Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Miracle Workers Returns to TBS; ABC's Summer Fun & Games Lineup Renewed for 2020
Lifetime's Winter Ripped from the Headlines; PIX11 Holiday Lineup
Showtime Gets Vanessa Bayer Comedy Pilot; Jeopardy! Sees Who's the GOAT on ABC Primetime
Viacom's Comedy Central Renews The Office & Parks and Recreation; E! Gets New Jason Kennedy Series
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-18-2008, 07:45 PM   #31
snowball
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlins3
Yes, it is pretty much public knowledge and is referenced several times in stories on Billig.
Ok, everyone smoked pot in the 70s and Miami was the hotbead for all drugs then.

Another thing that really bothers me is that there are a few inconsistencies in several of the stories about Amy. For one, a lot of people believed she was not a runaway although there was a very high incidence of teenage runaways back then, me included. I don't think the families leak out everything to the public when there is a mystery in a disapearance; problems at home etc. for fear the public won't help. I first read about Amy in Edna Buchanan's book The Corpse Had a Familar Face. When Sue found the bikers in Seattle, Edna's story was that they told Sue "..she's one of us now...". In Greg Anapau's book it doesn't state this, just that they offered to find her. If indeed they said "she's one of us now" surely it would seem that Amy ran away with the bikers and didn't want to be found again.

The other inconsistency was UM (and I think someone mentioned this in an earlier post) when Sue went to the biker bar with Paul Branch and he approached a table of bikers to ask about her and they threw Sue out of the bar. Maybe this scene was just thrown in to keep viewers interested in the case. I hope not. It should be just about true facts. There are a few others but I can't think of them now.

I definately don't believe in the investigator's story in England. I think he wanted some publicity or new business.

Interesting that Amy's brother said on CNN after Sue passed that she still followed leads about Amy to the end. I wonder what those leads were? So many unanswered questions in this case. It just eats away at me.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #32
ksm1967
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball
Ok, everyone smoked pot in the 70s and Miami was the hotbead for all drugs then.

Another thing that really bothers me is that there are a few inconsistencies in several of the stories about Amy. For one, a lot of people believed she was not a runaway although there was a very high incidence of teenage runaways back then, me included. I don't think the families leak out everything to the public when there is a mystery in a disapearance; problems at home etc. for fear the public won't help. I first read about Amy in Edna Buchanan's book The Corpse Had a Familar Face. When Sue found the bikers in Seattle, Edna's story was that they told Sue "..she's one of us now...". In Greg Anapau's book it doesn't state this, just that they offered to find her. If indeed they said "she's one of us now" surely it would seem that Amy ran away with the bikers and didn't want to be found again.

The other inconsistency was UM (and I think someone mentioned this in an earlier post) when Sue went to the biker bar with Paul Branch and he approached a table of bikers to ask about her and they threw Sue out of the bar. Maybe this scene was just thrown in to keep viewers interested in the case. I hope not. It should be just about true facts. There are a few others but I can't think of them now.

I definately don't believe in the investigator's story in England. I think he wanted some publicity or new business.

Interesting that Amy's brother said on CNN after Sue passed that she still followed leads about Amy to the end. I wonder what those leads were? So many unanswered questions in this case. It just eats away at me.
I wouldn't pretend to know everything about this case, but I do agree with many of the things you have pointed out. If we really exam most cases in which the primary source of information about the child is from the parent, there seems to be an unintentional slanting of information.
I will offer as an example, the current Casey Anthony case. What most of the world can see so clearly, seems impossible for the parents to see. The person who seems responsible for the loss of their precious granddaughter, is rather obviously their daughter. Yet, they deny this emphatically in public because they claim they know their daughter wouldn't do that.

I am a mother and I believe that I know my children pretty well, but what I don't really know is what goes on during the day when they are at school. I don't know what their relationships with other people are when I am not there to see the interaction first hand. If the day comes when someone comes to me and says, "your daughter or son did this or that"...am I going to be able to accept that and not blindly go with what I think I know them capable of? I work in banking and I have seen kids drain their savings accounts at 15 or 16 years of age. Most of the time the parents didn't think that they would come take the money out, so they didn't put a restriction on it. When we call to tell them they are taking money out, they are shocked.

I would have to argue that the same thing applys in some cases, such as the Amy Billig case. Maybe (and I stress that maybe) what Sue thought her daughter capable of, and what she was capable of were two different things.
ksm1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #33
joshypiano
Stack-a-holic
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to joshypiano Send a message via MSN to joshypiano Send a message via Yahoo to joshypiano

I think the phrase "Your perception defines your reality" is quite appropriate in most cases.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #34
DP1
Forum Regular

Quote:
This incident never happened? It was just for dramatic effect?
DP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:00 PM   #35
snowball
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaToyaBoy
Why wasnt this mentioned in the segement?!?!

Personally I think Amy was abducted, raped and then murdered the same day. This whole thing about "owning" the women...this may happen but it is VERY rare. The biker that claimed he had info on Amy obviously was trying to get money from her (Amys mother). The time when he took Mrs. Billng to the bar and the "fight" broke out...total production number. It was all arranged. I dont care if he had crutches and bruises. I did feel sorry for the mother...this was a segement when it was total heartbreak. But the part when the man in Europe was approached by the biker who wanted to sell the girl. WoW! That was a one in a million shot...and then the news to travel that far and to make a connection to a case! WOWZERS!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:03 PM   #36
snowball
Occasional Poster

Sorry, I read someone's quote incorrectly. I thought the bar scene was something that UM threw in.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #37
snowball
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm1967
I wouldn't pretend to know everything about this case, but I do agree with many of the things you have pointed out. If we really exam most cases in which the primary source of information about the child is from the parent, there seems to be an unintentional slanting of information.
I will offer as an example, the current Casey Anthony case. What most of the world can see so clearly, seems impossible for the parents to see. The person who seems responsible for the loss of their precious granddaughter, is rather obviously their daughter. Yet, they deny this emphatically in public because they claim they know their daughter wouldn't do that.

