Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cheers Central / Cheers links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Cheers Photo Gallery

Cheers - The Complete First Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete First Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Second Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Third Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Ninth Season

Buy Cheers - The Ninth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Tenth Season

Buy Cheers - The Tenth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Eleventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Eleventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Series

Buy Cheers - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Cheers

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fox Schedules Comedy Christmas Event; CNBC Gets A-Rod to Get Celebs Back in the Game
Fox Picks Up 2nd Season of Bless the Harts; Remembering Bill Macy of Maude
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 21, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Sunnyside Becomes First Casualty of 2019-2020 TV Season; Our Miss Brooks Arrives on DVD
Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

View Poll Results: Do you think cheers should be released on Bluray?
Yes 9 75.00%
No 3 25.00%
Undecided 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #16
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA
Blu-ray's biggest selling point has always been 1080p video. As with DVD, the alternate angle option is an afterthought. In twelve years of owning optical video disc players, I can't tell you how few times I've hit the "angle" button on my remote.
i almost never watch our HD tv - i get tired of every single program and commercial constantly switching from letterbox to "fake widescreen" with bars on top bottom and both sides, or appearing stretched or squished necessitating switching a setting on the tv for it to display properly, and half the time it looks washed out or blurry anyways.

I'd rather they'd stuck to just two options: standard definition 4:3 and HD widescreen

...as for the "take it or leave it", and "get used to it" sentiments - don't get too used to it; they will come out with something new and incompatible as soon as they can just to try and get more money from consumers
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
Brad
05/26/2013. Taste the happy.
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyrob
i almost never watch our HD tv - i get tired of every single program and commercial constantly switching from letterbox to "fake widescreen" with bars on top bottom and both sides, or appearing stretched or squished necessitating switching a setting on the tv for it to display properly, and half the time it looks washed out or blurry anyways.

I'd much rather they'd stuck to just two options: standard definition 4:3 and HD widescreen.
Yeah, I understand that. Some of the HD channels are still guilty of showing "stretchovision." TBS, TNT, History and A&E are the biggest offenders off the top of my head. If they don't have a program in HD, I'd much rather they show it in 4x3 pillarbox than stretch it (giving us short and fat people, and cars with oval wheels).

I normally stick to the HD channels, though, because I'm an HD snob. I have a 47" Sharp Aquos LCD, and I love it.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #18
LUNCH

Quote:

That's another thing I can't stand about HDTVs.--I actually recently bought 2 used regular tvs(not HD).Since they do not make regular tvs anymore I had no choice,cause normally I would never buy a used tv.I got a Sony 20 inch for 50 dollars,and a Toshiba 26 inch for 75 dollars.And I returned the HDTV we got.I don't miss the HDTV one bit,and it is a shame that they still do not make regular televisions.

Last edited by LUNCH; 11-19-2011 at 02:28 PM.
LUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
LUNCH

Quote:

...as for the "take it or leave it", and "get used to it" sentiments - don't get too used to it; they will come out with something new and incompatible as soon as they can just to try and get more money from consumers
And I agree with that too.Get more money and complicate things even further at the same time.
LUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #20
zypherix
Forum Regular

Original full screen ratio or no deal.
zypherix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #21
afijamesy2k
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zypherix
Original full screen ratio or no deal.
Not gonna happen sadly.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #22
Ant-Lox
Cloud Watcher

Friends was just released on Blu ray, the entire series. I don't know if it was filmed or shot on videotape (or filmed, and edited on videotape) but that's pretty remarkable, since James burrows directed both of the sitcoms.

Seinfeld, which was shot on Film similar to Cheers is appearing on Network TV currently in full 16:9 HD. It's not cropped from a 4:3 picture either. You see additional detail, and bokeh in each shot, it's pretty awesome.

Cheers was shot on film as well, and, we could hopefully see a full 16:9 shot, featuring details we never saw before.

Cheers happens to be, one of the best DVD's I have ever seen. It looks better than Wings, and Frasier, oddly.

Cheers in HD would be the end of everything. The colors, the pictures on the wall, the beautiful faces, it would be one of the best shows ever released on Blu ray, honestly.

I hope Paramount goes through with it.

Sports Allegiances
Philadelphia 76ers
Philadelphia Flyers
Philadelphia Phillies
Philadelphia Eagles
Detroit Red Wings
New York Football Giants

Ant-Lox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #23
afijamesy2k
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-Lox
Friends was just released on Blu ray, the entire series. I don't know if it was filmed or shot on videotape (or filmed, and edited on videotape) but that's pretty remarkable, since James burrows directed both of the sitcoms.

Seinfeld, which was shot on Film similar to Cheers is appearing on Network TV currently in full 16:9 HD. It's not cropped from a 4:3 picture either. You see additional detail, and bokeh in each shot, it's pretty awesome.

Cheers was shot on film as well, and, we could hopefully see a full 16:9 shot, featuring details we never saw before.

Cheers happens to be, one of the best DVD's I have ever seen. It looks better than Wings, and Frasier, oddly.

Cheers in HD would be the end of everything. The colors, the pictures on the wall, the beautiful faces, it would be one of the best shows ever released on Blu ray, honestly.

Cheers was broadcast in 16:9 shot on a HD Network.
afijamesy2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #24
afijamesy2k
Frequent Poster

Quote:

Cheers was broadcast in 16:9 shot on a HD Network.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #25
Ant-Lox
Cloud Watcher

So there is hope!
Ant-Lox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #26
Mr. Drucker
Forum Regular

"Cheeers" is one of my four favorite shows along with "All in The Family","Seinfeld",and "M*A*S*H*".I personally would love to see ALL of these mega-classics on both blue-ray and on one of those 80" big screens!RE-RUN HEAVEN!!
Mr. Drucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #27
ajgenard
Forum Regular

Quote:

From what I can gather, Cheers was entirely shot and edited on film. Fortunately that makes it pretty easy and cheap to re-scan and make new HD transfers for distribution, which they have already done for virtually all of the episodes. The online CBS syndication bible details what has been newly transferred and available for current syndication packages. http://syndicationbible.cbstvd.com/s...ers/cheers.htm

So Cheers on Bluray is definitely a possibility. They whole run is available in HD via Amazon Instant Video. Much of the work is already done and it would only take a relatively small demand. Other sitcoms get a bit complicated. For instance I know that the first 2 seasons of Frasier and at least the first few of Wings were shot on film but edited on videotape. Around 1996 I believe the networks started editing digitally, which has a sharper image than videotape but they were only done in Standard Def. That is what is used for the respective DVD releases and that's why the first couple seasons don't look as clear and sharp as Cheers as you've noticed. In order to get a new HD transfer of these, they must go back to the original film elements (if they still exist) and re-edit them, shot-for-shot - in other words, it's a ton of work and money involved. The last 2 seasons of Frasier were already edited for HD broadcasting (starting in 2002) so they are pretty set for Bluray, once again already in HD via Amazon Instant Video.

I am unsure of the technical history of Seinfeld and Friends - whether or not they were ever edited on videotape. But I am sure that they are the 2 most popular sitcoms in recent history and HUGE earners, so any amount of money required for HD upgrades was a no-brainer. I am confident nearly all the big hitters will eventually get a slick HD treatment. We'll just have to be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drucker
"Cheeers" is one of my four favorite shows along with "All in The Family","Seinfeld",and "M*A*S*H*".I personally would love to see ALL of these mega-classics on both blue-ray and on one of those 80" big screens!RE-RUN HEAVEN!!
Sadly, All In The Family was shot on videotape with a resolution automatically limited to 480i standard def. It could never be true HD. They already look about as good as they ever will on the DVD releases. Only thing Bluray would offer is the ability to store more episodes per disc.
ajgenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #28
Brad
Forum Veteran

I would be surprised if CBS has any interest whatsoever in releasing Cheers on Blu-ray. Our only hope is boutique labels like Shout, though I'm not sure how keen CBS is on licensing their product.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #29
Brad
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgenard
I am unsure of the technical history of Seinfeld and Friends - whether or not they were ever edited on videotape.
I'm not sure about Friends, but I'm almost positive Seinfeld was edited on videotape. The episodes were re-assembled from the original film elements when the 16x9 HD masters that are now in syndication and on TBS were created, which I believe was the same remastering session for the DVDs.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #30
afijamesy2k
Frequent Poster

Cheers on Blu ray would be great.