Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Community Moving to Netflix Next Week; NBC Announces Final Episodes of Season List
American Dad! Celebrates 15th Anniversary; The Official Robin Williams YouTube Channel Launches
CBS All Access Is Tooning Out the News in This Pandemic Crisis; The CW Summer 2020 Schedule
The CW Announces Returns of Series Affected; Adult Swim Orders YOLO: Crystal Fantasy
Schedule Changes on ABC, CW Due to COVID-19; Insecure: The Game
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of March 30, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time a Hit in Ratings; Late Night Talk Set to Return Next Week

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-06-2020, 02:44 AM   #256
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistaircranium View Post
Maybe they can play up the retro 80s feel in a way that speaks to a modern audience.

Iím curious if future seasons will edit updates (if there are any) into the Netflix episodes or if updates would air at the end of new episodes. I could also see Netflix releasing updates separately.
Nothing about this reboot will be retro 80s.

Watch The Transformers (1986). Then watch Transformers (2007).
That experience should be on par with what you should expect.

I've discussed this on this thread previously (as to why the UM reboot will not be UM 1980s-1990s) but your comment pointed something else out to me: Updates.

Updates really are one of the most important aspects of the original UM. Tune in next week to see if your neighbors helped solve a mystery. The way that Film Rise butchered the original broadcasts in favor of text updates is a perfect example of how even the UM that's available isn't the true UM. Sometimes Stack would even announce that an update was coming in the next broadcast!

We're not getting that here. Netflix is designed around binge consumption of programming, where we are the passive consumer. The format doesn't lend itself to viewer participation or updates. UM even had a few live episodes, as clunky as they were.

Don't go into Transformers (2007) expecting The Transformers (1986). You'll be disappointed.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:45 AM   #257
alistaircranium
Forum Regular

The revival is from the creators of Stranger Things. If you donít think itís going to be 80s-like, then I donít know what to tell you, lol 😂
alistaircranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #258
roncore
Occasional Poster

Quote:
The revival is from the creators of Stranger Things. If you donít think itís going to be 80s-like, then I donít know what to tell you, lol 😂
Agreed 100%
roncore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:07 PM   #259
drew790
Forum Regular

It's not by the creators of Stranger Things.

It's by a producer on Stranger Things, who has made a bunch of other things and many of them are terrible and had nothing to do with the 80s.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:14 AM   #260
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Stranger Things is "80s-like" in the same way that Velveeta is cheese-like: reminiscent of something familiar, however when juxtaposed against the original they are easily distinguishable.

Stranger Things is pastiche. Pastiche is literally defined as imitation. Velveeta is imitation cheese. This isn't a value statement, but it is factual.

I can eat and enjoy both Cheddar and Velveeta, though I know the difference.

Spike UM was not NBC UM.
Lifetime UM was not NBC UM.
CBS UM was not NBC UM.
Hell, even NBC UM Seasons 8 and 9 are barely similar to the first five seasons of NBC UM.

So far here's the score sheet:
-No mysterious host to guide/manipulate the viewer.
-One mystery per episode, rather than a variety of mysteries.
-Binge watch in a day. Any updates/follow-ups may be disassociated by time/release.
-Active effort to imitate the intangibles of the original show.

Given the fact that Stranger Things is a high-profile intellectual property with quite impressive merchandising licensing, you would expect there to be some publicity about a Stranger Things-produced version of UM. The silence is deafening. Interpret that however you want.

Never underestimate the power of denial. It produced eight superfluous Star Wars films.
Chichester Crowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:35 AM   #261
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew790 View Post
It's not by the creators of Stranger Things.

It's by a producer on Stranger Things, who has made a bunch of other things and many of them are terrible and had nothing to do with the 80s.
I liked Arrival.

More importantly, 21 Laps has produced zero documentaries or documentary series. The reboot will be "pure documentary style" according to Cosgrove. So, you can go ahead and add -No Re-enactments to the scoresheet.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:42 AM   #262
alistaircranium
Forum Regular

It seems to me that some people have it in for these producers due to their previous work.

To say that Stranger Things isn’t 80s is one of the most out of touch statements I’ve ever seen on the internet, and that’s saying something.

I’m expecting these producers to lean in to the 80s aesthetic of the original: the music, graphics, sound effects, etc. Thanks to shows like Stranger Things, 80s nostalgia is at an all-time high. That’s why UM is coming back: to cash in on 80s nostalgia.

I would love this show to be a full-blown 80s pastiche, but I realize they will have to have some modern elements (no host, the re-enactments, etc). I’m looking forward to it!
Old 02-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #263
Chichester Crowe
You el sickos will pay.
Frequent Poster

Quote:
To say that Stranger Things isnít 80s is one of the most out of touch statements Iíve ever seen on the internet, and thatís saying something.
Or perhaps I actually lived through the 1980s and realize nostalgia when I see it.

