Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cheers Central / Cheers links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Cheers Photo Gallery

Cheers - The Complete First Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete First Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Second Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Third Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Ninth Season

Buy Cheers - The Ninth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Tenth Season

Buy Cheers - The Tenth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Eleventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Eleventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Series

Buy Cheers - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Cheers

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default The Story Behind The Iconic ‘Cheers’ Theme Song And Why The Man Behind It No Longer W

http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/11/gary-po...rs-theme-song/

Quote:
“Nobody knows what I look like or sound like,” says musician Gary Portnoy, who was 26 when he recorded the song that would become one of the most iconic and recognizable TV themes of all time. Starting with his simple piano intro, da da-da-da-da da-da, then Portnoy’s delicate serenade: “Making your way in the world today takes everything you’ve got…” the Cheers theme was birthed.

“You’re probably exhausted talking about this song,” I tell Portnoy, who recorded it for the TV show 32 years ago.

“Pretty much, yeah.” he says, then adds, “But I’m flattered that there is continued interest.”

Portnoy’s voice is heard everyday (I’d say it’s safe to assume that somewhere, right now, someone must be watching Cheers) and the song undoubtedly has a legacy, infiltrating its way into other TV shows (Friends, The Simpsons, Ally McBeal, Saturday Night Live, How I Met Your Mother…) and being the ultimate earworm of multiple generations.

So, naturally, people want to know: Portnoy, how did you come up with this? Do you like what you’ve created? This song that you and the world will never escape.

“I am lucky that the song, for whatever reason, rose to the top of the mountain. I am lucky that it is one of my favorite things I ever wrote.” Portnoy says. “I do have songs on my shelf that will never see the light of day that I have fondness for, [but] nothing comes near the spotlight of the Cheers juggernaut, as I call it.”

Portnoy and his co-writer Judy Hart Angelo were commissioned to write the song based on the producers of Cheers‘ fondness for their Broadway song “People Like Us” for the musical Preppies. After a few months of trying out about four different songs, the Cheers theme we know today—”where everybody knows your name, and you’re always glad they came”—came to be.

“When I was writing TV themes I never set out to write a TV theme. I was really trying to write a song,” Portnoy says. This is part of the reason Portnoy has not continued his TV theme writing career. He’s disenchanted by the current state of TV theme songs, that are now roughly 10 to 15 seconds long, and longs for the narrative 60 seconds themes of decades past.

“I never wrote TV themes, so it became impossible for me to continue. There was no way I could write 10 to 15 seconds of anything. Nor did I want to.”

There was some debate at NBC as to who would sing the song. Going with someone famous was considered a smart move, considering that the show’s actors were not yet household names. But it was decided that Portnoy’s voice was the right voice.

He wasn’t nervous: “It was a TV show and it probably wasn’t going to last very long… If I had maybe known what it was going to turn into I probably would have been paralyzed with fear.”

And to this day, he does catch himself singing the iconic theme: “Obviously I do not walk around the world singing that song. But every now and then, if I’m walking alone somewhere, I do sing a few bars just to think, wow, it’s real, it exists. It is me [laughs].”
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
'80sSitcoms

That's awesome TMC, thanks for sharing.

I think this is not only one of the best TV themes ever done, but also one of the best TV intros period. The nostalgic "warm, cozy comfort song" of the theme, coupled with the turn-back-the-era illustrations and paintings (beginning with that dissolve from 1982 back to nearly a century ago with the first painting), it just completely captures the feel of what's it going for with the viewer.

And something needs to be said for the closing, as well. The view of the solitary bar after closing, "after-hours", with the now-empty bar stools around and all the glasses hanging over the bar, with the lone clarinet and piano, it just totally evokes the feel of "the laughs and good times" having come to an end for the day, and the bar remains steadfast where it will always be waiting for the next day.

Except, Chloe Schildhause, it's "And they're always glad you came", not the other way around. Switching the pronouns completely changes the meaning. Please, if you're going to quote the song you are writing the piece about it, at least get it right, huh?
'80sSitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Johnny be good!

Incredible story!