Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Reno 911 Returning with New Episodes; Remembering Philip McKeon of Alice
77th Annual Golden Globe Awards Nominees; Hugh Laurie HBO Comedy Set for January
Remembering René Auberjonois of Benson; Brady Bunch Star to Give Tour of White House on HGTV
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 06-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #16
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdubel
Solomon,

Correct me I am wrong, but didn't you tell me that you would not trade a certain show for something you wanted from me because you were not going to let it go because of its rarity??? Truthfully, that is why we probably will not trade anytime soon. As most on this board know, i have quite an extensive collection and will make just about any deal with anybody so that a trade can be made. A lot of times I take stuff that I am not looking for per se, but to make the trade, I do it b/c I know the other person really wants the show. I thought your response was somewhat ridiculous as I believe I have always been very accomodating to your wishes in many past dealings. So, back to your post here, the person was not being unreasonable at all, as others said, at least they responded and if you really want the game be patient, I am sure they will be trading again.

Tom

Ok let me explain tom. Yes i wasn;t ready to let go of the show because what i wanted from you i could get from someone else. Baby I'm back is not on the same level of hard to find as Out of the Blue. So let's say I found out that you had a ep of Checking In from 81, then Out of the Blue would be on that same type of level and i would trade. But with me it's all about the level of how hard it is to find. I trade so i can see things I never saw before so since I seen BIB, i wasn;t ready to offer something like Roll Out for Baby I'm back. Yes we had some good trades in the past but I guess in the past few months I acquired and paid for a lot of rare shows. Shows Like On the Rocks, Out of the Blue, and Roll Out i had to pay money for that so u probably can understand why i can;t let it go that easily.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #17
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Solomon,

Correct me I am wrong, but didn't you tell me that you would not trade a certain show for something you wanted from me because you were not going to let it go because of its rarity??? Truthfully, that is why we probably will not trade anytime soon. As most on this board know, i have quite an extensive collection and will make just about any deal with anybody so that a trade can be made. A lot of times I take stuff that I am not looking for per se, but to make the trade, I do it b/c I know the other person really wants the show. I thought your response was somewhat ridiculous as I believe I have always been very accomodating to your wishes in many past dealings. So, back to your post here, the person was not being unreasonable at all, as others said, at least they responded and if you really want the game be patient, I am sure they will be trading again.

Tom
Another good example tom would be if you had the Grady episode when Aunt Esther makes a guest appearance or when Rollo makes a Guest appearance. I will send you On the Rocks, Out of the Blue, and Roll Out for just one of those eps-LOL
Old 06-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #18
tdubel
Forum Regular

Default Disagree Completely

Solomon,

Nada, nope, no way. That is my thoughts on your logic. This is tape trading, we do not own any of the shows, therefore there is no rarity. In rare cases, accomodations are made in the form of money or lopsided trades, 3 for 1, etc. BUT with me, having a collection that is truly unmanageable and is upwards of 20,000 different discs, tapes, film prints, etc, I find nothing is on or off the table as I said before, I do my best to make a trade with anyone since I believe in trying to make more shows available to all that want to watch them. Availability is what tape trading is all about, and you will notice the long time tape traders are not out to scam anybody or bleed people dry, they are here because it is a hobby and of course a quest to find the shows. Sometimes finding them is as fun as watching them.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:19 PM   #19
jasimon1
Forum Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to jasimon1

Quote:

Sometimes finding them is as fun as watching them.
Wait, you actually have time to watch shows after finding them? Boy! I'm jealous!
Old 06-07-2005, 04:26 PM   #20
tick26
Frequent Poster

Send a message via AIM to tick26

really, i would be careful receiving an email like that. they might not be trading at the moment, but to save their own butt and not risking getting their stuff taking away from the feds, they're not going to say, "i'll sell it to you." they want you to ask if they're willing to sell it. most likely they're going to set it at a high price. And if you've been searching for it for years, chances are, you'll pay the high price. traders know how are it is to find stuff and why would a trader make a responce like that to another trader? i can understand if you emailed them first, but vice versa, i would be very careful. it's a red flag.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #21
tdubel
Forum Regular

jasimon,

Only about 10% of the time do I actually get to watch them!!

Tom
Old 06-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #22
loren

my take

i would rather have that than sit and wait 3 months for it to show up

and turn down two other trades for the same thing

and then find out after 3-4 months that they are too busy or whatever

in the next guys case, maybe the trader didnt want to fool with one game and just said that to pass you off

i have had many trade offers that were looking to trade a few discs, i just tell them it costs too much in postage to fool with them, and i am up front about it on my trade web site as far as a base number to trade
Old 06-07-2005, 07:53 PM   #23
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

My $.02:

Like most others here, I too would be appreciative of such an email. One, it tells me he's not a scammer or else he'd offer right away and just send nothing after receiving a trade/payment. Two, he's letting me know he has it and giving me his email address so I can contact him in a couple of months to see how things stand if I've been unsuccessful locating it elsewhere. He's the one who's got what I want, therefore it's my responsibility to remember him and take up the matter at a later date, not the other way around. I would not expect him to remember to contact me down the road once my want post has faded into obscurity, nor would I expect him to save my want post so he can reply later.

I agree with Tom about this "I will only trade this rare show for that rare show" garbage. It's okay to not want to trade rare stuff, but if you don't want to trade it, keep it off your list and offer it discreetly when you need or want to.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:03 PM   #24
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygrae
My $.02:

Like most others here, I too would be appreciative of such an email. One, it tells me he's not a scammer or else he'd offer right away and just send nothing after receiving a trade/payment. Two, he's letting me know he has it and giving me his email address so I can contact him in a couple of months to see how things stand if I've been unsuccessful locating it elsewhere. He's the one who's got what I want, therefore it's my responsibility to remember him and take up the matter at a later date, not the other way around. I would not expect him to remember to contact me down the road once my want post has faded into obscurity, nor would I expect him to save my want post so he can reply later.

I agree with Tom about this "I will only trade this rare show for that rare show" garbage. It's okay to not want to trade rare stuff, but if you don't want to trade it, keep it off your list and offer it discreetly when you need or want to.

You are right, I will take those shows off my site right now. That's how they do things on the SportsBoard when they pay big money for certain games. So Tom I apologize to You for having those shows listed on my site.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #25
loren

i will make another bold statement

i have about 5300 dvds on my trade list

if you have anything i want, MY LIST IS OPEN FOR YOUR PICKING

i dont knit pick about 2 epsiodes or two discs

you add something i want to mine, you name it --its on its way

i dont have time or the energy to worry about this or that rare disc or episode

thats the same knit pick stuff that ruined the sports card industry, everyone thought they had the greatest card, and no one traded--
Old 06-09-2005, 04:36 PM   #26
snl75

ive had to dissapoint a few people by telling them that i have a show they are looking for but that because i only have one vcr right now i cant make trades i know its very annoying and i really hate having to disspoint people but i also didnt want to lie to them so when it comes to things like that im kind of between a rock and a hard place
Old 06-09-2005, 05:08 PM   #27
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by snl75
ive had to dissapoint a few people by telling them that i have a show they are looking for but that because i only have one vcr right now i cant make trades i know its very annoying and i really hate having to disspoint people but i also didnt want to lie to them so when it comes to things like that im kind of between a rock and a hard place

I had one of those responses before-lol
Old 06-09-2005, 06:09 PM   #28
Agent 13

Smile Hoarding rarities...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren
... i dont have time or the energy to worry about this or that rare disc or episode...
You are searching for those last 4 episodes of one particular series, so in a way, they are "rare", or perhaps I misunderstood you.

As for myself, I never hoard any series/movie, even if I've spent good money for it. I enjoy sharing my collection with other fans, and I've found that most of my "regulars" feel the same way.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #29
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 13
You are searching for those last 4 episodes of one particular series, so in a way, they are "rare", or perhaps I misunderstood you.

As for myself, I never hoard any series/movie, even if I've spent good money for it. I enjoy sharing my collection with other fans, and I've found that most of my "regulars" feel the same way.

I guess all traders are diiferent. I guess if I paid lots of money for a sporting event or TV show, I would want to keep a lock on it for a while to see what I can receive in return for it. I guess that's how we do things on the Sports Board. They are not into sharing on the Trading Site. The attitude is what can you offer me?-lol
Old 06-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #30
y2k3Joker
Why So Serious?

Which Sport Board are you referring to?
I collect game tapes also,

Joker