Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

James Corden Gets Extended by CBS; Freeform's Halloween House Returns for 31 Nights of Halloween
Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #16
dawnfla6aa2
Frequent Poster

I'm curious to know whether the $250,000 was ever given to the family or donated like he said it would be in his interview?

His comment about if the police asked him nicely, he would turn over the shirt...whatever! If you're innocent they don't need to ask, you just give it to them.
dawnfla6aa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #17
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

Dawn, wasn't his whole smug attitude so annoying that you just wanted to slap his guilty smirking face right throught the tv!?

"All the police had to do was ask nicely, may I please have the shirt". Oh BS! That shirt was burned and the ashes discarded between midnight the night of the murder and dawn the next morning.

I read, I think in this thread but I will have to go back through and verify, that Joan's family was not able to obtain her life insurance money due to the fact that her murder is unsolved. I would assume that her obvious murderer, Smug Samir, would also have been barred from collecting on the policy he had taken out on her, due to the same conditions of the murder case still being open. Just guessing, and without all the facts....

I wonder if any of her life insurance policies would have been cashed (if she had any others) due to the status of the unsolved murder.

What if she had a personal $10,000 or $20,000 policy to cover her funeral expenses and any outstanding debts upon her death, so that her kids would not have to pay for those? And then she ends up being the victim of a 15 year unsolved murder, so those funds are in limbo.

I guess it would also depend on the clauses in those policies. I know there are some lawyers and folks who are knowledgeable in legal issues who visit here who could maybe explain such circumstances to us.

And I thought that I read that he had gone back to Asia. I have forgotten where. Maybe Pakistan? But if he is over there, it will be nearly impossible to drag his sorry murdering a$$ back to Texas so the state can properly inject this useless excuse of a human with all his special death chamber IV cocktail ingredients.
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #18
TracyLynnS
Don't Look Up

I've skimmed back over the posts in this thread.

I may be mistaken in my assumption that Smug Samir has fled the country and gone back to Asia. I don't know if I imagined that event or got my cases confused.

I've been doing a lot of true crime investigation online today since I've been kindof under the weather with a bad cold and spending my time curled up on the sofa with my laptop. Maybe my meds are making me goof up my facts? So sorry.

So.... That means this murderer could very well still be in the USA. Get him back to TX, and work on that huge $250,000 motive and that big old opportunity he had when he dined with her just minutes before her murder.

With those two necessary packages neatly documented, proving the means shouldn't take too much longer, even if they only assign one detective.

C'mon TEXAS, show us why you've got that "fast track to the death chamber" reputation!
TracyLynnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM   #19
crystaldawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyLynnS
Dawn, wasn't his whole smug attitude so annoying that you just wanted to slap his guilty smirking face right throught the tv!?
Absolutely!!!!
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #20
dawnfla6aa2
Frequent Poster

[QUOTE=TracyLynnS]Dawn, wasn't his whole smug attitude so annoying that you just wanted to slap his guilty smirking face right throught the tv!?

Yes! Yes! Yes! And when the girlfriend thinks things were off when he came to her place you know he's GUILTY!

Oh and..."I hadn't exercised in months"...but all of a sudden you decide to ride your bike around the cul-de-sac...give me a break!
dawnfla6aa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #21
Fletch
Justice for Russell
Forum Regular

I just watched it last night, and yeah - Sam Patel looks guilty as hell. It's not even close.
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #22
Victoria81
Forum Regular

So obvious that it was him!
Victoria81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #23
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Caught this on a rerun today on my DVR and was practically screaming at the television that Patel was guilty, guilty, guilty! But then I thought, wait a minute...what exactly is the motive here? Joan was insured for a half a million dollars, but wasn't this through the company? Unless Patel embezzled the money, how would he get his hands on it? And at the end of the segment, Patel says that he got together with the company's board of directors and they all agreed to either donate the money to charity or give it to Joan's family. And then I got to thinking about the claims that Joan wasn't getting paid for 7 months. Any person in their right mind would have left after 2-3 months of no paycheck. Why would Joan wait 7 months for some guy she barely knew outside of work and who her family claims she didn't trust? Makes no sense. Unless of course the claims were exaggerated, and Patel's version is the more correct one.

If the UM segment as presented is the truth, I find it hard to believe that the police did not try to charge Patel for a crime. The evidence should be there. Unless of course UM left out some information (shocker, they do this all the time) that would have helped clear Patel. For instance, they make no mention of any firearm ever being tied to Patel let alone the type of weapon used to murder Joan. They also never speak about the shirt that Patel was wearing on the night that Joan was killed, his ex-girlfriend (hardly an impartial witness) brings it up. And the ex-girlfriend makes no mention of Patel acting weird or shocked that night, outside of him having his shirt off and sweating. You would think she would have noticed some sort of change in his demeanor had he actually just murdered someone. They also say that the only part of Patel's story that changed was whether or not he was in Joan's car before. Now before someone starts to rip this theory to shreds, I am still about 80% convinced that Patel was responsible. But the more I thought about it, the more doubts came into my mind. The biggest reason is the lack of law enforcement trying to charge Patel with a crime. Seems like there's something missing that we don't know that would hold them back from charging him. I just can't think of a reason as to why Patel would want her dead, much less actually murder her himself.
TheCars1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #24
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
Caught this on a rerun today on my DVR and was practically screaming at the television that Patel was guilty, guilty, guilty! But then I thought, wait a minute...what exactly is the motive here? Joan was insured for a half a million dollars, but wasn't this through the company? Unless Patel embezzled the money, how would he get his hands on it? And at the end of the segment, Patel says that he got together with the company's board of directors and they all agreed to either donate the money to charity or give it to Joan's family. And then I got to thinking about the claims that Joan wasn't getting paid for 7 months. Any person in their right mind would have left after 2-3 months of no paycheck. Why would Joan wait 7 months for some guy she barely knew outside of work and who her family claims she didn't trust? Makes no sense. Unless of course the claims were exaggerated, and Patel's version is the more correct one.
I thought Patel owned the company. I would imagine it would relatively easy for him to get a hold of at least a piece of that payout.

It's been a long time since I've seen the segment, but I was also under the impression Joan was married. Perhaps her husband's income made up for the seven months of non-payment. By all accounts it was a small company and Joan did have a key position in that company, so perhaps she felt some personal responsibility to it. Not many people are willing to do it, but I've known at least one person who's forgone a paycheck for a period because he believed in his organization that much, and he eventually did receive all his back pay. So perhaps she was still hanging on.

Quote:
If the UM segment as presented is the truth, I find it hard to believe that the police did not try to charge Patel for a crime. The evidence should be there. Unless of course UM left out some information (shocker, they do this all the time) that would have helped clear Patel. For instance, they make no mention of any firearm ever being tied to Patel let alone the type of weapon used to murder Joan. They also never speak about the shirt that Patel was wearing on the night that Joan was killed, his ex-girlfriend (hardly an impartial witness) brings it up. And the ex-girlfriend makes no mention of Patel acting weird or shocked that night, outside of him having his shirt off and sweating. You would think she would have noticed some sort of change in his demeanor had he actually just murdered someone. They also say that the only part of Patel's story that changed was whether or not he was in Joan's car before. Now before someone starts to rip this theory to shreds, I am still about 80% convinced that Patel was responsible. But the more I thought about it, the more doubts came into my mind. The biggest reason is the lack of law enforcement trying to charge Patel with a crime. Seems like there's something missing that we don't know that would hold them back from charging him. I just can't think of a reason as to why Patel would want her dead, much less actually murder her himself.
I agree this one is weird and I think a lot of pieces are probably missing.

Go Vols!
MegtheEgg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #25
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
It's been a long time since I've seen the segment, but I was also under the impression Joan was married. Perhaps her husband's income made up for the seven months of non-payment. By all accounts it was a small company and Joan did have a key position in that company, so perhaps she felt some personal responsibility to it. Not many people are willing to do it, but I've known at least one person who's forgone a paycheck for a period because he believed in his organization that much, and he eventually did receive all his back pay. So perhaps she was still hanging on.
It seemed like in the reenactment that Joan lived on her own. Oddly, there were several boxes shown in her living room area in the reenactment. I don't know if UM was implying that she was moving or if the boxes were work related. According to Joan's children, she was nothing more than a secretary and that she also did not trust Sam Patel. Just seems odd to me that she would be willing to stay with a company ran by someone who for one owed her 7 months in back pay and also someone whom she did not trust.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #26
MegtheEgg86

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCars1986
It seemed like in the reenactment that Joan lived on her own. Oddly, there were several boxes shown in her living room area in the reenactment. I don't know if UM was implying that she was moving or if the boxes were work related. According to Joan's children, she was nothing more than a secretary and that she also did not trust Sam Patel. Just seems odd to me that she would be willing to stay with a company ran by someone who for one owed her 7 months in back pay and also someone whom she did not trust.
Secretaries ARE key employees, especially in small companies. There is no such thing as being "just" a secretary.

She also helped Patel build the company, so at one point, there was trust there.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #27
TheCars1986
Proud Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegtheEgg86
Secretaries ARE key employees, especially in small companies. There is no such thing as being "just" a secretary.

She also helped Patel build the company, so at one point, there was trust there.
I was going off of what Joan's own son said in the segment. He said his mother was a secretary and not a key point employee, and didn't understand why the large life insurance amount was taken out on her. Which is weird because she was on the board of directors, and in the reenactment Patel says he wanted to use Joan as a PR person for meetings that they had with the investors. Which makes his account of their business relationship seem more credible, and that the large life insurance amount makes sense.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #28
wiseguy182

I finally got around to re-watching this one. What an ass Sam Patel is. Not paying her for 7 months, trying to talk Joan out of wanting to quit, dragging out the whole issue, then killing her. It wasn't enough he made her last 7 months on Earth miserable, then he had to go and do that. What a jerk, I hope cold case investigators are able to pin this on him someday.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:08 AM   #29
wiseguy182

Okay, is Sam Patel the new Tim McClure? First he offers this statement: "I had no reason to kill Joan. No reason whatsoever." Um, yeah you did, several in fact: 1) you owe her money, 2) you have a life insurance policy on her, and 3) she could have exposed you as a fraud. There's 3 reasons right there.

Then he offers this: "Joan never approached me and said that she wanted to leave the business." and in the very next sentence he says "There was a time when she said 'Hey look, this isn't working out and I don't like it'" which is completely the opposite of what he just said.

And why on Earth would Sam bring a check, only to want to go out and copy it? It defeats the purpose of his first trip to Joan's house and is essentially a wasted move. I used to write checks at one of my old workplaces, and it seems like any good business would have gotten the kind of checks that have carbon copies so there's already a built-in copy on file.

And personally, I found all of his talk about there being "an investor group" and "Board of Directors" to be completely bogus. It doesn't seem the company ever amounted to much more than himself, Joan and maybe one other employee, as far as I can tell.
wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #30
MegtheEgg86

What gets me is that Patel had her insured for $250,000. That seems like an extraordinary amount of money to insure someone working for a tiny start-up that apparently can't even pay its employees. He had the motive and he had the opportunity.