Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Trading Post > Trading Post - Archives - Read-Only

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of December 9, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: New Sitcom from Chuck Lorre Under Development at CBS; Remembering Legendary TV Producer Leonard Goldberg
Fri-Yay: The Good Place Nearing the End; TBS Orders More Misery Index
Antenna TV's News Year's Day with NewsRadio Marathon; American Housewife Star Gets Netflix Comedy Specials
ABC's Schooled Gets Full Sophomore Year; Pop TV Rings in the New Year with Schitt's Creek
Special Guest Hosts on Late Late Show; A Very COZI Christmas Marathon on COZI TV
Roseanne Coming to COZI TV in January; Comedy Central Brings Back 31 Days of Holiday Survival

New on DVD/Blu-ray (October/November/December)

Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek) Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season

10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/18 - The Guest Book - Season Two
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
12/03 - The Simpsons - The Nineteenth Season
12/03 - The Simpsons - Seasons 1-20: Limited Collector's Set
12/10 - Family Guy - Season Seventeen
12/17 - Fuller House - The Complete Fourth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-06-2004, 10:26 PM   #16
hnybny
Banned
Banned!!
Frequent Poster

i see alot more people with vhs tapes than i do dvd traders. I only get a couple from time to time. when i convert my tapes to dvd once i get a converter, i plan to still trade vhs tapes as well as dvd. VHS should not be vanished. Since not too many people have converters now, there are mainly vhs tapes out there. The people who ONLY want dvds are going to be out of luck alot because very few people have shows on dvd especially shows that they converted or recorded themselves.
Old 03-06-2004, 10:33 PM   #17
funky-rat
Zit Remedy Groupie
Frequent Poster

I don't have a DVD burner and have no means to convert tapes, but I recently asked someone I was trading with to convert some tapes for me and told them to keep the tapes. The reason? I spent a lot of money on the tapes. I was scared to watch them for fear the VCR might eat them. It rarely happens but when more than $100 is involved, it's a chance I don't like to take. So I copied my originals, and mailed them out.

Most people I've come across are more than happy to convert them at no cost if you let them make a copy too.

That's just my two cents on why the DVD is nice too!

"NO!! Your ages COMBINED would not make you old enough!"
Old 03-06-2004, 11:21 PM   #18
dawsongirl
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Sitcom Analyzer
Yeah they can't assume because they have a DVD recorder, everyone has one. I was lucky to find someone with eps on DVD but wasn't looking for.
I have a recorder, but I'd rather dub them myself than have a trader do it for me. And unless they want to pay me $$ for the DVD, I'm not trading by DVD.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:42 PM   #19
rarevidz
Occasional Poster

Default can't fight the future

The fact is that you can moan, groan, scream, beat your chest and complain all you want. DVD's are the future. If we are lucky tape recorders may still be made. The last time I was in a Best Buy the video tape section as down to one set of shelves. The vcr display which was 90% of the space is now one shelf with 6 models. There were more models of dvd recorders on display than vcrs. I went through the same thing about Laserdiscs. I didn't see any need for the new DVD format. Well it only took a little over a year to kill the laserdisc. It may take a longer but I have no doubts the VHS is dying. Of course if the MPAA has it's way it will be illegal to own a copy of anything unless you bought it from the studios. Right now they are studying the RIAA success against music dubbers. They are going after software makers of DVD copying programs and already won one case. It won't be long until home tapers are next. And to all you people with web sites with the "I agree" disclaimer. It means nothing. Law enforcement has the right to lie to you to make a case. And that "Internet Privacy" bill everyones loves to quote. Do some research. It doesn't exist. How about all you rabid VHS traders contacting the moderators of this site and asking they set up a site for DVDR traders. That way you won't have to be bothered by all those annoying DVDR traders.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:50 AM   #20
cp32
Forum Regular

Default Can somebody tell me why so many people request shows on DVD? I mean do they think

in response to rare vidz: You have a 52 inch screen , must be nice.

Not everyone can afford to go spend 1500 - 2000 on a big screen.
Most of us still use 19 inch tvs.

yes crap in is crap out. However, I ve recieved dvds from TOBAL, moviedude ,blonde conan, joker, bkiser
whos quality are as they say. Of course its going to look worse on a big screen.

Like taking toddler shirt then stretching it out to an adult size.

It dont fit. You get the same effect using the zoom button on dvd player LOL!

There's still some of us who are currently using smaller screen tvs. I m still using the same old zeinith floor model 19 inch from the early 80's

It s great you have a large Tv but there s still alot of people using 19 - 27 inch .

In response to funky rat: I do the samething. I have no problem converting tapes for traders. I get a copy of something I wanted.

They get their original tapes & converted discs when finished.

I started out tape trading. I still do in addition to vcd/dvd trades.
I know how it time consuming . Vcrs often munch our treasured tapes. When we least expect it. Usually when you are trying to record it for another trader LOL!

I have a lot of tapes you cant buy anymore. Some things I taped no one ever airs. So converting them gives me a chance to preserve my tapes that I can't replace .

I love dvds but I also hate them. You get a little scratch,or finger prints, or teeny weeny bit of dust . They wont play. Thats the downside.

Dvds are definitely taking over the market. It s not different when the first vcrs came out replacing beta .
Old 03-07-2004, 02:15 AM   #21
rarevidz
Occasional Poster

Default re; cp32

Thanks, it is nice to have a big screen. We can waste pages discussing this. We have opinions based on our experiences. My experience is that a recording can look great on a 19-27 inch but lousy on a big screen. A good quality vid should look just as good on a big screen as a small one. I've connected a 19 next to my big screen and played back multi gen tapes. A 3rd or 4th gen will look great on the 19 but lousy on the big screen. A 1st or 2nd gen
looks pretty much the same on both. I have no idea about stretching. That is a problem with the hi def widescreens. You have to stretch the pic or black bars can burn into the tubes. That's why I stayed with a reg screen. The picture is the same as a tube tv.
If the cable signal is noisy the picture is noisy. Big screens amplify any defects .A smaller screen can mask them. I watch a 19" in my bedroom.A little adjustings covers up the bad signals. Can't do it on the big screen. I had several friends that recorded everything in slp. Fantastic pic on their 19". A few years later they went to big screens. Wow, couldn't understand why they had hundreds of unwatchable vids. Like you, the tv was at fault. I took same vids I had done in SP or LP and played back for them.
Solid pic, good color, little noise. I was busy loaning tapes for a couple years so they could replace theirs.
Like I stated before someone says they have 8.5 or 9.5 quality. I get what to me is a 5 or 6. It always goes back to their small screen tv and a 3rd or 4th gen master.
Sorry about the rant. Just based on my experiences. I'm glad yours have been better. I have been reading the posts of the traders you mentioned and have been tempted to set up a trade.
I just haven't had any lucky getting good quality vids from anybody putting more than 2 hours on a DVDR using a standalone or computer model. Again, just my experience, nothing more. Well, this is my final word on the matter. Like politics or religion, we could spend a hundred pages discussing this and never agree because are experieces are different. If you're happy, I'm happy.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:15 PM   #22
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: re; cp32

Quote:
Originally posted by rarevidz
Thanks, it is nice to have a big screen. We can waste pages discussing this. We have opinions based on our experiences. My experience is that a recording can look great on a 19-27 inch but lousy on a big screen. A good quality vid should look just as good on a big screen as a small one. I've connected a 19 next to my big screen and played back multi gen tapes. A 3rd or 4th gen will look great on the 19 but lousy on the big screen. A 1st or 2nd gen
looks pretty much the same on both. I have no idea about stretching. That is a problem with the hi def widescreens. You have to stretch the pic or black bars can burn into the tubes. That's why I stayed with a reg screen. The picture is the same as a tube tv.
If the cable signal is noisy the picture is noisy. Big screens amplify any defects .A smaller screen can mask them. I watch a 19" in my bedroom.A little adjustings covers up the bad signals. Can't do it on the big screen. I had several friends that recorded everything in slp. Fantastic pic on their 19". A few years later they went to big screens. Wow, couldn't understand why they had hundreds of unwatchable vids. Like you, the tv was at fault. I took same vids I had done in SP or LP and played back for them.
Solid pic, good color, little noise. I was busy loaning tapes for a couple years so they could replace theirs.
Like I stated before someone says they have 8.5 or 9.5 quality. I get what to me is a 5 or 6. It always goes back to their small screen tv and a 3rd or 4th gen master.
Sorry about the rant. Just based on my experiences. I'm glad yours have been better. I have been reading the posts of the traders you mentioned and have been tempted to set up a trade.
I just haven't had any lucky getting good quality vids from anybody putting more than 2 hours on a DVDR using a standalone or computer model. Again, just my experience, nothing more. Well, this is my final word on the matter. Like politics or religion, we could spend a hundred pages discussing this and never agree because are experieces are different. If you're happy, I'm happy.

Here is the point i think is being overshadowed, you cannpt expect GOOD QUALITY for a show that is RARE and hard to find. For Example, there is a show i'm still looking for that was aired in 1981 on CBS and it was canceled after a month which means it was never in syndication so why would I expect GOOD QUALTY and it's only been seen once in TV HISTORY? Futhermore, why would i look for a TV SHOW LIKE THAT ON DVD??? So that's the point I'm trying to make in this thread. It's very foolish to ALWAYS EXPECT GOOD QUALITY
Old 03-07-2004, 01:54 PM   #23
rarevidz
Occasional Poster

Default quality

You missed my point. I don't care how rare it is. I expect to get what I'm told. If you tell me I'm getting an 8.5 or above, that's what I expect. If your upfront tell me its a 5, 6,or 7 I can decide if I want it or not. I found a series I've been looking for many years. The guy bragged about his super quality. What I received was shadows on the screen with an occasional flash of red. Oh, by the way, he had lots of references. Now because of that and several others I no longer do more than a one or two tape trade to begin. Right now I'm looking at a pile of 30 tapes from the last couple months that are junk quality. I lost 60 hours of time but I do have once used blanks. Since quality is so subjective, my only rule is that--If I wouldn't want to get it, I won't send it.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:58 PM   #24
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: quality

Quote:
You missed my point. I don't care how rare it is. I expect to get what I'm told. If you tell me I'm getting an 8.5 or above, that's what I expect. If your upfront tell me its a 5, 6,or 7 I can decide if I want it or not. I found a series I've been looking for many years. The guy bragged about his super quality. What I received was shadows on the screen with an occasional flash of red. Oh, by the way, he had lots of references. Now because of that and several others I no longer do more than a one or two tape trade to begin. Right now I'm looking at a pile of 30 tapes from the last couple months that are junk quality. I lost 60 hours of time but I do have once used blanks. Since quality is so subjective, my only rule is that--If I wouldn't want to get it, I won't send it.

I was saying that you can't expect GOOD QUALITY before you make the trade. Like if you are looking for a short-lived show from 1973, you have to know that a good copy does not exist.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:06 PM   #25
lazygrae
Archivist
Forum Regular

Location: Canada, watching the grooviest gang of fuzz who ever wore a badge.

Quote:
if you are looking for a short-lived show from 1973, you have to know that a good copy does not exist.
????

While it may be true that you are not able to get good copies, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I've got copies of some short-lived, never- syndicated series' from the early 60s to the mid 70s that came from film prints and they look great. I've put them on dvd so any copies will continue to look great, unless/until they're dubbed via analog.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:12 PM   #26
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by lazygrae
????

While it may be true that you are not able to get good copies, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I've got copies of some short-lived, never- syndicated series' from the early 60s to the mid 70s that came from film prints and they look great. I've put them on dvd so any copies will continue to look great, unless/until they're dubbed via analog.

But it won't happen that often. You have to be openminded about quality for shows never in syndication.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:25 PM   #27
rarevidz
Occasional Poster

Default open minded

Hey, I bet you'll be getting a lot trade offers due to this post. You just announced to the trading community you don't expect quality. You have enlightened me. My only question now is-Why are any traders listed as bad for sending unwatchable tapes. What'd ya expect. You should know I said great quality when I meant one step above a blank. After all, it's never been syndicated.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:34 PM   #28
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: open minded

Quote:
Hey, I bet you'll be getting a lot trade offers due to this post. You just announced to the trading community you don't expect quality. You have enlightened me. My only question now is-Why are any traders listed as bad for sending unwatchable tapes. What'd ya expect. You should know I said great quality when I meant one step above a blank. After all, it's never been syndicated.

Of course it has to be watchable but i don't expect CRISP CLEAR COPIES of a sitcom that only lasted 4 weeks.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:38 PM   #29
vashti1999
NY METS - #1
Forum Veteran

Default Re: can't fight the future

Quote:
The fact is that you can moan, groan, scream, beat your chest and complain all you want. DVD's are the future. If we are lucky tape recorders may still be made. The last time I was in a Best Buy the video tape section as down to one set of shelves. The vcr display which was 90% of the space is now one shelf with 6 models. There were more models of dvd recorders on display than vcrs. It may take a longer but I have no doubts the VHS is dying. How about all you rabid VHS traders contacting the moderators of this site and asking they set up a site for DVDR traders. That way you won't have to be bothered by all those annoying DVDR traders.
I agree 100%. I argued some of these same points in this thread. I can understand not being able to afford a dvd recorder/burner, but it seems like some people are in love with vhs regardless. Probably only those of us who record both via vhs and dvd know truly how superior dvd recordings are to vhs, in more ways than just quality. Dvd has been one of, if not the fastest growing media formats ever, so that's why some traders will do without a title than accept the vhs; there may be the likelihood that it'll be officially released on dvd anyway. As for your last point, a dvd-r specific trading board might not be a bad idea.
Old 03-08-2004, 08:36 PM   #30
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Default Re: Re: can't fight the future

Quote:
Originally posted by vashti1999
I agree 100%. I argued some of these same points in this thread. I can understand not being able to afford a dvd recorder/burner, but it seems like some people are in love with vhs regardless. Probably only those of us who record both via vhs and dvd know truly how superior dvd recordings are to vhs, in more ways than just quality. Dvd has been one of, if not the fastest growing media formats ever, so that's why some traders will do without a title than accept the vhs; there may be the likelihood that it'll be officially released on dvd anyway. As for your last point, a dvd-r specific trading board might not be a bad idea.

I wish they would come up with a DVD board, that way i won't have to worry about people asking me do i have shows on DVD. I mean who do they think I am, Solomozon.com-LOL