Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #151
PracTz

Question

OK, I happily skip thru ghosts and UFO ones easily but I LIKED the Lost Loved ones.

However; I always thought it a bit frustrating when these stories had started out with horrific neglect/abuse and even after the reunions and being sent to more stable homes, the now-grown kids STILL resented the authorities for having 'split up their families'. Did they truly think it would have been BETTER to stay in situations where they were constantly abused and/or neglected with their lives in danger? I understand that they would have missed their siblings but why resent having a chance for a better life?
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:38 PM   #152
Vronksy
Occasional Poster

Longtime lurker, first-time poster, after becoming obsessed with UM once again after a serious Amazon binge.

The Lost Loves ones aren't my favorites, but I don't fast forward them. In most instances, I enjoy the historical reenactments.

I guess I feel the same way about the Treasure segments. But there's almost literally never any actual mystery there, and I find them kinda sad for that reason. Those naive individuals featured who spent their lives on those vain searches...

I don't like the UFO episodes and sometimes skip the entirely. I'm not into that type of "mystery" though I will grant that some of them are probably truly a mystery, and they might certainly be unidentified flying objects in the literal sense, it's just that the 'alien' rationale is boring and ridiculous.

The segments that are the worst are the Miracles. Ugh. So lame.

The aesthetic of season 7 onward is terrible compared to the early years. And as has been pointed out frequently, the fluff-to-interesting segment ratio goes down considerably in those seasons. Still, there's some good stuff there, and despite the music and the silly telecenter, it's still still Robert Stack Unsolved Mysteries and that's still damn fine television (as opposed to the Spike reboot, which I won't watch on principle).
Vronksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #153
xxxxmattxxxx69
Forum Regular

1)Ferdinand Marcos Buddha is the only treasure segment worth watching.
2)"Tom Johnson" was Tom Steeples and is now dead.
3)When people post victim's real names who appear in silhouette and fake names and post their real names on the public forum suck
xxxxmattxxxx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #154
amandab1234
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vronksy
Longtime lurker, first-time poster, after becoming obsessed with UM once again after a serious Amazon binge.

The Lost Loves ones aren't my favorites, but I don't fast forward them. In most instances, I enjoy the historical reenactments.

I guess I feel the same way about the Treasure segments. But there's almost literally never any actual mystery there, and I find them kinda sad for that reason. Those naive individuals featured who spent their lives on those vain searches...

I don't like the UFO episodes and sometimes skip the entirely. I'm not into that type of "mystery" though I will grant that some of them are probably truly a mystery, and they might certainly be unidentified flying objects in the literal sense, it's just that the 'alien' rationale is boring and ridiculous.

The segments that are the worst are the Miracles. Ugh. So lame.

The aesthetic of season 7 onward is terrible compared to the early years. And as has been pointed out frequently, the fluff-to-interesting segment ratio goes down considerably in those seasons. Still, there's some good stuff there, and despite the music and the silly telecenter, it's still still Robert Stack Unsolved Mysteries and that's still damn fine television (as opposed to the Spike reboot, which I won't watch on principle).
Didn't one man even kill him self because he couldn't find a treasure?
amandab1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:40 PM   #155
Archangel85
Occasional Poster

All Near death experiences are hallucinations
The Men in Black/UFO segment, the guy just wanted attention.
Robert Stack isn't scary. He was an amazing host, but not scary.
Archangel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #156
BlueGalexy
Frequent Poster

I have a potentially unpopular opinion regarding the Patsy Wright case. I believe that either UM left out some important info during the segment, or LE hasn't been completely forthcoming regarding the case. If Strychnine is such a rare substance that is so strictly regulated by the feds, than why weren't the authorities able to trace the sale?

