Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Chit Chat - Main Board / Games / Movies / Music / Sports / Politics

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Chit Chat

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: NBC Reportedly Wants to Reboot The Office; Remembering Norm Macdonald of The Norm Show/Norm
Comedy Central Fall 2021: Seinfeld Joins Lineup; Apple TV+ New Comedy Acapulco Premieres Oct. 8
Only Murders in the Building Renewed for Season 2; HBO Max's Love Life New Season Starts Oct. 28
Columbo 50th Anniversary Marathon on COZI TV; BET+ R-Rated Sitcom Renewed for Season 2
Anthony Anderson and Mama Doris Headlining Halloween on Discovery+; The Last O.G. Is Back Oct. 26
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 13, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fox Mulls Future of Animated Comedies; Saturday Night Live Season Premiere Date Set

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June-September)

Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release) Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
07/07 - No Activity - Season 2
07/13 - The Unicorn - Season 2
07/20 - Head of the Class - The Complete Third Season
07/27 - Family Ties - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - Hot in Cleveland - The Complete Series (2021 Release)
07/27 - The Neighborhood - Season Three
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Deluxe Edition (100 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/20 - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet - Standard Edition (50 Episodes) (Time Life)
08/24 - The Jim Gaffigan Show - Season 2
09/07 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
09/21 - I Dream of Jeannie - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
tiredmike59

Default Your first internet experience

Do you remember the first time you got a computer and started surfing the web ? My first time was about 2002-2003, I was slow getting a computer.
It was an old piece of junk that a friend of mine slapped together. I got one of those AOL free trials and started exploring. I didn't know squat about the rules,terms and do's and don't's. I joined a chat website where people posted jokes and shared stories. I submitted a joke and it said it would be posted shortly. Next thing I knew,I got an e-mail from the owner of the website saying he would not post my joke. It wasn't because the joke was offensive, He said They do not like people posting with all capital letters,That is considered shouting. I Thought to myself, " Well excuuuuuse me ". I always typed using capital letters, easier on the eyeballs. I noticed a guy across the street putting up a FOR SALE sign, I was thinking about going over there and telling him, " Stop shouting, you inconsiderate bass turd ".
tiredmike59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
Yooch
Forum 3K Club Member

It was, I'd say around 1997. Two people from IBM came to our school to conduct a workshop. They told us what a browser was (and the first time I'd ever heard the word Yahoo, or the term URL) Then we all went to a computer lab, and got to try out some basic searches. We had been using computer hardware for a decade and knew the terminology (mouse, monitor etc.), but only about two people on our entire staff at the time knew how to navigate the internet. (If you've ever seen the movie Fiddler on the Roof, the scene where the village gets its first sewing machine and everyone's gathered around it in amazement, it was kind of like that, only with a computer browser instead!). What is so common now, was obviously such a novelty then, in 1997
"The true meaning of America, you ask? It's in a Texas rodeo, in a policeman's badge, in the sound of laughing children, in a political rally, in a newspaper...In all these things and many more, you'll find freedom. And freedom is what America means to the world. And to me."
--Audie Leon Murphy
June 20, 1924--
May 28, 1971

Yooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
duckie

My first time on the internet was also around 2002. It wasnt my computer, it was my girlfriends and I had no idea what I was doing. lol I actually got my first computer in 2006.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #4
dakert
Forum 3K Club Member

My first time on the computer was in 1996 in college and we had to do some assignments on the internet. We got AOL in early 1997 when they had their19.99 monthly special and it was such a busy (dial up) mess we couldnt hardly get on for about 6 months.
dakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
HuntingtonM15
That Bothers Me
Forum Fanatic

I first got the internet in February of 1998, and like most, it was of course AOL. The first experiences I recall were in the chat rooms, such as the Nick at Nite/TVLand chat. Those were awesome chats, each night with a different moderator. Those were the days when Nick at Nite had worthwhile "Block Party Summer" marathons, and they would often be the topic of chats.
HuntingtonM15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
YoliUSA
Fan of the Classics
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to YoliUSA

The first time I used the internet was in 1998, when my family bought our first computer, a Compaq Presario. I remember meeting people and chatting with friends on ICQ, playing on Disney Blast, and discovering tons of new stuff online and learning a lot since I pretty much learned everything about computers by myself. I was just 10 years old back then, good times.

"Sometimes I just don't understand human behavior"- C-3PO

My DVD's
YoliUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
Penny Lane
Get Back Loretta!
Forum Celebrity

I got my first computer in 1999. After I learned how to use it my most frequent mistake was typing in the wrong address. I had a hard time getting used to typing without spaces between the words. When I started logging into web sites I was totally paranoid about giving out any info about myself. I was so sure that my identity would be stolen. It took me a long time to be comfortable online. My first ISP was Juno. Then I went to Earthlink. Then ATT. Then peoplepc. I am now using Comcast cable and I love it! I can't believe how slow dial-up was! Sitcoms Online was my first message board experience. That was in 2001.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
MrCleveland
Drew Carey from Hell
Forum Fanatic

Location: America...The Cleveland of the World...and I live in the butt which IS Cleveland!

My internet experience was 2000. I was on AOL at the time and it felt good to be on the internet.

Lee Hazlewood (1929-2007)
MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Legend

I think my parents got their first computer for the house around 1996. It was Windows 95.

Before we got our computer, I used to type my school assignments on a Word Processor. I was one of the few students who typed their assignments around 6th - 8th grade. Not many of my classmates had home computers or Word Processors around the mid - late 90s.

My first time on AOL was for the 3.0 around 1996. I used to be a big Instant Messenger.

It's random but I still remember the first celebrity death that I found out about through the internet. It was Chris Farley in December 1997.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Tweety
Forum Veteran

I guess it was around 1993 or so. Got a computer w/ AOL. Dial-up connection of course. Had to actually call a long-distance number to connect, at least for a couple of months before AOL added a local number we could call. But it was cool using email and finding cool websites. The company I worked for had instant-messaging within the company (a large local bank) so I got a little practice w/email prior to that.

That first computer had Windows 3.1 on it.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 PM   #11
ZeldaGilroy
Dobie and Zelda Forever!!!
Forum 4K Club Member

My first internet experience was in 1994 when I went to college. There was a computer lab that had internet and my roommate taught me how to use some chatrooms. I was intantly addicted.

I bought my first computer in 2000 and had the old AOL dial-up connection. One of the first sites I found was this one. Hard to believe that was so long ago!

"I always carry a spare wedding ring. A single girl never knows when lightning may strike." ~Zelda Gilroy
ZeldaGilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Brad Russ
Forum Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Brad Russ

My first internet experience?? Staring at pictures of Anna Kournikova for an unnaturally long amount of time. lol I did that on my dad's computer in the late 90's. The first thing I did when I got my own computer and internet in 2001 was visit last days ministries, which is the website of Melody Green, wife of late Christian singer Keith Green.
St. John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Currently my favorite song.
Brad Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
Torgo
Art by me
Forum Star

My first computer was a Texas Instrument back in '84 when TI stopped making computers, so all their computer became super cheap, so my parents bought one. My very first computer games were Hunt The Wumpus, Slymoids, and a Blackjack game. I also had a book of games that you programmed in.

I later moved up to a Commodore 64, which started by addiction to computer RPG's with games like Bard's Tale.

I then bought my first PC (Windows 3.1) in 1993...my first online experience was like most back then, AOL- the very first chat room I visited was for Highlander.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
PZelda
Two Valeries! <3
Forum Addict

My family has been online in some form for the past 20 years. We were the first family in my neighborhood to get a computer back in 1991. We had internet too - but not the internet everybody would become familiar with. We had Prodigy dialup, and my brother was the only one who really used Prodigy and their chatrooms.

As a fun aside - here's a Prodigy commercial, circa 1991. Raise your hand if you remember it. http://isp-services.com/videos/prodigy-commercial-1991/

Then that was it for a few years. We moved, then I think we finally got internet again at home around 1995. It was through a local service... Their dialup speed was actually pretty good for the mid/late 90s. Then in early 2001 is when I went high-speed, and I haven't been back since.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #15
The Flying Dutchmans

My 1st internet experience was in 1999. My 1st computer was a Gateway desktop. it was a Pentium 2-233 Megahertz computer with 32mb of RAM. It worked for the time. I had Microsoft Windows 95 in it and no USB. I got AOL free trial and joined the chatrooms right away. I thought it was so cool. I paid $250 for it, I got the tower, a 13 inch monitor, Keyboard, and mouse, and speakers. They even threw in a new printer. I went crazy trying to figure out how to use it. I finally got one of those dummy like manuals and began to understand how to work it. I sure miss it though.