Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-08-2021, 07:21 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Junkie

Question Biggest mistreatment of a TV character?

Basically, what are the most notable examples of a good character getting screwed by outside circumstances such as the ego or negligence of the writers.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #2
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Fanatic

Cordelia Chase (played by Charisma Carpenter) on Angel. It was like they were trying to assassinate the character... and they eventually did. New York Times bestselling author Jennifer Crusie calls the season-long destruction of this character, formerly one of the best-written characters on television, one of the worst moments in TV history, and states that Season 4 of Angel, with Cordelia's stupid storyline, was the moment "the writers lost their minds". It's been stated that the silencing of Cordelia Chase made viewers question how feminist this show really was, and viewers reacted so badly to Cordy's storyline that the series was effectively revamped after the season, according to TVTropes. It was soul-crushing watching the writers slowly destroy this character over 22 episodes, and it's even worse now, knowing actress Charisma Carpenter hated what they were doing to her character, and was dealt this terrible end simply because she had become pregnant.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

This topic is hard. Its easier to find examples when an actor was mistreated (or screwed) and likely written off the show or replaced, than just the character but not the actor.

As for character:
-On Boy Meets World, Topanga seemed more quirky the first season but made more normal in the subsequent seasons. It might not have made a huge difference but thought a normal Topanga was more boring.
-On Parks and Rec, the character for Jerry was bullied and made fun of way too much. In real life, that’d be form of work place harrasment most likely.
-On Wonder Years, Kevin’s brother Wayne seemed mostly one-dimensional and a big jerk most of the time. I think if they made him more realistic with some positive qualities it would have made his character more interesting.
-On Family Ties, I think the writers made Mallory too dumb. Indirectly it kept her so far behind Alex in terms of popularity.
favoriteshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
RetroGuy2000
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by favoriteshow View Post
-On Wonder Years, Kevin’s brother Wayne seemed mostly one-dimensional and a big jerk most of the time. I think if they made him more realistic with some positive qualities it would have made his character more interesting.
Yes. I remember watching at the time, thinking he could have been fleshed out into a real person, but instead he was very two-dimensional.

Quote:
-On Family Ties, I think the writers made Mallory too dumb. Indirectly it kept her so far behind Alex in terms of popularity.
Another good pick. I remember the episode where a teacher gets Mallory to open up, revealing that she is not as dumb as she lets on... but in the very next episode, Mallory was dumb again.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #5
stevea
LITB/FKB/M3S Fan
Forum Celebrity

Arthur Harmon on Maude.

Darrin on Bewitched (Ah, the places I've been [sent] and the things I've been turned into)
stevea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:43 PM   #6
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Stuart Bloom on The Big Bang Theory.
Charley Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:13 AM   #7
RetroGuy2000
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Knox View Post
Stuart Bloom on The Big Bang Theory.
OMG, that poor man!
Old 03-12-2021, 01:06 PM   #8
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Angela, on The Office, started out more xenophobic in nature, and dismissive towards Pam and other characters. Her character was best in the early seasons. (My favorite seasons are the early seasons, before Ed Helms as Andy Bernard joined the show).

Towards the middle to end of the series when the characters started dating then marrying each other, the writers reduced her idiosyncrasies and just made her bland, almost a friend of Jim and Pam.
favoriteshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #9
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer

I always thought that Uncle Fester got kind of a raw deal

GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:45 PM   #10
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Did any of these actors or actresses come to resent the characters they played?
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:05 PM   #11
Charley Knox
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo View Post
Did any of these actors or actresses come to resent the characters they played?
I think Ted Knight was a little self conscious.
Charley Knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #12
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Fanatic

Jawarhalal on Head of the Class- Jory Husain who sometimes posts here on the Head of the Class board was a good actor. But the writers just had too many characters to give good stories to everyone, I don't recall Jawarhalal ever being the main focus or even B plot of an episode. He was the only student that happened to, barely had any lines in many episodes.

Judy Winslow on Family Matters- I had thought Jaimee Foxworth's demanding stage mother was the main reason she appeared less and less until not at all. But after hearing about how her acting was mocked by Jaleel White and Darius McCrary, it seems like a lot of the cast was cruelly out to get her. As immature as Urkel always was, I had assumed Jaleel White was naturally better than that in real life, I had liked his guest appearance on Psych. Mocking her is awful enough, but if he really did lock her in the closet what shameful behavior.

Darrin on The Middle- The writers treated him like total dirt after Sue rejected his marriage proposal. Most of the time after that Darrin was ghosted like he never existed. It went from Axl having Darrin and Sean as co best friends to Sean being his only friend until meeting Hutch. The one time Darrin was mentioned it was very disparagingly, although poor Carly was even worse there. She was not the type of girl who slept around and got knocked up. They also made revisionist history like Sue and Sean had wanted each other from early on. Yeah right, the only way they interacted before Darin left was thru Axl. Sean's asking Sue to the prom was a pity invite, nothing more.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #13
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Fanatic

Eric and Mr. Turner on Boy Meets World- Besides the addition of Rachel who I couldn't stand and lousy writing in general, the sharp dumbing down of Eric is why the latter era of this show, especially seasons 6 and 7, is so much worse. It is one thing for a character to be dumb and stupid yet funny from the start, like Lowell on Wings, Bull on Night Court, Waldo on Family Matters, and Mr. Kimball on Green Acres. But Eric had average intelligence for the first four seasons, sure he had screw-ups but he wasn't a moron either. Mr. Turner was great when he was a regular. They supposedly got rid of him because of it being unrealistic for a teacher to follow their kids all the way through high school. But that can't be the real story since Mr. Feeny followed them all through college and married life.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 04:26 PM   #14
SledgeBarone

Chrissy on Three's Company
Potsie on Happy Days
Mrs. Wilson on Dennis the Menace (due to Joseph Kearns's death)
SledgeBarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:00 PM   #15
MikeLutton
Mike Lutton DVD Legend!
Forum Veteran

putting fonzie in the bunny suit on the fonzie's spot episode so against his charactor