Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms Questions and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: New Tina Fey Sitcom Starring Ted Danson in the Works; A.P. Bio Gets a Reprieve
Fri-Yay: Beyond Friends and The Office: Other Great Sitcoms on Streaming Services; Mad About You Launches During Holiday 2019 Season
HBO Max Revives Gossip Girl; Mario Lopez Leaves Extra and Moves to Access Hollywood
The 71st Primetime Emmy Awards Nominations; Netflix Orders Sketch Comedy Series
Welcome Back (to School), Kotter Marathon on Antenna TV; Lea Michele Gets ABC Holiday Movie
Bounce Sitcom In The Cut Premieres Season 5; Conan Returns to Comic-Con for 5th Year
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of July 15, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (May/June/July)

My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season

05/07 - Baskets - The Complete Season Three
05/13 - I'm Dying Up Here - Season 2
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume One
05/13 - My Three Sons - The Third Season - Volume Two
05/14 - The Donna Reed Show - Seasons 1-5
05/14 - Petticoat Junction - Seasons 1-3
05/28 - Perfect Strangers - The Complete Seventh and Eighth Seasons (WBShop.com)
05/28 - South Park - The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-25-2019, 01:16 AM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Is Netflix canceling shows before giving subscribers a reasonable amount of time

...to watch?

https://tvline.com/2019/06/24/is-net...s-too-quickly/

Netflix's last seven cancelations came four to seven weeks after their season was dropped, according to TVLine's Matt Webb Mitovich. "But ask yourself, based on your own TV consumption habits: Is four weeks a reasonable enough span of time to find and binge something in full?" he asks, adding: "Should you have to binge an entire season in so fixed a time frame, as if it is some sort of cockamamie race? If streaming is famously about 'watching what you want, when you want,' we shouldn’t feel so pressured to plow through a season within a month. Netflix factoring in six (if not eight) weeks would set a far more realistic goal, recognizing that any given person is not only about any 'one' show. Them old-timey broadcast-TV shows typically get at least 13 weeks to state their case, to open well and hold onto enough of that audience that they hopefully see another season, all while benefiting from regular reminders in the form of previews, interviews and TVLine’s world-famous What to Watch alerts. 'Binge' shows, though, only get that one big promotional push (if they’re lucky) at launch, and then… well, it’s in the TV gods’ hands."
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
glickmam
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
...to watch?

https://tvline.com/2019/06/24/is-net...s-too-quickly/

Netflix's last seven cancelations came four to seven weeks after their season was dropped, according to TVLine's Matt Webb Mitovich. "But ask yourself, based on your own TV consumption habits: Is four weeks a reasonable enough span of time to find and binge something in full?" he asks, adding: "Should you have to binge an entire season in so fixed a time frame, as if it is some sort of cockamamie race? If streaming is famously about 'watching what you want, when you want,' we shouldn’t feel so pressured to plow through a season within a month. Netflix factoring in six (if not eight) weeks would set a far more realistic goal, recognizing that any given person is not only about any 'one' show. Them old-timey broadcast-TV shows typically get at least 13 weeks to state their case, to open well and hold onto enough of that audience that they hopefully see another season, all while benefiting from regular reminders in the form of previews, interviews and TVLine’s world-famous What to Watch alerts. 'Binge' shows, though, only get that one big promotional push (if they’re lucky) at launch, and then… well, it’s in the TV gods’ hands."
I think that when Netflix cancels a show, it just means they stop producing new episodes.
glickmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Greenbeans
Frequent Poster

They keep changing their business model. It used to be hard getting cancelled on Netflix. Then, starting with Bloodline, most shows got 3 years and were cancelled. Now they are giving shows 4-7 weeks to build an audience. I think Netflix just produces too much new content and can't afford to give all of those shows months to find an audience. Most get lost in the crowd.
Greenbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

Does Netflix keep the shows they have cancelled on their site indefinitely? I wanted to watch the Josh Groban and Tony Danza drama from last year that sounded good, but there would be no point in getting Netflix to watch it if that show quickly disappeared after being cancelled. I also still haven't seen the Netflix season of Gilmore Girls from a few years ago. I was going to get Netflix for the Designated Survivor return, but am angry with them for making it a whole lot raunchier than the ABC version was. Making what was often a TV-PG show TV-MA for sex and language is inexcusable, and I don't want to see the ruined version now.
My Top 100 TV Theme Songs http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/...28#post5320128
Is Christ the cornerstone of your life? If not, he should be.

catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:30 PM   #5
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

Another Netflix question: I have heard they have the complete series of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine available. Is this true, and how long is DS9 under contract for? If it is a long term contract that will be around for awhile, I might want to still get Netflix, but not if Deep Space Nine will expire in the next few months.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
TSMIV
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Does Netflix keep the shows they have cancelled on their site indefinitely?
Yes. They still have The Good Cop and they keep the shows they cancel. They have all of DS9, too. They have every episode of every Star Trek show except Discovery. They've had all the Trek shows for years so I don't think they're going anywhere. Amazon Prime and CBS All Access also have every Trek show so even if Netflix loses it, you can switch to another streamer. They have all of Gilmore Girls, too.

Quote:
I think Netflix just produces too much new content
Absolutely! They're wasting money on crap productions when they could have more success if they would stick with popular classic and recent shows from traditional TV networks/cable.
TSMIV is offline   Reply With Quote