Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Leave it to Beaver Online / Leave it to Beaver links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Leave it to Beaver Photo Gallery


Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set)

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete First Season (Limited Edition Gift Set with Cleaver Family Photo Album) on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Three

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Three on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Four

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Four on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Five

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Five on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - Season Six

Buy Leave it to Beaver - Season Six on DVD
Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series

Buy Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series (2019 Release) on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1950s Sitcoms > Leave it to Beaver

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Renews The Moodys for Second Season; NBC Preparing to Put Peacock Into Flight
Fri-Yay: Never Have I Ever, Netflix's Best Sitcom; Ramy Gets Season 3 on Hulu
NBC Reviving Weakest Link; truTV's I'm Sorry Gets Charitable
HBO Max Orders Series Based on Hair Love; Comedy Central Inks Deal with John Mulaney
Dead to Me Picked Up for Final Season on Netflix; CBS All Access Orders Star Trek Animated Comedy
ABC to Rebroadcast Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family and Good Times Episodes on Tuesday (July 7); Anthony Anderson and Billy Eichner to Guest Host ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! This Week
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 6, 2020)


New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June/July)

Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven

04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - How to Be a Gentleman - The Complete Series
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/09 - No Activity - Season 1
06/09 - Superior Donuts - Season Two
06/23 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 10th Season
06/23 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
06/23 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Seventh Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
06/30 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven
07/07 - Will & Grace - The Revival - Season Three - The Farewell Season
07/21 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Tenth Season

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2020, 07:09 PM   #31
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Moderator
Senior Member
 
stevea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 13, 2003
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
You know, those Woolworth's lunch counters lasted quite awhile, probably into the 90s. That was back when there were several decent malls in the local area, and there was a Woolworth's with a lunch counter at Lafayette Square mall. They made great burgers!
Somebody else mentioned G. C. Murphy--I think that's the one that was in the mall thru the 90s, and had a lunch counter.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:03 PM   #32
Scrabjan1
Member
Senior Member
 
Scrabjan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 27, 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,182
Default

Going to Woolworth’s for a banana split and paying 1 cent was a treat. You could order the banana split and then you could pick a balloon that hung up draped around the snack bar and they would break it and that’s what you would pay for the split. I think the maximum was $.59.
Scrabjan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:59 PM   #33
GentlemanJim
Member
Forum Regular
 
GentlemanJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 311
Default

The company that I worked for built what was at the time the largest mall on the planet. (After we expanded it a few times).

Woolworth's was one of our original tenants from 1971 onward. They occupied a two story space with their own escalator. This was located in "in line" space, not a separate anchor building. They were there until 1994 if I recall correctly.
The noteworthy thing about Woolworth was all the "fake competition" specialty stores they also owned and located through out the malls they operated in.

FootLocker, Northern Reflections, Afterthoughts, and Champ Sports being some of the more recognizable names. I believe that Footlocker is the only one that still survives.

We had seven anchor Department stores in that mall
Montgomery Wards
Ohrbach's
Bullock's
JW Robinson
The Broadway
None of which exist anymore

Plus Sears and JCPenney, which likely are not long for the world
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:16 PM   #34
Tankeryanker
Member
Forum Regular
 
Tankeryanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2014
Posts: 474
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
The company that I worked for built what was at the time the largest mall on the planet. (After we expanded it a few times).

Woolworth's was one of our original tenants from 1971 onward. They occupied a two story space with their own escalator. This was located in "in line" space, not a separate anchor building. They were there until 1994 if I recall correctly.
The noteworthy thing about Woolworth was all the "fake competition" specialty stores they also owned and located through out the malls they operated in.

FootLocker, Northern Reflections, Afterthoughts, and Champ Sports being some of the more recognizable names. I believe that Footlocker is the only one that still survives.

We had seven anchor Department stores in that mall
Montgomery Wards
Ohrbach's
Bullock's
JW Robinson
The Broadway
None of which exist anymore

Plus Sears and JCPenney, which likely are not long for the world
and now malls are out...
__________________
Tankeryanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:38 PM   #35
GentlemanJim
Member
Forum Regular
 
GentlemanJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankeryanker View Post
and now malls are out...
LOL, we sold the mall in 2003, because we anticipated that on-line shopping would doom the mall paradigm.
And the 2008 crunch destroyed the company that bought us out.

Shrewd timing on our part, I would say.
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:36 PM   #36
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Moderator
Senior Member
 
stevea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 13, 2003
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankeryanker View Post
and now malls are out...
Right, there were no malls in the 50s, few malls in the 60s, now few malls in the 20s, and maybe no malls in the future.

In the Indianapolis area now, there are only 2 viable inside malls--Castleton Square and Greenwood Park. Castleton Square does have one of the largest Macy's in the chain.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:00 PM   #37
Tankeryanker
Member
Forum Regular
 
Tankeryanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 22, 2014
Posts: 474
Default

I am okay with the mall decline.

I was a teen in the late 70s early 80s and enjoyed the teenage privilege of going by myself or with friends.

Nowadays the mall seems like a place for trouble. There have been shootings in some and hordes of gangs.

I hate Amazon for what they have done to the last of the mom and pop, but they sure have everything the mall had...

Oh, my family used to shop at the first JC Penny. JCPenny has been a mall staple since the beginning.

http://worldclassbenchmarking.com/wp...umbergrule.jpg
Tankeryanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:54 PM   #38
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity
 
Bonniegirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 10, 2014
Posts: 46,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrabjan1 View Post
Going to Woolworth’s for a banana split and paying 1 cent was a treat. You could order the banana split and then you could pick a balloon that hung up draped around the snack bar and they would break it and that’s what you would pay for the split. I think the maximum was $.59.
That is so cool!! I don't remember that? Maybe you are older than me or they didn't do that in the Woolworth's I went to?
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #39
GentlemanJim
Member
Forum Regular
 
GentlemanJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 311
Default

There are a few malls that are still doing well. Most of those have shifted their target to the upper middle class who seek not just a shopping trip, but an overall experience.

Pampered by clerks who will stroke their egos, and then a fine dining experience with a white tablecloth and an upscale wine selection. Then, hang out at the "lifestyle center" before going home.

I've never got caught up in " high fashion" personally. Slacks and a dress shirt for the office, add a jacket and tie for important meetings, and jeans along with last year's dress shirts for my leisure time. Meets all my needs just fine.

But, I guess to those who find great importance in fashion, having a clerk telling them how "smashing" they look in the newest "whatever" really seems to work in terms of stuffing shopping bags.
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #40
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Moderator
Senior Member
 
stevea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 13, 2003
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,375
Default

Ah! Here, that sounds like the Fashion Mall--Keystone at the Crossing. One step inside you feel like you don't belong.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #41
GentlemanJim
Member
Forum Regular
 
GentlemanJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Ah! Here, that sounds like the Fashion Mall--Keystone at the Crossing. One step inside you feel like you don't belong.
There in Indianapolis, you have the headquarters of Simon Properties, and they seem to know what they are doing. They have assembled an impressive collection of trophy shopping centers.

Shoppers who will spend $250 on a whim for clothing they are not sure they really need, and then stop by a boutique barber on their way out to spend $50 for a haircut and $12 on two beers while they watch sports on a bigscreen and swap war stories with the barber (and other guests).....they are the future for the big malls
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 01:30 PM   #42
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 43,454
Default

I was born in 1985 and I remember Woolworth’s when I was around 5-6. There was one fairly close to us and it was the only pharmacy/discount store that had a soda fountain inside. I remember the ladies who worked at the counter watched us kids while our mothers shopped. I believe this store closed around 1992 or 1993.
I also got to smoke only once in a restaurant. NYC changed their public smoking laws around the early 2000s, but New Jersey did it a little bit later. I visited a friend in Old Bridge around 2004 and we were lighting up Black and Mild’s in a Denny’s. The NJ laws eventually banned it.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 09:57 PM   #43
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Moderator
Senior Member
 
stevea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 13, 2003
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
There in Indianapolis, you have the headquarters of Simon Properties, and they seem to know what they are doing. They have assembled an impressive collection of trophy shopping centers.

Shoppers who will spend $250 on a whim for clothing they are not sure they really need, and then stop by a boutique barber on their way out to spend $50 for a haircut and $12 on two beers while they watch sports on a bigscreen and swap war stories with the barber (and other guests).....they are the future for the big malls
They do know what they're doing. If it's close to failing, they sell. That's probably why they sold Lafayette Square and Washington Square.

I agree with "Tanker" that I don't miss them. The only problem is they leave these big empty shells behind, mostly from the failed department store spaces sitting there unused.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:06 PM   #44
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Moderator
Senior Member
 
stevea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 13, 2003
Location: Indy
Posts: 9,375
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I was born in 1985 and I remember Woolworth’s when I was around 5-6. There was one fairly close to us and it was the only pharmacy/discount store that had a soda fountain inside. I remember the ladies who worked at the counter watched us kids while our mothers shopped. I believe this store closed around 1992 or 1993.
I also got to smoke only once in a restaurant. NYC changed their public smoking laws around the early 2000s, but New Jersey did it a little bit later. I visited a friend in Old Bridge around 2004 and we were lighting up Black and Mild’s in a Denny’s. The NJ laws eventually banned it.
It's interesting to hear about more of these soda fountains that were still around in the 1990s. It would be unheard of to leave a kid in a stranger's care nowadays.

Southern New Jersey had a mall around 1960, Cherry Hill Mall--one of the first. It had at least a Strawbridge's, Gimbel's, and probably John Wanamaker (all Phila. area dept. stores), but I don't remember a Woolworths. In those days most areas had their own dept. stores. In Indiana they were L. S. Ayres, Block's, and H. P. Wasson Co.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:55 PM   #45
JamesG
Freakshow
Moderator
Forum Celebrity
 
JamesG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 01, 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 43,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
It's interesting to hear about more of these soda fountains that were still around in the 1990s. It would be unheard of to leave a kid in a stranger's care nowadays.
Probably not. I wouldn't say they were strangers per se, these ladies worked at the store for 40-something years and my mom and her friends saw them there when they were younger.

Still, I don't think people would agree to watch over kids today (liability).



I've been there a few times, there is this neat place in Downtown Brooklyn called Brooklyn Farmacy and Soda Fountain that's made to look like the old lunch counters from "back in the day".

They aren't a pharmacy so they can't legally call themselves one, hence "Farmacy".
Attached Images
  
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.