks arguing with a supervisor (person of interest #2) in that car shortly before he died. Both of these people should have been investigated, especially after the toxic emissions became public.
Obviously that person was involved in his murder and the subsequent cover-up. He knew damn well that something was in the furnace--he was the one who did it.
Kyte is offline   Reply With Quote