Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Facts of Life Online / The Facts of Life links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Facts of Life Photo Gallery / The Facts of Life - Fan Fiction Board / The Division Board


The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete First and Second Seasons on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Six

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Six on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Seven

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Seven on DVD
The Facts of Life - Season Eight

Buy The Facts of Life - Season Eight on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season

Buy The Facts of Life - The Final (Ninth) Season on DVD
The Facts of Life - The Complete Series

Buy The Facts of Life - The Complete Series on DVD (Amazon.com)

(Shout! Factory)

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > The Facts of Life

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Quibi Launching Today, Brings on Will Smith Hosted Series; NBC Calls on Blindspot Earlier Than Planned
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 6, 2020)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Executive Producers of The Office Considering New Work-at-Home Comedy; Lights Out with David Spade Gets Lights Turned Out Permanently
Fri-Yay: Community Moving to Netflix Next Week; NBC Announces Final Episodes of Season List
American Dad! Celebrates 15th Anniversary; The Official Robin Williams YouTube Channel Launches
CBS All Access Is Tooning Out the News in This Pandemic Crisis; The CW Summer 2020 Schedule
The CW Announces Returns of Series Affected; Adult Swim Orders YOLO: Crystal Fantasy


New on DVD/Blu-ray (January/February/March/April)

My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One Martin - The Complete Series Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season

01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume One
01/02 - My Three Sons - The Fifth Season - Volume Two
01/14 - Veep - The Final (Seventh) Season (Blu-ray)
01/14 - Veep - The Complete Series (DVD)
01/21 - Hangin' with Mr. Cooper - The Complete Third Season (WBShop.com)
01/21 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Fifth and Final Season
01/28 - Ballers - The Complete Series
01/28 - The Mindy Project - The Complete Series (DVD)
02/04 - Martin - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
02/11 - Step by Step - The Complete Sixth Season (WBShop.com)
02/18 - Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
02/25 - Better Things - The Complete Third Season
03/17 - Crashing - The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
04/07 - Cheers - The Complete Series (2020 Release)
04/14 - Police Squad! - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
04/14 - The Righteous Gemstones - The Complete First Season
04/21 - Step by Step - The Complete Seventh and Final Season (WBShop.com)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-2020, 08:24 PM   #31
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 6,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentina warner View Post
Exactly my point: JO alone isn't 'THE FACTS OF LIFE' lol!
Yep!

It was only when Mrs. Garrett left the show that ratings declined. I think that says a lot about who was really the most popular character.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #32
valentina warner
Member
Forum Regular
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 607
Wink FOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I agree that Sue Ann was a GREAT foil for Blair. I don't mind that they added Jo, but I don't like this NM fan fiction that has somehow evolved, stating that Nancy McKeon somehow saved the show. History tells us otherwise, and if we're observant, we can find the articles that prove it's fiction.

I also agree with you that the show lost something important when the Lost Girls faded away. We lost the stories their characters could tell, and we were left with a show where the writers kept jettisoning the setting and adding in random characters no-one liked, in hopes of keeping the show alive. But by the Seventh Season, those revamps and character additions were showing cracks in the show's façade, and by Season Eight, The Facts of Life dropped out of the Top 30 entirely.

We can't turn back the clock (like on BACK TO THE FUTURE) unfortunately, and we will always wonder 'what if', which is why it's great to have the 'Fanfiction site' so that people can create stories that the TV wasn't able to put into screen!
And no, JO didn't save the show: every cast on FOL played their important part, and it wouldn't have had success without all of them on it.
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #33
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 6,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C. View Post
Can't say I blame her...they did her and the other Lost Girls dirty. And from what you say about the ratings going up for the repeats then its fairly clear they pulled the trigger too soon on the retooling.

What might have been
The retooling, in retrospect, is weird. Plenty of shows have managed large casts, even in that era.

