Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #46
Cyrax
Frequent Poster

Last year NBC cancelled all of its 7 freshman comedies (though 1 of them never made it to the air and another one was a Summer burn off), only renewed Parks & Recreation and Community. Even though they still have 3 midseason comedies on the bench, I can see the same thing repeated but they wouldn't cancel everything because I'm pretty sure Parks & Recreation is getting a 13-episode final season like 30 Rock did.
Cyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:55 PM   #47
EmoJoe
Cool cool cool
Forum Legend

Send a message via MSN to EmoJoe

They also have 2 midseason comedies set to air after The Voice. Those should do pretty well, unless they're really terrible.

www.sitcomsarestupid.blogspot.com
EmoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #48
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmoJoe
They also have 2 midseason comedies set to air after The Voice. Those should do pretty well, unless they're really terrible.
is one of those the John Mulaney sitcom, or has that been shelved indefinitely?
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #49
Cyrax
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I'd disregard midseason plans like that, last season NBC planned to air Do No Harm on Sundays and ABC planned to have 4 comedies on Tuesdays. Sean Saves the World won't have more than 13 episodes so they might use one of those comedies there instead of the unscheduled Undateable.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #50
EmoJoe
Cool cool cool
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
is one of those the John Mulaney sitcom, or has that been shelved indefinitely?
NBC passed on it, but it was picked up on Fox for a 6-episode order. Not sure if it's premiering this spring or next fall though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrax
I'd disregard midseason plans like that, last season NBC planned to air Do No Harm on Sundays and ABC planned to have 4 comedies on Tuesdays. Sean Saves the World won't have more than 13 episodes so they might use one of those comedies there instead of the unscheduled Undateable.
I'm 99% sure there will be two comedies airing after The Voice in the spring - which ones might be in question, but my gut says they aren't quite dumb enough to waste more new shows on the DOA Thursday line-up.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #51
yankeesrj12

Quote:
I would be very surprised if they did that. The only network that has done that in recent memory (ever?) is The CW...and even they have Whose Line now.

Also, "especially Parks & Rec" is inaccurate. It did a lot better than Sean Saves the World & Michael J. Fox in its most recent airing.
I wouldn't say Parks and Rec does "a lot better" that Sean Saves the World and The Michael J. Fox Show given all the ratings are low 1.0's.

If either of those new comedies hit at midseason, NBC will likely cancel both Community and Parks and Rec.
yankeesrj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:11 PM   #52
Cyrax
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I'm 99% sure there will be two comedies airing after The Voice in the spring - which ones might be in question, but my gut says they aren't quite dumb enough to waste more new shows on the DOA Thursday line-up.
The Voice can still stay at 9 pm even. Plus they have 3 unscheduled dramas and they can't all go to Sundays. Even if one of them goes to replace The Blacklist in a Revolution/Deception hiatus way, I still wouldn't bet on NBC trying comedies at the 9 pm hour on Tuesdays when ABC and FOX is already airing comedies there.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #53
mr awesome
Forum Regular

NBC loves Amy Poehler like they did/do Tina Fey, P&R is not going anywhere. They will find room for it, even if it is for schedule spackle.

Plus NBC seems to be planning to go back to their old comedy brand next season. This season's 'broad appeal' shows did worse than the low rated critical darling sitcoms that NBC usually is home to.
mr awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #54
mtlguy
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Also, "especially Parks & Rec" is inaccurate. It did a lot better than Sean Saves the World & Michael J. Fox in its most recent airing.
Ok we don 't have the same definition for <a lot better>:

Last show was...3 weeks ago, October 17th

NBC The Michael J. Fox Show 1.2/3 18-49 3.56 Millions
NBC Sean Saves the World 1.1/3 3.36
NBC Parks and Recreation 1.3/4 3.27

It has less viewers than both shows that night, and only .1 18-49 over MJF and .2 over Shawn. I would not call that <a lot better>...
mtlguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #55
EmoJoe
Cool cool cool
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrax
The Voice can still stay at 9 pm even. Plus they have 3 unscheduled dramas and they can't all go to Sundays. Even if one of them goes to replace The Blacklist in a Revolution/Deception hiatus way, I still wouldn't bet on NBC trying comedies at the 9 pm hour on Tuesdays when ABC and FOX is already airing comedies there.
They did it last year with Go On/The New Normal and it worked pretty well, until The Voice went on hiatus and the comedies never recovered. But premiering them post-Voice hiatus would fix that problem. Tuesdays at 9 is really the only decent comedy launching pad NBC has, so they'd be smart to utilize it. New Girl and The Goldbergs (assuming it's still there in the fall) have been struggling to hit 2.0 so I don't think they're exactly steep competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlguy
Ok we don 't have the same definition for <a lot better>:

Last show was...3 weeks ago, October 17th

NBC The Michael J. Fox Show 1.2/3 18-49 3.56 Millions
NBC Sean Saves the World 1.1/3 3.36
NBC Parks and Recreation 1.3/4 3.27

It has less viewers than both shows that night, and only .1 18-49 over MJF and .2 over Shawn. I would not call that <a lot better>...
For some reason I was thinking it hit a 1.4, but you're right. However, considering Parks has to face the death star that is Big Bang Theory and MJF/Sean have the much lighter Crazy Ones/Two and a Half Men combo, I think Parks' performance is stronger enough that it would be considered a better candidate for renewal than either of the 9:00 shows.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #56
irehtman

Parks and Recreation and Community, both need to end their series right away.

Sean Saves The World is about to become a next victim immediately.

Yeah, I just don't understand why NBC comedies are getting bad these days?

The better classics as The Cosby Show, Family Ties, Different World, Seinfeld, Cheers, Night Court, Saved By The Bell, The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, Blossom and Hang Time (#1 favorite).

I know CW does not accept anymore comedies due to too many bloodied brawl fights between fans, critics and viewers in it.
irehtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #57
EmoJoe
Cool cool cool
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesrj12

If either of those new comedies hit at midseason, NBC will likely cancel both Community and Parks and Rec.
If they only get decent ratings because they're slotted after The Voice then I really doubt it, considering what happened to Go On and The New Normal after they lost their Voice lead-in. I would be surprised if at least one of them isn't back next year, even if it's just for a short final season.

Here's the thing: NBC has yet to prove they can do better than Community or Parks & Rec with their comedies, hence why they're still around. Parks may not do a *lot* better but it does a little better (in a much worse timeslot) and has the advantage that every episode made will at least make some profit for NBC-Universal considering it's been sold to syndication.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #58
catsrule
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Veteran

NBC is preempting The Blacklist on Monday the 18th. Why? So they can add a clip show of The Voice. The clip show will air at 8:00 and the regular episode will now be 9-11. Stupid move, preempt your highest rated scripted show in sweeps, it's not like the clip show will do well.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #59
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule
NBC is preempting The Blacklist on Monday the 18th. Why? So they can add a clip show of The Voice. The clip show will air at 8:00 and the regular episode will now be 9-11. Stupid move, preempt your highest rated scripted show in sweeps, it's not like the clip show will do well.
Yea I hate this. I also hated that they preempted Chicago Fire for 2 weeks because of the Voice. It's a double edge sword. The Voice is helping both shows in the ratings but I hate all the Preemptions.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #60
James28
Michael Jackson - DCS Leader

About "Last Call with Carson Daly": Since Carson Daly is about to leave"Last Call" for "The Today Show", the program will have to find a new host by the end of the season. If a new host can't be found, then "Last Call" may have to be cancelled, and its time period given back to NBC's affiliates and O&Os. Another option is possibly having Mr. Daly continue "Last Call" in a new format. If "Last Call" does continue, Daly will continue to executive produce the program.

Last edited by James28; 11-14-2013 at 09:39 PM.
James28 is offline   Reply With Quote