Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > Mom

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Schedules Peyton Manning Game Show; Apple TV+ Comedy Mythic Quest Returns in May
The Price Is Right at Night Welcomes Two Funny Celebs; Peacock Comedy Girls5eva Premieres May 6
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of April 12, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Nash Bridges Reprisal in the Works?; Season Finale Dates Set for Last Man Standing and MacGyver
Fri-Yay: Fox Cancels Bless the Harts, Leaving Questions About Animated Block; Variety and Lifetime Presents Power of Women Comedians
ABC Summer 2021 Schedule; Fox Summer 2021 Schedule
MeTV Spring 2021 with The Addams Family and The Pink Panther; Fox Orders More Duncanville, While ABC Goes Into the Wild with Comedy

New on DVD/Blu-ray (January-April)

Corporate - Season 2 Fam - The Complete Series Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series

01/22 - Corporate - Season 2
01/22 - Corporate - Season 3
02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series

More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-01-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Chocolate Moose

Default I think this is my favorite sitcom!

The characters and story are just so funny! And not zany, insult-my-intelligence funny; it's seriously real life funny!

There is so much fake crap on TV - who agrees with me that Mom is great!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #2
AB
Resident Alien - Harry & Asta
Forum Legend

Our family likes it too. Bonnie is just so funny.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #3
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

I just got into this show this past week and watched the first four seasons on Hulu. They don't have season five up yet (I know it's not finished but I assumed they'd post each new episode as they air). Amazon Video has it but you have to pay 30 bucks for the season and I'm not sure I want to spend that much just yet.

However, I really loved the first season because of the family as well as Luke and Baxter. But by the end of the fourth season, the focus had shifted to Bonnie and Christy's group of friends from AA. So after I finished the season four finale, I went back to the pilot and had totally forgotten that Marjorie wasn't on the show in the beginning, which felt strange because she became such an important character as the series developed.

It took me a while to warm up to French Stewart's Chef Rudy, but I got to like him. Same for Gabriel. I pretty much like all the characters (and miss the ones who didn't appear too often in the later seasons) and look forward to watching more episodes and see how long it runs for.
Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #4
Chocolate Moose

Yes, the characters really have changed. I don't think the kids were on this season at all yet.

$30 is too much for the season. It's a cute show but that's unnecessary. Have you checked dvds at your local library?
Chocolate Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Moose
Yes, the characters really have changed. I don't think the kids were on this season at all yet.

$30 is too much for the season. It's a cute show but that's unnecessary. Have you checked dvds at your local library?
It's funny that when the show kinda phased out the family aspect, I really miss them (especially Violet, I like the three generations of Plunkett women) but then when I went back to the beginning, I really missed the characters of Marjorie, Jill and Wendy. So this is just one of those shows that I like all the characters and the cast changes don't hurt the series at all. It's actually improved it even though the show didn't really need improvement. Kind of like how Taxi took out John Burns and added "Reverend Jim" Ignatowski, which made the show so much better and yet the first season (with John Burns instead of Jim) was a great season or how Parks & Recreation added Rob Lowe and Adam Scott. The show was already really good but the addition of those two actors elevated the show so much, that it's hard to picture the show without those two. Now I'm just rambling, lol.

I will eventually buy the first four seasons on DVD because if I love a show, I gotta own the DVD (even though I can just watch it on Hulu). As for season five, I'll just have to wait until it comes to either Hulu or DVD. I could join the CBS official website for a free trial week and watch all the episodes from that season there.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
Chocolate Moose

Ramble all you like. I am enjoying this.
Chocolate Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Location: SEA, Napa, Lanford, NY | BOS, Cord d'Cours, Stars Hollow, Sunnydale | Twin Peaks, BAL, Deadwood, Dillon, KY

I've just finished the first season and I'm really impressed.
It is a really great sitcom, the only one of the last 15 years up to the golden standards held by the genre until the first half of 2000's, when many classics ended.

