Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cheers Central / Cheers links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Cheers Photo Gallery

Cheers - The Complete First Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete First Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Second Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Second Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Third Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Third Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fourth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Fifth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Sixth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Seventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season

Buy Cheers - The Complete Eighth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Ninth Season

Buy Cheers - The Ninth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Tenth Season

Buy Cheers - The Tenth Season on DVD
Cheers - The Eleventh Season

Buy Cheers - The Eleventh Season on DVD
Cheers - The Complete Series

Buy Cheers - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > Cheers

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Is It Time to Lower Our Expectations for Sitcom Ratings?; Antenna TV's Dennis the Menace Thanksgiving Weekend Marathon
Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-29-2004, 07:41 PM   #1
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955
Default Would Diane and Rebecca have liked each other?

I wondered if Diane and Rebecca would have liked each other if they'd been working at Cheers at the same time. Personally, I'm not sure. Rebecca, in my opinion, was quite bright (and personally, I like her whiny-ness, although I realise that a lot of people don't) but I think Diane would have got a bit sick of her whining on and on about her desperate life. Rebecca might also have found Diane very snobby. I'm not really sure how they would have got on, any thoughts? I haven't seen the last episode where Diane shows up, so I don't know if there was much interaction between them in that episode. Did Sam introduce them? Did the viewer get any idea of what their first impressions of each other were?

Doc: Don't worry! As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles per hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower, everything will be fine!
Sharop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
MaydayMalonesGirl
ACID! POLICEHHHH!
Forum Veteran

Default Re: Would Diane and Rebecca have liked each other?

Yeah, Diane and Rebecca met during the final episode. (I recommend that you try and see that, its a great finale)

Rebecca has one of her breakdowns during that episode. After she runs off with her husband I remember Diane making a comment to Sam about Rebecca being emotionally unstable. Other than that, they didn't make any references towards each other. I really don't know how they would have interacted with each other. I have a feeling that their personalities might have clashed a little bit just because they seem like they would have different opinions on a lot of different subjects. Plus they were both a little crazy...
MaydayMalonesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 01:22 AM   #3
Brian Damage
I'm Rich Bitch
Forum Legend

Location: What Ain't No Country I Ever Heard Of...They Speak English in What?
Send a message via AIM to Brian Damage

I'm not 100% sure they would've gotten along in the long run. Diane was very intellectual while Rebecca was business savvy. I think their personalities would clash.

Money Doesn't Buy Happiness...But I'd Rather Cry in My Private Jet
Brian Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:23 PM   #4
Sharop
Andy Gibb aged 12

Location: Courthouse Square, Hill Valley, beside the clocktower, 10:04 p.m., November 12th 1955

I see what you're saying, they were two very different people. Another thing is that Carla really disliked Diane (although I have a feeling that underneath all of that, she may have liked her a little), but, although she took the mickey out of Rebecca, she never really disliked her the way she did Diane. What was it she had against Diane, exactly?
Sharop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
ChambersVsMalone
Cheers!
Frequent Poster

God knows why Carla had it out for Diane, she just didn't like her personality, I guess, much like Cliff. She thought she was too much of a know it all. Though her dislike for Diane really did seem to intensify the closer she and Sam got.

Anyway, Diane and Rebecca: The Rebecca of the later years that would whine and complain, I don't think Diane would have liked her too much. Diane did seem to think she was a little odd when she met her in the series finale, since Rebecca was having one of her breakdowns. Diane called her the equivilent to Mr. Toad's Wild Ride or something, I believe.

I do think they would have at least gotten along. They wouldn't have had a Diane/Carla relationship, I don't think. I think that Diane would have liked her for how she didn't give Sam the time of day and never really fell for his lines or charm. It reminds me a bit of "Coach in Love 1 and 2" when Diane got a kick out of that woman Sue turning Sam down no matter what he did.
ChambersVsMalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
Dr. John Becker
A Great American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMalonesGirl
Yeah, Diane and Rebecca met during the final episode. (I recommend that you try and see that, its a great finale)

Rebecca has one of her breakdowns during that episode. After she runs off with her husband I remember Diane making a comment to Sam about Rebecca being emotionally unstable. Other than that, they didn't make any references towards each other. I really don't know how they would have interacted with each other. I have a feeling that their personalities might have clashed a little bit just because they seem like they would have different opinions on a lot of different subjects. Plus they were both a little crazy...

Diane on Rebecca "She's interesting"
Old 01-04-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
slackermonkey
the big yellow joint

Send a message via AIM to slackermonkey

Diane probably would have tried to like Rebecca, but would have found her too whiny and neurotic. I doubt Rebecca would have liked Diane, nor would she try to. She would find her too snobby and boring.

Still, I'm sure they would have at least tolerated each other. Diane certainly wouldn't clash with her the way she would with Carla.

Personally, I'm much more interested in wondering how Diane and Lilith would have gotten along. The three episodes they were in together, plus their Frasier appearance in Frasier's dream, weren't much of an indication.

TV on DVD Checklist:
05/09 - Scrubs: The Complete Third Season
05/30 - Joey: The Complete First Season
06/13 - Cheers: The Complete Eighth Season
06/13 - Frasier: The Complete Eighth Season
06/20 - Justice League: Season 2
07/25 - Animaniacs: Volume 1
10/?? - Scrubs: The Complete Fourth Season
12/06 - Animaniacs: Volume 2

Last edited by slackermonkey; 01-04-2005 at 10:12 PM.
slackermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
MaydayMalonesGirl
ACID! POLICEHHHH!
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharop
What was it she had against Diane, exactly?
She probably disliked her just because she was so much different than everyone else at the bar. She was extremely intelligent compared to everybody which made her seem like a complete snob. Plus she was going out with Sam for a while. That seemed to upset Carla...

Again, its all about clashing personalities.
MaydayMalonesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #9
slackermonkey
the big yellow joint

Send a message via AIM to slackermonkey

According to Jim Burrows himself:

Quote:
We tried to create strong relationships with the supporting characters also. We always felt that Carla had the hots for Sam, which she did and still does, and we always felt that she was at odds with Diane because Sam liked Diane. She would pick on Diane and you'd feel sorry for Carla, so she would get away with being hostile. Now those dynamics over the years evolved and they were great. I think that subliminally Carla felt Diane was smarter than she was. She might have been smarter on an intellectual level, but Carla's street smart. Diane's home life was happy, Carla's wasn't. Carla's saddled with a number of children, Diane is free.
slackermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #10
Lekuto
Mayday in Training
Occasional Poster

Send a message via AIM to Lekuto

I don't think they would have gotten along, mostly for the way Sam acted towards Rebecca. Diane probably would not have appreciated seeing the man she once loved(still loves?) hanging all over Backseat Becky.
Lekuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #11
barwars
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekuto
I don't think they would have gotten along, mostly for the way Sam acted towards Rebecca. Diane probably would not have appreciated seeing the man she once loved(still loves?) hanging all over Backseat Becky.
If Diane stayed around, Sam wouldn't have hung all over Rebecca.
barwars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
CSeaver22
Occasional Poster

Sorry I keep on talking lol...but I'm going to have to say that I think they actually would get along. Like ChambersvsMalone (love your screen name btw )said, they at first would have bonded over how Sam relentless tried to win over the both of them. And actually I could totally have seen both Diane and Rebecca get drunk together one night and bond over their respective "love" issues LoL. And a lot of best friends ARE complete opposites when you think about it. They would've certainly been funny in their scenes together. However, if they didn't get along I would have to root for Diane because I am a total Diane fan! But yes I would have loved to have seen them overlap for one season !
CSeaver22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
chipsaugratin
Frequent Poster

Diane and Rebecca would neither have liked nor hated each other. They would have been employee & supervisor and left it at that.

You will note that no matter what the state of her personal relationship with Sam, Diane rarely tried to interfere with or meddle in the running of the bar. This was just a job, a temporary stop on a way to something else. The mutual dislike of Carla, who was close to Sam, was personal, and class-based, but was never really about the job. They both knew who was the better waitress, and Diane never really aspired to improve. Coach was a father figure to Diane, and she was like a big sister to Woody. Most of the time she was indiffferent to Norm and Cliff, even contemptous, but occasionally friendly. Obviously, Frasier was her ex-fiancÚ.

Of course, Rebecca would never have been bar manager had not Sam sold Cheers after Diane left, so there is an argument to be made that they would never have met but for the final episode. The final episode actually is a good example of what there would have been between them - very little. Despite the lie she is perpetrating, Diane displays no jealousy of Sam's "wife." Perhaps she senses ther was no real passion between them.

That is the essence of why there would have been little conflict between Rebecca and Diane. Diane and Sam had a passionate, turbulent 5 year romance, but they were never friends and always opposites. Sam did chase Rebecca for several years to bed her, like he did many women, but there was never passion between them, even after they slept together the 1st time, and even while trying to get pregnant. Aside from the business, they were similar people and eventually friends. You can easily picture them staying in touch even after Rebecca stopped working at Cheers and marrying Don, because they had grown a friendship.

In summary, they would never have been rivals and would have little in common. Diane was at heart an academic and an artist; Rebecca was a (unsuccessful) businesswoman, and a golddigger. They had different kinds of relationships with Sam. Sam, despite himself, would not I believe pursued Rebecca had he been in the middle of his romance with Diane. Diane's only real rival was Janet Eldridge, a woman as smart and as classy as herself who also seemed to be passionate for Sam, in other words, similar. Rebecca is so different from Diane that I don't see that there would ever have been a conflict.

In the end, Diane would have worked, Rebecca would have managed, and they would have coexisted, nothing further.
chipsaugratin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
Jester's Motley
Occasional Poster

They would have been alright as friends. Hell Diane would have been friends with Carla if Carla had allowed it. Maybe it would be kinda like how Diane was with Lilith. I think they would have been friends especially if we are talking crazy Rebecca. Diane would have enjoyed helping her through her problems.
Jester's Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Johnny be good!

I'm just glad they appeared in character together.