Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #91
browneyes106

The child genius segment
Tony Marabella segment
Fertility statues
browneyes106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #92
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

I didn't like the story about the dork who had the message in a bottle who was trying to find the people who found it and then wrote him a letter back. What mystery is this? Let's say that he did find the couple who wrote back to him...THEN WHAT? Outside of a possible 5 minute conversation that they would have, what else could they have possibly had to catch-up on/talk about? It just seemed kind of creepy to me that the boy (as an adult) would still be worried about finding 2 people who wrote him a letter, WHOM HE DID NOT KNOW AT ALL.

I also was never fond of the fertility statues or the story about the guy who got hit on the head and he became a psychic for the CIA (I think I'm remembering this story right). And the Kenneth Engie story I actually enjoyed but I do see how there really isn't a myster involved at all. If Curtis Heck did come back and rough him up, he still didn't kill him intentionally. At best he could have gotten some sort of manslaughter charge but that would even have been tough to get considering he wasn't going there to kill him. I guess some people just don't want to except the truth sometimes.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #93
Mastermind

It's important to keep in mind that a show with a schedule like Unsolved Mysteries had to rely on filler episodes every now and then.

The fertility statues and the "madness of world leaders" scream filler.

Sometimes they were not able to get cases or had production demands that required a filler segment.
Mastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 03:19 AM   #94
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Yes there's always filler on just about any news show (especially anyone's local news program), but the story about the message in a bottle always grinded my gears for some reason.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #95
smoothvirus
Occasional Poster

I think it was the first UFO story ever featured on UM but the Gulf Breeze UFO story is regarded by nearly everyone with an interest in the subject as a complete hoax. I think UM (and a lot of other people) got fooled on that one. In fact, I'm not even sure that segment even appears on the UM UFO DVD set.

Also the "Guardian" UFO story from Carp, Ontario. Total and complete hoax. The only reason anyone gave it any credibility is because Bruce Maccabee bought into it. I've talked with Dr. Maccabee before and though he does seem to be a really nice guy I think he got fooled by some Candian rednecks with some road flares and a white pickup truck.
smoothvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #96
Mastermind

Quote:
I think it was the first UFO story ever featured on UM but the Gulf Breeze UFO story is regarded by nearly everyone with an interest in the subject as a complete hoax. I think UM (and a lot of other people) got fooled on that one. In fact, I'm not even sure that segment even appears on the UM UFO DVD set.
I believe the model in Walters home was not found until way after this segment aired. Considering nearly 6,000 people saw the UFO, how could they NOT show it!!! It would be like not doing a Bigfoot segment under Strange Legends,

This model may not necessarily prove a hoax. Walters may have built the thing as a visual aid. There are also some difficulties he would have deploying this model.
Quote:
Also the "Guardian" UFO story from Carp, Ontario. Total and complete hoax. The only reason anyone gave it any credibility is because Bruce Maccabee bought into it. I've talked with Dr. Maccabee before and though he does seem to be a really nice guy I think he got fooled by some Candian rednecks with some road flares and a white pickup truck.
I don;t quite appreciate your phrase "Candian rednecks". Please refrain from using that phrase or any other potentially derogatory comments about ethnicity.

What proof do you have that it is a hoax? How is this case any different from ANY of the UFO cases they show. Are you suggesting the UM not have shown UFO cases?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #97
smoothvirus
Occasional Poster

WRT Gulf Breeze it wasn't just the model. It was also that witnesses came forward that they helped Walters fake the photos. I also read his book and the bit where MUFON gave him the sealed 3D camera and how he handled that seemed very fishy to me. And the real clincher is that the photo of the UFO hovering over the road has been conclusively proven to be a fake. Can't really blame the producers of UM, Walters fooled a lot of people and made a whole truckload of cash off of book advances. I think the fact that this segment was not included on the DVDs speaks volumes.

OK so at least the Gulf Breeze was a pretty good hoax, but looking back at it I'm amazed that so many people bought into the Guardian case. First there's the laughably fake "classified" documents, the badly faked alien footage, leaving the video as the only thing even slightly credible. The clincher was the stories from other UFO researchers who felt that Bob Oshcler and Mrs Lambanek were working together to fake the whole thing. Looking at the "saucer" footage 20 years on now, it looks... fake.

So anyway, although I consder myself a UFO skeptic, I really enjoyed the UFO segments on UM. The Wytheville case and the Texas case were well done and still have me scratching my head.

So anyway I do consider myself a UFO skeptic but I really enjoyed the UFO
smoothvirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #98
Mastermind

Quote:
I think the fact that this segment was not included on the DVDs speaks volumes.
I don't think that would have stopped them from putting it on the DVDs.

They've put the Anastasia episde on video and it was proven she was a fake.
They even had the update that said so.

I think it has more to do with rights and space requirements.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #99
Allierain
17-year lurker
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by connieallbright
I can't stand the child genius who prefers museums and archeology digs. That boy is a chore to listen to - I'd love an update on what he's up to these days.
Didn't you hear? He just retired.
Allierain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #100
cuba_libre
Frequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to cuba_libre
Oh No um

Normally, I try to be cool about kids, but that child genius made me want to choke him out! Him whining about the dinosaur bones...ugh!

The aphrodisiac segment was also wack as hell! That made the show jump the shark....
cuba_libre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 AM   #101
yolate
Frequent Poster

Default I can't believe no one has mentioned...

The segment where the guy keeps being mistaken for another guy who supposedly looks just like him. However, nobody knows who the "twin" is nor do they ever ask him his name, job, etc. whenever they run into him (usually five minutes before the first guy shows up). The whole thing is ridiculous.
yolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:19 AM   #102
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolate
The segment where the guy keeps being mistaken for another guy who supposedly looks just like him. However, nobody knows who the "twin" is nor do they ever ask him his name, job, etc. whenever they run into him (usually five minutes before the first guy shows up). The whole thing is ridiculous.
Jim Boomgarden. A lot of people here thought this case was a hoax. A relative of his actually posted semi-recently and said that Jim passed away a few years after the segment aired and that they never did locate the twin.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:56 AM   #103
UMfan77

How about the one about stockbrokers using astrology as a guide for doing their job? In the segment, several stockbrokers (one in siloette) were admitting to using astrology, and their clients not knowing about it. Several random people off the street were interviewed and were asked about it, they each said they would think the stockbroker was crazy. One stockbroker was crediting his use of astrology for saving his clients tons of money, because he was able to foretell a huge drop in the stockmarket. What do you all think about this segment? True or totally made-up?
UMfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #104
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMfan77
How about the one about stockbrokers using astrology as a guide for doing their job? In the segment, several stockbrokers (one in siloette) were admitting to using astrology, and their clients not knowing about it. Several random people off the street were interviewed and were asked about it, they each said they would think the stockbroker was crazy. One stockbroker was crediting his use of astrology for saving his clients tons of money, because he was able to foretell a huge drop in the stockmarket. What do you all think about this segment? True or totally made-up?
I think he was one lucky stockbroker. The very fact that he was unwilling to appear on camera and share his story tells you all you need to know, I think, about consulting the stars for stock advice.

I know I am in the minority on this, but I like the message-in-a-bottle segment. That's the sort of light-hearted fare that I understand UM wanting to include. There's still a mystery; if you'll recall, the guy who put the message in the bottle put the bottle in the water into Lake Erie from the Quebec side of it. When he got the message back - 20 years later - it came in an envelope postmarked San Diego. Much of the segment was focused on whether or not the bottle could have actually circumnavigated the globe; by finding the person who sent the message back, the guy hoped to find out if the person had actually found the bottle recently on the coast of California - which would suggest that the bottle had indeed made it out to the Atlantic from Lake Erie via the St. Lawrence River, and then been taken by the currents all the way around the globe to the other side of the North American continent - or whether the person had found it somewhere close to where the guy had throw it in the water, but only mailed it, for whatever reason, years later from San Diego. I, for one, would like to know the answer to this question, so I thought it was a fun little "mystery": could a message in a bottle really make it around the world?

I also thought the Jim Baumgartner segment was a fine segment, if indeed he was telling the truth (which, apparently, he was). There was someone, in his case, he was actually looking for, so there was a real mystery to be solved there. I don't usually like the "Lost Love" segments, but this is one of the few for which I make an exception.

As for the ghosts & UFO segments, to me, they are not great subjects for Unsolved Mysteries, because they are never going to be "solved" in any meaningful way most of the time; the best that can usually happen is that a hoax will be exposed. That said, I realize that most of them are harmless fun, so I try not to be too much of a sourpuss about them, but there is once case I mention upthread that I thought was truly awful: the one about the black slave ghosts who come back from the dead to murder white people. I mean, this was just the worst kind of racist pablum. It indulges every sort of terrible, racist stereotype and racial fear that coddled suburban white people secretly nourish, and all for something that ISN'T EVEN REAL!!!!!!! Just an awful, awful segment; if I were Stack, I would have refused to narrate it. I think it is that offensive.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #105
Mastermind

Quote:
As for the ghosts & UFO segments, to me, they are not great subjects for Unsolved Mysteries, because they are never going to be "solved" in any meaningful way most of the time; the best that can usually happen is that a hoax will be exposed. That said, I realize that most of them are harmless fun, so I try not to be too much of a sourpuss about them, but there is once case I mention upthread that I thought was truly awful: the one about the black slave ghosts who come back from the dead to murder white people. I mean, this was just the worst kind of racist pablum. It indulges every sort of terrible, racist stereotype and racial fear that coddled suburban white people secretly nourish, and all for something that ISN'T EVEN REAL!!!!!!! Just an awful, awful segment; if I were Stack, I would have refused to narrate it. I think it is that offensive.
This is personal taste and viewpoint. Your more into the Unsolved Murders rather than the Mysterious Phenomenon. Fine, it's your perrogative. Several people loved this segments and for a time UM was the only show on TV during the 80s and 90s that handled

Unsolved Mysteries was indeed inspired a lot by "In Search of.." and in fact took over that shows audience in a way.

Personally I think there UFO and Ghost segments were as well done from a production standpoint. The Mothman, Roswell, Allagash Abduction cases, and Black Hope Curse are among the more memorable and frightening

I hate to break this to you, but the reason you like Unsolved Mysteries has nothing to do with seeing these cases solved. You like UM because of that internal desire and fear that people have of the unknown, whether it be an unsolved murder,

We are frightened of the Cindy James case for the same reason we are frightend of the Allagash Abduction...we fear the concept of an unseen subject that we are powerless to stop.

Nobody is a 100% sure of anything in life. There is always that percentage of doubt and uncertainty that makes life interesting. UM is about that percentage of doubt and uncertainty.

That's why we love mysteries so.