Its comedy tone is updated to the current standard: dark humour, sexual references, vulgarity, usually things that nowadays I don't like, because just there to please the cynics. They avoided silly catch-phrases, trying to make you laugh in a new way everytime, and finally we are spared the pop-culture refeences. But the real difference is that here the authors put in the mix a great amount of heart and drama, basically making Mom the modern edition of Roseanne. It is a perfect balance of comedy, heart and drama, and a rendition of joys and troubles of living today, proving that the genre at its most powerful is more brilliant and sophisticated than any satire.

There's also a perfect balance of the different dynamics and setting that a sitcom can have, being equally focused on family, friends and work, and it excels especially in the first two.
The cast is brilliant. Allison Janney gets all the praises, as the actor portraying the quirkiest character always gets, but also Anna Faris is huge, and to me she's the one carrying the show. She switches from fun and laughters to depair and tears with extreme naturalness, always making you feel.
Also the rest of the cast is making a great job.

How it's slipped under my radar over these years is a mystery, but I'm glad I fianlly catch up.
Twin Peaks, The Wire, Deadwood, Justified, Battlestar Galactica, The X-Files
-
Frasier Crane, Niles Crane, Martin Crane, Dale Cooper, Fox Mulder
Christy Plunkett, Ally McBeal, Buffy Summers, Rory Gilmore, Roseanne Conner
-
David E. Kelley, David Milch, Amy Sherman, Bryan Fuller, Steven Bochco
principehomura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Location: SEA, Napa, Lanford, NY | BOS, Cord d'Cours, Stars Hollow, Sunnydale | Twin Peaks, BAL, Deadwood, Dillon, KY

Yesterday I've seen Episode 2x08.
Really powerful.

I didn't had hope anymore for current sitcom, but this one is truly big, it's an instant classic. How it switches so easily from fun to drama is unbeleievable and outstanding.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 AM   #9
Dale Key
Forum Regular

I see this show as a drama with a laugh track. It's never made me laugh, but I always enjoy it and I like the dramatic aspects a lot.

Niles: God is forgiving, Miss Fine. When I was a boy, I once took five shillings out of the collection plate at church for toffee.
Fran: And nothing happened to you, right?
Niles: That's right, absolutely nothing. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go wash other peoples' underwear.
Dale Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Major spoiler season 2

Spoiler: (Highlight this box to see the hidden message.)

Yesterday I've seen the two episodes concerning Alvin's death.
Whoa, totally didn't seen it coming... I would've never expected such a twist.
Oh my, this sitcom is pure gold, looks like I'm back in the 90s *_*
Old 07-09-2018, 03:47 PM   #11
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Mom
Season 2
4.5/5

The shows is slightly switching towards something else (especially in the second part of the season), with families dynamics mostly centered around Christy and Bonnie, while Violet and Roscoe seems to be slowly fading away.
It's the circle of AA's friends that gained screentime, and this is where the show seems to be headed from now on.
It's partially a pity, because it's the family environment that usually interests me in a sitcom, but the quality of the show isn't compromised: the balance between comedy and drama is still perfect, and this time there are some unexpected turns of event that literally shook me.

Mimi Kennedy is great on her role, her character is imposed without force, and her presence now is as important as Bonnie and Christy herself. It's one of the best example of characters that grew on the pens of the authors and became naturally part of a show.
Also Jamie Pressly and Beth Hall are two nice additions, both fit perfectly in the circle of friends. And to not forget Octavia Spencer, whose character has been slightly adjusted and added another something that was missing.

All of Christy's coworkers had less screentime: even if far from bad, they were the less convincing characters around, while the work environment has never been on the level of the rest. So on this side the show gained something.
Towards the second part of the season there has been less screentime for Violet and Roscoe, who seems to be left out from the authors at some point.
Roscoe has awlays been just a kid, nothing more than a support for characters and jokes: his presence coul become cumbersome. If not, at the moment it seems he'll held out graciously. Violet on the other hand has been a pillar of the show in the first season, but it seems the authors ran out of idea with her, after they were done with her storyline.

The show is following its own path; maybe it is a different journey from the one the authors initially intended, but it seems to be the right one.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:11 PM   #12
Adamantium
TVAdam No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by principehomura View Post
Mom
Season 2
4.5/5

The shows is slightly switching towards something else (especially in the second part of the season), with families dynamics mostly centered around Christy and Bonnie, while Violet and Roscoe seems to be slowly fading away.
It's the circle of AA's friends that gained screentime, and this is where the show seems to be headed from now on.
It's partially a pity, because it's the family environment that usually interests me in a sitcom, but the quality of the show isn't compromised: the balance between comedy and drama is still perfect, and this time there are some unexpected turns of event that literally shook me.

Mimi Kennedy is great on her role, her character is imposed without force, and her presence now is as important as Bonnie and Christy herself. It's one of the best example of characters that grew on the pens of the authors and became naturally part of a show.
Also Jamie Pressly and Beth Hall are two nice additions, both fit perfectly in the circle of friends. And to not forget Octavia Spencer, whose character has been slightly adjusted and added another something that was missing.

All of Christy's coworkers had less screentime: even if far from bad, they were the less convincing characters around, while the work environment has never been on the level of the rest. So on this side the show gained something.
Towards the second part of the season there has been less screentime for Violet and Roscoe, who seems to be left out from the authors at some point.
Roscoe has awlays been just a kid, nothing more than a support for characters and jokes: his presence coul become cumbersome. If not, at the moment it seems he'll held out graciously. Violet on the other hand has been a pillar of the show in the first season, but it seems the authors ran out of idea with her, after they were done with her storyline.

The show is following its own path; maybe it is a different journey from the one the authors initially intended, but it seems to be the right one.
I enjoy you reactions and reviews of this show as I just got into it myself some months ago. My sister spends the night at my house every Monday and I let her have control of the TV while she's here, and she always chose to watch "Mom", either on TV Land or Hulu. So I'd see bits and pieces and finally decided to sit down and watch them all from the beginning. I was surpised to see Luke get written out of the series so early on (season two). I figured he wasn't in the whole series but I thought he was around longer than that. He was like one of the family in season one and then just in a couple episodes of season two. As for the spoiler you mentioned above, I knew that one going in, so it didn't get to surprise me. Before I ever saw the show, I happened to read an post on this message board, which spoiled it for me. But even though the show goes through some changes, I don't feel it suffers at all. I enjoy this most recent season as much as I do the earlier ones.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #13
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Thanks Adamantium, I've enjoyed your posts too!
Especially when you said you like all the characters! I agree on that, and thinks that this is the true strength of Mom. There isn't a bad, insufferable, or boring character.

It took me too some time to get chef Rudy, but even if I don't particularly like him, I certainly don't hate him. Whereas for other sitcoms, there's always at least a character that makes me wanna turns to a different station.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:10 PM   #14
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Mom
Season 3
4.5/5

This season was less cohesive than the others, but nonetheless great.
It touched soo many plotlines and characters that it's difficult to keep track, but all were done in the way of the show: funny and heartwarming.
It hasn't lost its verve, even if it changed its course midway: it's still fresh and the authors managed to adapt their characters to the new idead and situations they come up with.
Especially with characters and cast the job done is incredible. Every added character perfectly fits in the setting, and every actors is perfectly cast. New additions in this season were no exception.
Again they managed to convey every possible emotions in a wide range of situations, and there were many memorable scenes. My favorite is the sing-along on the car trip to Canada, on the notes of Total Eclipse of the Heart. That was truly a classic sitcom moment.

The half star missing to the maximum vote is because of Violet, what a disappointmend she has been
And I'm surprised by how many episodes I've been watching. It has really been a lot since I've binge-watched a show this heavily.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
principehomura
80s/90s tv fan
Forum Regular

Mom
Season 4
4/5

The show definetely found its purpose and setting, and it's now totally concentrated on Christy, Bonnie and the circle of AA friends.
It's a pity that the family aspect is now missing, but the show keeps its heart and feelings, and that's the important thing. It's also kind of inspiring to see people who have made mistakes, bad choices and regretful things, trying to get over it and improve each day, with each other help.
And it took a lot of courage from the authors to talk about some awful things the way they did. Even dramas usually dodge the topic.

After Jill in this season, I hope they will focus more on Wendy and also Maria.