I am a mother and I believe that I know my children pretty well, but what I don't really know is what goes on during the day when they are at school. I don't know what their relationships with other people are when I am not there to see the interaction first hand. If the day comes when someone comes to me and says, "your daughter or son did this or that"...am I going to be able to accept that and not blindly go with what I think I know them capable of? I work in banking and I have seen kids drain their savings accounts at 15 or 16 years of age. Most of the time the parents didn't think that they would come take the money out, so they didn't put a restriction on it. When we call to tell them they are taking money out, they are shocked.

I would have to argue that the same thing applys in some cases, such as the Amy Billig case. Maybe (and I stress that maybe) what Sue thought her daughter capable of, and what she was capable of were two different things.
How very, very true. Excellent points.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #38
marlins3
Forum Regular

I saw a post (it may have been on websleuths instead of on here) talking about the scar that was referenced by the biker. The person making the post said it wa snot uncommon for biker girls ("old ladies") to have scars on their wrists. Amy's scar wa son her abdomen and was hidden on her body. Mrs. Billig did not divuulge that to police until much later.
marlins3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:03 AM   #39
ms_bates
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlins3
from everything I have read, Billig was into drugs, particularly marijuana. This may or may not have been introduced to her by "Hank" (I tend to believe it was probably a result of peer pressure from firneds, etc) . I still believe in the motorcycle connection and believe on her way to lunch with friends, some of the bikers spotted her (she wore roach clips in her hair) and offered her some marijuana. They then abducted her.
Where did you read that she wore roach clips in her hair? In the thread about Amy over at Websleuths, someone mentioned that in the 1970's, girls would wear them in their hair. But they never said that Amy in particular was known to do so.

I've done quite a bit of reading on this case, and if there is information out there that points to Amy having been into drugs, I have missed it. I don't doubt that she might have experimented with them, but based on what I have read about her it doesn't seem like she was leading a particularly hardcore party lifestyle.

This is one of my "pet" cases. So if I have missed something, I'd certainly be interested in hearing about it.
ms_bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #40
snowball
Occasional Poster

Question Amy Billig-Astrological Chart

Ok.......just decided to google search Amy Billig's name to see if there by chance was anything new to the case and came up with the link below. This is for the open-minded folks who follow the astrological natal charts.

What do you think?

http://forensicastrology.blogspot.com/
Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM   #41
peachysquirt21
Forum Regular

Quote:
Ok.......just decided to google search Amy Billig's name to see if there by chance was anything new to the case and came up with the link below. This is for the open-minded folks who follow the astrological natal charts.

What do you think?

Interesting read... Thanks for the link.
peachysquirt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:26 AM   #42
ms_bates
Frequent Poster

Quote:

What do you think?

I consider myself to be fairly open minded, so I don't discount stuff like this outright. However, it seems kind of similar to many supposed psychic leads that come out regarding disappearances and murders. "I am sensing that they are near water. I see..trees and..a farmhouse." Whether such details have a basis in reality or not, the descriptions are generally just too vague to really do much with.

With that in mind, I found it to be an interesting read, and it could certainly have some basis in truth. It was nice of the person to take the time to look into the case and write all of that up.
ms_bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #43
wiseguy182

Quote:

What do you think?

yes, that was very interesting, thank you for the link. There were some other people profiled on UM on there: Tara Calico, Cindy Song, and 1 or 2 others.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #44
snowball
Occasional Poster

Default Astrological Chart

Yes. This website is a good one. I did also note a few other missing persons charts were done also. Very interesting read. As for Amy, it does sound like Branch's widow Tootsie may have been telling the truth after all.

If anyone is interested, I did a search for the Greyhound racing as the astrologer suggested and came up with a track in St. Petersburg. I believe the Outlaws had their clubhouse out there at one point.

I'm wondering if you all feel that passing along this reading to someone in LE would help in any way? Just a thought..
Old 03-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #45
Priddo
Occasional Poster

I just watch this case again (I barely remember seeing it apart from some small bits and pieces). Heartbreaking stuff. Then I come on here and find out it's still not solved and her mother has died.... Very saddening.

It's a shame UM didn't mention the harassment on her diary entry etc as they seem vital to me. I can see how the bikers could have been lying, or could have been a different girl (or girls) that were similar. However at the same time, the biker that was helping out mentioning a scar at the same spot Amy did have one seems a little bit unlikely, but at the same time if it was from a surgery like removal of an appendix I guess it's somewhat possible to just have a 'lucky guess' or a co-incidence.

I can see three possible ways this went down.

1) The bikers are going through the town/city and come across her. Maybe one or more stop and offer her some drugs. She says she doesn't have any money (She wanted to borrow some from her dad IIRC), so the bikers say something along the lines of "Come with us and you'll have all the money you need". Maybe she willingly goes with them, maybe they take her by force when she refuses... Who knows.

If this happened and she is this 'mute' girl, then it'd seem she was forced.

2) Hank is involved. Maybe he set it up with the bikies... Being involved in drugs with them or something, maybe he sold her to them originally... Perhaps he was going to drive her to lunch and it was during this a trade took place.

3) Hank kidnapped and killed her. Why make all these calls? She knows him, was thinking about running away with him, so she trusted the hell out of him. He's clearly a sick freak, and therefore it's pretty well with in the realms of possibility he killed her for some reason.

This is personally one of the cases I'd most like to see solved... It's so saddening, and it would have been great if it'd been solved before her mothers passing as well.
Priddo is offline   Reply With Quote