Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

It's Garry Shandling's Show links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / It's Garry Shandling's Show Photo Gallery

It's Garry Shandling's Show - The Complete Series

Buy It's Garry Shandling's Show - The Complete Series on DVD
It's Garry Shandling's Show - The Complete First Season

Buy It's Garry Shandling's Show - The Complete First Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1980s Sitcoms > It's Garry Shandling's Show

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Silicon Valley Returns for Final Season; Netflix Gears Up for Elvis Animated Comedy
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of August 19, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Paley Center to Honor TV Legends; NBC Developing St. Elmo's Fire TV Series
Fri-Yay: Fall Sitcom Slate Check-In: CBS; E! Gets Reality Sitcom Meet the Frasers
Comedy Central Gets Phoebe Robinson Series; Crank Yankers Returns for 5th Season
Fox to Air Holiday Comedy Series; CBS and Viacom to Combine
The Flintstones Coming to MeTV in Fall 2019; Lifetime Tackles The College Admissions Scandal

New on DVD/Blu-ray (June/July/August)

The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est TV & Movie Collection Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six

06/04 - The Brady Bunch - 50th Anniversary The Brady-est Brady Bunch TV & Movie Collection
06/18 - Will & Grace (The Revival) - Season Two (Blu-ray)
07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
Vahan

Default Rest in Peace Garry Shandling

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/garr...ow-1201738601/

He died at an L.A. hospital on Thursday, according to the outlet. A cause of death has not been released. He was not known to be suffering from any illnesses, and just a few days ago retweeted Kathy Griffin’s photo of himself, her and Bob Odenkirk.

Born in Chicago, he was raised in Tucson, Arizona, and started out majoring in electrical engineering before completing a marketing degree at the University of Arizona. After moving to Los Angeles, he sold a script for “Sanford and Son” and also wrote for “Welcome Back, Kotter.” He guest-hosted “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” and was in consideration to become Carson’s replacement.

In 1986, he created his own sitcom “It’s Garry Shandling’s Show” for Showtime. The show was nominated for four Emmys, and ran until 1990. The show was noted for being one that often broke the fourth wall, with Shandling speaking directly to the audience, and he played a version of himself: a stand-up comedian aware of the fact that he is a sitcom character.

His second show came with “The Larry Sanders Show” on HBO, which ran from 1992 to 1998. He starred and co-created the comedy, set in the office of a fictional late-night talk show, with Dennis Klein. Shandling was nominated for 18 Emmys for the show and, along with Peter Tolan, won an Emmy for the series finale.

“The Larry Sanders Show” was said to have a lasting impact on comedy at HBO, influencing such series as “Curb Your Enthusiasm.” It cracked several “best of” lists, including Time’s 100 Best TV Shows of All Time.

NBC offered him $5 million to take over “Late Night” when David Letterman moved to CBS in 1993, but he declined. He was also offered “The Late Late Show” but declined to do the “Larry Sanders Show.”

He was also a formidable host, hosting for both the Grammys and Emmy Awards several times.

He appeared in and did voices for films including “Iron Man 2,” “Captain America: The Winter Soldier,” “Dr. Dolittle,” “Zoolander” and “Over the Hedge.”

Last edited by Vahan; 03-24-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Vahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #2
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

I just saw it on the news

Edit- you must fix the name spelling in the title

Last edited by opus; 03-24-2016 at 05:29 PM.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 06:02 PM   #3
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

I just am in shock. Was not expecting this.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
Chocolate Moose

Agreed. Too soon.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
Torgo
I wanna go back
Forum Veteran

It's Garry Shandling's Show was one of the shows I never missed when it was on. The Larry Sanders Show was also another classic.

"I am the literary equivalent of a Big Mac and Fries." - Stephen King

"There's nothing wrong with G-rated movies, as long as there's lots of sex and violence." - Elvira
Torgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #6
Bonniegirl
AKA Hazel Horvath
Forum Celebrity

I didn't really know of him very well ,but sad to hear of his passing!! Another one that was too young!!!

RIP Garry
Bonniegirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #7
opus
VB
Forum Veteran

Location: New York; but ideally Apt. 402 in Indy (for 8 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo
It's Garry Shandling's Show was one of the shows I never missed when it was on. The Larry Sanders Show was also another classic.
Both true statements here too.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity

Rest in peace.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #9
Edison

He was a great fourth wall-breaker. Right up there with George Burns.
Edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:28 AM   #10
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Default Garry Shandling is the father of Cringeworthy TV

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-cringeworthy/

The Office, Veep, 30 Rock, Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Comeback all owe a debt to Shandling. As Hank Stuever notes, thanks to Shandling, “what had at first seemed an acquired taste became a second language. Now it seems everyone has an innate sense for the cringeworthy, not just comedians. We all sometimes act as if we’ve 'gone meta,' speaking to mockumentary cameras that aren’t really there, continuously breaking the fourth wall of life, narrating the strange and awkward details of our private and public encounters. Though we didn’t see much of him in his final years, you could sense and hear a little bit of Shandling everywhere – not just on TV but in the monologues that flow when you simply ask a spouse or a friend: How was your day?” PLUS: Shandling was like a female comic, these 10 shows wouldn’t exist without Larry Sanders, Shandling kvetched about his performance during a 1995 Larry Sanders taping, the Seinfelds spent Thursday "crying/laughing/crying” recalling Jerry’s day filming Comedians in Cars with Shandling, Showtime to re-air Shandling’s Inside Comedy and Green Room episodes, Shandling had an early version of Larry Sanders in 1984, listen to Shandling’s 2011 WTF interview with Marc Maron, Larry Sanders is one of those shows you have seen without actually watching it, and the real genius of Larry Sanders was getting celebrities to play unflattering versions of themselves.
TMC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:27 AM   #11
Schmoopie
Future Oregonian
Forum Veteran

His passing was an absolute shock. I thought he was so hilarious!

September 23, 1961-January 14, 2019

Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote