Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-29-2005, 05:49 PM   #46
tdubel
Forum Regular

Default Here Here

Harvey,

Here here, great post and right on point.

I still have 16mm films, but they have all been archived to dvd since they will eventually go by the "wayside" due to age. VHS will go bad too, although I have to admit, some of the tapes I have from the early 80s are in good shape and sometimes better shape than some of the more recent ones, they must have made them better than, they are definitely heavier!

Tom
Old 03-30-2005, 01:11 PM   #47
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

Tapes produced in the '80s definitely are heavier, and I think of higher quality, too. I do remember paying $35 for a single blank VHS tape back in 1978 - a major reason why so little off-air material exists from the 1970s - equipment and tapes were so expensive (I took out a $2500 loan to buy my first VCR) that you had to be really selective about you taped. And doing a trade could take months back and forth, since it was all done by mail or by telephone - no instant e-mail. A lot of people who traded back then have long since left the hobby, or like me, left for a long time and have come back.

One of the great advantages to DVD for me is archiving precious tapes - I don't get rid of the tapes, but I've taken a snapshot of the tape to preserve it. Every time you play a tape, you scrape a little more magnetic material off the substrate - a minute amount, yes, but over time you will see degradation of the tape. So transferring to disc means I can put some of my old stuff into circulation without further endangering my originals. So I get to watch the stuff too. Plus, I've still got a lot of stuff on Beta and PAL, and the machines I have for playing those tapes back are getting older and aren't so easy to replace.

In terms of trading, I've become very careful about what I will copy at any given time - if it's on disc already, I'm much more likely to agree to a trade. If I've got to transfer it, I may well refuse a trade right now because there are other shows ahead of it in priority to me. I only have so much time and so many VCRS and only one DVD recorder, so unless I'm trading for something I want badly, I'm dictating the order in which programs get transferred to disc. There have been a couple of people who've gotten angry with me for not being willing to drop everything and convert the show they want from my collection - these are often the same people who don't have anything I want, as well. :<

A downside I see to the whole-hearted embrace of DVD trading is that there are still a lot of great traders out there with truly rare and wonderful stuff who are still using only VHS (or Beta). Tape trading takes time, frequently a lot more time than it takes to do a disc trade. Patience is a key element in that type of trading. It should be in any kind of trading, IMHO, but it's especially important where duplication has to be done in real-time. The instant gratification quality of disc trading does seem to be encouraging a lack of patience among newer traders. This lack of patience (and in the case of some, lack of manners) can alienate old-school traders (and frighten newbies). I tend to go by the mantra, "Manners matter."
Old 03-30-2005, 01:36 PM   #48
Agent 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by debwalsh
The instant gratification quality of disc trading does seem to be encouraging a lack of patience among newer traders.
We've also seen tape traders get vehement with DVD traders in defense of videos. The moral of the story is to respect each other's likes/dislikes and agree to disagree because one day any of us may change our preference. After putting most of my collection onto DVDs, I cringe with the thought of a different form of media taking the place of DVDs.

Expressing ones opinion about their preferences is a far cry from name calling, and mud slinging, which is why posts have been deleted within recent days.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:36 PM   #49
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

The main point is everyone may not be able to get a DVD recorder at this time which is why they are currently VHS traders. So stop looking down n folks who are not able to be DVD only traders. I can't stand snobbish traders
Old 03-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #50
Agent 13

Snobbishness is one thing. Being able to have the liberty to pick and choose who we will trade with is another story. We should be able to say no without being called a snob or other nasty names.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:54 PM   #51
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent 13
Snobbishness is one thing. Being able to have the liberty to pick and choose who we will trade with is another story. We should be able to say no without being called a snob or other nasty names.

Well SitcomOnline should have two different Trading Boards, one for DVD only and the other VHS only and that would put an end to all this silly stuff.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #52
Agent 13

Not a bad idea, but most traders trade both video and DVD, depending upon how rare the show is.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:02 PM   #53
lilhave

I also dislike snobish people and in no way would I look down upon anyone. I also do not have or intend to buy a dvd recorder in the near future as it serves no purpose to me but then again i never saved tapes either.

I began by collecting old time radio progrmas in mp3 format and still listen to them. About 5 years ago a neighbor of mine showed me what he was doing. With a capture card in his computer and a vhs machine hooked up to the computer, he would dump the contents of the tape to the hard drive in what is called a mpeg file. Burning it with Nero gave us a vcd. We scoured the libraries for as many tapes as we could. On a cd you were able to put 8o minutes of video, if movie longer, then 2 vcds. So we were saving these films not on tape but on cds. Not being interested in the new shows we didn't tape off tv. Then came dvds and that opened new doors, you could take tapes if you had and burn them to dvds. I had no tapes but I started trading my vcd collection. I grew up with the b westerns as a kid and have about 400 in vcd format. Traded many of those for dvds. Think at the time it was 3 vcds for one dvd. Started picking up old tv shows. Remember all you need and I believe it was pointed out is 2 or 3 good sets and you can trade them many times over. Example, today I picked up over 100 Highway Patrol and yes, I watched it in the 50's and 4 dvds of Jack Benny.

So my collection grew and let me say now what's so important. I met a lot of nice people along the way. The one lady I trade with extensively on this site is Agent 13, a nicer person you can't find. If one of us has, we send to each other and the other will make it up sometime down the road. Today I sent her Mike Hammer's again from the 50's. These are 42 episodes and if on tape and copying in real time would take days and days. I live in a 3 bedroom co-op and if my daughter didn't marry and give me that room to store the dvds my wife would put me in the street. Tapes would be ludicrous. No room.

Costs. 7 dvds of Hammer at 40 cents a piece or $2.80. Postage, first class about a buck forty five. Have no idea what it would cost to mail a bunch of tapes but I'm sure more.

So to conclude, I have nothing against tape traders, everyone to their choice but then again I'm not for creamed spinach either

http://www.freewebs.com/lilhave/index.htm
Old 03-30-2005, 08:48 PM   #54
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygrae
With most people (it seems to me) now doing dvds and with dvd burning speeds now up to 16X, time is hardly a factor so far as copying is concerned.
It is a factor if you have a stand alone DVDR. Mine records in real time, just like a VCR.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #55
Agent 13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhave
So to conclude, I have nothing against tape traders, everyone to their choice but then again I'm not for creamed spinach either
I died laughing when I read this one, Harvey.

Well spoken, Harvey, my number one trader, though I don't like to advertise that too loudly lest you become so popular you end up finding yourself too busy to trade with me.