Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #76
WishfulDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I lived in southern Arizona for about half a year in a county that borders the area where David Stone disappeared. I saw nearly a foot of snow on the ground there in December once. The desert can get bitterly cold and icy. It was probably some of the most beautiful and amazing landscape I've ever seen.
This. I've been to deserts all over the southwest. Once the sun goes down, it can get absolutely freezing.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #77
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
I lived in southern Arizona for about half a year in a county that borders the area where David Stone disappeared. I saw nearly a foot of snow on the ground there in December once. The desert can get bitterly cold and icy. It was probably some of the most beautiful and amazing landscape I've ever seen.
I'm jealous.

I went to New Mexico in July back in 2003 and it was depressingly hot during the daytime. The next morning we woke up and dressed appropriately for what we thought would be another hot summer day and it was freezing cold at day break. People can be unprepared, as Stone obviously was, for the western weather.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #78
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I'm jealous.

I went to New Mexico in July back in 2003 and it was depressingly hot during the daytime. The next morning we woke up and dressed appropriately for what we thought would be another hot summer day and it was freezing cold at day break. People can be unprepared, as Stone obviously was, for the western weather.
Absolutely loved it there. Definitely planning on going back for vacation sometime in the next few years.

I think unprepared is precisely what David Stone was. The whole case really sucks. The guy was evidently an intelligent, talented, and successful individual. I wonder what circumstances brought him to aimlessly wandering around the desert.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #79
Jetjack74
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanikaT8
It occurred to me that David may have had a brain tumor. His behavior and personality changed suddenly and drastically. I agree that drugs are a strong possibility, but I also see a tumor as an option.
I think in light of what we're beginning to understand about playing football, which David Stone did throughout his young life, he may have been experiencing some cognitive brain disfunction issues as after-effects from playing football. I think there is a strong possibility he may have been suffering from CTE which would explain the violent outbursts and odd behavior.
Jetjack74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #80
ontarioboi
Frequent Poster

good point. never understood why americans love this barbaric sport, should be banned and not played at all
ontarioboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 AM   #81
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarioboi
good point. never understood why americans love this barbaric sport, should be banned and not played at all
Oh, like no one's ever spit out teeth playing hockey.

That being said, the long-term consequences of repeated head trauma in sports is a serious matter. David Stone's angry outburst at the party is consistent with the irritability often suffered by people who have sustained TBIs. However, that particular injury pattern can't really explain the other behaviors he exhibited just prior to his disappearance, such as the religiosity and related behaviors. People who have had their dome rocked multiple times get headaches, forget things, lose visual focus, become irritable. They don't normally do things like search for The Beast and scribble Fibonacci sequences in the dirt.

But, as Jetjack said, we're really just beginning to better understand TBI and mTBI. I've known several people who have been diagnosed with it and it unfortunately remains to be seen what long-term consequences they may suffer as a result. I hope the DoD and VA continue to fund research and treatment here in the States.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #82
ontarioboi
Frequent Poster

i also believe the actor he punched in the segment was the same guy who played adam hecht.
ontarioboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:45 AM   #83
Hambone2421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjack74
I think in light of what we're beginning to understand about playing football, which David Stone did throughout his young life, he may have been experiencing some cognitive brain disfunction issues as after-effects from playing football. I think there is a strong possibility he may have been suffering from CTE which would explain the violent outbursts and odd behavior.
I agree with this. I recently re-watched the segment and when his father mentioned him being a terror on the field, I immediately thought of CTE.
Hambone2421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:45 PM   #84
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone2421
I agree with this. I recently re-watched the segment and when his father mentioned him being a terror on the field, I immediately thought of CTE.
Given our recent developments in this area of brain research, I have to agree. It all kinda falls into place...
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:51 AM   #85
VethixoDisco
Banned
Banned!!
Frequent Poster

I believe that David did drugs. He displayed erratic behavior for someone who led a successful, and normal lifestyle for a while, and his change had seem to be overnight. I believe he was abusing drugs before he got involved in this new age movement, could've been the reason why he got interested in the first place. Him attacking his friend out of nowhere seems to indicate that.

For him to leave his belongings behind it could've been a "shedding of his past or materialistic belongings". I wonder if the rocks he set-up could've been markers so in case he got lost he had a familiar sight to lead him back to his car.

Oh, and for the people speculating about him making it out of the desert, because the dogs picked his scent up near the highway, someone/something could've took a possession off of him and headed in that direction, not him personally.
VethixoDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:16 AM   #86
EighthStreet
Frequent Poster

Just watched this one on Hulu. Did a quick Google map of where he disappeared (Granite Peak) and where he was found (Granite Gap). It's a solid 70 miles by road through at least one town (Truth or Consequences) and around a reservoir. He had to have hitched hiked between the two.

The CTE angle is interesting, I think it's also possible he had schizophrenia that was just starting to manifest. The part about "you takes your tea and you takes your chances" probably relates to some hallucinogenic he acquired that he drank like a tea, and made his mental condition worse.
EighthStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:39 PM   #87
Love A Good Mystery
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetjack74 View Post
I am a medical reporter and have written about concussions, CTE and TBI. The points made in the post above are extremely plausible.
Love A Good Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #88
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

At the time that the segment was filmed, David was still missing, so naturally his family had hoped he had gone off on a "vision quest" and was still alive. I don't fault UM for playing up the "New Age" angle in the segment. The segment says David attacked his friend at a party on October 28th, 1988. The next day he told his friend he was going to go away for a few days to work on his anger issues. What UM left out, for reasons unknown, was that David left his home in San Diego and was traveling to El Paso, Texas to be the best man in his friend's wedding! So he actually had a reason to be out in the New Mexico area. When he never arrived for the rehearsal, his father began contacting law enforcement. You can read this article written shortly after his remains were found which contains this new info.

So knowing this new information, I wonder if it's possible that David's car was leaking carbon monoxide (a la Dan Wilson), and that is the reason for his sudden departure of his route to El Paso. He was about 3 hours away from his destination when he stopped off in New Mexico. Like Dan Wilson, he diverted off his intended destination and went elsewhere. Like Dan Wilson, he became violent and angry seemingly out of nowhere shortly before he disappeared. And like Dan Wilson, he abandoned his car and set out on foot before perishing. I think that this is a possible explanation for his erratic behavior, and the weird clues he left behind.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:08 AM   #89
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
At the time that the segment was filmed, David was still missing, so naturally his family had hoped he had gone off on a "vision quest" and was still alive. I don't fault UM for playing up the "New Age" angle in the segment. The segment says David attacked his friend at a party on October 28th, 1988. The next day he told his friend he was going to go away for a few days to work on his anger issues. What UM left out, for reasons unknown, was that David left his home in San Diego and was traveling to El Paso, Texas to be the best man in his friend's wedding! So he actually had a reason to be out in the New Mexico area. When he never arrived for the rehearsal, his father began contacting law enforcement. You can read this article written shortly after his remains were found which contains this new info.

So knowing this new information, I wonder if it's possible that David's car was leaking carbon monoxide (a la Dan Wilson), and that is the reason for his sudden departure of his route to El Paso. He was about 3 hours away from his destination when he stopped off in New Mexico. Like Dan Wilson, he diverted off his intended destination and went elsewhere. Like Dan Wilson, he became violent and angry seemingly out of nowhere shortly before he disappeared. And like Dan Wilson, he abandoned his car and set out on foot before perishing. I think that this is a possible explanation for his erratic behavior, and the weird clues he left behind.
Interesting! Good find!

The segment really did portray the situation as though David just wanted to get away to clear his head after the events at the party. While I think it's certainly within the realm of possibility he might have discussed with other people that he wanted to go to the area in which he was eventually found, leaving out the actual reason he took off on that drive in the first place was a little irresponsible on UM's part, I think. That changes the situation pretty significantly.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #90
EighthStreet
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986 View Post
article written shortly after his remains were found which contains this new info.
Off topic, but the columns on page 7B are kind of funny. One is about a new Oldsmobile with turn-by-turn navigation (how accurate or useful could that have possibly been in 1992), and an Ann Lander's column with a totally true and not made up letter from a mother blaming her daughter's prom night escapades on evil television programs. I mean, seriously, what do you think prom night is for, anyway?
EighthStreet is offline   Reply With Quote