Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Home Economics Is a Solid Addition to ABC’s Comedy Block; Mr Inbetween Season 3 Premiere Date Set
Aidy Bryant Comedy Shrill's Final Season; ABC's Sesame Street: 50 Years of Sunny Days
Superstore Star Lauren Ash Signs Development Deal with NBCUniversal; Jenna Dewan Joins New CBS Dance Series
NBC Schedules Peyton Manning Game Show; Apple TV+ Comedy Mythic Quest Returns in May
The Price Is Right at Night Welcomes Two Funny Celebs; Peacock Comedy Girls5eva Premieres May 6
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 12, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Nash Bridges Reprisal in the Works?; Season Finale Dates Set for Last Man Standing and MacGyver

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-April)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-13-2021, 06:01 AM   #31
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Mon. Jan. 18

BUCCANEER BUNNY, MOBY DUCK (1965), SPOOKY SWABS, DICKIE MOE, MOUSE ON 57TH STREET, THE (1961)

Warners:

Buccanner Bunny, a late 40s Bugs Looney Tune

Moby Duck, a contracted-out toon, this is significant since it's a Speedy toon. Now please, MeTV, show some REAL Speedys (when Speedy has a logical antagonist in Sylvester) from the 50s and early 60s! Speedy had two directors back in those times, Robert McKimson and, going to the big leagues, Friz Freleng. The first one, "Speedy Gonzales" from 1955, won an Oscar (purists will note the 1953 toon, Cat-Tails for Two, a funny McKimson toon--but this mouse is a different animation, but I'll grant, he's called Speedy).

[added note] Cat-Tails for Two is a really funny toon. It probably won't be shown on MeTV, but one of the funniest lines has the dumb-sounding cat saying (looking an oil drum): Duh, P-E-T-R-O-L, that's a funny way to spell water. And, of course, an eventual explosion.

Mouse on 57th Street, The, this is indeed a rare toon. To my knowledge, never shown on CN, and it was in none of the network packages back in the day. A Chuck Jones Merrie Melodies cartoon from 1961, it's a misc. toon, with no Warners "stars."

Last edited by stevea; 01-21-2021 at 01:37 PM. Reason: added info.
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:24 AM   #32
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Tue. Jan 19

ROBIN HOOD DAFFY (1958), A TALE OF TWO KITTIES, JUST PLANE BEEP (1965), NEARLYWEDS, PUSS-N-BOATS

Warners:

Robin Hood Daffy, with Porky and Daffy--this is a late 50s Chuck Jones classic comedy. Just like Wile E., Daffy swings on a rope or vine, turns his head, and smashes into a rock.

Just Plane Beep, another dreadful Rudy Larriva Road Runner, with the cheap, contracted out animation and canned music. Please, MeTV, get to the good stuff from the 50s and early 60s! More Chuck Jones Road Runners, please!

A Tale of Two Kitties from 1942 - another interesting early entry. A Blue-Ribbon reissued Merrie Melody, from the early days when all the credits were cut out on the reissue. Full credits are known, which indicates an original version exists, probably only in the UCLA archive. Allegedly a Bob Clampett Tweety, but probably not the Tweety we all know. Worth a view--I have it on a DVD someplace, but I'm too lazy to check!

Unsure on the last toon, it could really be a 1943 Warners, Puss N' Booty. The original is a black and white Looney Tune (the last b/w Looney Tune), but there is a colorized version "out there." Definitely worth a look-see... [Update: I did some checking and it appears to be a 1966 Tom and Jerry toon--Chuck Jones et al were at MGM by now]

Last edited by stevea; 01-19-2021 at 08:17 AM. Reason: update
Old 01-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #33
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Wed. Jan 20 - Toon in with Me

SPREE LUNCH, LITTLE BOY BOO (1954), DUCK AMUCK (1953), FISH AND SLIPS (1962), CAT'S ME-OUCH

Warners:

Little Boy Boo - more Southern fun with Foggy

Duck Amuck - classic Chuck Jones -- the cartoon animator is messing with Daffy's "mind"

Fish and Slips -- Sylvester gets in trouble when he brags to his son about his fishing ability--and his fishing is in a tankful of piranhas.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:55 AM   #34
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Thu. Jan 21 - Toon in with Me

FALSE HARE (1964), HOSPITALIKY, SHEEP IN THE DEEP, A (1962), BLUE CAT BLUES, ONE DROOPY KNIGHT

Warners:

False Hare - Bugs vs. "Big Bad", a later foe. Last Bugs Bunny cartoon before the original Warners animation unit shut down

Sheep in the Deep - the sheep dog vs Ralph Wolf (who looks very similar to Wile E. Coyote)
Old 01-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #35
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Fri. Jan 22 - Toon in with Me

HARE-WAY TO THE STARS (1958), A GREAT BIG BUNCH OF YOU, INSECT TO INJURY, THE SOLID TIN COYOTE, ADVANCE AND BE MECHANIZED

Warners:

Hare-Way - Bugs vs. Marvin Martian

A Great Big Bunch of You - a very early Merrie Melody (1932). Not a Blue Ribbon reissue, this should be the "real thing."

The Solid Tin Coyote (1966) - Ugh. Another dreadful Rudy Larriva Road Runner...

Last edited by stevea; 01-19-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2021, 12:19 AM   #36
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

What kind of ads do they run during this? The same ones geared to their usual demo?
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:56 AM   #37
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
What kind of ads do they run during this? The same ones geared to their usual demo?
The typical METV adds. Because of the 1996 FCC government mandate, you're probably not going to see any cereal or toy adds. I always wonder if they could bend the rules and show adds for cereals like Special K?

Anyway, don't let a few adds hinder you from rediscovering a lot of classic toons. I also like to see Saturday morning cartoons become a trend again for young and old.
Charley Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #38
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Sat Jan. 23 - Bugs Bunny and Friends

TORTOISE WINS BY A HARE, ZIP 'N SNORT (1961), RED RIDING HOODWINKED (1955), CINDERELLA MEETS A FELLA, DEDUCE, YOU SAY!, CORNY CONCERTO

Tortoise... - a 1943 Bob Clampett Bugs Bunny

Zip... - ah, this is more like it. A Chuck Jones Road Runner!

Red Riding... - Tweety and Sylvester, have no memory of this one...

Cinderella Meets Fella - way back to 1938 for this Merrie Melody. [update: a little jerky motion in this very old one (digital mastering issue), but excellent color. Also corrected title, from toon title card]

Deduce... - a 1956 Chuck Jones gem. Porky and Daffy in a Sherlock/Watson takeoff [Porky (Watson) narrates]

A Corny Concerto - a 1943 musical toon from Bob Clampett. Once a Blue Ribbon reissue, the original was located for Golden Collection 2. MeTV should thus have the original copy.

Last edited by stevea; 01-23-2021 at 12:27 PM. Reason: updated info
Old 01-19-2021, 08:47 AM   #39
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan. 25 - Toon in with Me

HARE-BRAINED HYPNOTIST, PIED PIPER PORKY (1939), BIRD IN A BONNET, A (1958), MATINEE MOUSE, OUT TO PUNCH

Warners:

The Hare-Brained Hypnotist - early Friz (Isadore) Freleng from 1942. A Bugs Merrie Melody.

Pied... - A Porky Looney Tune from the b/w era.

A Bird in a Bonnet - a Tweety from 1958, during the musicians strike. Translation: one of six Warner toons from that time with canned music
Old 01-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #40
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Tue Jan. 26 - Toon in with Me

BABY WANTS A BOTTLESHIP, DAFFY'S DINER (1967), D'FIGHTIN' ONES (1961), BACKWOODS BUNNY (1959), CRUISE CAT

Warners:

Daffy's Diner - Daffy and Speedy. No Speedys have been on TV for many years until MeTV showed one recently--here's the second.

D'Fightin' Ones - with Sylvester - a spoof of "The Defiant Ones"

Backwoods Bunny - Bugs battles a couple of hillbilly buzzards. These buzzards were also matched with Foghorn Leghorn a few years later.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #41
merlinjones
Forum Regular

Thanks for posting the WB listings!

I only overslept once so far and missed Robin Hood Daffy. Oh well, next time.
merlinjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #42
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan. 27 - Toon in with Me

FROM HARE TO HEIR (1960), MUCH ADO ABOUT NUTTING (1953), CORN ON THE COP, OLIVE’S SWEEPSTAKE TICKET, BAD DAY AT CAT ROCK

Warners:

From Hare to Heir - Bugs and Yosemite Sam, a pretty funny Friz Freleng entry

Much Ado About Nutting - a misc. Chuck Jones toon--a squirrel thinks a bowling ball [oops! - coconut] is a very large nut, for him.

Corn on the Cop -- a 1965 contracted-out toon, a rare entry from that period with Porky and Daffy.

Last edited by stevea; 01-27-2021 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #43
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan. 28 - Toon in with Me

STAR IS BORED, A (1956), HIP HIP-HURRY! (1958), LET’S YOU AND HIM FIGHT, AIN'T SHE TWEET (1952), BABY BUTCH

Warners:

A Star is Bored - Hmm, lots of "stars" in this one, one of the few toons with 4 or more (another one is 1950's The Scarlet Pumpernickel). This one has Bugs, Daffy, Elmer Fudd, and Yosemite Sam. Daffy is irritated that Bugs is being honored--the violence starts with Granny bashing Daffy over the head, and escalates from there. [update: had This is a Life? in mind. Does have all those characters, but this one has Daffy as Bugs's stunt double, and getting the worst of everything]

Hip Hip-Hurry - one of two Road Runners produced during a musicians' strike, this is one of a total of 6 pre-1964 toons with canned music.

Ain't She Tweet - one of many Tweetys with an unfortunate Blue Ribbon reissue, the original of this was a Looney Tune. An early 50s toon, it's full of fast-moving action--Friz Freleng in his golden years.

Last edited by stevea; 01-28-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:17 AM   #44
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Fri Jan. 29 - Toon in with Me

HARE CONDITIONED, ZOOT CAT, BE KIND TO “AMINALS”, MUZZLE TOUGH (1954), DUCKSTERS, THE (1950)

Warners:

Hare Conditioned - 1945 Bugs from Chuck Jones. For some (fortunate) reason only 2 pre-1948 Bugs toons were altered for Blue Ribbon reissue, and this Looney Tune is an original left unaltered.

Muzzle Tough - another action-packed Tweety and Sylvester. One funny gag I remember is Sylvester disguising himself as a lamp, and being "plugged in" by the tail. Electrifying fun!

The Ducksters - a Chuck Jones Porky and Daffy, originally a Looney Tune. A violent, action-filled toon, in the form of a quiz show.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #45
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Fri Jan. 29 - Toon in with Me

HARE CONDITIONED, ZOOT CAT, BE KIND TO “AMINALS”, MUZZLE TOUGH (1954), DUCKSTERS, THE (1950)

Warners:

Hare Conditioned - 1945 Bugs from Chuck Jones. For some (fortunate) reason only 2 pre-1948 Bugs toons were altered for Blue Ribbon reissue, and this Looney Tune is an original left unaltered.

Muzzle Tough - another action-packed Tweety and Sylvester. One funny gag I remember is Sylvester disguising himself as a lamp, and being "plugged in" by the tail. Electrifying fun!

The Ducksters - a Chuck Jones Porky and Daffy, originally a Looney Tune. A violent, action-filled toon, in the form of a quiz show.
I love the Ducksters. It was a spoof about the outlandish 50's quiz shows. It ends with a nasty bit of deserved turnabout.
Charley Knox is offline   Reply With Quote