Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board

The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Never Have I Ever, Netflix's Best Sitcom; Ramy Gets Season 3 on Hulu
NBC Reviving Weakest Link; truTV's I'm Sorry Gets Charitable
HBO Max Orders Series Based on Hair Love; Comedy Central Inks Deal with John Mulaney
Dead to Me Picked Up for Final Season on Netflix; CBS All Access Orders Star Trek Animated Comedy
ABC to Rebroadcast Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family and Good Times Episodes on Tuesday (July 7); Anthony Anderson and Billy Eichner to Guest Host ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! This Week
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 6, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Amazon Gets Streaming Rights to Mad Men; Too Close for Comfort on Pluto TV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (April/May/June/July)

Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season Head of the Class - The Complete First Season Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven

04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
05/05 - Kidding - Season 2
05/19 - The Good Place - The Final (Fourth) Season
05/19 - The Good Place - The Complete Series - Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
05/26 - Silicon Valley - The Complete Series
06/02 - Work in Progress - Season 1
06/09 - Head of the Class - The Complete First Season (WBShop.com)
06/09 - How to Be a Gentleman - The Complete Series
06/09 - Letterkenny - Seasons 3 & 4
06/09 - Modern Family - The Eleventh and Final Season
06/09 - No Activity - Season 1
06/09 - Superior Donuts - Season Two
06/23 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 10th Season
06/23 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Sixth and Final Season
06/23 - Last Man Standing - The Complete Seventh Season
06/23 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Third Season (Blu-ray)
06/30 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Seven
07/07 - Will & Grace - The Revival - Season Three - The Farewell Season
07/21 - Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Complete Tenth Season

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

View Poll Results: What is Felice's best episode?
The Girls' School [Diff'rent Strokes] 3 37.50%
Rough Housing 0 0%
Like Mother, Like Daughter 0 0%
The Return of Mr. Garrett 0 0%
IQ 4 50.00%
Overachieving 0 0%
Emily Dickinson 0 0%
Dieting 0 0%
The Facts of Love 0 0%
Flash Flood 0 0%
Adoption 0 0%
Running 0 0%
Molly's Holiday 0 0%
Dope 0 0%
Gossip 4 50.00%
Sex Symbol 0 0%
Pretty Babies 0 0%
Dear Me 0 0%
Green-Eyed Monster 0 0%
The Way We Were, Part 2 [Archival footage] 0 0%
The Little Chill 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2018, 06:40 PM   #1
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

Default Felice's best episode?

There were some episodes where Felice's role was big, and other episodes where her role was small. Which episode was her best work? Which episode do you feel Felice had the best chance to shine?

This is a multiple choice poll, so you can vote for more than one episode, if you can't decide on just one.

Last edited by RetroGuy2000; 07-30-2018 at 05:27 AM.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:21 AM   #2
Lorimar Television

Looks like we both picked the same answers except for The Little Chill. She certainly had more substance than Cindy but she wasn't given enough for me to vote that episode.
Old 07-30-2018, 03:45 AM   #3
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorimar Television View Post
Looks like we both picked the same answers except for The Little Chill. She certainly had more substance than Cindy but she wasn't given enough for me to vote that episode.
I see what you're saying, Lorimar, but for me there is just enough Nancy to make me feel like she shone, here. She's even the first of "our" Eastland girls to get pregnant. Though I do think much of the episode is Sue Ann-centric.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
'80sSitcoms

Wow, even "archival footage"---you definitely took everything into consideration! lol

For me it's no contest, TGS hands down.

Honorable mentions go to "Gossip" and "Dear Me" for a look at her rivalry with Blair and her friendship with Blair, respectively.
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:20 PM   #5
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by '80sSitcoms View Post
Wow, even "archival footage"---you definitely took everything into consideration! lol
Well, I wanted to be as complete as possible. I didn't want anyone complaining later on that they couldn't vote for TWWW2. You could see part of the back of Nancy's head for a few frames.

Quote:
For me it's no contest, TGS hands down.
That does seem to be the general consensus. Interestingly enough, that's got to be the episode with the most characters: not just the regular cast (minus one teacher), but also the entire DS crew! And yet, Nancy has a good-sized role, here, despite there being exactly 1,000,000 girls!

Quote:
Honorable mentions go to "Gossip" and "Dear Me" for a look at her rivalry with Blair and her friendship with Blair, respectively.
Good point about "Dear Me". That seems to be a mostly Tootie-centric episode, but Nancy does get some time to shine, too.

"Gossip" was a very good episode for Nancy. She had a prominent role, and even got some time with an Eastland globe!
Old 07-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Well, I wanted to be as complete as possible. I didn't want anyone complaining later on that they couldn't vote for TWWW2. You could see part of the back of Nancy's head for a few frames.

Quote:
That does seem to be the general consensus. Interestingly enough, that's got to be the episode with the most characters: not just the regular cast (minus one teacher), but also the entire DS crew! And yet, Nancy has a good-sized role, here, despite there being exactly 1,000,000 girls!
Hahaha! Yes, what irony...the episode in the dorm where there are 1,000,000 girls and some adults, Nancy actually gets the meatiest appearance around! lol...really, they could find a way for her to shine over about 27 people (including the few adults who appear), but they couldn't find a way for her to shine over first 9, then 8 other people?? ('79 and '80 shows, respectively)

Quote:
Good point about "Dear Me". That seems to be a mostly Tootie-centric episode, but Nancy does get some time to shine, too.
Yup, when I think of Nancy in the cafeteria years, G, DM, and GEM immediately spring to mind.

Quote:
"Gossip" was a very good episode for Nancy. She had a prominent role, and even got some time with an Eastland globe!
The only girl who did! With one of the "10, 12" globes!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Interestingly enough, Jerrett Lennon, the original Mark Foster from Step By Step, stated on this board that he gets residual checks from that show, from scenes in the opening credits where just the back of his head/leg/etc can be seen. Since that's the case, it's possible that Felice gets a check for TWWW2, too. (I know Lorimar participated in that thread).

Quote:
Hahaha! Yes, what irony...the episode in the dorm where there are 1,000,000 girls and some adults, Nancy actually gets the meatiest appearance around! lol...really, they could find a way for her to shine over about 27 people (including the few adults who appear), but they couldn't find a way for her to shine over first 9, then 8 other people?? ('79 and '80 shows, respectively)
I know: it's so weird. "Well, we only have 22 minutes for so many actors..." "But you only had 22 minutes during the pilot, too!" "Well, we're working on a character..." "But I had a character!"

As you recently noted, Felice did well in the backdoor pilot: she had a gamut of different emotions that she managed to portray very well.

The only thing that I can think is that maybe she didn't test well in a focus group, because what we saw on screen couldn't have caused her part to vaporize like it did.

Quote:
The only girl who did! With one of the "10, 12" globes!
Hahah!

But I think there must have actually been 10, 12 globes!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 PM   #8
'80sSitcoms

Quote:
Interestingly enough, Jerrett Lennon, the original Mark Foster from Step By Step, stated on this board that he gets residual checks from that show, from scenes in the opening credits where just the back of his head/leg/etc can be seen. Since that's the case, it's possible that Felice gets a check for TWWW2, too. (I know Lorimar participated in that thread).
Nice for such actors! lol

Quote:
The only thing that I can think is that maybe she didn't test well in a focus group, because what we saw on screen couldn't have caused her part to vaporize like it did.
I don't know; no one's ever mentioned a focus group, but it is a possibility. So far I've always thought that the writers just ran with these other characters they created---and new character Cindy, and new girl Mindy---and "Nancy" just unintentionally got shoved back to the back burner.