I think the producers realized their mistake too late, and invited the Lost Girls back as an acknowledgement that mistakes had been made on the part of the show, and NBC. After all, it couldn't have been cheap to bring back three/four girls for eight episodes. As '80s points out, "Gossip" was pushed up in production order, as if the producers realized the audience was tuning out: Season Two didn't crack the Top 30.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:59 PM   #34
valentina warner
Member
Forum Regular
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 607
Nodsmiley MRS G is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Yep!

It was only when Mrs. Garrett left the show that ratings declined. I think that says a lot about who was really the most popular character.
MRS G of course! (but you know i also vote for BLAIR cos she's my favourite of all the girls!)
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:59 PM   #35
TV Guy
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 25, 2001
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 2,868
Default

Here are the yearly ratings and rank for “Facts of Life”. Ratings did not go down for season 2 and were still above that episode from the summer that you pointed out above (that episode got a 15.4 rating, and season 2 had an average rating of 19.3). The season when they opened “Over Our Heads” was the highest-ranked - thought not highest-rated - season.

1979-1980 Fri. 8:30 p.m. 4.5 #74
1980-1981 Wed. 9:30 p.m. 19.3 #26
1981-1982 Wed. 9:00 p.m. 19.1 #24
1982-1983 Wed. 9:00 p.m. 17.1 #32
1983-1984 Wed. 9:00 p.m. 17.3 #24
1984-1985 Wed. 9:00 p.m. 16.3 #34
1985-1986 Sat. 8:30 p.m. 17.7 #27
1986-1987 Sat. 8:00 p.m. 16.3 #31
1987-1988 Sat. 8:00 p.m. 14.6 #37
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #36
valentina warner
Member
Forum Regular
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 607
Exclamation FOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy View Post
Here are the yearly ratings and rank for “Facts of Life”. Ratings did not go down for season 2 and were still above that episode from the summer that you pointed out above (that episode got a 15.4 rating, and season 2 had an average rating of 19.3). The season when they opened “Over Our Heads” was the highest-ranked - thought not highest-rated - season.

1979-1980 Fri. 8:30 p.m. 4.5 #74
1980-1981 Wed. 9:30 p.m. 19.3 #26
1981-1982 Wed. 9:00 p.m. 19.1 #24
1982-1983 Wed. 9:00 p.m. 17.1 #32
1983-1984 Wed. 9:00 p.m. 17.3 #24
1984-1985 Wed. 9:00 p.m. 16.3 #34
1985-1986 Sat. 8:30 p.m. 17.7 #27
1986-1987 Sat. 8:00 p.m. 16.3 #31
1987-1988 Sat. 8:00 p.m. 14.6 #37

Does that mean season 1 had the highest score? Wow great but i cannot believe it! And in that case the LOST GIRL got dismissed unfairly...
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:15 PM   #37
valentina warner
Member
Forum Regular
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 607
Lol FOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I actually would have loved to see that! Imagine something like this:


Blair: Jo, how dare you tell Nancy I'm dating Roger! You sneaky rat!

Jo: Care to say that to my face, Barbie?

Blair: No. In fact, I never want to speak to you again... ever!

Sue Ann: Blair, I agree with Jo. You oughtta be ashamed of yourself, dating Nancy's boyfriend...

Jo: Stay out of this, hayseed!

Cindy: Who are you calling 'hayseed', you Bronx bully?!

All: (Yelling and crosstalk ensues, and girls get into each other's faces)

Garrett: Girls! Girls! GIRLS! (Whistles loudly)

:lol

I can actually see that happening and here is more:

Molly: when will you guys start behaving like WOMEN instead of little kids?
Nat: You stole Nancy's boyfriend? Don't you have enough boys to date, Blair?
Tootie: wait until Nancy finds out! There's going to be trouble!
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #38
A.C.
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Albany
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Thanks!

(I also think '80s Sitcoms would have made a great writer for the show. Have you seen his "All Eight Girls in All Nine Seasons" guide? Definitely worth checking out.)

AC, your profile says you live in Albany. This has made me curious. Have you ever visited the Peekskill area? Or, alternately, have you been to any of the real-life sites mentioned in the show? For example, Bergdorf's (mentioned in "The Little Chill")? If so, can you share your thoughts in a thread, here? I'd love to read about it, and I know others, here, would as well.
Being a Lost Girl's fan I'll hae to check out that guide!

