Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Home Economics Is a Solid Addition to ABC’s Comedy Block; Mr Inbetween Season 3 Premiere Date Set
Aidy Bryant Comedy Shrill's Final Season; ABC's Sesame Street: 50 Years of Sunny Days
Superstore Star Lauren Ash Signs Development Deal with NBCUniversal; Jenna Dewan Joins New CBS Dance Series
NBC Schedules Peyton Manning Game Show; Apple TV+ Comedy Mythic Quest Returns in May
The Price Is Right at Night Welcomes Two Funny Celebs; Peacock Comedy Girls5eva Premieres May 6
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 12, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Nash Bridges Reprisal in the Works?; Season Finale Dates Set for Last Man Standing and MacGyver

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-April)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-07-2021, 03:54 PM   #91
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Fri Feb. 12 - Toon In With Me

THE STUPID CUPID, DON'T LOOK NOW, HOLD THE WIRE, RABBIT ROMEO, EATIN ON THE CUFF (1942)

Warners:

The Stupid Cupid (1944) - an interesting Frank "Tish Tash" Tashlin toon, with Elmer as a cupid firing his arrow. Originally a Looney Tune, the title card and credits appear to be lost, due to the Blue Ribbon reissue program.

Don't Look Now (1936) - early Tex Avery, with Bob Clampett as an animator (a Blue Ribbon reissue, the original of this must exist somewhere). Another never-seen for many of us, probably...

Rabbit Romeo (1957) - a pretty funny McKimson toon, with Bugs and Elmer Fudd. For some reason was banned from Cartoon Network...

Eatin' on the Cuff - a late Looney Tune in black and white, probably. Bob Clampett, sit back and enjoy another one new to many of us
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #92
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Sat Feb. 13 - Bugs Bunny and Friends

PEOPLE ARE BUNNY, WILD OVER YOU, DAFFY DILLY (1948), CROCKETT-DOODLE-DO, TWEETY AND THE BEANSTALK (1957), SUGAR AND SPIES, MAD AS A MARS HARE

People.. - Bugs and Daffy from 1959, another McKimson toon has them competing in a TV game show

Wild Over You - Pepe Le Pew from 1953. A slight variation from the usual gags in the series from Chuck Jones, this one involves a wildcat that really tears Pepe apart!

Daffy Dilly - a Chuck Jones entry, probably another one where the credits are lost to the Blue Ribbon program. Full credits appear to be known, so the original probably exists somewhere [update: uh-oh, Daffy lights a cigarette, this one evidently wasn't on Cartoon Network. Goofy Daffy makes his comeback here, too!]

Crockett-Doodle-Doo (1960) - Foghorn Leghorn is back, trying to teach the little egghead a lesson, but the "kid" does better with his slide rule [update: this one is on next. I'll be watching to see if an "offensive" gag "makes it."] [Two. They BOTH did!]

Tweety and... - more beanstalk/giant stuff, this time with giant Tweety and "normal" Sylvester

Sugar and Spies (1966) - (groan) another contracted-out Road Runner from the DePatie-Freleng era. This time it's a McKimson toon, but probably the same as the Larrivas, with bad animation, canned music, you get the drill...

Mad as... (1963) - Bugs vs. Marvin Martian. This is after the death of Milt Franklyn in 1962, and the Bill Lava music cues just aren't up to the Franklyn/Stalling standards.

Last edited by stevea; 02-13-2021 at 10:31 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #93
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Mon Feb. 8 - Toon In With Me

INVASION OF THE BUNNY SNATCHERS, STRANGLED EGGS, TOM-IC ENERGY, PIZZA TWEETY PIE, A (1958), HELLO, HOW AM I?

Warners:

Invasion... (1992) - another kind-of modern toon, this has Bugs and several other toon stars

Strangled Eggs (1961) - another funny Foggy from Bob McKimson. Foghorn Leghorn is one of his best characters, patterned after a windbag southern senator, Senator Claghorn, from a 1940s radio show.

A Pizza Tweety Pie - Sylvester pursues Tweety in Venice
They did not show Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers; they subbed The Old Grey Hare. The MeTV website schedule was not changed and still shows Invasion...
Old 02-08-2021, 11:25 PM   #94
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
They did not show Invasion of the Bunny Snatchers; they subbed The Old Grey Hare. The MeTV website schedule was not changed and still shows Invasion...
Had no luck with searching the METV website to see if it has been rescheduled
Charley Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:02 AM   #95
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

It makes me wonder if they are missing some of the later toons, but they did show Carrotblanca.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:11 AM   #96
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
It makes me wonder if they are missing some of the later toons, but they did show Carrotblanca.
Plus an 80's Road Runner toon.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:05 AM   #97
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Tue Feb. 9 - Toon In WIth Me

SNOWMAN'S LAND, I -SKI LOVE-SKI YOU-SKI, WEASEL WHILE YOU WORK (1958), BONANZA BUNNY (1959), ALPINE ANTICS (1936)

Warners:

Snow Man's Land (1939) - An early Chuck Jones Merrie Melody. Never saw this one, it'll be interesting!

Weasel While You Work - a Foggy toon, during the musicians' strike of 1958--thus, canned music

Bonanza Bunny - a McKimson Bugs with recycled gags from earlier cartoons [update: this could have been the first toon with Black Jacques Shellac, a villain foe for Bugs who was also in the later toon Wet Hare]

Alpine Antics - a very early Looney Tune in black and white--another one a lot of us probably never saw...
Caught yesterday's episode of TIWM. Found Alpine Antics and Snow Man's Land very Disneyesque in character designs and voice actors. Only thing unique about Alpine Antics, was Porky Pig in a non speaking cameo appearance.

Still enjoyed watching the two other Looney Tunes and early b&w Popeye cartoon with the opening Stereoptical Process. Because a lot of their stuff unfortunately fell into the public domain, I feel like the Fleischers never get enough credit for all the groundbreaking innovations they brought to the art of animation.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:37 AM   #98
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:

Rabbit Romeo (1957) - a pretty funny McKimson toon, with Bugs and Elmer Fudd. For some reason was banned from Cartoon Network...
(wonders about why and when; wonders about the "..." in this message also)
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 11:34 AM   #99
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Fri Feb. 12 - Toon In With Me

THE STUPID CUPID, DON'T LOOK NOW, HOLD THE WIRE, RABBIT ROMEO, EATIN ON THE CUFF (1942)

Warners:

The Stupid Cupid (1944) - an interesting Frank "Tish Tash" Tashlin toon, with Elmer as a cupid firing his arrow. Originally a Looney Tune, the title card and credits appear to be lost, due to the Blue Ribbon reissue program.

Don't Look Now (1936) - early Tex Avery, with Bob Clampett as an animator (a Blue Ribbon reissue, the original of this must exist somewhere). Another never-seen for many of us, probably...

Eatin' on the Cuff - a late Looney Tune in black and white, probably. Bob Clampett, sit back and enjoy another one new to many of us
I was able to watched this mornings Valentine themed episode.

Stupid Cupid - another classic Looney Tune with Elmer and Daffy.

Don't Look Now - okay. The good thing about any Avery directed cartoons, is he never wasted time trying to imitate Disney.

Hold The Wire - Another fun B&W Popeye cartoon.

Rabbit Romeo - Funny Robert Mckimson Bugs cartoon, that breaks from the usual Bugs Bunny chase formula. I think CN probably thought Bugs was too mean in his treatment towards the female bunny. Which begs the question, why did the Cartoon Network want exclusive rights to show Looney Tunes, when they ended up probably censoring / banning more than half the library from being broadcasted on cable.

Eatin' on The Cuff - Another okay cartoon that was a little more adult in humor than your typical Looney Tune. Definitely made for a WWII servicemen audience. Also mixes in some live action.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:35 AM   #100
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Mon Feb. 15 - Toon In With Me

POPEYE FOR PRESIDENT, TOM'S PHOTO FINISH, THE CANDID CANDIDATE, BALLOT BOX BUNNY (1951), FRACTURED LEGHORN, A (1950)

Warners:

Ballot Box Bunny - Bugs and Yosemite Sam

A Fractured Leghorn - Foggy is really annoying in this one. Shut up shuttin' up, Foggy!
Old 02-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #101
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Tue Feb. 16 - Toon In With Me

PUTTIN' ON THE DOG, FEMALES IS FICKLE, SYMPHONY IN SLANG, TRIP FOR TAT, HOT CROSS BUNNY (1948)

Warners:

Trip for Tat (1960) - a Sylvester and Tweety that was banned previously by CN (wish I knew why--I have a theory but I don't want to write it here--MeTV may be watching!). Sit back and enjoy a toon that probably hasn't been on TV since the CBS Saturday morning days!

Hot Cross Bunny - a so-so mid-century Bugs from McKimson. This is McKimson's "mean Bugs" period--late 40s to around 1951.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #102
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Wed Feb. 17 - Toon In With Me

TREE FOR TWO (1952), OF RICE AND HEN (1953), BEWITCHED BUNNY (1954), BUSY BUDDIES, BETTY BOOP’S CRAZY INVENTIONS

Warners:

Some good ones today!

Tree for Two - one of Freleng's best and funniest toons. This involves Spike and Chester (tough dog/"puny" dog), Sylvester, and an escaped-from-the-zoo panther. Spike and Chester really worked for Freleng, so he did another one later, Dr. Jerkyl's Hyde.

Of Rice and Hen - probably one of McKimson's best in the Foghorn Leghorn series. Another one banned by CN, let's see if we can figure out why...

Bewitched Bunny - first cartoon with Bugs and Witch Hazel. She's an interesting Jones character--she's after Bugs, but she's still slightly likable because she keeps cracking little jokes, helped along by Stalling's music cues.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #103
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Thu Feb. 18 - Toon In With Me

HIC CUP PUP, PORKY'S PASTRY PIRATES (1942), POPEYE PRESENTS EUGENE, THE JEEP, RABBIT OF SEVILLE (1950), HAWAIIAN AYE AYE (1964)

Porky's... - early Porky in black and white

Rabbit of Seville - a classic musical Bugs toon. I'm still waiting for the earlier Jones entry, Long-Haired Hare (Leopold...Leopold)

Hawaiian Aye Aye - last Tweety from the "Golden Age"
Old 02-13-2021, 01:52 PM   #104
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Fri Feb. 19 - Toon In With Me

WACKIKI WABBIT, TEE FOR TWO, THE HEP CAT, MUSCLE TUSSLE (1953), A LITTLE SOAP AND WATER

Warners:

Wackiki Wabbit (1943) - Early Bugs from Chuck Jones

The Hep Cat (1942) - Early toon, directed By Bob Clampett. This is the first Looney Tune produced in color, with lost credits and title card due to Blue Ribbon reissue

Muscle Tussle - a really funny Daffy from McKimson. Check out the gigantic muscle-bound duck, with the unlikely voice, competing for the affections of Daffy's girlfriend.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:10 PM   #105
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Sat Feb. 20 - Bugs Bunny and Friends

MUTINY ON THE BUNNY, HIGHWAY RUNNERY (1965), TICK TOCK TUCKERED, A HARE GROWS IN MANHATTAN, LAST HUNGRY CAT, FOXY BY PROXY (1952)

Mutiny on the Bunny (1950) - Bugs battles an old arch-enemy, Yosemite Sam. One of several where they battle aboard a ship

Highway Runnery - another contracted-out Road Runner directed by Rudy Larriva.

Tick Tock Tuckered - a 1944 Porky and Daffy, this is another Looney Tune with lost credits

A Hare Grows... (1947) Bugs tells his life story to a gossip columnist

The Last Hungry Cat (1961) - clever Tweety and Sylvester, done in Alfred Hitchcock style. Cartoon Network showed this, but edited out a smoking scene (can't have that!)

Foxy by Proxy - Bugs battles a big, dumb fox-hunting dog. Another funny entry from Freleng.