Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #76
zack007attack
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
Arnold's post inspired me to search the google news archive. I narrowed it down to "stefonek" for the years between 1985 and 1990. The previously posted article is the only one I could find regarding this murder. The archive doesn't have a follow up article reporting the discovery of his body.

I thought it was kinda weird that the article said a two tone blue van was involved. I thought UM said it was a white (with green trim) full size ford bronco style four by four with a cow catcher on the front.

The UM website quotes the rest area care taker as saying that he saw a "pick-up" at the rest area two hours before Mr. Stefonek's car was set on fire.

About 15 minutes after the care taker showed up, a highway maintenance supervisor stopped by. He saw the care taker's truck and what he described as "a white Chevy pick-up", "a four wheel drive Chevy with blue trim and a cowcatcher on the front".

The sketch does not show what I consider to be a pick up. It looks like a full size Chevy Blazer. Of course, on my monitor, the sketch is only about 1 1/2 by 2 inches so details are hard to see. When I look at the pic, I see this: http://www.anglersfishinginfo.com/cl...ehicles/terry/

Heck, the one in the link even has the cow catcher on the front. I'm wondering if they were standard or at least straight from the manufacturer and not an aftermarket item. But that thing is not what I call a cow catcher. Looks more like a brush guard type thing. I wonder if localized differences in descriptions basically caused a language barrier that created problems with getting this case solved. I know the descriptions are confusing me, 25 years later, and I live in the Motor City! lol I should know this stuff.

Mr. Stefonek told his son that he intended to save time by stopping in rest areas rather than checking into motels. I believe he planned to sleep in his car at rest stops.

He left his son's home in Oregon early on Monday and his car was found in Montana, on fire about 10am the next morning, Tuesday.

It really bothers me that a grieving widower, a senior citizen, small in stature, hard of hearing, and traveling on a long road trip alone, was murdered so brutally.

Everyone here has put forward a lot of good theories on what happened. Not knowing the people involved, and just basing this on a "feeling", if this was sexually motivated as mentioned earlier, I don't think it would have been a scenario where Mr. Stefonek propositioned someone or accidentally gave indicators that he was interested in having an encounter with a man in the rest area.

If something like that happened, I'd think it was more of a situation where the man propositioned Mr. Stefonek, with negative results. Please forgive the stereotyping, but he was 5'6" and slightly built. Maybe he was attractive to the murderer, who "tapped his foot" and was rebuffed. Possibly Mr. Stefonek even used a slur against him when telling him that he wasn't interested. This could have incited a rage, which many of us agree was involved in the killing.

Another theory discussed previously was that locals were covering for one of their own by not going to police with knowledge or suspicions they may have had. This was seen in the murders (also 1985) of the two Michigan hunters, Brian Ognjan and David Tyll. They were murdered by local bullies who wanted to basically commit a thrill killing. It was especially horrific and the murders were witnessed by many people, including at least two people who were not involved. Fear of these killers caused the witnesses to not cooperate with the investigation. IIRC, they finally broke their silence once the killers were in jail on other charges and could not seek retribution against them. ( http://www.freewebs.com/davidandbrian/casedetails.htm )

Also, if locals are covering for one of their own, and this was sexually motivated, perhaps they know that "Joe Killer" hangs out at the rest area looking for dates. But back in 1985 they didn't want to reveal this information, since homosexuality was generally not an accepted lifestyle, especially in the rural areas of the US. They may have thought that revealing their friend/relative's sexuality would have been a huge detriment to their social standing and preferred to ignore it.

Another weird thing is that it's suspected that Mr. Stefonek's body was placed at the dump around the time of the murder, but his belongings weren't placed there until much later. Since this was over the winter months in a northern state, I'm guessing that snow accumulation could indicate if the body had been there longer than the suitcase. Not knowing those details, I'm assuming that the body and belongings were placed there at the same time.

Perhaps a garbage picker was going through the suitcase when he realized it probably belonged to the recent murder victim. This is also assuming that he had read the news and knew Mr. Stefonek's car was burned up and that the man and his suitcase were missing. Maybe he just panicked at that point or had criminal issues of his own and didn't want to get involved with police.

