Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Cartoons/Animated Series Photo Gallery

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Cartoons/Animated Series

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Home Economics Is a Solid Addition to ABC’s Comedy Block; Mr Inbetween Season 3 Premiere Date Set
Aidy Bryant Comedy Shrill's Final Season; ABC's Sesame Street: 50 Years of Sunny Days
Superstore Star Lauren Ash Signs Development Deal with NBCUniversal; Jenna Dewan Joins New CBS Dance Series
NBC Schedules Peyton Manning Game Show; Apple TV+ Comedy Mythic Quest Returns in May
The Price Is Right at Night Welcomes Two Funny Celebs; Peacock Comedy Girls5eva Premieres May 6
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 12, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Nash Bridges Reprisal in the Works?; Season Finale Dates Set for Last Man Standing and MacGyver

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-April)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #16
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

A lot of the color Bugs Bunny Show elements still exist--but as you mentioned some of it ended up on the cutting room floor. So what remains of the original ABC show are the b/w ABC prints.

I agree it would be great to see the b/w elements colorized and restored into the original show. I do know the closing credits exist, and the closing march of characters, as those were used on CBS Saturday mornings for years.

If the original show bridging elements were restored, it would be easy to sub the full cartoons in color. It would run long, but they have an hour to play with.

It was also interesting to see You Ought to be in Pictures in original b/w. I have a colorized version also--don't remember how bad it is, but I do know AAP or Guild Films or whoever did a horrible job of colorizing the old b/w Porkys.

I also hate the "Blue Ribbon" reissues. I've seen mock-ups of the original openings on Youtube (complete with correct production number)--WB should restore all those openings. Missing credits on 1940s cartoons are another matter...

And yes, it was great to see that "This is It" opening again Takes you back!
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:38 PM   #17
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Tomorrow's episodes
9:00am
Bugs Bunny and Friends
RABBIT OF SEVILLE (1950), BONE FOR A BONE, A (1951), BACK ALLEY OPROAR, CASE OF THE STUTTERING PIG, THE (1937), CHASER ON THE ROCKS (1965), BUGSY AND MUGSY (1957)
Charley Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 11:38 PM   #18
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Tomorrow's episodes
Bugs Bunny and Friends
RABBIT OF SEVILLE (1950), BONE FOR A BONE, A (1951), BACK ALLEY OPROAR, CASE OF THE STUTTERING PIG, THE (1937), CHASER ON THE ROCKS (1965), BUGSY AND MUGSY (1957)
Old 01-11-2021, 09:30 PM   #19
Mario500
Forum Regular

"The Hannah & Fred Show (1-10-21)" (Facebook video)

(note: description of video directly below this note)
Quote:
We start this week "cartooning around" with Neal Sabin, the creator of MeTV's "Toon In With Me," and show host Bill Leff about combining sketch comedy and cartoons on a new nationally broadcast program.
Mario500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:37 PM   #20
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Knox View Post
Tomorrow's episodes
Bugs Bunny and Friends
Seeing Bugsy and Mugsy again makes me wonder why CN banned it, unless MeTV edited out something I don't remember. Oh, wait, Rocky has a cig. sticking out of his mouth--that's probably it.

I didn't have Chaser on the Rocks in my collection, and forcing myself to view it again reminds me why.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:52 PM   #21
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Tomorrow:

WACKY WABBIT, HOOK, LINE AND STINKER (1958), SUPER SNOOPER (1952), LUMBERJACK AND JILL, CANNED FEUD (1951)

Warners:

First one is probably Wackiki Wabbit (1943), Bugs Bunny.

Hook, Line, and Stinker is a Road Runner cartoon, one of two, and one of 6 overall which had canned music during a musician strike in 1958. Listen closely and you'll hear that the music isn't matched to the action, and the music credit to John Seely is basically cues from the commonly-used (in sitcoms) Capitol Library. (Many cues in this one are commonly heard on Dennis the Menace.) Carl Stalling, we miss ya in this one!

Super Snooper is another toon that was banned by CN. Look closely and see if you can figure out why. One of a few cartoons from the early 50s that was not reissued as a Blue Ribbon print, and therefore has the original titles (complete with Daffy's image in the Looney Tune opening ring). This toon has Daffy as a private eye.

Last edited by stevea; 01-11-2021 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:06 PM   #22
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Wed Jan. 13:

RABBIT FIRE (1951), JERRY'S DIARY, DROOPY'S DOUBLE TROUBLE, GOPHER SPINACH, ROADRUNNER A GO-GO

Warners:

Rabbit Fire -- the first of the Wabbit Season/Duck Season Chuck Jones trilogy. All three are great. Only this one was Blue Ribbon reissued, and therefore unfortunately does not have the original Looney Tunes titles.

Roadrunner A Go-Go - this was an excerpt from the half-hour 1962 production called Adventures of the Road Runner, a full-length unsold pilot for another prime-time WB cartoon which was eventually run in the theaters. The other excerpt from this special was named Zip Zip Hooray. Both excerpts were never released to theaters and were only shown on TV.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:14 PM   #23
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan. 14:

THUMB FUN (1952), ROCK-N-RODENT, WE AIM TO PLEASE, WHAT'S OPERA DOC (1957), ALL FOWLED UP (1955)

Warners:

Thumb Fun - Porky and Daffy, funny toon--another early 50s Looney Tune where the original titles were replaced by the Blue Ribbon reissue titles.

All Fowled Up - fun with Foghorn Leghorn

What's Opera Doc - a classic Bugs and Elmer. One of the most expensive WBs ever produced. Must-see for any toon fan.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:22 PM   #24
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Case of The Stuttering Pig, was my favorite LT last Saturday. Having the villain break the fourth wall by addressing the theater audience was a neat twist. Right now, it appears they are showcasing toons from each decade of the golden era.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:22 PM   #25
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Fri Jan.15:

LITTLE RED RIDING RABBIT, DUEL PERSONALITY, THE SPINACH ROADSTER, HOPALONG CASUALTY (1960), ONE FROGGY EVENING (1955)

Warners:

Little Red Riding Rabbit (1944) - nice to see MeTV dipping back into the 1940s Bugs.

Hopalong Casualty - a later Chuck Jones Road Runner toon.

One Froggy Evening - a misc. Merrie Melody cartoon--as stated in print, one of the most celebrated films in animation history. Really, a Chuck Jones masterpiece.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:24 PM   #26
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Knox View Post
Case of The Stuttering Pig, was my favorite LT last Saturday. Having the villain break the fourth wall by addressing the theater audience was a neat twist. Right now, it appears they are showcasing toons from each decade of the golden era.
Yes, it was. Probably scared some kids at the end. Although I'm not a fan of the bw's, it's great to see them restored to original, rather than those wretched colorized versions from years ago.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:44 PM   #27
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Fri Jan.15:

LITTLE RED RIDING RABBIT, DUEL PERSONALITY, THE SPINACH ROADSTER, HOPALONG CASUALTY (1960), ONE FROGGY EVENING (1955)

Warners:

Little Red Riding Rabbit (1944) - nice to see MeTV dipping back into the 1940s Bugs.

Hopalong Casualty - a later Chuck Jones Road Runner toon.

One Froggy Evening - a misc. Merrie Melody cartoon--as stated in print, one of the most celebrated films in animation history. Really, a Chuck Jones masterpiece.
Little Red Riding Rabbit, is another one that adds a nice twist to the typical LT's ending.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:47 PM   #28
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Sat Jan. 16 -- Bugs Bunny and Friends

BEWITCHED BUNNY (1954), BINGO CROSBYANA, HAWAIIAN AYE AYE (1964), A BROKEN LEGHORN, ZIPPING ALONG (1953), BIG TOP BUNNY (1951)

Bewitched Bunny - first appearance of Witch Hazel, another Bugs enemy

Bingo -- they went way back for this one--1936. Maybe bw, never saw this one... [Update - checking on a Blue Ribbon reissue list, this one isn't on it--so, it's an original issue. It's a Merrie Melody--none of those were in black and white] [Update 2: They subbed My Favorite Duck]

Hawaiian Aye Aye -- one of the last toons from Warners (before they were infamously contracted out), this is probably the last Tweety toon.

A Broken Leghorn - a late 50s (1959) Foggy, loaded with funny gags [Update - I think this has some "unacceptable" dialog -- I'll be watching for an edit!] [Update 2: they left the "bad" dialog in--I ain't sayin' what it is 'cause they'll take it out!]

Zipping Along - another funny early 50s Road Runner

Big Top Bunny - an early 50s, ho hum Bugs, inexplicably reissued as Blue Ribbon. Most of the "hard edged" Bugs from McKimson in the late 40s/early 50s were a little sub-par, IMO

Last edited by stevea; 01-16-2021 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added info.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:30 AM   #29
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Tomorrow:

WACKY WABBIT, HOOK, LINE AND STINKER (1958), SUPER SNOOPER (1952), LUMBERJACK AND JILL, CANNED FEUD (1951)

Warners:

Super Snooper is another toon that was banned by CN. Look closely and see if you can figure out why.
Oh, yes, the cig. Daffy had. Can't have that on CN!
Old 01-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #30
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Tomorrow:

Warners:

First one is probably Wackiki Wabbit (1943), Bugs Bunny.

Hook, Line, and Stinker is a Road Runner cartoon, one of two, and one of 6 overall which had canned music during a musician strike in 1958. Listen closely and you'll hear that the music isn't matched to the action, and the music credit to John Seely is basically cues from the commonly-used (in sitcoms) Capitol Library. (Many cues in this one are commonly heard on Dennis the Menace.) Carl Stalling, we miss ya in this one!

Super Snooper is another toon that was banned by CN. Look closely and see if you can figure out why. One of a few cartoons from the early 50s that was not reissued as a Blue Ribbon print, and therefore has the original titles (complete with Daffy's image in the Looney Tune opening ring). This toon has Daffy as a private eye.
Update: Canned Feud -- (I'm impressed!) This was a Blue Ribbon reissued cartoon but Warners found an original copy, which is on Platinum Collection. MeTV must have mastered their copy from that. (Wish I had been rolling the DVD recorder!)