Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of November 18, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: One Day at a Time Season Premiere Date Set; Brooklyn Nine-Nine Renewed
Fri-Yay: Disney+ Launches; NBC Orders 8th Season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Antenna TV's Classic Christmas Collection and Christmas Through the Years; TBS Orders a Fifth Season of Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
2019 A Very Merry MeTV Lineup; Ricky Gervais Returns to Host Golden Globe Awards
CBS Midseason 2020 Plans Include FBI Spin-off; E! Brings Back The Soup
NBC Midseason 2020 Schedule; The CW Announces Midseason 2020 Lineup

New on DVD/Blu-ray (September/October/November)

My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season Life with Lucy - The Complete Series Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season

09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
09/19 - Angel from Hell - The DVD Edition
09/19 - The Guest Book - Season 1
10/08 - Leave it to Beaver - The Complete Series
10/08 - Life with Lucy - The Complete Series
10/15 - Mom - The Complete Sixth Season
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 1
10/16 - Our Miss Brooks - Season 1 - Volume 2
11/05 - The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang - The Complete Animated Series
11/05 - Laverne & Shirley in the Army (Animated Series) - The DVD Edition
11/05 - Letterkenny - Seasons 1 & 2
11/05 - Step by Step - The Complete Fifth Season (WBShop.com)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Twelfth and Final Season (Blu-ray)
11/12 - The Big Bang Theory - The Complete Series (Blu-ray Limited Edition)
11/19 - The King of Queens - The Complete Series (Mill Creek)
11/19 - The Kominsky Method - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 10-25-2017, 12:00 PM   #226
Mike82
Frequent Poster

How's this for an unpopular opinion?

While I am a huge classic UM and Robert Stack fan and consider it the best show ever made (until I came here I thought I was in the running for the world's largest UM fan), I actually like the Dennis Farina segments and feel they are very much underappreciated. Given what a crappy hand he was dealt with the awful music and graphics and always filming at that fake NASA station I thought he did a fantastic job as host. That's not even getting into how Spike kept moving the show around and irregularly broadcast it, mainly after everyone was sound asleep and DVRs weren't commonplace.

As for particular cases, I always felt that at best Penny Cayedito knew FAR more than she was letting on about Anthonette. Too bad we will never know the truth. Maybe it's because of a local case where a mother reported her 12 year old daughter missing. It was later proven she murdered her own kid because her boyfriend told her she had to choose between him and her child.
Mike82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #227
Drakken
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
Agreed 100%. The interest in him really seems passive given that he's a mass murderer.

Maybe people are just that impressed with his ability to grow the biggest tomatoes.
To be fair, at the end of the segment RS did advise that for obvious reasons he was to be considered extremely dangerous - and that he should not be directly confronted. This was very rare that RS would reiterate that with emphasis, to make the point perfectly clear.

However, the remaining part of the segment itself was rather underwhelming. It was a litany of his seduction attempts, his relationships, and the bodies he would leave behind. No real insight on the killer, even if his identity was well-known, except that he was a master manipulator. This was a case where it would have been warranted to have a Jack Levin in the segment, to explain the psychology of this atypical killer.
Drakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #228
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike82

While I am a huge classic UM and Robert Stack fan and consider it the best show ever made (until I came here I thought I was in the running for the world's largest UM fan), I actually like the Dennis Farina segments and feel they are very much underappreciated. Given what a crappy hand he was dealt with the awful music and graphics and always filming at that fake NASA station I thought he did a fantastic job as host. That's not even getting into how Spike kept moving the show around and irregularly broadcast it, mainly after everyone was sound asleep and DVRs weren't commonplace.
I actually agree with that one. I always liked Farina as an actor, and thought he did a good job as host, on his own merits. But, exactly as you said, he was kind of given a soup sandwich of a presentation. That wasn't his fault, though.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #229
JannTosh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike82

As for particular cases, I always felt that at best Penny Cayedito knew FAR more than she was letting on about Anthonette. Too bad we will never know the truth. Maybe it's because of a local case where a mother reported her 12 year old daughter missing. It was later proven she murdered her own kid because her boyfriend told her she had to choose between him and her child.

If you're talking about Farina solely then yes I agree. He did the best he could and would have potentially been a fine host if he had been given better material to work with

The actual revamp overall though is still too badly done and pointless to have much redeeming actors though
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #230
BiffMunson
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakbook
Agreed 100%. The interest in him really seems passive given that he's a mass murderer.

Maybe people are just that impressed with his ability to grow the biggest tomatoes.
He would not be considered a Mass Murderer. A mass murderer is what S Paddock in Las Vegas was. I'm not convinced he was a serial killer. Hitmen aren't usually classified as serials. This guy was an opportunistic killer if anything.
BiffMunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #231
freakbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiffMunson
He would not be considered a Mass Murderer. A mass murderer is what S Paddock in Las Vegas was. I'm not convinced he was a serial killer. Hitmen aren't usually classified as serials. This guy was an opportunistic killer if anything.
Good point.

Mass murder was a poor choice of words, but I just mean't it in a "killed a good number of women" way, not blew up a coliseum way.
freakbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #232
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken
Well, he had so many health issues that he was on verge of actually dying. How bad and wicked of a man to expect that his wife would back him in a time where even rising from the bed might kill him. The monster.

And yeah, it's "his" money. Which, by marriage, became "their" money because it was putting bread and butter on the table and jewelry on her, all thanks to his hard work.

If she wanted her rightful share of the money, all she had to do was to divorce and ask for alimony, which she would have been entitled to anyway because as a SAHM she had no independent means of income. Instead, she decided to scam him under his nose, exploiting his poor health and his vulnerability, and run away with all the money.

And let's not forget, he did state that he did not care all that much about the money. What he cared about was his children, which she stole away from him. The poor woman! Cry me a river. It's any husband's (or man's, for that matter) worst nightmare, on-par with catching red-handed his wife cheating in his bed.

I had a lot of sympathy for Jimmy Aprile, on the contrary. The guy was not perfect, but as far as we know he did not deserve a payback like this. Jimmy Aprile might have been too absorbed by his work and his business, which in itself could drive couples apart and cause a divorce, but that was so that his family - including herself - would not need anything.

The guy trusted his wife blindly because he was sure he could count on her 100%, while she was ripping him off of everything he had only to leave him with a measly 12$ in his account with his children nowhere to be found. He got had by his own wife while he was trying to stay alive, for crying out loud!

You bring up so many excellent points. The most important one being that all she had to do was divorce him. She still would have gotten alimony and had access to her kids. Instead, she took all of the kids and all of the money.

Was it really worth the five years she ended up being in prison and out of her children's lives? (Although I'm kind of surprised she only got five years for theft, fraud, forgery and abduction.)
dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:16 AM   #233
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynoguy88
To piggyback off Kari Lynn Nixon but in a different direction; I'm in the extreme minority here who doesn't trash her father endlessly for asking her to pick up chips and soda.

I see absolutely nothing wrong in asking your 16 year old kid to walk two whole blocks to run a quick errand for you at 9:00 on a summer night in your tiny town (population 500). He would have never willingly put her in danger if he knew a nutcase was going to be pulling up in front of his neighbors home to grab her off the street at the worst possible moment. It's not like he didn't punish himself every day of his life afterwards.

It's an armchair quarterback situation. Trashing him means you're basically holding it against him for not having psychic powers.
I have a huge problem with someone who pries their daughter away from doing their homework to get him snacks and sends her out at night in New York because he's too lazy to get up off his fat ass and get them himself, then promptly goes to watch tv and falls asleep and doesn't even realize until the next day (!!) that his daughter is missing, when it turns out she's been kidnapped, raped and murdered. Women and girls are unfortunately raped all the time (and that includes in small towns).

This goes beyond just bad and/or negligent parenting, I hold him indirectly responsible!
Old 10-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #234
JannTosh
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy182
I have a huge problem with someone who pries their daughter away from doing their homework to get him snacks and sends her out at night in New York because he's too lazy to get up off his fat ass and get them himself, then promptly goes to watch tv and falls asleep and doesn't even realize until the next day (!!) that his daughter is missing, when it turns out she's been kidnapped, raped and murdered. Women and girls are unfortunately raped all the time (and that includes in small towns).

This goes beyond just bad and/or negligent parenting, I hold him indirectly responsible!

Wise guys back!
JannTosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #235
wiseguy182

Quote:
Originally Posted by JannTosh
Wise guys back!
Attached Images

wiseguy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:43 PM   #236
Hot Jock
Forum Regular

Quote:

Hot Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:45 PM   #237
wiseguy182

Donald Kemp and Wanda Mays were murdered.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #238
dynoguy88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Jock
Indeed. And I'll add this...

dynoguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #239
wiseguy182

I'm in the extreme minority who believe Tim McClure killed his mother. Extreme minority.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #240
bell83
You're in high school again.
Forum Regular

Quote:
sends her out at night in New York
You do realize that all of New York is not New York City, right? This case took place about an hour from me, and being out at night, even now, is far from a death sentence. I couldn't tell you the amount of times I was out as a kid (around that time) until after dark, and I never got murdered/raped/abducted. Neither did any of my friends, regardless of sex. Or anyone else we knew. It's really quite common around here, because while we have "cities" around here, people outside of this area will not consider them "cities." And crimes of that type are far from normal here.
bell83 is offline   Reply With Quote