Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Home Economics Is a Solid Addition to ABC’s Comedy Block; Mr Inbetween Season 3 Premiere Date Set
Aidy Bryant Comedy Shrill's Final Season; ABC's Sesame Street: 50 Years of Sunny Days
Superstore Star Lauren Ash Signs Development Deal with NBCUniversal; Jenna Dewan Joins New CBS Dance Series
NBC Schedules Peyton Manning Game Show; Apple TV+ Comedy Mythic Quest Returns in May
The Price Is Right at Night Welcomes Two Funny Celebs; Peacock Comedy Girls5eva Premieres May 6
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 12, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Nash Bridges Reprisal in the Works?; Season Finale Dates Set for Last Man Standing and MacGyver

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-April)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-13-2021, 03:54 PM   #106
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Mon Feb. 22 - Toon In With Me

ELMER'S PET RABBIT, NOW THAT SUMMER IS GONE, TAXI TURBY, FOOL COVERAGE (1952), GOING! GOING! GOSH! (1952)

Warners:

Elmer's Pet Rabbit (1941) - very early Chuck Jones, maybe the directors were vying to determine whose version of Bugs would be used. Ultimately Tex Avery's 1940 version, "A Wild Hare," won out.

Now That... (1938) - very early Merrie Melody from Tashlin, in reissued form, probably.

Fool Coverage - Daffy as a salesman, trying to sell Porky insurance, and he goes to some pretty great (and funny) lengths. This Blue Ribbon reissue was restored to the original Looney Tune on the Porky and Friends DVD--let's see what version MeTV has...

Going! Going! Gosh! - ah!, that's better, a 50s Chuck Jones Road Runner!
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #107
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Tue Feb. 23 - Toon In With Me

SCENT-IMENTAL ROMEO (1951), ZOOM AT THE TOP (1962), ROBOT RABBIT (1953), TO ITCH HIS OWN (1958), BIRDS ANONYMOUS (1957)

This is a first on TIWM--all Warners:

Scent-Imental Romeo - a Pepe Le Pew that for some unknown reason hasn't been on TV in years, to my knowledge. Let's see if we can spot a reason for that...

Zoom at the Top - Road Runner from the Chuck Jones years--keep 'em coming!

Robot Rabbit - another funny Bugs and Elmer from Freleng. Elmer tries a robot to get rid of Bugs. Originally in the network Saturday morning packages, years ago.

To Itch His Own - another toon that hasn't been on TV in years. This Chuck Jones story involves a super strong flea, Angelo, who decides to "flea" the circus and find a nice comfortable dog to settle on.

Birds Anonymous - an interesting twist on the usual Tweety and Sylvester cartoon, this Freleng entry won an Academy Award.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #108
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Wed Feb. 24 - Toon In With Me

HARE BRUSH (1955), I NEVER CHANGES MY ALTITUDE, ONE FROGGY EVENING (1955), JERRY-GO-ROUND, BILLY BOY

Warners:

Hare Brush - this kind-of overlooked Freleng Bugs has a very interesting plot. It wasn't part of the network Saturday morning packages back in the day, but was seen frequently on local TV.

One Froggy Evening - another must-see for animation fans, this gem from Chuck Jones is one of the most celebrated films in animation history. In 2003 it was preserved in the National Film Registry, and in 1994 animation pros voted it 5th of the 50 greatest cartoons of all time (17 of these 50 are Warner cartoons, 10 were directed by Jones, including number 1, What's Opera, Doc?)
Old 02-16-2021, 02:25 AM   #109
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Tue Feb. 16 - Toon In With Me

PUTTIN' ON THE DOG, FEMALES IS FICKLE, SYMPHONY IN SLANG, TRIP FOR TAT, HOT CROSS BUNNY (1948)

Warners:

Trip for Tat (1960) - a Sylvester and Tweety that was banned previously by CN (wish I knew why--I have a theory but I don't want to write it here--MeTV may be watching!). Sit back and enjoy a toon that probably hasn't been on TV since the CBS Saturday morning days!

Hot Cross Bunny - a so-so mid-century Bugs from McKimson. This is McKimson's "mean Bugs" period--late 40s to around 1951.
Make sure to check out Tex Avery's MGM classic Symphony In Slang. A man who literally died laughing, recounts his life story using only modern slang to a very confused Saint Peter and Noah Webster.
Charley Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #110
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Thanks! Good toon...

Hot Cross Bunny is in original form, with the correct production number (1053). Has to be the first showing on TV that was not a Blue Ribbon reissue. They probably got it from the relatively new Bugs Bunny 80th, Blu-Ray.
Old 02-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #111
Sal

Quote:
Tue Feb. 16 - Toon In With Me

PUTTIN' ON THE DOG, FEMALES IS FICKLE, SYMPHONY IN SLANG, TRIP FOR TAT, HOT CROSS BUNNY (1948)

Warners:

Trip for Tat (1960) - a Sylvester and Tweety that was banned previously by CN (wish I knew why--I have a theory but I don't want to write it here--MeTV may be watching!). Sit back and enjoy a toon that probably hasn't been on TV since the CBS Saturday morning days!

Hot Cross Bunny - a so-so mid-century Bugs from McKimson. This is McKimson's "mean Bugs" period--late 40s to around 1951.

I know why too and I'm not afraid to write it here because Me-Tv can't get me because I'm Canadian and I don't have their channel.

Trip For Tat is a typical Sylvester and Tweety cartoon where they chase each other around the world. One of the stops on their world tour is Japan. After another failed chase attempt, Sylvester falls into a body of water while passing a stereotypical Japanese fisherman with a funny hat who keeps saying "honorable" every 5 seconds using a very bad accent. That might be the reason why Me-Tv has their kimonos in a knot.
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:48 PM   #112
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

I agree that's the reason and I hadn't seen the toon in quite awhile, but it is really a bad stereotype. I remember seeing it on CBS Saturday morning and probably later on ABC.

I don't think MeTV should NOT show toons like this, but they could preface it with a message about its age and improper stereotypes.

And to top it off, Sylvester sank the fisherman's boat!
Old 02-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #113
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
I know why too and I'm not afraid to write it here because Me-Tv can't get me because I'm Canadian and I don't have their channel.

Trip For Tat is a typical Sylvester and Tweety cartoon where they chase each other around the world. One of the stops on their world tour is Japan. After another failed chase attempt, Sylvester falls into a body of water while passing a stereotypical Japanese fisherman with a funny hat who keeps saying "honorable" every 5 seconds using a very bad accent. That might be the reason why Me-Tv has their kimonos in a knot.
I had never had any problems with the "fisherman" in the cartoon.

Quote:
I agree that's the reason and I hadn't seen the toon in quite awhile, but it is really a bad stereotype. I remember seeing it on CBS Saturday morning and probably later on ABC.

I don't think MeTV should NOT show toons like this, but they could preface it with a message about its age and improper stereotypes.

And to top it off, Sylvester sank the fisherman's boat!
(finds "preface" idea in this message to had been an unnecessary one)
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #114
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Thu Feb. 18 - Toon In With Me

HIC CUP PUP, PORKY'S PASTRY PIRATES (1942), POPEYE PRESENTS EUGENE, THE JEEP, RABBIT OF SEVILLE (1950), HAWAIIAN AYE AYE (1964)

Porky's... - early Porky in black and white

Rabbit of Seville - a classic musical Bugs toon. I'm still waiting for the earlier Jones entry, Long-Haired Hare (Leopold...Leopold)

Hawaiian Aye Aye - last Tweety from the "Golden Age"
First appearance of Eugene the Jeep tomorrow morning on Toon In With Me

https://www.metv.com/stories/eugene-...d-the-jeep-suv
Charley Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:36 PM   #115
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post

(finds "preface" idea in this message to had been an unnecessary one)
(I don't think MeTV should NOT show toons like this, but they could preface it with a message about its age and improper stereotypes.)

You win the day on this, since MeTV doesn't do that. I hope that means they aren't getting complaints.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #116
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Thu Feb. 25 - Toon In With Me

WINDBLOWN HARE, THE (1949), BEWARE OF BARNACLE BILL, WHEN I YOO HOO, I'M JUST WILD ABOUT JERRY, THE IMPRACTICAL JOKER

Warners:

The Windblown Hare - Bugs is involved in the Three Little Pigs story

When I You Hoo (1936) - very early Merrie Melody in Blue Ribbon format--no original title card and no credits [Update: Cartoon was restored]

Last edited by stevea; 02-25-2021 at 08:54 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #117
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Fri Feb. 26 - Toon In WIth Me

THE UNRULY HARE, EASY PECKIN'S (1953), BROTHERLY LOVE, TEASE FOR TWO (1965), CELLBOUND

Warners:

The Unruly Hare (1945) - a Bugs and Elmer toon from Frank Tashlin

Easy Peckins - a really funny toon from McKimson, a fox tries hard to get a hen, but has to get past a huge rooster. Fast paced fun. A Blue Ribbon toon, I taped this one in original Looney Tune format on Beta from local TV years ago.

Tease for Two - a contracted-out toon pairs Daffy with the Goofy Gophers. "If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all."

Last edited by stevea; 02-23-2021 at 11:57 PM. Reason: corr
Old 02-18-2021, 09:49 AM   #118
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Sat Feb. 27 - Bugs Bunny and Friends

NAPOLEON BUNNY-PART, BOOBS IN THE WOODS, ODOR OF THE DAY (1948), BANTY RAIDS (1963), STORK NAKED (1955), SHOT AND BOTHERED, DR. DEVIL AND MR. HARE

Napoleon... (1956) Bugs battles a new foe, Napoleon. Not only does he make wrong turns at Albuquerque, he time-travels, too.

Boobs in the Woods (1950) - Porky and Daffy in what was originally a Looney Tune. Daffy's at his looniest in this one, as he keeps getting in the picture as Porky's trying to paint the scenery.

Odor of the Day - a back-bencher toon from Arthur Davis, the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies book claims this is a Pepe Le Pew cartoon--it's not.

Banty Raids - a Foggy toon, always worthwhile, esp. to make up for the previous cartoon

Stork Naked - another toon bypassed by Cartoon Network, probably because the stork is drunk. And Daffy is determined to keep him away.

Shot and Bothered (1966) - Road Runner from Rudy Larriva. No comment.

Dr. Devil and Mr. Hare (1964) - last battle between Bugs and the Tasmanian Devil, before the closure of the Warners Cartoon Unit.
Old 02-18-2021, 10:04 AM   #119
biffbronson
"My Three Sons" Fan

Have they shown any of the "Max Fleischer Color Classics" yet?

It's really unfortunate that the prints we normally see have amped-up reds -- as I understand it, the cartoons were later processed that way to adjust how they would appear on black & white TV (back in the 1950s).

Fortunately the b & w Fleischer stuff looks good, although we're stuck with "U. M. & M." instead of the original Paramount logos (or "NTA" is still around in other cases).
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #120
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffbronson View Post
...Fortunately the b & w Fleischer stuff looks good, although we're stuck with "U. M. & M." instead of the original Paramount logos (or "NTA" is still around in other cases).
This alteration of original prints stuff is evidently not limited to Warners.

In my commentaries on the Warners shown, I refer a lot to the Blue Ribbon prints, which were cartoons that Warners reissued to theaters (repeats, or reruns). Evidently they felt the need to alter the toons when reissued--thus the Blue Ribbon titles.

Pre-1948 titles were reissued with a new Blue Ribbon title card (sometimes with a mistakenly altered title), and the production credits cut. Later titles were reissued with most original title cards and the original production credits. All Blue Ribbon cards were Merrie Melodies cards even if the original toon was a Looney Tune. Many cartoons were reissued but not all were.

The Blue Ribbon titles were supposedly cut into the original negatives, making it difficult to "correct" the cartoon to its original form. Some cartoons have been restored to their original form (but nowhere near all of them), and I've read it's Warners goal to restore as many as they can. My guess is that it's a higher priority to restore those with missing titles and credits.

All Bugs Bunny pre-1948 titles now exist in original form--only 2 of those were reissued and the original titles were found. A change in policy occurred between 1948 and 1953, and 20 Bugs toons were altered and reissued. Recently a few of these have been restored (such as the recently-shown on MeTV "Hot Cross Bunny"). Some claim these are restored using photoshop; if so, it's a good job, at least from the way "Hot Cross Bunny" looks.