Getting down to Peekskill (2 to 3 hours drive south) has ALWAYS been on my bucket list. The target would be to see some school there that somewhere over the years supposedly was the basis for Eastland.Also there must be some sort of nod to FOL in the town to find lake maybe an autographed photo of Lisa Welchel in a diner of something like that. LOL. I'm getting fired up now. This summer it needs to happen!! Thanks for ligthing a fire under me.
A.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #39
A.C.
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Albany
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentina warner View Post
Bravo! finally someone who gives credit to the 'LOST GIRLS'! No offense to the JO fans up there, but FOL was already a hit before: BLAIR as one of the main ones kept the show going, along with the rest of the crew on season 1!
Absolutly...man its been like what 40 years and I still remember being bum puzzled and sad when the new season premiered and I was like...where are the girls? No more dorm?! A new character who's got a nasty chip on her shoulder? What happened to my FACTS OF LIFE?!
A.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:57 PM   #40
valentina warner
Member
Forum Regular
 
valentina warner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 31, 2020
Location: The Uk
Posts: 607
Crazy PEEKSKILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C. View Post
Being a Lost Girl's fan I'll hae to check out that guide!

Getting down to Peekskill (2 to 3 hours drive south) has ALWAYS been on my bucket list. The target would be to see some school there that somewhere over the years supposedly was the basis for Eastland.Also there must be some sort of nod to FOL in the town to find lake maybe an autographed photo of Lisa Welchel in a diner of something like that. LOL. I'm getting fired up now. This summer it needs to happen!! Thanks for ligthing a fire under me.

Wow lucky you! Can i come along to Peekskill with you? (i would love to see the old 'Eastland school for girls'!
valentina warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:38 PM   #41
80s Dude
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 24, 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 700
Default

There is absolutely no private schools in Peekskill. There is a boys school not too far named Millbrook Academy.
80s Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:01 PM   #42
A.C.
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Albany
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s Dude View Post
There is absolutely no private schools in Peekskill. There is a boys school not too far named Millbrook Academy.
Allegedly Eastland was modeled after St. Marys in Peekskill...this is what I would look for. Whether its still operational I don't know.
A.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:34 PM   #43
80s Dude
Member
Forum Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 24, 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 700
Default

Eastland was modeled after Westlake. Which was the school Mindy Cohn came from. Isn't St. Mary's a convent rather than a school.
80s Dude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:53 PM   #44
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 6,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy View Post
Here are the yearly ratings and rank for “Facts of Life”. Ratings did not go down for season 2 and were still above that episode from the summer that you pointed out above (that episode got a 15.4 rating, and season 2 had an average rating of 19.3). The season when they opened “Over Our Heads” was the highest-ranked - thought not highest-rated - season.
Thanks for the numbers, TV Guy.

Nielsen's rankings for the show did go down, since FOL hit #18 that week, and I haven't seen any evidence that there was a higher number in Season Two (though I'm open to seeing numbers). Also, you're mistaken when you say the first OOH season ranked above any other seasons. OOH debuted in Season Seven, as we all know. Season Seven ranked at #27, which isn't above #26 (S2) or #24 (S3 and S5).

But my point was that the show started generating strong numbers for NBC well before Nancy McKeon joined the cast. This is fact.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:13 AM   #45
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Senior Member
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 6,733
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.C. View Post
Allegedly Eastland was modeled after St. Marys in Peekskill...this is what I would look for. Whether its still operational I don't know.
We all know that the producers took inspiration from Westlake for Diff'rent Strokes' "Eastlake" (which became Eastland in The Facts of Life). But that doesn't mean they weren't also inspired by private girls' schools the Peekskill area, and just getting to see a private girls' school in Peekskill would be quite a thrill for me!

A NYT article indicates that the Mount Saint Florence school in Peekskill was razed in 1995. However, this indicates that Mount Saint Mary's school for girls, also in Peekskill, closed in 1975.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.