Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

The Nanny links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / The Nanny Photo Gallery

The Nanny - The Complete First Season

Buy The Nanny - The Complete First Season on DVD
The Nanny - The Complete Second Season

Buy The Nanny - The Complete Second Season on DVD
The Nanny - The Complete Third Season

Buy The Nanny - The Complete Third Season on DVD
The Nanny - Season Four

Buy The Nanny - Season Four on DVD
The Nanny - Season Five

Buy The Nanny - Season Five on DVD
The Nanny - The Final (Sixth) Season

Buy The Nanny - The Final (Sixth) Season on DVD
The Nanny - The Complete Series

Buy The Nanny - The Complete Series on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1990s Sitcoms > The Nanny

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Raven's Home Gets 4th Season on Disney; Nick Orders More All That Episodes
Sunnyside Pulled, Will & Grace Back Early; CBS All Access Comedy Returns for Season 3
Sarah Silverman Returning to HBO with Late Night Series; Craig Ferguson to Host ABC Game Show
ABC Gears Up for Halloween with Specials and Sitcom Episodes; truTV Comedy Returns for Season 5
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of October 14, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Walker, Texas Ranger Reboot in the Works; South Park Banned in China
Fri-Yay: Another Netflix Original to End as BoJack Horseman Announces Final Season; TNT Sets Halloween Supernatural Marathon

New on DVD/Blu-ray (August/September/October)

Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series

08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 08-26-2018, 12:27 AM   #31
JL82
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
LOL I liked it better when they just plain hated each other, but that's just me. If it had been up to me, I would've kept them as enemies the whole time, but I know a lot of people don't feel that way.
I'm not sure they ever REALLY did. The signs were there all along (almost before they were with Fran and Max.)
JL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:36 AM   #32
JL82
Frequent Poster

Quote:
I watched "The Wedding" again today, and I have to say I looove the scene where Max goes to find out what's wrong with Fran, and he tells her all the things he loves about her. I actually think I had to wipe a tear, LOL. It's one of the moments when I love Maxwell the most. Even with all his faults, he really is a great guy.
Four and half years of him not moving fast enough for her, and now she's almost backing out. Actually, there were a few times after the proposal she almost did.

I actually don't think Max taking four and a half years from first meeting Fran before proposing to her is itself so bad. A lot of media (books as well as TV) imply that there's something wrong with someone who takes relationships slowly. Whatever reason they give, their friends always seem to say, "Oh, you're just afraid - you know you're in love - just jump in." Indeed, drama, problems in the relationship - and, indeed, an inability to talk to each other about feelings, are often said to be evidence of the strength of the feelings - the feelings must be intense if they scare you enough to avoid them. To some extent they did imply that about Max. He often could tell other people, such as Niles, how he felt about Fran - but not her.

And if the character is a single parent, and they say they're being cautious because of how it might affect their kids, someone always says, "Oh, nonsense, you're just rationalizing your own fear," or "Stop being so serious and live life."

I don't think his taking back his first "I love you" is exactly a good thing, but let's face it - he could have gotten her into bed and THEN taken back his "I love you" or said he wasn't serious about her. He's more decent than to do that. There were a couple of other times she seemed ready to sleep with him and he backed off because, to him, that was getting serious. "Fran's Gotta Have It" is the big one. You felt like he was almost as scared of the sex itself as of commitment, but it seemed classy at the time. Then in season 5 they changed that a little...there were times he seemed willing to get more intimate and didn't happen because something else got in the way, but he would have. And then they implied in season 5 that he'd had a casual fling (or two) with other women. That seemed very...un-Max. Out of character.

I actually view Fran's obsessive need to get married NOW as a fault of hers, and it makes her far less lovable than she could have been. She's a quirky "fish out of water" character, but she's not comfortable with her differentness in an inspiring way...she's very insecure, and not just about Max, or marriage.

I do think it's a little strange for someone who has already been married, whose first marriage lasted until the partner tragically died, to describe themselves as "afraid of commitment." I've always heard a lot of widowers in that situation are eager to marry again. Phrases like, "I feel like I'm being disloyal to my first wife," "I'm afraid I could lose her the way I lost my first wife - if my first wife could die young, so could Fran" or "I don't want the children to think I didn't love their mother" or such, would sound better (even if they weren't actually logical.)

Last edited by JL82; 08-31-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 02:20 PM   #33
JL82
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Yeah, "Not Without My Nanny" is great! How can you not melt when he says, "Fran, I love you"?! And the most important thing is, HE DIDN'T TAKE IT BACK!!! LOL!
Am I the only one who notices, however, that she does not say it back, EITHER time? I'm not sure exactly how much time is supposed to have passed before his saying it on the plane in "A Pup in Paris" and his taking it back, but it seems like enough time for her to have said it back. She gloats (in voiceover/narration) "I had finally gotten him to say it," which seems less in love with him than excited about getting a guy of his stature to fall for her and/or just snagging a man, period. I kind of wish he had pointed that out to her when he tried to explain why he was scared enough to take it back.

And she doesn't say it at the end of "Not Without My Nanny" or the beginning of the following episode...although I suppose melting into his arms for the kiss (in that outfit, no less) is probably satisfactory from his point of view.