I don't know...perhaps I'm oversimplifying something that's actually more complex. This just seems like a strange aspect of an already unusual case.
BlueGalexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 12:34 PM   #157
yourhomiebrian
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel85
All Near death experiences are hallucinations
The Men in Black/UFO segment, the guy just wanted attention.
Robert Stack isn't scary. He was an amazing host, but not scary.
I agree with first 2. The music and lighting make Robert Stack scary IMO. If you met Stack in a grocery store he would not come off scary.
yourhomiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #158
Jon
Forum Regular

Yeah, the "eyewitness" that claimed to have an encounter with the MiB hosted a show on the paranormal and UFOs on Austin Public Access TV - which is the same network where Alex Jones got his start. To say he wanted attention is quite the understatement.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:00 AM   #159
DazzlerSparkler
Sharon Kinne Imposter
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to DazzlerSparkler

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandab1234
Didn't one man even kill him self because he couldn't find a treasure?
Are you talking about the Buddha? IIRC, Roger Roxas was scheduled to testify before the courts about the case, but the day before the trial he died mysteriously, which is basically he got "Marilyn Monroe'd" (knew too much) so he could not testify.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #160
SPD Yellow
Forum Regular

Quote:
I don't believe that Tammy Lynn Leppert was anywhere near as happy with her career or home life as her mother made it out to be. Nor were some of Tammy's modeling photos appropriate for a teenage girl. The photo of her in the black and white zebra print bathing suit is a perfect example.
I agree. Though I've always wondered how accurate the segment portrayed her behavior. Because on one hand, her behavior is textbook mental illness. Elaborate conspiracy theories and massive paranoia that doesn't really make a lot of sense. There's been speculation that maybe she witnessed a crime while working on a movie set, but I keep thinking of stuff like when she made her stepbrother taste her food because she thought it might be poisoned. If she really believed that some crime syndicate was after her and trying to poison her, why would she have him taste test it? Most people don't want a loved one to be poisoned.

But the segment also said that she had been briefly hospitalized and was released without a diagnosis, which makes me curious. If she was in a psychiatric ward, then she would have been observed and evaluated by people with more than just a layman's knowledge of mental illness. If she was that obviously mentally ill, they probably would have noticed and diagnosed her with something.

But Unsolved Mysteries has been known to leave out information in segments, so someone want to help me out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger

If I invent as victim of a bizarre crime tonight in my neighborhood, with several dead relatives alongside, and a huge chunk of my story involves a band of distinct perpetrators, there will be no evidence of those perpetrators. It doesn’t matter if I describe four hippies or Three Blind Mice. Nobody will find them or sniff them. Nobody will subsequently volunteer as one of the Blind Mice and be taken seriously. It’s going to be air and blank stares, with suspicion properly directed at me.
In your hypothetical scenario, law enforcement might consider your testimony to be valid if there was actual, solid physical evidence that these people actually were in the home. Also if there isn't such a massive discrepancy in injuries where a pregnant woman and two small children are hacked up, while the six-foot army officer, who posed the greatest threat to them and had access to the drugs they were after, injuries are relatively mild in comparison. Also if you consistently stuck with your story and didn't have a clear motive for wanting your family dead.

Quote:
The fact that Helena Stoeckley existed is devastating evidence of Jeffrey MacDonald’s innocence. That variable alone overwhelms all the PPS flails, with the laughable concept of crime scene reconstruction, that you can somehow decipher exactly how many were there, who they there, what they did, and it what sequence. Laughable doesn’t do justice to how preposterous that is. Innocent people suffer and will continue to suffer due to societal ignorance of the matter. Cases of that type inspire even loyal family members to become vindictive simpletons.
You realize how ridiculous the first part of your argument is. You're basically saying, "Jeff said Helena Stoeckley did it. Helena Stoeckley existed; therefore, she did it." By that logic, I can say that George Clooney and I have carried on a torrid love affair for many years. After all, George Clooney does exist, so my story must be true.

As for the second part, nice to know you don't believe in any form of forensics, which can include such things as fingerprinting, ballistics, in addition to DNA. I wonder if you even doubt autopsies. Because since, I don't know, Belle Gunness would deny her multiple murders, than those corpses found on her property that were full of poison, don't mean anything.

Quote:
It really doesn’t matter if Stoeckley was later pressured or intimidated or threatened. It matters in justice system terms but not evaluation of the truth. None of those Stoeckley tapes or versions or details would exist upon MacDonald’s utter invention.
Again, Helena Stoeckley existed, which proves, in your mind, that she did it.