Nostalgia is when someone is so obsessed with a previous time or place that they have the tendency to view the past with fractured lenses or rose-tinted glasses. This makes nostalgia inherently flawed, which is one of the reasons why we can identify it as nostalgia instead of believing it's a historical artifact. Essentially, nostalgia is revisionist history (yet the opposite of presentism).

A perfect example of nostalgia is the Cafe 80s from Back to the Future 2. Michael Jackson, Ronald Reagan, and Ayatollah Khomeini are portrayed as Max Headroom AI. The only time that ever happened in the 80s was BTTF2 (1989).

There's quite a few websites that point out the anachronistic problems with Stranger Things. You may call it 80s if you like, but those of us who lived at the time know the difference.

Unsolved Mysteries (NBC) is my favorite television show of all time. I'm just not naive enough to believe that the Netflix reboot will come within a thousand yards of the original. I predict that the only things that will be "Unsolved Mysteries" about the reboot will be the name, original theme music, and bumper graphics.

Just imagine: UM features an unsolved murder from 2015. The reenactment features actors dressed in 80s wardrobe referencing 80s pop culture in passing conversation. The investigators use 80s logic and knowledge base to solve the crime. The show encourages you to call a toll-free number, rather than use than internet. The entire premise is utterly preposterous.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #264
alistaircranium
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichester Crowe View Post
Or perhaps I actually lived through the 1980s and realize nostalgia when I see it.

Nostalgia is when someone is so obsessed with a previous time or place that they have the tendency to view the past with fractured lenses or rose-tinted glasses. This makes nostalgia inherently flawed, which is one of the reasons why we can identify it as nostalgia instead of believing it's a historical artifact. Essentially, nostalgia is revisionist history (yet the opposite of presentism).

A perfect example of nostalgia is the Cafe 80s from Back to the Future 2. Michael Jackson, Ronald Reagan, and Ayatollah Khomeini are portrayed as Max Headroom AI. The only time that ever happened in the 80s was BTTF2 (1989).

There's quite a few websites that point out the anachronistic problems with Stranger Things. You may call it 80s if you like, but those of us who lived at the time know the difference.

Unsolved Mysteries (NBC) is my favorite television show of all time. I'm just not naive enough to believe that the Netflix reboot will come within a thousand yards of the original. I predict that the only things that will be "Unsolved Mysteries" about the reboot will be the name, original theme music, and bumper graphics.

Just imagine: UM features an unsolved murder from 2015. The reenactment features actors dressed in 80s wardrobe referencing 80s pop culture in passing conversation. The investigators use 80s logic and knowledge base to solve the crime. The show encourages you to call a toll-free number, rather than use than internet. The entire premise is utterly preposterous.
TL;DR
Old 02-08-2020, 11:09 PM   #265
drew790
Forum Regular

Quote:
I liked Arrival.

More importantly, 21 Laps has produced zero documentaries or documentary series. The reboot will be "pure documentary style" according to Cosgrove. So, you can go ahead and add -No Re-enactments to the scoresheet.

The only thing we seem to have confirmed is that there are reenactments, since actors have started adding the show to their IMDBs:

Series Cast
Jimmy Bacon ... Mystery Man1 episode, 2019
Angel Yvonne ... Volunteer1 episode, 2019
Braxton Angle ... Vinson's Partner1 episode
Chris Brown ... Prisoner #3 / Mall Goer #5 / Bus Passenger ...1 episode
Nichole Thomas ... Mary Ellen's Mother1 episode

The only solid lead in the bunch is the "Vinson" reference, I'm sure someone would probably be able to do the digging to figure out what case that might be covering.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #266
MA
Forum Legend

When is this coming out?
Old 02-10-2020, 11:08 AM   #267
roncore
Occasional Poster

Quote:

I lived through the 80s as well, and totally see the nostalgia of Stranger Things, and I'd def say that Unsolved Mysteries and Roseanne, strangely enough were my favorite shows, and still are tbh. Unsolved Mysteries is a late 80s show, running into the 90s. The early 80s was massively different than the late 80s. That being said, I think there will be an nostalgic feel to the show, most likely in score, but I don't think anybody is going to be wearing windbreakers and fanny packs unless it's a case set in those times.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:13 AM   #268
tarheelslim
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA View Post
When is this coming out?
Netflix intentionally doesn't release much info about a lot of its shows.... I have been keeping an eye on this forum lately because I assume I will learn it has been released by a fan saying on here that it's up
tarheelslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:14 AM   #269
MA
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelslim View Post
Netflix intentionally doesn't release much info about a lot of its shows.... I have been keeping an eye on this forum lately because I assume I will learn it has been released by a fan saying on here that it's up
Thank you.
MA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:21 AM   #270
roncore
Occasional Poster

This is the closest case I could fine matching the imdb information. It's a Beth-Ellen Vinson. I saw another about a young boy on youtube.

https://www.wral.com/goldsboro-teen-...ater/13912662/