Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-28-2013, 01:14 AM   #61
factsoflife

Arrested Development I guess is considered "short-lived", I think it had 3 seasons. It didn't have very high ratings, but was universally acclaimed among critics and a vocal audience who though small continues to support it to this day.

In fact, it is so popular that it has been revived by Netflix thanks to fan demand, for at least 1 more season.

It originally ran from 2003-2006 on Fox.

Also, My So-Called Life only produced 19 episodes that aired during the 1994-1995 seasons, but they were so universally acclaimed and popular among it's teenager fanbase that nearly two decades later people still talk about this show as one of the defining series of it's generation. This was before networks were concerned about programming for the teen audience; though FOX had a bunch of hit shows geared towards teens (B.H 90210 for one), few other networks cared about the teen viewers. This was before the advent of the WB network or The CW, and was the year that Friends debuted forever changing how networks thought about demographics; and the younger viewers. At this point "young" became what networks sought out. The success of The WB's "Buffy, The Vampire Slayer" and "Dawson's Creek" a few years later is what really changed everything and got networks to take-notice of the teen audience and changed the culture of demos driving a networks bottom-line, imho.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #62
McGillicuddy

I bet who ever was responsible for cancelling Freeks & Geeks and My So Called Life wish they could go back in time! I think these two were the most popular short-lived shows, gaining a cult-following too late.

Last edited by McGillicuddy; 03-04-2013 at 10:03 PM.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #63
factsoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy
I bet who ever was responsible for cancelling Freeks & Geeks and My So Called Life wish they could go back in time! I think these two were the most popular short-lived shows, gaining a cult-following to late.
From what I understand, My So-Called Life came thisclose to having a second season, but was basically cut-off at the knees by two events: #1) Claire Danes asked ABC not to renew the show because she did not want to commit to another season. According to her so much time had elapsed between shooting the pilot and the shows final episode that she no longer wanted to stay with the show. I think it was something like two years between the pilot and the final episode.

The other event was that the ratings were just terrible for the show. It never helped that ABC aired it Thursday nights right smack-against "Mad About You" and "Friends" on NBC (both top 10 shows at the time, Friends was in the top 5), and "Martin" and "Living Single" on FOX.
factsoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #64
irehtman

They need to reboot these shows in the future: Popular, Maybe It's Me, Do Over and Kevin Hill. But later on, Greetings From Tucson.
irehtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #65
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Veteran

One sitcom that was short-lived that I like is "Kirk" featuring Kirk Cameron and was produced by Scott Baio.

Kirk Cameron wasn't really preachy on the show despite being a Christian...his character even played this song!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUwEIt9ez7M

I wish The WB would get the older WB Shows on Netflix soon...I'd like to see this show on there despite only lasting a year and a half....

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #66
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

Quote:
One sitcom that was short-lived that I like is "Kirk" featuring Kirk Cameron and was produced by Scott Baio.

Kirk Cameron wasn't really preachy on the show despite being a Christian...his character even played this song!...
I'd like to see this show sometime too if I can. I've heard about "Kirk" but somehow it totally slipped by the radar for me when it first aired. I think I just didn't have the WB channel at that time.
And as you pointed out, it is possible to be a Christian and do a TV show and not have to be "preachy" all the time (though I do think there are appropriate places where some "preaching" is good. TV shows do this all the time- every "very special episode", etc. And some are very well done- Family Ties managed to deal with a number of tough issues in an eloquent manner, I think. So did Growing Pains for that matter.)
"Ha, I kill me!" - ALF
"I am The Way, The Truth and The Life. No man comes to The Father but by Me."- Jesus Christ (John 14:6)
MacLeaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #67
irehtman

These shows to be rebooted in the future:

- VR Troopers
- Superhuman Samurai Cybersquad
- Martial Law
- Popular
- Maybe It's Me
- Do Over
- Greetings From Tucson
- Half And Half
- Kevin Hill
Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #68
jehobden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb
Speak UP America didnt last long but it starred Jayne Kennedy
and Marjor Garter, dont know the spelling but he was a former child preacher.
His name was Marjoe Gortner, and he was said to have been a child preacher in his past.
I remember watching Speak Up, America, because it was one of the few original shows on tv during the Actors' Strike of 1980. It also starred the annoying Rhonda Bates, who was a 6'2" ex-gym teacher originally from Arkansas. As a TV Guide show review stated, she specialized in "gleeful smut", such as playing an undercover prostitute in one quasi-investigative segment.
I found out that the Actors' Strike was over when I was watching Speak Up, America one night. Sergio Aragones, known for his MAD Magazine margin drawings, was a cartoonist who appeared most episodes and drew a picture of the actors being ordered back to work by their union.
jehobden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #69
zachattack12
Frequent Poster

When it comes to one year wonders, I think there are only 3 shows that have a shot at the title:

Firefly
Freaks and Geeks
Police Squad!

My favorite one year wonder: The Good Guys (the Whitford/Hanks one).
zachattack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 AM   #70
irehtman

Maybe it's me, popular and do over. They need rebooting in the near future and get aired in a private network and last longer this time.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #71
MacLeaper
Child of the 80s

I like a number of short-lived scifi and fantasy shows, but I don't think any of them would be considered for the title of most popular short-lived show ever- lol.
MacLeaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #72
McGillicuddy

I can't believe Police Squad only lasted 6 episodes! That was classic!
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:33 AM   #73
king of comedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy
I can't believe Police Squad only lasted 6 episodes! That was classic!
It was a classic and I loved the The Naked Gun movies.
king of comedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #74
missy's pop pop
Hooray for "Hazel!"
Forum Regular

TV "And I have three words for you if you don't tune in -- 'SHAME ON YOU.'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger32
Interesting comments bb. I had forgotten about Flo, she was a very popular character on Alice. Some will say that her humor is what kept Alice on the air. She would be a natural choice to star in her own series.
The title of my reply was the last line of the actual radio promo used for "Flo" in 1981--a clever little play on the other three words that rocketed Polly Holliday to fame in "Alice." The sad part was, she never got the same great characters to work with in "Flo." Her interaction with Mel, Alice and Vera seemed to come naturally, while her interaction with her new "family" on "Flo" seemed strained and forced.

Really a shame that after she got shot out of the stair-lifter in "Gremlins," Polly Holliday never seemed to come back, either on television or in the movies...and we're all the poorer for it.
missy's pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote