Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
crystaldawn

Question Anyone remember Walter Rice segment?

I was going through some NBC episodes today I received in a trade and came across this one. I had never seen it and don't remember it even being mentioned on the board. It was an elderly black man named Walter Rice. He was a recluse and lived in a trailer in McCormick, SC. He never talked with his neighbors and seemed to have no family. Apparently gradually his utilities were shut off due to non-payment and his mail was being returned (apparently no one knew or cared enough to figure out why). Finally 2 men are attempting to rob Walter's trailer and when they break in find Walter's lifeless body in his trailer. He had apparently died of a heart attack a year earlier!! Seeing the body scared the robbers away so (people speculate as much as a month or two later) persuade one of their girlfriends to call police and then Walter's body was located. He died in early '92 and was 73 years old. He was found to have an estate worth $140,000 and UM was looking for heirs. By going through some check stubs they found in his apartment they found out he worked as a cook in Connecticut for 10 years. His former co-workers really knew nothing about his personal life but he did live in a dorm for the restaurant workers and they speculate this was how he was able to save up so much money. They do know his birthdate and that he had several siblings but don't think he ever married or had children so are hoping a niece or nephew will come forward. Another interesting clue they found was that Walter had a passport and it was full of stamps from all sort of exotic locations. Anyone remember seeing this segment?
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
synthisislab
Forum Regular

Nope, it doesn't ring a bell but sounds like a great candidate for vol 15.
synthisislab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
joshypiano
Stack-a-holic
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to joshypiano Send a message via MSN to joshypiano Send a message via Yahoo to joshypiano

What date do you have for this one? I don't have it in any of my lists or on any episode guide I can find. Are the other segments from this episode you watched well known?
joshypiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshypiano
What date do you have for this one? I don't have it in any of my lists or on any episode guide I can find. Are the other segments from this episode you watched well known?
I have the airdate as 1/26/94. The other segments on this episode are Amy Billig, update where a baby abandoned to a good samaritan on a train finds her birth family, Oliver Munson disappearance and Meredith Atkinson is searching for her birth mother Rose Marie Ledbetter. All of those segments (with the exception of the Rice one) are well known.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #5
joshypiano
Stack-a-holic
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to joshypiano Send a message via MSN to joshypiano Send a message via Yahoo to joshypiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
I have the airdate as 1/26/94. The other segments on this episode are Amy Billig, update where a baby abandoned to a good samaritan on a train finds her birth family, Oliver Munson disappearance and Meredith Atkinson is searching for her birth mother Rose Marie Ledbetter. All of those segments (with the exception of the Rice one) are well known.

Thanks. I'm glad I asked you that question because when I went back to add the Rice case to my list, I realized I don't have the Munson case listed anywhere in my list at all and its one of those cases i remember really well. I noticed it's not on yours either.
joshypiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
george ramos
Frequent Poster

Wow, his dead body was in his trailer for one year? That's creepy.
george ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by george ramos
Wow, his dead body was in his trailer for one year? That's creepy.
I agree and its also very sad. I mean can you imagine being dead for a year and nobody even realizing you were gone or missing you?
Old 06-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #8
mphs95
Remember me?
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to mphs95

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystaldawn
I was going through some NBC episodes today I received in a trade and came across this one. I had never seen it and don't remember it even being mentioned on the board. It was an elderly black man named Walter Rice. He was a recluse and lived in a trailer in McCormick, SC. He never talked with his neighbors and seemed to have no family. Apparently gradually his utilities were shut off due to non-payment and his mail was being returned (apparently no one knew or cared enough to figure out why). Finally 2 men are attempting to rob Walter's trailer and when they break in find Walter's lifeless body in his trailer. He had apparently died of a heart attack a year earlier!! Seeing the body scared the robbers away so (people speculate as much as a month or two later) persuade one of their girlfriends to call police and then Walter's body was located. He died in early '92 and was 73 years old. He was found to have an estate worth $140,000 and UM was looking for heirs. By going through some check stubs they found in his apartment they found out he worked as a cook in Connecticut for 10 years. His former co-workers really knew nothing about his personal life but he did live in a dorm for the restaurant workers and they speculate this was how he was able to save up so much money. They do know his birthdate and that he had several siblings but don't think he ever married or had children so are hoping a niece or nephew will come forward. Another interesting clue they found was that Walter had a passport and it was full of stamps from all sort of exotic locations. Anyone remember seeing this segment?
CD, I watched this on your Vol 15 and it broke my heart. How sad to be dead and not noticed for a year, only to be found by criminals breaking into your home.
mphs95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
mah79
Frequent Poster

