Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Spin-offs and One-Year Wonders

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 11, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Fresh Off the Boat Coming to an End; Weeds Sequel in the Works
Fri-Yay: Thoughts on Netflix's Living with Yourself; ABC Orders More Episodes of American Housewife and Bless This Mess
COZI TV's Thanksgiving Weekend Unexpected Guests Marathon; MeTV Salutes Veteran's Day with M*A*S*H
Live in Front of a Studio Audience: All in the Family & Good Times on Dec. 18; NBC Orders More Superstore Episodes

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 05-23-2002, 07:04 PM   #1
redrooster
First Time Poster

Question Lotsa Luck

Does anyone remember this one-season gem from the early 70's? It was my favorite show when I was in sixth grade! All these years later I could still remember the theme song and was blown away when I found it archived on this website. Dom Deluise played a Ralph Kramden-like bus driver in New York, but this was not a "Honeymooners" rip off. Great supporting cast, too. I'm not sure this series even aired for a full run; I'd sure love to see it again, very funny stuff! Anyone else?
redrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
tvjunkie2003
Occasional Poster

I was a big lotsa luck fan. I was a 4th grader when it aired. I remember a bit where the character that played dom deluise's mother would say: "are you my son, or are you not my son?" and dom would reply: "i am your son mom". I remember it being a fun show to watch with my family.
tvjunkie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
TJ
Owner
Administrator

Lotsa Luck - The Complete Series will be available on DVD on November 29th.

Dom DeLuise stars as Stanley Belmont in his first major TV role in the hilarious 1973 sitcom "Lotsa Luck". Stanley's job as custodian at the New York City bus company's lost-and-found department was tough enough, but the real comedy took place once he got home each night. America loved watching the easily-annoyed Stanley as he bumbled his way through one problem after the other, with his bossy mother (Kathleen Freeman), goofy sister (Beverly Sanders) and her unemployed husband (Wynn Irwin), all under one roof! Making ends meet without making everyone crazy was always a struggle, but together with his best friend "Bummy Pfitzer" (Jack Knight), Stanley always succeeded in getting the laughs and giving America some of its zaniest sitcom moments. Look for cameo appearances by the likes of Suzanne Somers, Harold Gould and Ruth Buzzi in these classic "Lotsa Luck" episodes, especially compiled to bring back loads of memories and lotsa laughs!

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/lotsaluckdvdreview.html
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 08:12 AM   #4
tv star collector
I Love Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
Does anyone remember this one-season gem from the early 70's? It was my favorite show when I was in sixth grade! All these years later I could still remember the theme song and was blown away when I found it archived on this website. Dom Deluise played a Ralph Kramden-like bus driver in New York, but this was not a "Honeymooners" rip off. Great supporting cast, too. I'm not sure this series even aired for a full run; I'd sure love to see it again, very funny stuff! Anyone else?
Yes, I remember LOTSA LUCK. The series ran for one season. It debuted on
NBC, in September 1973, on Monday nights. Then in January, the network
moved it to Fridays, following SANFORD & SON. I thought it was pretty funny. I made an audio cassette of the show, in 1973; and it lasted for many years. But it finally wore out (as tapes often do). Dom DeLuise was a former regular on THE DEAN MARTIN SHOW and later appeared in other series, movies and did some voiceover work in cartoons. Kathleen Freeman (who played Stan's
mother) had appeared in several Jerry Lewis films and such TV series as TOPPER.
tv star collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
sbeamish
Forum Regular

I remember really enjoying this show. I must have been a freshman in high school, when it debuted.

Haven't seen it since it went off the air, and I've never played the theme song online. Let's see how well I recall the theme:

"Oh, I used to buy a pickle.
It only used to cost a nickel.
A bus ride only used to cost a dime...

Those days can be forgotten.
The world has gotten rotten.
Lotsa luck. Lotsa luck. Lotsa luck...."

I know there's more, but that's all I can remember.
sbeamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
Lotsa Luck - The Complete Series will be available on DVD on November 29th.

Dom DeLuise stars as Stanley Belmont in his first major TV role in the hilarious 1973 sitcom "Lotsa Luck". Stanley's job as custodian at the New York City bus company's lost-and-found department was tough enough, but the real comedy took place once he got home each night. America loved watching the easily-annoyed Stanley as he bumbled his way through one problem after the other, with his bossy mother (Kathleen Freeman), goofy sister (Beverly Sanders) and her unemployed husband (Wynn Irwin), all under one roof! Making ends meet without making everyone crazy was always a struggle, but together with his best friend "Bummy Pfitzer" (Jack Knight), Stanley always succeeded in getting the laughs and giving America some of its zaniest sitcom moments. Look for cameo appearances by the likes of Suzanne Somers, Harold Gould and Ruth Buzzi in these classic "Lotsa Luck" episodes, especially compiled to bring back loads of memories and lotsa laughs!

Read our review here:
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/lotsaluckdvdreview.html

Who in the hell will buy this show?-lol Everything is being released on DVD
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #7
seventies_sitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroTVCollector
Everything except One Day at a Time!
seventies_sitcoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:23 AM   #8
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

and the remaining seasons of "Barney Miller"

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:48 AM   #9
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

AH YES!!! I remember that HILARIOUS show on NBC when I was all of 16 years young (and still had all my hair).

I remember Stanley (Dom DeLuise) used to hate his lazy, shiftless brother-in-law, because he never had a job, and would never even LOOK for work. He would just walk around in his bathrobe all day. Every time Stanley or someone would bring up the subject of him looking for work, he and his wife would say he can't, because he was still recovering from his operation-whis was, something like-10 YEARS AGO!!!

Anyway, I remember one scene where Stanley was on the phone with his mother, and she told him the bathtub was broken. She said his brother-in-law (I forget his name) looked at it, but couldn't do anything, and Stanley said "Ma, I told you before to never let (whatever his name was) near the bathtub. He doesn't know how to use it!"
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
tv star collector
I Love Susie

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky
AH YES!!! I remember that HILARIOUS show on NBC when I was all of 16 years young (and still had all my hair).

I remember Stanley (Dom DeLuise) used to hate his lazy, shiftless brother-in-law, because he never had a job, and would never even LOOK for work. He would just walk around in his bathrobe all day. Every time Stanley or someone would bring up the subject of him looking for work, he and his wife would say he can't, because he was still recovering from his operation-whis was, something like-10 YEARS AGO!!!

Anyway, I remember one scene where Stanley was on the phone with his mother, and she told him the bathtub was broken. She said his brother-in-law (I forget his name) looked at it, but couldn't do anything, and Stanley said "Ma, I told you before to never let (whatever his name was) near the bathtub. He doesn't know how to use it!"
One of my favorite episodes was the one in which Stanley actually helped his
brother-in-law, Arthur, get a job--as a sniffer of fancy colognes. Olive (Stan's sister and Arthur's wife) said he'd be perfect because he had a keen sense of smell.
OLIVE: ... He can tell a person's nationality just by their breath!
ARTHUR: You make me sound like a freak! ... Anyway, so far I've just been smellin' for my own pleasure--I'm not sure I could do it if I turn pro.
STANLEY: Arthur, it's just a job -- We're not takin' your nose on tour!

Of course, by the end of the episode, Arthur is again unemployed. He comes
down the stairs with a nose as red as (in the words of Stan's mother) W.C.
Fields. He explains that he must have had an allergic reaction from smelling all those colognes.
ARTHUR: I just hope I haven't lost my sense of smell.
STANLEY: Don't worry ... As long you're alive, you'll smell!
tv star collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:24 PM   #11
bencasey

Quote:
I'm buying it. S'more is the best, 3 for 3 right now in their selections for DVD.
bencasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #12
Bob's TV Treasures
Forum Regular

Default LOTSA LUCK

I'm buying it. I loved the show when it aired in prime time on NBC. The first few shows were hilarious, but then the writers seemed to go astray. You'll love the first 5 or 6 episodes - especially OLIVE'S BIRTHDAY which involves a toilet given as a birthday gift, and the episode on which Jackie Joseph (then Mrs. Ken Berry) plays a lady-of-the-evening....AND, most importantly, the quality will be far better than the episodes in circulation.
Bob's TV Treasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:24 AM   #13
bencasey

I didn't know there were episodes in circulation. I've had a color kine of the pilot for years but that's it.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
TVFactFan
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's TV Treasures
I'm buying it. I loved the show when it aired in prime time on NBC. The first few shows were hilarious, but then the writers seemed to go astray. You'll love the first 5 or 6 episodes - especially OLIVE'S BIRTHDAY which involves a toilet given as a birthday gift, and the episode on which Jackie Joseph (then Mrs. Ken Berry) plays a lady-of-the-evening....AND, most importantly, the quality will be far better than the episodes in circulation.

I'm never picky about quality of a short-lived show from the 70's. That's too rare for me to care about quality. I didn't think it was possible to be picky about quality for shows that never were seen in syndication.
TVFactFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:59 PM   #15
bencasey

I heard my copy shipped today from Deep Discount DVD. Less than 20 bucks, can't beat that. Less than the cost for 2 to go to some crappy movie.