Was the amount of money left behind in the suit case ever revealed? Authorities said that they pretty much ruled out robbery as a motive, since the car was immediately destroyed and the money wasn't stolen from the suitcase. I wonder if it was a big wad of cash that was being used for traveling money. Mr. Stefonek had been staying away from home for an extended period of time. I wonder if he lived on cash, traveler's checks, or credit cards while he was away from his local bank.
Those are some good ideas. I don't think it was a sexually motivated crime, there's no evidence of it.

To me, the fact that Dexter's possessions were ransacked and turned inside out, I find it hard to believe the killer would have missed the money no matter how large a quantity it was. So that should rule out robbery.

I think the theory we should all consider, which I haven't noticed on this thread, is that Dexter may have been a victim of a serial killer. There are many kinds of serial killers, including some that choose their victims at random without any regard for gender or age. To me, that sounds like a thrill-type serial killer.

His possessions were certainly searched through and his wallet with ID was left behind and other items were scattered around the dump. That reminds me of serial killer Rafael Resendez Ramirez. He killed 30 people over a span of 12 years in states including Texas, Florida, and Illinois. One thing he did that is pretty uncommon among killers with random victims is he laid out their personal possessions in their homes especially drivers licenses, to learn about the lives he had taken. He wouldn't take cash but would take valuable possessions such as jewelry and melt them down to sell them. Dexter didn't seem to have any valuable items in his car.

The timeline goes:
Dexter pulls into the rest area early that morning, his killer was either already there or was on his way there. He pretends he needs help or immediately flashes a gun to Dexter. He takes him out to a remote area of the Montana country close to the landfill, and kills him on the way there or on spot, then tries to bury his body but keeps the possessions. On the way back to the rest area, he stops to fill a gas container. Since he was seen in Dexter's car at the rest area, he has to wait until no one is there to load the possessions in his truck then torch the car. In the process of getting away from the crime scene, he looks over the possessions as was his habit, then when he is finished with them, he passed through the landfill where Dexter still lays dead to dispose of them.
zack007attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #77
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Oh yeah, that Rafael Resendez Ramirez guy.... He sure had an odd MO, traveling the country by train, not stealing anything of real value (I think he usually ate food from the victim's fridge), then he laid out their ID while often lingering around the crime scene.

So many weird serial killers out there with more and more unusual MOs. It's making it kinda hard to fit these guys into a standard "profile" in order to predict their behaviors or use that info as a tool in capturing these guys.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #78
Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Karpis
I felt so bad for Dexter, he had lost his wife and must have felt so alone, I wish he would have stayed the entire winter with his son
Looking back on it, I have become convinced that the reason for Dexter's decision to leave his son's home when he did was because being back at his own residence would help him cope with his wife's death. My surmise is that he had been delaying part of the grieving process by spending the last few months at his son's home in Oregon. This might actually explain his eagerness to go back to his home in Wisconsin.
Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #79
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack007attack
Those are some good ideas. I don't think it was a sexually motivated crime, there's no evidence of it.

To me, the fact that Dexter's possessions were ransacked and turned inside out, I find it hard to believe the killer would have missed the money no matter how large a quantity it was. So that should rule out robbery.

I think the theory we should all consider, which I haven't noticed on this thread, is that Dexter may have been a victim of a serial killer. There are many kinds of serial killers, including some that choose their victims at random without any regard for gender or age. To me, that sounds like a thrill-type serial killer.

His possessions were certainly searched through and his wallet with ID was left behind and other items were scattered around the dump. That reminds me of serial killer Rafael Resendez Ramirez. He killed 30 people over a span of 12 years in states including Texas, Florida, and Illinois. One thing he did that is pretty uncommon among killers with random victims is he laid out their personal possessions in their homes especially drivers licenses, to learn about the lives he had taken. He wouldn't take cash but would take valuable possessions such as jewelry and melt them down to sell them. Dexter didn't seem to have any valuable items in his car.

The timeline goes:
Dexter pulls into the rest area early that morning, his killer was either already there or was on his way there. He pretends he needs help or immediately flashes a gun to Dexter. He takes him out to a remote area of the Montana country close to the landfill, and kills him on the way there or on spot, then tries to bury his body but keeps the possessions. On the way back to the rest area, he stops to fill a gas container. Since he was seen in Dexter's car at the rest area, he has to wait until no one is there to load the possessions in his truck then torch the car. In the process of getting away from the crime scene, he looks over the possessions as was his habit, then when he is finished with them, he passed through the landfill where Dexter still lays dead to dispose of them.
I agree w/ portions of the scenario you have described. However, the sexual motive has to remain in "play" until and unless the killer is found and his motives are discovered. It's pretty much an "open secret" that a number of nominally "straight" men use rest areas as places to "cottage."
Just because this man was 67 years old and a grandfather doesn't mean that he didn't also.

My only problem w/ not taking the cash (which had to be a considerable amount for the police not to mention how much) is that there was no reason for the killer NOT to take it.
Unless it was sequential bills or was wrapped in a deposit slip showing that amount of money, the killer could have taken the money and had no problems w/ spending it. It might not even have been missed when/if the body was found.

1) The killer already being there: Likely,but since it was bitterly cold, he would have had to be running the motor in his vehicle to keep warm.

2) Killer just arriving: A more likely scenario because a man of Mr. Stefonek's age and experience in driving might not have stopped at a rest stop where another driver was at already.

3) There would have to have been some type of extended conversation between the assailant and Stefonek. One reason why is that slightly built and shorter men are more likely to be armed than larger ones. The killer had to at least sense that Mr. Stefonek was unarmed before he struck.

4) Where did the killer get the gasoline used to burn the truck? If, as shown in the segment, he had the gasoline in two antifreeze containers, wouldn't that have seemed odd to the people at the gas station? Also, exactly how many gas stations were there up there in 1985? Couldn't have been too many.

Finally,it was 1985. There was no "pay at the pump." You went in to pay for your gas or an attendant filled you up. Either way you'd have to make contact w/ someone that would remember you.Or remember the type of car you were driving.

5) The Arizona plates. This also bugs me. There can't be that many trucks in Arizona even in 1985 matching that description and most probably wouldn't have had a camper shell. Even fewer would have had a cattle catcher. And was the license really covered by (as shown on the segment) or did the maintenance supervisor simply forget the number?

If it was covered by snow, how did the driver avoid being pulled over at least once while driving around up there?
And Montana is known for closely watching for cars w/ out of state plate (in fact, you have 30 days to change tags if you are from out of state or else you'll be ticketed). That being the case, how was the suspect able to be in the area w/o arousing some type of police suspicion?

Ironically, unless there was evidence in the car that would something had happened to Mr. Stefonek, the killer made his biggest mistake burning Stefonek's vehicle. Had he simply either driven past the rest stop and returned later the maintenance worker was gone or had simply filled his truck w/ the gas he bought and abandoned Mr Stefonek's car, there would have been no search for Mr. Stefonek for an extended period.

If there had been, then the search would have most likely a "missing endangered adult" type of search rather than "hunting for a murderer" search. In fact. if he had flattened one of the tires, there would have been a plausible reason for Mr. Stefonek's car to have remained there.

This is yet another case where a confession is going to be the only solution.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #80
nohwheregirl
THE Mystery Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack007attack
Are we totally sure about this? It's been a little while since I watched the segment, but I don't remember if the investigators explicitly ruled out sexual motives or not. If they didn't do so explicitly, that doesn't necessarily mean there's no evidence, just that they haven't revealed any evidence to the public.
nohwheregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #81
cocytus
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohwheregirl
Are we totally sure about this? It's been a little while since I watched the segment, but I don't remember if the investigators explicitly ruled out sexual motives or not. If they didn't do so explicitly, that doesn't necessarily mean there's no evidence, just that they haven't revealed any evidence to the public.
No,no one during this segment explicitly ruled out there being a sexual motive of some type for this crime. The body was found fully clothed, except for his right boot, so any "sexual activity"
might have been consensual, at least at first.

You also have to wonder if that rest area is commonly known to be a hangout for nominally "straight" men who are looking to have "encounters" with other men. If so, that would've led investigators in in a potentially new direction, the may have solved this case sooner.
cocytus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #82
ILikeTurtles
Frequent Poster

Just rewatched the case. One of my favorites (is it morbid to say that) in UM history.

Somehow this case, in my mind, will never be solved. Details are too vague.
ILikeTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #83
ILikeTurtles
Frequent Poster

Just rewatched the case. One of my favorites (is it morbid to say that) in UM history.

Somehow this case, in my mind, will never be solved. Details are too vague.
ILikeTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:28 PM   #84
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus
If it was covered by snow, how did the driver avoid being pulled over at least once while driving around up there?
And Montana is known for closely watching for cars w/ out of state plate (in fact, you have 30 days to change tags if you are from out of state or else you'll be ticketed). That being the case, how was the suspect able to be in the area w/o arousing some type of police suspicion?

Wait... what?! I am not familiar with any type of law that states that, nor do I believe that Montana officers closely watch cars with out of state license plates. However, I live in a more urban area of Montana. Perhaps this is the case in more rural areas like Glendive.

I shot an email to the Dawson County Sheriff's Department in regards to this case a few years ago, to no avail. Perhaps it's time to send another one....
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:45 PM   #85
Thiussat
Forum Regular

I think this is a case of some random hot-head going into a rage about something that Dexter said or did to him, etc. Perhaps, as the segment said, Dexter refused to give him a ride or go get him gas (sort of like the Charles Holden case). That's the only scenario that makes sense. I find the serial killer angle less likely since Dexter was a man. There are a few serial killers that kill men, but they are certainly the exception.

As for the sexual angle, I must say that the name "Hot Jock" does sound pretty gay. I had forgotten about that tidbit of the segment until I just went and watched it again. It does make one pause and consider the sexual angle. Just saying.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #86
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Wait a minute. Hot Jock? I thought that was someone on a CB related to the murders of prostitutes. Am I missing something?
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #87
MissFit29
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
Wait a minute. Hot Jock? I thought that was someone on a CB related to the murders of prostitutes. Am I missing something?
I think that was from a line of graffiti written in the Bad Route rest area bathroom. They think it's connected because there was a reference to Wisconsin in the graffiti.
MissFit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #88
mozartpc27
Vigilante Logician
Forum Regular

From the article that was posted, I find the most interesting detail the revelation that the unknown person was seen pouring gas into his truck. Now, I suppose it is possible the killer did this only for show to the witnesses, that in fact the only reason he had the gas at all was to burn Stefonek's car, but it does strongly suggest to me that the killer was, in fact, out of gas.

And I just wonder - could this be the entire motive? Think about it. A guy runs out of gas, and manages to get into a secluded rest stop in Montana in the dead of winter. Who knows how long he has been there. It's frigid. He's losing time. He's angry, feeling desperate, and then along comes this little old man. He asks the old man for help, probably aggressively, and the old man, perhaps cantankerous himself after a long night of driving, perhaps naturally suspicious with age, and perhaps put off by the man's gruff demeanor, refuses. Our assailant, frustrated, simply loses it - commandeers the vehicle, etc., and in the process kills the man.

This raises two questions: obviously, the guy acquired some gas from somewhere. Presumably, a canvass was done of nearby gas stations, which, in Montana of the 1980s, I am betting there weren't a whole lot. What was the result of this cavass?

The other question: why did this guy bother to empty Stefonek's belongings from Stefonek's car, if he had no intent to steal any of them, if he also intended to burn the car entirely? Doesn't this suggest redundant effort?

Still a very weird case.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:36 AM   #89
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Why wasn't a composite drawing ever released? surely the guy who saw him there would have been able to give a decent account.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #90
justins5256

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb4884
Why wasn't a composite drawing ever released? surely the guy who saw him there would have been able to give a decent account.
I seem to remember Robert Stack saying something about "the sketchy description of the suspect himself" so I would assume that the description given by the witness may not have been good enough to create a composite off of.

The witness was an older man, I believe. Maybe he had poor vision, or just didn't see the suspect straight on long enough to give police a description. Who knows when they found this witness? It may have been some time after the car fire, and his memory of the suspect's appearance may have been vague.

Since the witness likely thought nothing was out of the ordinary when he initially spoke to the suspect, he made not have taken real good notice of him.

Just some ideas.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote