Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-03-2004, 10:02 PM   #16
Dogma66603
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

It does. Thanks.

I hope to get one for my birthday.
Old 03-03-2004, 10:05 PM   #17
Chelsea
Semi-retired

BTW: For those of us old stalwarts of the VHS standard....We're a dying breed, and as soon as the price comes down a LITTLE more, I'm jumping ship too. Right now, a standard Panasonic E50 (The Basic Model) is $450. AND, right now, for $50 less at Best Buy, you can get a fairly decent Philips DVDR75 (It's the one my HS has, and it's fairly good)

The DVDRec's w/ HDs are even MORE out of my ballpark for now, but, I'd love to have one.

If it says anything about price, said DVD recorder was $499 when we bought it a few months ago (Yes, despite being a student, I got to buy things with the school's money...JOY!). When a good, quality model hits $200-ish is when I'll probably invest in one (I plan to wait THAT late solely because, when it's my money, I'm cheap)

Now, for a legit question...I've heard great things about converting VHS tapes to DVD, at least in most instances. But, seriously, how big of a difference are we talking about?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:15 PM   #18
Dogma66603
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

I just want to make DVD's from tv shows because Mama's Family will never be released on DVD. If it eventually is, who cares, I can tape other stuff off TV too and the quality willl be much better.

But what channels don't skip episodes of shows. I know that Nick at NIte doesn't skip episodes and airs in order but I've noticed most other great shows in syndication are run totally out of order on other channels and many episodes are skipped. Okay, I'm going off topic now so ill just stop.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:17 PM   #19
Dogma66603
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Are DVD recorders hard to plug in. Like do you need some random expensive cords just to plug it in or is it just one plug and some of those color plug things like a DVD player?

Also, lets just assume that you were taping a show and wanted to pause for commercials so you paused it. Would it pause right when you press the button or would it take a few seconds like the VCR? Also, if it comes back from commercial, will it start recording instantly when you press the button or will it take a few seconds and make you miss part of a line or a scene? That always pisses me off on my tapes. Half of a line is always missing.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:53 PM   #20
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

No special plugs, just regular connections like you hook up your VCR.

If you buy a model with a hard drive, you just let your show record and then go back and edit it to the exact frame. You then have a perfect copy ready to be put on a dvd.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:57 PM   #21
Dogma66603
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

I have a Pioneer 310-S DVD recorder and I have recorded everything on it. Now, I just need to finalize. I named the disc, and now I go to "finalize" and it tells me to select a menu. I select the menu, then at the top it says the name of the Disc and then the titles of the options (the episodes I've recorded) have titles indicating the date recorded, the time, the channel and the speed mode recorded in. I want to know how I would go about changing those titles to the titles of the episodes. Do you do that after the finalization process? Thanks.

Also, I would like to know how to delete one of the files recorded onto the disc. I accidentally pressed 'stop' in the middle of a recording, so I started it all over (it was recorded of Tivo) and one file has half the episode, and the other has the entire episode, so I want to delete the one I don't need.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:09 PM   #22
cp32
Forum Regular

Default For those VHS to DVD collectors

I dont know about the pioneer. Never finalize the disc until you are done editing. Unless you have an RW. Once you finalize. You cant go back and do anything to it.

Maybe some the functions are the same. Try up button on the remote press fwrd button - to move over to where you disc title should be. Then use up & down buttons on the remote to manually edit the title . do this with each title menu /episode

once done editing there. Go to top where your disc option to finalize is - do the samething. I m assuming they all have the same basic functiions as the philips.

To delete a title /episode move over to the title where it might say EXT 2 time ect.. press down button on the remote press where says Delete title.

When you are done editing finalize disc. Really not as complicated as it sounds.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:57 AM   #23
nannyfan
Forum Regular

With a Philips dvd recorder - you can make picture menus. really cool and very easy! When you press record, the recorder places the first thing it captures during that recording session as the menu photo and you can change it later by selecting your favorite scene. You can also edit the text next to the picture to list titles. Very easy - VERY cool!! I have a dvdr80 model - and it is awsome! It is also wayyyyyyy faster to transfer videos to dvd using a stand alone recorder as opposed to doing it with a computer. I started out using a computer and it is crazy how long it takes - and - how much hard drive space...it's best to go with a stand alone!!
Old 03-25-2004, 01:12 AM   #24
cp32
Forum Regular

you can also change that image for a title menu. You can browse any part of that episode pause & press FSS new title menu - Ok whala. usually the fist thing it captures is often not a cool image.
So you can go back and select what you want for the picture for that particular episode. Its great. I only wish the images were LARGER
Old 03-25-2004, 11:07 AM   #25
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I have the Panasonic DMR E80, and it does everything I've ever wanted in a VCR - finally, I'm able to take out those commercials without having to sacrifice a generation! I'm using it to back up my most precious recordings on Beta and VHS, stuff that's never been repeated and has never come out on tape or DVD. I'm not getting rid of my originals in those cases, but I am making a snapshot so that I don't lose any further quality as the tapes age. This also makes it much easier to make copies for someone else without endangering my original tapes.

New stuff that I don't expect to come out on DVD, I'm recording directly to disc, first through my DVR, then to the hard drive where I edit out commercials, and then to disc. It's more work than I used to put into tapes, since I haven't removed commercials since the early '80s, but if I'm going to have it on disc, I might as well have it properly on disc. :>

I've found that material I've burnt to disc copies to VHS better than VHS to VHS, which is also very nice.

Material I expect to come out on DVD, like Angel and Alias, I'm still recording to VHS, and when those shows come out on disc, I'll recycle the tapes.

I would prefer that the E80 had picture menus, but I'll make due with the text menus. I always enter at least episode number if not title so I know what I'm looking at.

It's amazing how the E80 has changed how I record and store material.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:54 PM   #26
Dogma66603
Banned
Banned!!
Forum Regular

Well, now when I try to record, it records but it plays back, just a black screen so I guess it's not like a VCR which records exactly what it sees on the TV. You have to set it to the channel. The problem is, I have satellite (DISH network).

How do you select the correct input to record from?
Old 03-25-2004, 05:01 PM   #27
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I have DISHNetwork, too, as well as cable and two VCRs (VHS and Beta respectively) hooked up to my DVD recorder. Each is on a different input (Line 1, Line 2, Line 3, and RF inputs).

I have DISHNetwork hooked in to my Line 2 inputs of the recorder, so to record from that source, I have to press Input Select on the remote to select Line 2. It really does work exactly like a VCR, where you have to have the unit on the correct channel (or input) to record the programming. This is not to say I didn't have some dodgy moments where I thought I was recording something and got nothing.

Since I've got old analog cable, I've got my cable coming in on the RF input, and that's where I've got the channels tuned.

I have my DVD recorder attached to the television through the auxiliary input on the TV, so in order to see what's coming through the DVD recorder, I have to select the "Aux" input on my TV. Another set in my house would be set to "Video."