Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 2, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: A Look at the Party of Five Reboot; The Simpsons Not Ending Soon, Says Producer

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 04-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Default Agent 13, about the Panasonic DMR-E50

Hey

Does it make high-speed copies of a DVD that you have previously burnt? Like if I made a set of Mork and Mindy DVDs on it. Could I use it to make high-speed copies of that set without running another DVD player though it? I hope this made sense. lol
Old 04-07-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
Agent 13

Default Re: Agent 13, about the Panasonic DMR-E50

Quote:
Originally posted by tsmiller70
Hey

Does it make high-speed copies of a DVD that you have previously burnt? Like if I made a set of Mork and Mindy DVDs on it. Could I use it to make high-speed copies of that set without running another DVD player though it? I hope this made sense. lol
tsmiller70,

No, the DMR-E50 doesn't make high speed copies. It is basically the same process as with dubbing VHS onto VHS. Once you have a DVD made, you'd then need to connect a DVD player to it to make more DVDs. Unless I'm mistaken, there is no such thing as a standalone DVD recorder that does high speed copies.

Jen
Old 04-07-2004, 10:43 PM   #3
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

I think the new Pioneer w/hard drive models allow you to transfer stuff on disc back to the hard drive and reburn onto a new disc, at high speed (not sure how fast, but faster than real time).
Old 04-08-2004, 09:26 AM   #4
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

The Panasonic DMR-E80 allows re-recording to the hard drive from DVD-RAM discs only. It won't allow DVD-Rs to be copied to the hard drive if they're inserted in the same unit, but I've been able to copy the contents of DVD-Rs to the hard drive by playing them. That doesn't preserve the menus and such, however.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Quote:
That doesn't preserve the menus and such, however.
With "and such" being quality. Playing and re-recording results in a generation loss. That would not be the case if the Pioneer model does indeed work as I think it does (I don't have one, just going by what a friend who does has told me). It's really too bad that the E80 does not allow the same from -R discs.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I just looked over the specs on the Pioneer models - the highest-end ones have built-in TIVO. They can apparently dub at very high speeds (well beyond anything my Panasonic can do). But I didn't see anything about recording from DVD-R to the hard drive.

I think the DVD recorders are going to be like PCs - as soon as you buy one, it's going to be behind the technology curve already. :>

I don't think the standalone DVD recorders are designed - and I believe this is intentional - for mass production.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:47 PM   #7
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Quote:
I don't think the standalone DVD recorders are designed - and I believe this is intentional - for mass production.
Do you mean to say that you do not think that they are going to be the successor to vcrs? Or just that right now in early 2004 they're not considered, or designed, to be a mass market product?

Philips makes a much cheaper, scaled-down model specifically for sale in mass warehouses like Costco.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:18 PM   #8
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I was wandering if you mean that they are not as dependable as VHS? OR in other words they will break often.

You have me worried. I have alot to change over to DVD and I don't want to make 1 set of DVDs and then have a broken $400 dollar machine on my hands. lol
Old 04-09-2004, 09:01 AM   #9
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I meant that standalone DVD recorders are not meant to be used for mass producing discs (as in 30 copies of the same disc).

Based on the safeguards built into them, I'd say they are really designed for single-copy home use. They will not copy commercially produced DVDs, even when Macrovision and other copy guards are turned off, and they won't copy commercially produced tapes, either. And if a broadcast signal contains a certain code to prevent recording, they won't record that either. I remember hearing that the Starz networks had been fighting inclusion of those codes in their broadcasts, because they felt that the ability to tape and replay their movies was a major reason they'd become so popular among subscribers. The advent of digital signals allows these codes to be inserted in the datastream.

Now, there are no doubt ways around this with equipment inserted between the source and the DVD recorder, but at least the Panasonic that I have won't allow me to get around that.

I've heard people complain about this "feature." Even material where the copyright holder allows a backup to be made, the Panasonic has been known to refuse to copy.

This is why I feel that standalone DVD recorders are not designed to mass produce discs.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #10
Agent 13

Quote:
Originally posted by debwalsh
I meant that standalone DVD recorders are not meant to be used for mass producing discs (as in 30 copies of the same disc)...This is why I feel that standalone DVD recorders are not designed to mass produce discs.
I've made almost 1000 DVDs with my recorder, and the only thing I've noticed different about my machine than when I first got it is that instead of taking three minutes to finalize it now takes four.

Since I knew that I would be making close to 2000 before I could let my machine collect dust, I took advantage of the four year extended warranty. Most owners don't have the luxury of using their machine as much as I do (I work out of my home). I guess I could almost do Panasonic commercials, and maybe I'd get a commission on bragging about their products.

Jen
Old 04-09-2004, 10:57 PM   #11
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Hey Agent 13

Did you ever have to get your unit worked on and use your warrenty? just wondering.....

tsmiller70
Old 04-09-2004, 11:04 PM   #12
Agent 13

Quote:
Originally posted by tsmiller70
Hey Agent 13

Did you ever have to get your unit worked on and use your warrenty? just wondering.....

tsmiller70
tsmiller70,

I've never had to have my machine worked on! Since I got it in October, I've consistently used it 17 hours per day, without exaggeration. I use it all day long, and then when I go to bed, I use timer record for two hours. It's been great!

Jen

Last edited by Agent 13; 04-09-2004 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #13
tsmiller70
Frequent Poster

Question

hey,

I am going to be getting one probably next week. I have been looking and I think you sold me on the Panasonic DMR-E50. But, have you looked at the Panasonic DMR-E60? What is the differance?

tsmiller70
Old 04-11-2004, 10:26 PM   #14
Agent 13

No, I haven't checked into the DMR-E60. I have heard even better things about the DMR-E100 which includes a hard drive, but that is very, very expensive.

You'll have fun! And it'll open up a whole new world for trading.

Jen
Old 04-11-2004, 10:29 PM   #15
debwalsh
Ancient Archivist
Forum Regular

I have the DMR EH80, which has the hard drive. I got mine through Amazon, with free shipping and no sales tax. I paid less than I've seen it in stores (a little more than $550). I love the hard drive - I dub a single episode to the hard drive, edit out commercials with precision, title it, and when I've got the episodes I want to burn to DVD, I just select them and go. It's more time consuming than simply copying to DVD directly, but I'm really happy with the results. It's by no means perfect, but I am very happy with it.