Hi Everyone,
I just recently saw the Walter Rice case. Actually, the only place I was able to access the case was with the Spanish translation of Unsolved Mysteries (Misterios Sin Resolver, Herederos Perdidos=Unsolved Mysteries, Lost Heirs). I am fluent in Spanish, so I was able to get the gist of what happened to Walter (the heart attack, the 2 robbers who discovered his body, how he worked as a chef from 1963 to 1983 and amassed his fortune). I remember of course the Oliver Munson, Rose Marie Ledbetter and Amy Billig cases from NBC and Lifetime, but nothing on Walter.
Was there ever any update on Walter, or his heirs? What a very sad story.
On a side note, has anyone ever had the opportunity to watch UM in another language. It is quite an interesting experience...especially for cases that I have never seen before.
THese are other Misterios Sin Resolver that I have found: Oliver Munson, I think Chaim Weiss, the antique bible (Charles Lazarus), Oscar Norton and Lorene (the woman whose sisters were looking for her after their mother died and left her a fortune). Pretty interesting stuff.

Last edited by crystaldawn; 01-23-2010 at 07:57 PM.
mah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
rhzunam
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah79
On a side note, has anyone ever had the opportunity to watch UM in another language. It is quite an interesting experience...especially for cases that I have never seen before.
THese are other Misterios Sin Resolver that I have found on youtube: Oliver Munson, I think Chaim Weiss, the antique bible (Charles Lazarus), Oscar Norton and Lorene (the woman whose sisters were looking for her after their mother died and left her a fortune). Pretty interesting stuff.
I watched it sometimes in Spanish and I hated it. Especially since they were mysteries that I hadn't seen in English including the Raymond Burr episode.

As for this case, is this the one that had the cooking students telling him what would he do for the weekend and he always laughed and said the same phrase (I don't remember the specific phrase)?
rhzunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
mah79
Frequent Poster

Yes, that's the one. I never caught what he said to the other chefs. One of them said (I'm translating) "YOu know what today is, right?" And Walter says, "Yes, it's Saturday night." Then he says something else but i forget what.
mah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #12
Gelatinous Goo
Frequent Poster

Walter Rice--Born July 6, 1920, Died Feb. 1992, McCormick, SC. Social Security card was issued by the State of Florida. At some point his address is listed as being 507 S. Oak St., McCormick, SC, 29835. This is now a vacant lot on a quiet street with small southern-style houses.

The 1930 census lists a Walter Rice, born around the same time and living in Connecticut. The ages nearly matched up, but the ethnicity was wrong. There was a Walter Rice in Florida, but the DOB is off by two years and the day and month are off.

This one will be tough to crack due to his common name and the lack of a middle name. If only we had access to his passport/other documentation.
Gelatinous Goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
xxxxmattxxxx69
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelatinous Goo
Walter Rice--Born July 6, 1920, Died Feb. 1992, McCormick, SC. Social Security card was issued by the State of Florida. At some point his address is listed as being 507 S. Oak St., McCormick, SC, 29835. This is now a vacant lot on a quiet street with small southern-style houses.

The 1930 census lists a Walter Rice, born around the same time and living in Connecticut. The ages nearly matched up, but the ethnicity was wrong. There was a Walter Rice in Florida, but the DOB is off by two years and the day and month are off.

This one will be tough to crack due to his common name and the lack of a middle name. If only we had access to his passport/other documentation.

I believe in a spike edition of this case they said since he was dead for too long without an heir coming forward the state of SC got whatever money he left in his will
xxxxmattxxxx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #14
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxmattxxxx69
I believe in a spike edition of this case they said since he was dead for too long without an heir coming forward the state of SC got whatever money he left in his will
Spike covered that segment?!?!? Why would they rehash such a pathetically sad story knowing it had a pathetic ending? I can certainly understand UM doing it in an attempt to find an heir, but I feel there is absolutely no reason to re-broadcast a story like that, all these years later. Poor man.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
xxxxmattxxxx69
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Spike covered that segment?!?!? Why would they rehash such a pathetically sad story knowing it had a pathetic ending? I can certainly understand UM doing it in an attempt to find an heir, but I feel there is absolutely no reason to re-broadcast a story like that, all these years later. Poor man.

Ya Spike covered that segment. Thats even worse than the ones they update after the suspects have been released from prison(Greg Webb)
xxxxmattxxxx69 is offline   Reply With Quote