Quote:
But I think there must have actually been 10, 12 globes!
Ha!
Old 07-30-2018, 10:29 PM   #9
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
I don't know; no one's ever mentioned a focus group, but it is a possibility. So far I've always thought that the writers just ran with these other characters they created---and new character Cindy, and new girl Mindy---and "Nancy" just unintentionally got shoved back to the back burner.
How could that sidelining have been unintentional? We saw she had plenty of lines in an episode where there were 13 other actors with lines (the four Drummonds, Mr. Crocker, Mrs. Garrett, Mr. Robinson the board guy, Blair, Molly, Sue Ann, Tootie, Jennifer, and Laura). Yet when there only 10 characters, she couldn't get more than ten lines per episode, outside of "IQ"? She had a phone bit, an umbrella bit, or a putting-on-tight-pants bit. But the writers even scripted her on-air firing.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2018, 12:16 AM   #10
'80sSitcoms

^---lol, well Mrs. Garrett sure didn't keep Sue Ann in "Garrett's Group" for long!

Quote:
How could that sidelining have been unintentional? We saw she had plenty of lines in an episode where there were 13 other actors with lines (the four Drummonds, Mr. Crocker, Mrs. Garrett, Mr. Robinson the board guy, Blair, Molly, Sue Ann, Tootie, Jennifer, and Laura). Yet when there only 10 characters, she couldn't get more than ten lines per episode, outside of "IQ"? She had a phone bit, an umbrella bit, or a putting-on-tight-pants bit. But the writers even scripted her on-air firing.
Because it seems cruel for them to shove her away on purpose, lol...I want to give the benefit of the doubt. With Felice having gone to the producers distraught, "What happened to my character?!" they eased her mind "promising" her she was going to have material to do. But among the characters they quickly saw what a great rivalry/duo Blair and Sue Ann were, what comics Tootie and Natalie were, the intriguing idea of a tomboy, being sure to give the ERA girl some feminist lines, and Nancy just "got lost the in the shuffle".

Possibly. Of course I can't say that for sure, but I just like to think she slipped through the cracks, rather than the writers dropped her through the cracks! lol
Old 07-31-2018, 01:40 AM   #11
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
Because it seems cruel for them to shove her away on purpose, lol...I want to give the benefit of the doubt. With Felice having gone to the producers distraught, "What happened to my character?!" they eased her mind "promising" her she was going to have material to do. But among the characters they quickly saw what a great rivalry/duo Blair and Sue Ann were, what comics Tootie and Natalie were, the intriguing idea of a tomboy, being sure to give the ERA girl some feminist lines, and Nancy just "got lost the in the shuffle".

Possibly. Of course I can't say that for sure, but I just like to think she slipped through the cracks, rather than the writers dropped her through the cracks! lol
I just don't see how it could have been anything but a conscious decision. Especially after she went to Al Burton and asked why her role had been reduced. Surely at that point, the writers must have seen how small her role had become, even if they hadn't done it intentionally.

And because scripts are rewritten up until the day of taping, they could have reassigned a few of Sue Ann or Blair's lines to her at any point. But they did not.

Quote:
^---lol, well Mrs. Garrett sure didn't keep Sue Ann in "Garrett's Group" for long!
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2018, 04:37 AM   #12
Lorimar Television

Quote:

Sure did! I was the original poster too and he stumbled on it after Googling himself.
Lorimar Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #13
'80sSitcoms

Lol, Retro, this is definitely a case of "DON'T GO IN THE BASEMENT!!"

Quote:
Sure did! I was the original poster too and he stumbled on it after Googling himself.
Wow, how cool!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:57 PM   #14
Lorimar Television

I know, I just wanna shake Sue Ann and yell, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO don't go in the basement!"
Lorimar Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:08 PM   #15
RetroGuy2000

Quote:
I know, I just wanna shake Sue Ann and yell, "NOOOOOOOOOOOO don't go in the basement!"
Edna did warn them never to go down into the basement...

Tags
felice schachter, the facts of life, the lost girls