Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube


Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Reviving Weakest Link; truTV's I'm Sorry Gets Charitable
HBO Max Orders Series Based on Hair Love; Comedy Central Inks Deal with John Mulaney
Dead to Me Picked Up for Final Season on Netflix; CBS All Access Orders Star Trek Animated Comedy
ABC to Rebroadcast Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family and Good Times Episodes on Tuesday (July 7); Anthony Anderson and Billy Eichner to Guest Host ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! This Week
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 6, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Amazon Gets Streaming Rights to Mad Men; Too Close for Comfort on Pluto TV
Fri-Yay: Streaming Services Remove Episodes of Sitcoms Due to Racial Jokes; The Kominsky Method Final Season Announced


New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June/July)

Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven

04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - How to Be a Gentleman - The Complete Series
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/09 - No Activity - Season 1
06/09 - Superior Donuts - Season Two
06/23 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 10th Season
06/23 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
06/23 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Seventh Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
06/30 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven
07/07 - Will & Grace - The Revival - Season Three - The Farewell Season
07/21 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Tenth Season

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
ididn'tdoit
Member
Forum Regular
 
ididn'tdoit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2006
Posts: 404
Default Don Smith - any updates?

Hey everyone! I re-watched this segment yesterday but I couldn't find anything about this sad case here on the board.

For those of you who don't remember he was the guy who picked up a hitchhiker and was later found murdered.

This mysterious man was seen with Don several times, including at his daughter's work when she wasn't there and at a bar where he met his daughter and was obviously drunk. His daughter became quite upset with him for making a scene and kind of snapped at him which of course she regretted because that was the last time she ever saw him alive.

Don's pickup truck was later involved in a car accident in which a man who fitted the description of the hitchhiker took off and was never seen again.

Anyone knows if this was ever solved or if there was an update?
ididn'tdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididn'tdoit
Anyone knows if this was ever solved or if there was an update?
As of a couple of weeks ago when this was aired on Lifetime (with Farina) there was no update in this case.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
justins5256
Member
Senior Member
 
justins5256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 08, 2002
Posts: 3,832
Default

The Don Smith case reminds me of the Phillip Fraiser case. Both men were likely murdered by hitchhikers they picked up while traveling. Also, the hitchhikers seemingly didn't care that they were seen in the presence of their respective victims and carried out the the murders despite that fact. Considering that both Smith and Fraiser likely had no relationship with their killers before they crossed paths out on the road, these crimes will be extremely difficult to solve.

I am not aware of an update in either case.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
ididn'tdoit
Member
Forum Regular
 
ididn'tdoit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 03, 2006
Posts: 404
Default

Thanks guys, what a shame he hasn't been caught - just as I suspected though

What beats me is why the hitchhiker had to kill him . Don didn't seem like he had a lot of money or anything, such a senseless crime.

Anyway, I agree with you justins5256, that's what strikes me the most about this case and Phillip Fraser - the fact that the hitchhikers were seen several times and they were able to come up with some pretty good composites yet both are (to our knowledge) still at large.
ididn'tdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
RobinW
Member
Senior Member
 
RobinW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 14, 2010
Posts: 1,852
Default

Though there's nothing funny about the case itself, the re-enactment provided one of my all-time biggest UM laughs when Don Smith drunkenly turns to everyone in the bar and yells: "ANYONE WANNA FIGHT?!" .
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinW
Though there's nothing funny about the case itself, the re-enactment provided one of my all-time biggest UM laughs when Don Smith drunkenly turns to everyone in the bar and yells: "ANYONE WANNA FIGHT?!" .
I always found that quite amusing too.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
WishfulDreamer
Member
Senior Member
 
WishfulDreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 01, 2009
Location: L.A.
Posts: 3,379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
I always found that quite amusing too.
Especially the look on the daughter's face right after he says it. She pretty much looks like she wants to say "I'm outta here!"
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,987
Default

There is absolutely nothing about this case online, outside of UM related websites. That's very frustruating because I think this has got to be one of the most senseless crimes UM ever profiled. And, thanks to UM's ambiguity, we're left with several questions:

-Were Don's two dogs he had with him at the time of his death ever found?
-If they were located, where were they?
-Did Don ever tell his daughter who the "hitchiker" was, and how they met?
-What was the motive behind Don's murder? To gain access to a truck?

I'm sure the daughter had to have been somewhat curious as to who the guy was sitting in her father's truck. I wonder if she did in fact ask him who his was and if Don offered any clues to the guy's identity. Unfortunately, if he did, UM left that part out. I tend to think the killer is either dead or in prison for another crime. I would still like to see the killer identified. I wonder if "Larry Monroe" was actually his real name or just an alias.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
Victoria81
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 20, 2011
Posts: 339
Default

Just watched this. You would think he could be found :/ I like how the daughter did the re-inactment. You don't normally see that!
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
MegtheEgg86
Member
Senior Member
 
MegtheEgg86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 19, 2008
Location: The Volunteer State
Posts: 4,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
There is absolutely nothing about this case online, outside of UM related websites. That's very frustruating because I think this has got to be one of the most senseless crimes UM ever profiled. And, thanks to UM's ambiguity, we're left with several questions:

-Were Don's two dogs he had with him at the time of his death ever found?
-If they were located, where were they?
-Did Don ever tell his daughter who the "hitchiker" was, and how they met?
-What was the motive behind Don's murder? To gain access to a truck?

I'm sure the daughter had to have been somewhat curious as to who the guy was sitting in her father's truck. I wonder if she did in fact ask him who his was and if Don offered any clues to the guy's identity. Unfortunately, if he did, UM left that part out. I tend to think the killer is either dead or in prison for another crime. I would still like to see the killer identified. I wonder if "Larry Monroe" was actually his real name or just an alias.
Like justin I too think of Philip Fraser. I wonder what made Don decide to pick "Larry Monroe" up to begin with being that he had a truck full of belongings and two large dogs.
__________________
"Why is she lying?, it makes me wonder. What is she hiding?, it makes me wonder."

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Like justin I too think of Philip Fraser. I wonder what made Don decide to pick "Larry Monroe" up to begin with being that he had a truck full of belongings and two large dogs.
My best guess would be company for the long trip. The weirdest part for me is the fact that "Larry Monroe" was the one who went into the hospital looking for Don's daughter. Why was he the one who went in instead of Don? And if "Larry Monroe" planned on killing Don all along, would he really care that much about helping him find his daughter?
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Victoria81
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 20, 2011
Posts: 339
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
My best guess would be company for the long trip. The weirdest part for me is the fact that "Larry Monroe" was the one who went into the hospital looking for Don's daughter. Why was he the one who went in instead of Don? And if "Larry Monroe" planned on killing Don all along, would he really care that much about helping him find his daughter?


Yeah really...he had no problem showing his face all over.
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #13
justins5256
Member
Senior Member
 
justins5256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 08, 2002
Posts: 3,832
Default

Bump.

I just watched this one recently.

My gut feeling is that Don Smith probably picked up this guy "Larry Monroe" who was hitchhiking. From the re-enactments, and some of the comments made by the Smith's daughter, I got the vibe that Smith was an "angry drunk." (Who wants to fight?! I can whip anyone in here!!) I think he could have gotten in to an argument with the hitchhiker, and the hitchhiker killed Smith in a rage, and disposed of Smith's body, then stole Smith's truck and continued on to wherever his final destination was (or at least as far as he could get before the accident, which forced him to flee for obvious reasons). I say this because the hitchhiker (assuming he was the killer) allowed himself to be seen in Smith's company by numerous witnesses, including some who had a vested interest in Smith's well-being (the daughter, the daughter's co-workers). I doubt he would do this if murder was his endgame. Also, it sounds as though Smith was beaten and hit repeatedly in the head with some sort of jack that belonged in his truck. This would also be in line with anger being a motive, and the perp using whatever weapon was within reach, as opposed to using a gun or knife of his own.

As to what his ultimate end-game or plan was with Smith, it's hard to say. It could be something as simple as the guy was hitchhiking, he killed Smith in a rage and then had to dispose of his body and vehicle. I just have a hard time believing the guy would have allowed himself to be seen by so many people if he planned to hurt Smith from the get-go.

All this being said, I wonder how deeply the police checked for "Larry Monroe" - if the guy wasn't intending to kill Smith, that could, hypothetically, be his real name. Additionally, I wonder if any fingerprints were found in the car Monroe was driving, or in the motel room. I think it's reasonable to assume he left prints, as he would have been driving the vehicle and not planning to get in to an accident and ditch it as he did. From that, perhaps we could surmise the guy does not have a record, as he would have been located by now.
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #14
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy
Senior Member
 
TheCars1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 22, 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 6,987
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justins5256
Bump.

I just watched this one recently.

My gut feeling is that Don Smith probably picked up this guy "Larry Monroe" who was hitchhiking. From the re-enactments, and some of the comments made by the Smith's daughter, I got the vibe that Smith was an "angry drunk." (Who wants to fight?! I can whip anyone in here!!) I think he could have gotten in to an argument with the hitchhiker, and the hitchhiker killed Smith in a rage, and disposed of Smith's body, then stole Smith's truck and continued on to wherever his final destination was (or at least as far as he could get before the accident, which forced him to flee for obvious reasons). I say this because the hitchhiker (assuming he was the killer) allowed himself to be seen in Smith's company by numerous witnesses, including some who had a vested interest in Smith's well-being (the daughter, the daughter's co-workers). I doubt he would do this if murder was his endgame. Also, it sounds as though Smith was beaten and hit repeatedly in the head with some sort of jack that belonged in his truck. This would also be in line with anger being a motive, and the perp using whatever weapon was within reach, as opposed to using a gun or knife of his own.

As to what his ultimate end-game or plan was with Smith, it's hard to say. It could be something as simple as the guy was hitchhiking, he killed Smith in a rage and then had to dispose of his body and vehicle. I just have a hard time believing the guy would have allowed himself to be seen by so many people if he planned to hurt Smith from the get-go.

All this being said, I wonder how deeply the police checked for "Larry Monroe" - if the guy wasn't intending to kill Smith, that could, hypothetically, be his real name. Additionally, I wonder if any fingerprints were found in the car Monroe was driving, or in the motel room. I think it's reasonable to assume he left prints, as he would have been driving the vehicle and not planning to get in to an accident and ditch it as he did. From that, perhaps we could surmise the guy does not have a record, as he would have been located by now.
That's a very good point "Larry Monroe" going out of his way being seen is evidence that murder was not his plan from the beginning. He was the one who entered the hospital to find Don's daughter, and he was the one who entered the bar first. I do not think the murder was a crime of passion, however. Shortly after Don's sister wired him $200, he was murdered. And "Larry Monroe" was seen with Don when he picked up the money.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #15
justins5256
Member
Senior Member
 
justins5256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 08, 2002
Posts: 3,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
That's a very good point "Larry Monroe" going out of his way being seen is evidence that murder was not his plan from the beginning. He was the one who entered the hospital to find Don's daughter, and he was the one who entered the bar first. I do not think the murder was a crime of passion, however. Shortly after Don's sister wired him $200, he was murdered. And "Larry Monroe" was seen with Don when he picked up the money.
So do you think this was a robbery turned murder? Or, do you think Monroe knew he had the money (wired to him for some other reason) and just decided to kill him for it?
justins5256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Frequently Asked Questions

1) How do I contact Unsolved Mysteries with information on segments?

If you any information on cases, you can contact them via:

Website: www.unsolved.com

Contact form on official Unsolved Mysteries site

Please note that their old mailing address and 1-800 phone number no longer work.


2) Where can I watch Unsolved Mysteries?

Unsolved Mysteries is available for streaming on Amazon Instant Video, YouTube and Hulu.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.