Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 12-16-2020, 02:43 AM   #106
jimpickens

And a jackass to boot.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:54 AM   #107
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaViewer View Post
I believe the creators themselves said it was an idealized and nostalgic view of 1930s small town America. It did seem to exist in its own reality, untouched by the 1960s.
I would even go a step further and say it found its genesis in a series of short stories by Sally Benson which formed the basis for the 1944 film Meet Me in St. Louis. That was set in the early (and idealized) 20th century.
I can see that some of that nostalgia can be a turn-off. I mean, when you see all the smiling, white faces and the mood is "Things are just peachy. Don't you just wish things were still like this?" When everybody knows things weren't so great for "them folks".
RetroGuy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:49 AM   #108
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward216 View Post
Amen to that!! But you left out that he's evil as well.

Ed.

SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:49 AM   #109
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpickens View Post
And a jackass to boot.
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 04:17 AM   #110
jimpickens

The Big Bang Theory wasn't as funny when all the guys except for Raj got girlfriends and married.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:07 AM   #111
treky
star trek fan
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpickens View Post
The Beverly Hillbillies was an insult to mountain people I live in the mountains ( West Virginia) and I have never met anyone as ignorant and backwoods as the Clampetts and I've known some characters.
oh COME ON!!

it was just a sitcom for gods sake!!

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:53 AM   #112
dee2364
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrenee View Post
I think these shows are awful.

Leave it to Beaver (A very corny and overrated sitcom).
You just reminded me--

I like the show...BUT...and here's the unpopular opinion...I HATED WARD CLEAVER! I think he consistently gets voted as "the best sitcom dad ever" but to me, he came across as so condescending, smug and holier-than-thou, not wise. I guess he was the 1950s ideal dad but I found him insufferable. There were a couple of times when I just wanted to deck him.
dee2364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:55 PM   #113
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I can see that some of that nostalgia can be a turn-off. I mean, when you see all the smiling, white faces and the mood is "Things are just peachy. Don't you just wish things were still like this?" When everybody knows things weren't so great for "them folks".
LOL, they should have had Barney Fife serving no-knock warrants, and Skippy and Daphne trollling the bus station.
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:12 PM   #114
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer

I think you guys do have a point though.
Up until I retired last year I worked in an antique restoration shop with 4 other "white haired old geezers"

We hired a younger guy as an apprentice, and he was sort of a "Mike Stivic" type person, always looking for a cause worth fighting, and never shy about trying to stoke white guilt as part of his repertoire.
Several were leery of his frequent "traps"

One Monday morning he asked me what I did all weekend, and I said "Oh, just the usual...watching Andy Griffith re-runs and listening to oldies radio".....and the others overheard that and recognized exactly what I was trying to do. And a good time was had by all.

Thereafter, that phrase became kind of a catch-all we'd use trying to tell the young guy when it was time to put a lid on it.
Old 12-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #115
tenter

The social media on nick@nite getting lot of complaints, ever since Young Sheldon joined, there were even MORE complaints, more than formerly when The Office joined nick@nite last year Jan 2019 (which lasted until May 2019). They are literally obsessed with Friends. I feel that most of the complaints, are from middle aged women, really out of their minds. But I think we can all agree sitcomsonline users know that Friends are already overrated and getting WAY too many airings on TBS and nick@nite.
tenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #116
RetroGuy2000
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
LOL, they should have had Barney Fife serving no-knock warrants, and Skippy and Daphne trollling the bus station.
There's a nice YouTube video where Oprah, a huge fan of the Andy Griffith Show, talks with the only black person to have a speaking role on the show. It's nice because it shows you can be an admirer of a series, while still acknowledging its limitations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PabLodqhrGs
Old 12-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #117
TV Guy
Forum 3K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee2364 View Post
You just reminded me--

I like the show...BUT...and here's the unpopular opinion...I HATED WARD CLEAVER! I think he consistently gets voted as "the best sitcom dad ever" but to me, he came across as so condescending, smug and holier-than-thou, not wise. I guess he was the 1950s ideal dad but I found him insufferable. There were a couple of times when I just wanted to deck him.
You have some valid points about Ward Cleaver (and June). While I donít hate him, I donít get the fascination with him as a great TV dad. He was overly harsh with the kids for minor accidents happening (like stuff getting broken) and for just being kids in general. He and June were, frankly, cold towards the children a lot of the time (she more than he). They were unapproachable and the kids were afraid to go to him with their problems. No thanks - I lived that reality growing up.

Mike and Carol Brady were much better parents. They had a strong moral compass and werenít afraid to discipline the kids when they needed it, but they had a more progressive parenting style, relative to the Cleavers, and they were warm, affectionate, and approachable.
TV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:43 PM   #118
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
it shows you can be an admirer of a series, while still acknowledging its limitations.
Entertainment being exactly that, I always felt that "Living Single" portrayed an idealized narrative, as well.
Old 12-16-2020, 03:08 PM   #119
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer

Conversely, one show that I always liked was "My Name is Earl", I could never figure out why that show didn't last longer.

Certain aspects of that plot were clearly designed to shock sensitivities, and (to me) that made it all the more enjoyable. BUT, not everybody sees that kind of shock as entertainment. And I try to respect that POV as well.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #120
RetroGuy2000
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
Entertainment being exactly that, I always felt that "Living Single" portrayed an idealized narrative, as well.
How so?

Friends portrayed a pretty idealized storyline, too, all things considered: Monica's huge NYC apartment with the giant balcony and window, and everyone has time to get together every week for coffee? And the couch is always free?!

Still, I adored that one, ignoring some of the bad/nonsensical stuff.