Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family & Good Times on Dec. 18; NBC Orders More Superstore Episodes
ABC 2019 Holiday Specials and Episodes; E! Sets Date for Reality Sitcom

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-04-2012, 03:10 AM   #16
Sean Conner
Frequent Poster

I just caught up on this episode and it was disturbing. Imagine the survivors of the dry runs - or the woman who got away after it appeared she was going to be his first kill? You gotta wonder if this guy is still out there doing this. So many people go missing on our roads every year that who knows how many, if any at all, are tied to him.

It's scary that we're coming up on 20 years now (well in 2016) and we're still no closer to solving this crime.

It's important, especially if you're female, to never, ever get into the car with a stranger. It doesn't matter how nice they look - just don't do it. And never pullover for anyone that isn't a cop (and even then, you've got to be careful).
Sean Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
ZanzibarBlue
ZanzibarBlue
Frequent Poster

I watched this segment again last night. It's ranks up there among the creepiest that UM produced.

For what it's worth, I understand that the woman who got into the car, who the perpetrator pushed out, identified someone. That person was also implicated in an attempted abduction of a woman from a nearby state park, after Alicia Showalter Reynolds went missing. Because there was an eyewitness identification, and the woman was sitting next to him in the truck cab, it's difficult not to believe that he was also responsbile for the murder of Alicia Showalter Reynolds.
ZanzibarBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
WishfulDreamer

I don't mean to be gross, but was there sexual assault? It seemed like that's what he wanted when he attacked the woman who was able to get away. It's just sick to think of him having this perverse fantasy and then killing an innocent woman over it. And amazing how they got an actor who looked very close to the sketch. He was able to play the good guy so well, too, and it goes to show that the wolf in sheep's clothing is very real and something we all need to look out for.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:56 AM   #19
WishfulDreamer

Going to bump this thread up as I've just watched the segment again. This is one of the cases that really, really bothers me. The descriptions of the suspect are so distinct (particularly the nervous behavior of him tucking his hair back frequently) and the sketch is pretty decent. I'm surprised someone didn't call in (also based on his car) and say that it sounded like somebody they knew.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:31 AM   #20
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
Going to bump this thread up as I've just watched the segment again. This is one of the cases that really, really bothers me. The descriptions of the suspect are so distinct (particularly the nervous behavior of him tucking his hair back frequently) and the sketch is pretty decent. I'm surprised someone didn't call in (also based on his car) and say that it sounded like somebody they knew.
I want to say some witnesses said he was seen in different vehicles. I wonder just how many. A car and a truck would be one thing. If he's been seen in even three or four or more different vehicles, that would make for interesting speculation.

Something about this man strikes me as someone who is probably completely and totally benign and normal to the vast majority of people, like he could be the next-door neighbor who weed-eats around your mailbox for you, or the co-worker who gets a coffee for you on his way to work in the morning.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #21
thinwhiteduke74
Forum Regular

Cold case file update: http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/05...ed-103068.html
thinwhiteduke74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:43 AM   #22
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I don't understand why they won't release certain details about this case. It's been almost 20 years now, and it still hasn't been solved.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:21 AM   #23
JannTosh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
I don't mean to be gross, but was there sexual assault? It seemed like that's what he wanted when he attacked the woman who was able to get away. It's just sick to think of him having this perverse fantasy and then killing an innocent woman over it. And amazing how they got an actor who looked very close to the sketch. He was able to play the good guy so well, too, and it goes to show that the wolf in sheep's clothing is very real and something we all need to look out for.

A really late response but it has been mentioned that police never released information on how exactly she died
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #24
jjmcgr
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Conner
I just caught up on this episode and it was disturbing. Imagine the survivors of the dry runs - or the woman who got away after it appeared she was going to be his first kill? You gotta wonder if this guy is still out there doing this. So many people go missing on our roads every year that who knows how many, if any at all, are tied to him.

It's scary that we're coming up on 20 years now (well in 2016) and we're still no closer to solving this crime.

It's important, especially if you're female, to never, ever get into the car with a stranger. It doesn't matter how nice they look - just don't do it. And never pullover for anyone that isn't a cop (and even then, you've got to be careful).
I think this crime has been solved only because a guy plead guilty to the earlier attack, the one where the woman got away near Quantico. His name is Darrell Rice. A relative had a home in Culpepper at which Rice often stayed. He also probably killed two women campers in Shenandoah National Park several months later. Rice checked into the park on all the days around the murders even though he did not live that close to it. He was later convicted of an attack on a hiker in the park a year later. I think the police simply do not have enough direct evidence to try him for the other crimes. He has been in and out of jail in recent years and I think he lives in Maryland with his parents now.
jjmcgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #25
baloony
Forum Regular

Man, it's hard to believe it has now been another 10 years since the 10 year anniversary of this crime.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:45 AM   #26
DALLASTEXAN!!

Saw this today nothing new but police still circulating this I guess. Every time I see a vehicle on the side of the highway with its flashers on I think about this segment.

http://wtop.com/virginia/2016/03/20-...investigation/
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #27
jjmcgr
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALLASTEXAN!!
Saw this today nothing new but police still circulating this I guess. Every time I see a vehicle on the side of the highway with its flashers on I think about this segment.

http://wtop.com/virginia/2016/03/20-...investigation/
I still think it was Darrell Rice who did it. He was was actually convicted of the Quantico attack which happened a month before Showalter and not that far away (but not on US 29). What are the odds two similar attacks would happen in the same area of Virginia and have never happened before. He probably killed those two girls in the National Park as well as he was also convicted of attacking a woman in the park and was checked into the park on all the days around the murders even though it is kind of far away from where he was living.
They apparently do not have enough evidence to prosecute him and last I heard he was out now living in Maryland.
jjmcgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:36 AM   #28
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Can't believe it's been 20 years as of March 2nd. Do they have any DNA evidence from the crime scene or Alicia's car to tie to a suspect?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:04 PM   #29
ctgrumpybear
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmcgr
I still think it was Darrell Rice who did it. He was was actually convicted of the Quantico attack which happened a month before Showalter and not that far away (but not on US 29). What are the odds two similar attacks would happen in the same area of Virginia and have never happened before. He probably killed those two girls in the National Park as well as he was also convicted of attacking a woman in the park and was checked into the park on all the days around the murders even though it is kind of far away from where he was living.
They apparently do not have enough evidence to prosecute him and last I heard he was out now living in Maryland.
There was talks he moved to CO but no proof have show up
Funny he is not on any Sex Offender Registry seeing he did time on federal kidnaping
ctgrumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #30
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
Can't believe it's been 20 years as of March 2nd. Do they have any DNA evidence from the crime scene or Alicia's car to tie to a suspect?
According to a 2014 article at the link below, police wouldn't comment on any evidence in the case, which is understandable. So, if they have any DNA evidence, they haven't tied it to anyone.

http://wjla.com/news/crime/alicia-re...nsolved-103068
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote