Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Home Economics Is a Solid Addition to ABC’s Comedy Block; Mr Inbetween Season 3 Premiere Date Set
Aidy Bryant Comedy Shrill's Final Season; ABC's Sesame Street: 50 Years of Sunny Days
Superstore Star Lauren Ash Signs Development Deal with NBCUniversal; Jenna Dewan Joins New CBS Dance Series
NBC Schedules Peyton Manning Game Show; Apple TV+ Comedy Mythic Quest Returns in May
The Price Is Right at Night Welcomes Two Funny Celebs; Peacock Comedy Girls5eva Premieres May 6
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 12, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Nash Bridges Reprisal in the Works?; Season Finale Dates Set for Last Man Standing and MacGyver

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-April)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-27-2021, 07:44 AM   #61
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Knox View Post
Woody Woodpecker and Mr. Magoo are some other theatrical toons that I would like to see again. They should go ahead and add the remastered Fleischer and Famous Studios Superman cartoons to the Popeye block on Saturday Mornings. Even though a few of them would have to be censored.
No.
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:08 AM   #62
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

They SHOULD be able to show them all--this is why they have a PG rating shown at the beginning. But I doubt we'll see a lot of the wartime toons.

I can say they have not edited any Warners that I could see. They let thru a joke on a Foghorn Leghorn toon that prevented the whole toon from being on CN. Even though it's mild, I won't repeat it here for fear that they WOULD edit it.

And, they ARE showing at least some Speedys. They haven't been on TV for many years.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:01 AM   #63
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
They SHOULD be able to show them all--this is why they have a PG rating shown at the beginning. But I doubt we'll see a lot of the wartime toons.
(wishes not to have ratings of a certain kind (involving letters) appear over a TV program (or obscure part of a TV program); suggests having such ratings appear with some text similar to this group of text before a TV program: The following program is rated [letters indicating rating])
Old 01-27-2021, 11:23 AM   #64
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:

I can say they have not edited any Warners that I could see. They let thru a joke on a Foghorn Leghorn toon that prevented the whole toon from being on CN. Even though it's mild, I won't repeat it here for fear that they WOULD edit it.

And, they ARE showing at least some Speedys. They haven't been on TV for many years.
Out of the 17 shorts, three shorts from Famous Studios would not be shown on tv today.

1. Japoteurs
2.Eleventh Hour
3. Jungle Drums

Last edited by Charley Knox; 01-27-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Charley Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:32 AM   #65
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Example of Warners that wouldn't be shown: Southern Fried Rabbit, Herr Meets Hare, Which is Witch?, Bushy Hare, Horse Hare, Tom Tom Tomcat. There are others...
Old 01-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #66
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

To be fair to MeTV, many of the toons they wouldn't show are specific to WW 2, and apart from the stereotypes and slurs, they are specific to the times, and really aren't relevant anymore.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #67
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Example of Warners that wouldn't be shown: Southern Fried Rabbit, Herr Meets Hare, Which is Witch?, Bushy Hare, Horse Hare, Tom Tom Tomcat. There are others...
I've seen Herr meets Hare on Toon Heads so many years back. Don't remember that one being really racially offensive. Only mild controversy I can find with this one, is Bugs dressing up as Hitler and Stalin to foiled Goring. METV hasn't shied away from showing Three Stooges episodes dealing with similar subject matter involving WWII, which involved the Stooges spoofing Hitler and Mussolini in similar style to Bugs.

Actually surprised it didn't at least get an Oscar nomination for best animated short. It's very similar in style to What's Opera Doc.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:27 PM   #68
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

I didn't know about the Stooges. As to Bugs, there is one with him and the Japanese (the title of which I'd better not type here) which probably won't be shown. I agree, Herr Meets Hare is not too bad. There is another title which starts with the word Coal which the review in Jerry Beck's book says is a "Bob Clampett masterpiece, and certainly one of the greatest Warner Bros. cartoons ever made." It's a wartime 1943 toon, and I'd definitely say this won't be shown.

On Looney Tunes Golden Collections, they put a disclaimer read by Whoopi Goldberg talking about toons that are a product of their time...MeTV could consider using that as a disclaimer.
Old 01-27-2021, 01:39 PM   #69
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Oh, as to ToonHeads (I sure wish I'd rolled the VCR on that show!), the CN of the 1990s/early 2000s is not the CN of a few years ago, when they stopped showing Looney Tunes. I have the Egg-Cited Rooster (Foghorn Leghorn) copied from there in the early 2000s and they banned it. Same with Of Rice and Hen and A Broken Leghorn.

Even the world of the late 2010s is different from the world of the late 90s/early 2000s. And it gets worse every day...
Old 01-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #70
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

The one you mentioned and A Corny Concerto are Bob Clampett directed cartoons that spoofed popular Disney movies (Snow White and Fantasia).
Old 01-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #71
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
As to Bugs, there is one with him and the Japanese (the title of which I'd better not type here) which probably won't be shown.
Why not?

Quote:
There is another title which starts with the word Coal which the review in Jerry Beck's book says is a "Bob Clampett masterpiece, and certainly one of the greatest Warner Bros. cartoons ever made."
(wants to know the other word or words of the "title")
Old 01-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #72
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario500 View Post
Why not?
The Japanese names for Japan are Nippon. During WWII after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Soldiers and people shortened it to just the first three letters and it became a play on an existing English word, meaning to defeat by a narrow margin and took on an additional slander definition when only used towards people of Asian background.

Quote:
(wants to know the other word or words of the "title")
Snow is White as Coal is___?

If you want to learn more about these cartoons, you can go to Wikipedia and read up on the history of Looney Tunes.
Old 01-27-2021, 06:13 PM   #73
Mario500
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Knox View Post
The Japanese names for Japan are Nippon. During WWII after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, Soldiers and people shortened it to just the first three letters and it became a play on an existing English word, meaning to defeat by a narrow margin and took on an additional slander definition when only used towards people of Asian background.

Snow is White as Coal is___?

If you want to learn more about these cartoons, you can go to Wikipedia and read up on the history of Looney Tunes.
(remembers a certain World Wide Web site named Wikipedia often appearing to had been vulnerable to having false information due to its format; prefers using a source of information not always vulnerable to having false information)
Old 01-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #74
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Yes, Wikipedia is subject to the whims of anyone who can figure out how to edit it. Just as bad or worse is IMdb.

If I could figure out how to do it, I'd correct some TV show info. on Wiki.

Inaccuracies of Wikipedia notwithstanding, here is an interesting article:

Bob Clampett gives a fascinating account of Coal...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censored_Eleven
Old 01-27-2021, 07:52 PM   #75
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Yes, Wikipedia is subject to the whims of anyone who can figure out how to edit it. Just as bad or worse is IMdb.

If I could figure out how to do it, I'd correct some TV show info. on Wiki.

Inaccuracies of Wikipedia notwithstanding, here is an interesting article:

Bob Clampett gives a fascinating account of Coal...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censored_Eleven