Though you've never answered one point I keep bringing up. You seem to believe that the justice system is made up entirely of Javerts, who don't care who actually committed the crime, so long as someone hangs for it. But if that's true, then why wouldn't they try to pin it all on Helena? Who do you think would present more of a challenge in court, a wealthy, Princeton-educated doctor with considerable resources at his disposal or an addict so addled as a result of years of drug abuse that it's a miracle she knows what color the sky is on any given day?

I continue to believe that if Jeff wasn't such an attractive, charismatic person, he wouldn't have anywhere near the amount of defenders he does. Though I should also add wealthy and white to the list as well. There's a general profile of people who wind up being convicted of crimes they didn't commit. They tend to be Black or Hispanic, impoverished, the extent of their education being a high school diploma or a GED. Little, if any, of that describes Jeff, unless you believe that rich, white dudes are disproportionately targeted above all other groups in society.

It's really irritating especially in light of cases like Cameron Todd Willingham and Carlos Deluna. Both were of a blue-collar, low-income background, and both were executed for crimes they likely didn't commit. Yet they don't have anywhere near as many cheerleaders as Jeff.
SPD Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #161
LooksLikeCRicci
Likes to live in a clean house

Send a message via AIM to LooksLikeCRicci Send a message via Yahoo to LooksLikeCRicci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger
The O.J. jury got it wrong. Brutally wrong. Disgracefully wrong. But as that verdict was read, F. Lee Bailey understood like nobody else a properly weighted variable. Bailey knew that upon a guilty verdict in a case of that magnitude it would require extensive paperwork and planning, something that would require considerably more time than had passed since jury deliberations had concluded. I remember watching that verdict live and being struck at how Bailey’s reaction was completely unlike anyone else on the defense side. Robert Kardashian was in shock. Johnny Cochran was jubilant. Simpson was almost giddy. As my Las Vegas friends alongside that Monday morning were loudly discussing what had transpired, I was mostly silent and wondering what F. Lee Bailey knew. Plainly he knew something. I awaited Bailey’s summary more than anything else in the aftermath.

And it was terrific later that day when Bailey indeed volunteered that he knew it had to be not guilty, based on duration alone. He wasn’t asked. He provided. Bailey in that court room setting knew that one particular variable was worth exponentially more than anything else attached, even if that variable was mostly ignored or confidently downplayed by others.
The O.J. verdict was troubling on so many levels. I re-watched the verdict not that long ago and was stuck by a lot of the things you pointed out. Robert Kardashian DOES, indeed, look shocked. And sick to his stomach. O.J. was giddy. But it's Cochran's response that I find the most appalling. His reaction was not one of, "Excellent, an innocent man was found not guilty," but one that you see someone do when they win a game. The trial was nothing more than a game to Cochran-- it was never about justice. It was never about finding the truth. It was about winning. Disgusting.
LooksLikeCRicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:01 AM   #162
Mysteryphile
I wonder what happened to her.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr369
My unpopular opinion would be that Tim McClure did not have anything to do with his mother's murder.
I think the exact same thing!
Mysteryphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #163
drew790
Forum Regular

Anyone who could wear a bright pink sweater with a mullet is at the very least unhinged.
drew790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 AM   #164
James T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
The O.J. verdict was troubling on so many levels. I re-watched the verdict not that long ago and was stuck by a lot of the things you pointed out. Robert Kardashian DOES, indeed, look shocked. And sick to his stomach. O.J. was giddy. But it's Cochran's response that I find the most appalling. His reaction was not one of, "Excellent, an innocent man was found not guilty," but one that you see someone do when they win a game. The trial was nothing more than a game to Cochran-- it was never about justice. It was never about finding the truth. It was about winning. Disgusting.
Well that is the legal system for you-not about the truth but who can present the best & the defence automatically have the advantage because they don't have to prove anything, just throw enough doubt out there. The prosecution already had enough problems with the forensics handling & some of their witnesses, getting OJ to stop taking his arthritis medicine so that his hands swelled up was a masterstroke.
James T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #165
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooksLikeCRicci
I was in high school when the verdict came down. My math teacher ended his lecture 15 minutes early and then turned on his portable radio so we could all listen to the verdict.

I couldn't agree more with your post. I always thought Cochran's reaction was a joke. But Robert Kardashian's reaction was always the most telling. He looks in complete shock and disbelief. Not the kind of reaction you'd expect from a member of your defense and close friend.
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote