Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-15-2002, 07:23 PM   #16
bb25
Forum Regular

Default MGM

Actually I have seen MGM brand tapes for sale at Eye on Video and Amazon, so they may be available at more video rental stores...

I have heard they're not the best though...and you're definitely going to be paying more than a dollar a tape if you buy them from those sources...try 2 or 3 a piece...
Old 12-15-2002, 08:44 PM   #17
Warm & Fuzzy
Forum Veteran

Default Re: MGM

Quote:
Originally posted by bb25
Actually I have seen MGM brand tapes for sale at Eye on Video and Amazon, so they may be available at more video rental stores...

I have heard they're not the best though...and you're definitely going to be paying more than a dollar a tape if you buy them from those sources...try 2 or 3 a piece...
Wow, that's pretty pricy. Any reason why?
Old 12-15-2002, 09:04 PM   #18
ALF's #1 Fan
Forum Regular

thats a lot of money

Last edited by ALF's #1 Fan; 12-19-2002 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-15-2002, 09:12 PM   #19
mashunter18
Forum Regular

Are those mgm tapes better then they used to be???Several years ago,target stores got into a lawsuit with mgm,cause all the tapes were supposedlly junk???
Old 12-16-2002, 12:27 AM   #20
bb25
Forum Regular

Default ?

Yeah, actually, if you're not careful, video tapes can be VERY pricey. Just go to Rite Aid and browse the recordable media section. I believe I saw it was $3.99 for a single Maxell Silver 8 hour tape, which is incredibly high! That's why you have to shop around. Walgreens usually has weekly coupon sales or $.99 for a single Sony or TDK tape, which is a great deal, but it's a limit of 6. I buy my Panasonic tapes at Target for $3.99 for 3 6 hour tapes, or $4.49 for 3 8 hour tapes, which isn't bad at all. It's usually when you buy them as a single tape, the price gets high. The most I paid for a tape was $3.49 for a Maxell Advanced Hi-Fi and I would not recommend that brand to anyone! It had the worst picture quality I've seen on a Maxell tape, and it's supposeldy their top of the line for consumer grade...

As for the MGM tapes, I'm really not sure. Try Amazon in the Electronics & Camera/Film sections for "blank tape" or "blank video tape" - there are a few reviews for them...I've never personally purchased them, but I would assume it's just the luster of the name that makes people buy them...
Old 12-17-2002, 01:50 PM   #21
Lone_Wolfette
Me & Micky
Frequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to Lone_Wolfette Send a message via Yahoo to Lone_Wolfette
Time to wrack my brain...

Maxell
TDK
JVC
Memorex
RCA
Sony
Scotch
BASF
Kodak
GE

I think that's in the order of how many of each brand I have (Maxell being the most, I think). I've probably got a few others that I can't think of right now...

I try to buy what's on sale, $1/tape or less
Old 12-18-2002, 12:29 AM   #22
bb25
Forum Regular

Default GE?

Where do you guys get GE tapes? I have never seen them for sale, nor have I even heard of GE making tapes...??
Old 12-18-2002, 02:42 PM   #23
DetectiveGriffin
Sankontessou!

Send a message via AIM to DetectiveGriffin Send a message via Yahoo to DetectiveGriffin
Cool

i only record on vhs to tranfer it to the pc, so i have about 20 tapes i reuse over and over, so i got some maxell hi fi professional grades in purple cases. i bought them a while back and they can be expensive but the picture is clear and gorgeous. But if i record a 2 hr movie or something like that and do keep it on vhs, i usally just use a jvc tape or whatever else is $1 per tape. When you record in sp, you tend to get great results no matter what you use.

I havent really found anything super great for ep recording, because as time goes by they just seem to degrade.
wish i would have been able to do the pc thing years ago, because i did have a lot of stuff in ep from years ago, sliders and soap operas from a long time ago.
i do have a lot of my soap from the early 90's recorded in ep and it is still beautiful, but the tape was from the $1 bin at aldi's. I never would have expected - i dont think they make this brand inow and dont even think it was a major one, but they are the most beautiful ive ever seen in ep mode, plus they run about 2 1/2 in sp. i think they're called "avanti."
Old 12-18-2002, 08:17 PM   #24
bb25
Forum Regular

Default ?

Yeah, those Maxell Hi-Fi Pro grade tapes in the purple cases is what I was mentioning earlier. I actually found them awful in SLP mode! The picture was full of lines and almost an underlying bluriness throughout. I suppose it would be better in SP mode, but I'll never buy another one to try...

As for the EP (SLP) recording I found TDK Hi-Fi Extra High Grade the best - the picture and sound are fantastic for SLP!! Unfortunately TDK no longer makes that certain line, so if you see them on eBay or anywhere else - get them!! I was lucky enough to have someone from eBay sell me a brand new sealed 8 hour one, along with a new sealed 8 hour Scotch as well...
Old 12-19-2002, 12:33 AM   #25
bb25
Forum Regular

Default ?

Also, another good brand for SLP recording is TDK E-HG. I just watched ALF that I had recorded a few weeks back (the last time Hallmark showed it) and although there is slight graininess, the picture is nice and bright and clear, and they have crisp sound. I purchased them at Walgreens for $6.99 for a 3-pack, and that's the only store I've seen them for sale...
Old 12-20-2002, 04:02 AM   #26
Cheryl Harrell
I Love You Mike 4-Ever

Send a message via ICQ to Cheryl Harrell Send a message via AIM to Cheryl Harrell Send a message via Yahoo to Cheryl Harrell

Avanti makes audio tapes. Didn't know they made video tapes tho. Target has a set of 4 video tapes (I forget the brand but it was a name brand) on their clearance rack in the electronics dept for $4 something. I bought a set the other day...

"Make it your way, who can beat the Lord, the Son of God. Dear Lord, help me be strong where I am weak, if it be your will"-- The Late Freddie Prinze Sr

Last edited by Cheryl Harrell; 12-20-2002 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:50 PM   #27
bb25
Forum Regular

Default ?

It was most likely Panasonic or TDK - or Sony...those 3 are the only brands Target sells..
Old 12-22-2002, 02:09 AM   #28
bb25
Forum Regular

Default Avanti

Anyone know if you can buy Avanti video tapes anymore? I did a search the other day, and found a site that sells Avanti audio tapes at a really good price. I think it was $1.99 for a 5 pack, but the shipping was like $7 so it's like not even worth the bother. But they're cool because they kind of look old fashioned. It has a black plastic shell and pre-placed label, whereas any brand today has the easily scratchable (and very noticable) clear shell (am I the only one that still uses blank audio cassettes for radio mix tapes?? ) anyway, if anyone knows about Avanti, please post!
Old 12-22-2002, 08:35 AM   #29
Cheryl Harrell
I Love You Mike 4-Ever

Send a message via ICQ to Cheryl Harrell Send a message via AIM to Cheryl Harrell Send a message via Yahoo to Cheryl Harrell

If I remember right, the AVANTI tapes were around in the 70's I think. They were among some of the budget brands...
Old 02-06-2003, 05:48 PM   #30
bb25
Forum Regular

Default ?

Any new members, or anyone else who missed this, have anything to add?