Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > Mom

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Schedules Peyton Manning Game Show; Apple TV+ Comedy Mythic Quest Returns in May
The Price Is Right at Night Welcomes Two Funny Celebs; Peacock Comedy Girls5eva Premieres May 6
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 12, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Nash Bridges Reprisal in the Works?; Season Finale Dates Set for Last Man Standing and MacGyver
Fri-Yay: Fox Cancels Bless the Harts, Leaving Questions About Animated Block; Variety and Lifetime Presents Power of Women Comedians
ABC Summer 2021 Schedule; Fox Summer 2021 Schedule
MeTV Spring 2021 with The Addams Family and The Pink Panther; Fox Orders More Duncanville, While ABC Goes Into the Wild with Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-April)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 09-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #1
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Default Anna Faris Leaves Mom

What on Earth happened to make her leave?

Quote:
Mom Shocker: Anna Faris Exiting Popular Sitcom Ahead of Season 8

CBS’ Mom will be down a leading lady when it returns for Season 8: Anna Faris is leaving the sitcom after seven years as Christy, TVLine has learned.

Though Faris is exiting the series to pursue other opportunities, a rep for Warner Bros. Television confirms that Christy will not be recast. Rather, the character’s absence will be addressed in a Season 8 storyline.

“The past seven years on Mom have been some of the most fulfilling and rewarding of my career,” Faris said in a statement. “I’m so thankful to Chuck [Lorre], the writers, and my amazing castmates for creating a truly wonderful work experience. While my journey as Christy has come to an end, allowing me to pursue new opportunities, I’ll be watching next season and rooting for my TV family.”

WBTV, CBS and Chuck Lorre Productions offered their own joint statement on Faris’ departure: “From the inception of Mom, Anna was the first and only choice for the role of Christy. We are so proud of the stories we have been able to tell during Anna’s seven years with us. We wish Anna all the best, and we thank her for her beautiful portrayal.”

Since its debut in 2013, Mom has centered on Faris’ character, a newly sober single mom trying to raise her kids and navigate a relationship with her own mother (Allison Janney), also a recovering addict. The cast also includes Mimi Kennedy, Jaime Pressly, Beth Hall, William Fichtner and Kristen Johnston.

Mom is slated to begin Season 8 production on Monday, Sept. 14, with an eye on a November return date. (See CBS’ full fall lineup here.) The show is currently CBS’ No. 3-rated sitcom, behind Young Sheldon and The Neighborhood.
Anna Leaves Mom Ahead of Season 8

Last edited by Christopher; 09-04-2020 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Added Article
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
Christopher
Forum Veteran

I'm surprise she's able to leave when she just signed a two year contract a year ago. She also got a raise. Well season 8 will most likely be the last season of Mom. The show will not be the same without her.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
Greenbeans
Frequent Poster

Likely Fired. No-one walks away from that contract willingly.
Greenbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Well they screwed up the show if she was fired. The least Anna and the show can do is give the character closure than just talk about the character being absent next season. Fans invested 7 years into this show. There needs to be closure between her and the other girls.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:44 PM   #5
Duster76
Forum Regular

At the risk of being accused of being master of the obvious there is more here than meets the eye. A star of a TV series doesn't just walk in two weeks before production is about to start on a new TV season and announce her decision to quit the series immediately. With that, it's all love and kisses between the star, the network and the production company with the decision. It goes without saying money is involved, I'll venture a guess, production costs needed to be cut and Anna was unwilling to take the salary decrease. We'll see, as they say in the news business, more to follow.
Duster76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #6
Lorimar Television

This really sucks, Christy is such a great char. I hope they do her character justice
Old 09-05-2020, 01:29 AM   #7
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Veteran

What?! OMG.

Christy is the show.

It'd be like doing Laverne and Shirley without Shirley.
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:34 AM   #8
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Location: SEA, Napa, Lanford, NY | BOS, Cord d'Cours, Stars Hollow, Sunnydale | Twin Peaks, BAL, Deadwood, Dillon, KY

Nnnnnooooooooooo
Twin Peaks, The Wire, Deadwood, Justified, Battlestar Galactica, The X-Files
-
Frasier Crane, Niles Crane, Martin Crane, Dale Cooper, Fox Mulder
Christy Plunkett, Ally McBeal, Buffy Summers, Rory Gilmore, Roseanne Conner
-
David E. Kelley, David Milch, Amy Sherman, Bryan Fuller, Steven Bochco
principehomura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #9
Schmo
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster76 View Post
At the risk of being accused of being master of the obvious there is more here than meets the eye. A star of a TV series doesn't just walk in two weeks before production is about to start on a new TV season and announce her decision to quit the series immediately. With that, it's all love and kisses between the star, the network and the production company with the decision. It goes without saying money is involved, I'll venture a guess, production costs needed to be cut and Anna was unwilling to take the salary decrease. We'll see, as they say in the news business, more to follow.
Iím sure all the cast members signed NDAs when they were hired so all we will have to go on is gossip.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:51 PM   #10
The Obsolete Man
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
What?! OMG.

Christy is the show.

It'd be like doing Laverne and Shirley without Shirley.
So... season 8, when Shirley left after episode 2?

That was the exact comparison I made when I saw this news... this will be the Shirley-less season 8 of Laverne and Shirley, and that'll be the end.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:03 AM   #11
RetroGuy2000
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Obsolete Man View Post
So... season 8, when Shirley left after episode 2?

That was the exact comparison I made when I saw this news... this will be the Shirley-less season 8 of Laverne and Shirley, and that'll be the end.
Yeah, that final L&S season sucked. Badly.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:00 AM   #12
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Location: SEA, Napa, Lanford, NY | BOS, Cord d'Cours, Stars Hollow, Sunnydale | Twin Peaks, BAL, Deadwood, Dillon, KY

I just hope that this has nothing to do with health issues.
principehomura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:01 AM   #13
RetroGuy2000
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by principehomura View Post
I just hope that this has nothing to do with health issues.
Same. She's wonderful and talented and amazing, and I cannot imagine the show without her.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:17 AM   #14
Christopher
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
Yeah, that final L&S season sucked. Badly.
The difference between Mom and L&S is that Mom is an ensemble cast show where L&S was a duo cast show. There's still other main characters the show can bring into the front burner to ease the lost of Christy with Mom. L&S didn't have that. Penny had to carry the weight of the show. Allison will at least have the other four actresses of Mom to help her.

My only hope is that Anna will come back at some point this season to give the character a proper ending.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #15
Schmo
Forum Regular

According to Wikipedia, Anna is 43. Was she playing a younger character? I never watched the show.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote