Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-16-2020, 08:17 PM   #121
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
How so?
I'd have to go back and watch the show to give specifics. I don't think that I've watched it since it was in first runs.

Maxine and Kyle were the only characters that I found believable.....and I'll admit that is really taxing my memory. The rest of the show seemed contrived to me.

BTW, I don't think that I've ever seen even a single episode of "Friends", jfyi
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #122
TSMIV
Forum Regular

Quote:
Mike and Carol Brady were much better parents.
My unpopular opinion is I never liked Mike, Carol, nor Alice. They were all too silly (not to mention portrayed by lousy actors), but I did like the kids on the show.
TSMIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 09:56 PM   #123
cleverfun3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
1. I like the 2nd Darrin better!

2. I like David Nelson better than Ricky.

3. I like the 2nd Gladys Kravitz better than the first. The first one was a total nutcase! I felt sorry for poor Abner who had to put up with both of them. He was the original Al Bundy.

4. The NHL is way better than the NBA.

5. TGIF was, as a whole, the worst collection of sitcoms in TV history.

6. "Happy Days" switched from filming with one camera to three in front of a live audience and boosted Fonzie's character in Season 3 (not Season 2, like some people have stated here before) because of stiff competition from "Good Times" (a much weaker show) and its breakout, one-joke star Jimmie "JJ" Walker.

7. "A Different World" jumped the shark in a big way after the first season when both Lisa Bonet and Marisa Tomei left the series.

8. "The Big Bang Theory" got better after Howard's Mom died. She was so annoying!

9. "The Cosby Show" was better than "The Jeffersons".

10. And finally.... Dr Ho is funny. Dr Ken is not.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:57 PM   #124
TSMIV
Forum Regular

Quote:
1. I like the 2nd Darrin better!
Both Darrens sucked.
TSMIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:43 PM   #125
Fallon97
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyboy323 View Post
I think The Facts Of Life should’ve gone on for another season or three!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
I think season 8 of The Facts of Life is just as good as the earlier seasons. Majority of fans don't feel this way. I mentioned recently how almost 20 years ago a website called Jump The Shark listed the change in season 8 as the number one reason. Just because Mrs. Garrett left doesn't mean the show jumped the shark.
I agree with the both of you.
Fallon97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #126
dee2364
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Guy View Post
You have some valid points about Ward Cleaver (and June). While I don’t hate him, I don’t get the fascination with him as a great TV dad. He was overly harsh with the kids for minor accidents happening (like stuff getting broken) and for just being kids in general. He and June were, frankly, cold towards the children a lot of the time (she more than he). They were unapproachable and the kids were afraid to go to him with their problems. No thanks - I lived that reality growing up.
That, too. There were so many moments when I sided with Beaver for that very reason. Who would want to talk to a father like that? Or let him know when you goofed up something? I sure as hell wouldn't!

I agree with you about the Bradys but my favorite TV dad of all time was Jim Anderson. He was just a normal guy who happened to be a father, not this godlike figure who had all the answers and everyone had to answer to or else.
dee2364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 07:05 PM   #127
Fallon97
Forum Regular

All seasons of "The Facts Of Life are great; However, seasons 5-9 (the later seasons) are my favorites.

I like Beverly Ann and I like Beverly Ann and Ms. Garrett as sisters. I liked that she looked out for Ms. Garrett's store/boarding house as well as keeping an eye on the girls for her sister. I think it was sweet. I also like Andy, George, and Pippa.

I think that "The Facts Of Life" could of went on for a few more seasons. The show never "jumped the shark" in my opinion.

I like the "Laverne & Shirley" California episodes (later years).

I liked the first season of "A Different World."

"Happy Days" was still good after Ritchie left. I missed Ritchie but I did enjoy the season when Linda Purl was on the show dating Henry Winkler. They made a good couple.

I like the last season of "Gimme A Break."

The last season of "I Dream Of Jeannie" was my favorite. I liked seeing Jeannie and Major Nelson as a married couple, and I enjoyed seeing her mingle with Dr. Bellows and Amanda Bellows.

The last season of "Charlie's Angels" is my least favorite but all the seasons were great. I like Shelley Hack and Tanya Roberts, and I think they deserve more respect as Angels. David Doyle and Cheryl Ladd deserve more credit as well. I also like Jill and Chris as sisters.

Last edited by Fallon97; 04-24-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Fallon97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:55 AM   #128
jimpickens

Hee Haw should've ended around 1979.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:44 AM   #129
cnnbcbs
Frequent Poster

I sometimes enjoy later seasons because 'fading shows' tend to shake things up and it's interesting to watch different dynamics. For instance when HD added all those new characters in season 10 and dropped them in season 11. I generally find it boring when shows stay the same too much.
cnnbcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:35 AM   #130
biffbronson
Forum 4K Club Member

I was pretty accepting of both Darrins on Bewitched, watching syndicated reruns as a youngster. I still think they were both well-suited to the role, but Dick York had some performances that now impress me more.

I was unfamiliar with Alice Pearce as Gladys until I later saw the b & w episodes, but I like her immensely. Both Louise Tates were nice-looking ladies, but I have a special fondness for the first one as I visit her old hometown practically every day.

The Jeffersons and A Different World: I mostly prefer both over The Cosby Show. I don't dislike Cos himself though, as I like watching his earlier work.
biffbronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #131
cnnbcbs
Frequent Poster

Amen was better than The Jeffersons.

Didn't watch Friends, but enjoyed Joey and later Man With A Plan.

Two and A Half Men was a terrible show that became better after Charlie Sheen Left. The show def had a sillier vibe with the Kutcher/Cryer dynamic.
cnnbcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:58 PM   #132
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

My unpopular opinion of the day was Tiffani Amber Thiessen as Kelly Kapowski on Saved By the Bell was overrated. I actually enjoyed the Tori episodes when Tori became a female protagonist and Kelly was missing.

The caveat however was Elizabeth Berkeley as Jessie was also missing from those episodes, so that was a loss.

But the show did what it could to get Kelly back on Saved By the Bell: The College Years over all the other girls, and made sure Zack ended up with Kelly. So Kelly was favored by the show or network, over Jessie, Lisa and Tori, even though I liked the other three better by the senior year.

Kelly just seemed pretty single dimensional- just play pretty girl in many of the SBTB episodes, and Tori was a fresh change.
favoriteshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 12:07 AM   #133
jimpickens

For those people who think that pro wrestling is more violent or became more violent over the past 25 years has never watched it in the the 70's and 80's I can name a few promotions that were brutal.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:07 PM   #134
tenter

I'm just going to come out and say it..

Full House airing on nick@nite isn't really a good idea to start with, now they've been cutting down to only weekends because of Young Sheldon taking a slots.

But with these another last minute changes, I can tell nick@nite doesn't want anything to do with Full House. Some few people in social media complained it.

I mean there are some other ways to watch Full House, like hulu. But I'm just expressing my opinion.

Also I wondered whether nick@nite aired The Office in Jan 2019 was a big mistake to begin with? It did lasted until May 2019, and never even aired on TVLand at all. The ratings weren't the problem, maybe it was for a little. I watched The Office for a little, it wasn't very family friendly feel.
tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:41 PM   #135
Route66Fan
Occasional Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by treky View Post
oh COME ON!!

it was just a sitcom for gods sake!!
Some people forget that the Clampetts were actually from Missouri & that Paul Henning was, himself, also from Missouri. There is actually several references to cities, towns & villages in Missouri, including: Kansas City, MO, Lee's Summit, MO, Independence, MO (Paul Henning's hometown.), Buckner, MO, Sibley, MO, Joplin, MO & (An obscure one.), Ripley, MO. There are also references to counties in Missouri like: Clay, Taney, Stone & Jackson, MO.
Route66Fan is offline   Reply With Quote