Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board


Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV Summer 2021 Schedule, Monk Joins Lineup; HBO Max Sets Cast for Period Comedy
New Chip 'n' Dale Series Premieres July 28 on Disney+; Cruel Summer Returning for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin


New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #91
jimpickens
Member
Senior Member
 
jimpickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2007
Location: weston,wv
Posts: 1,204
Default

They need to cut back on MASH especially ME TV.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #92
Schmo
Member
Frequent Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 24, 2013
Posts: 385
Default

I think it was good that “Gilligan’s Island” ended after three seasons, even if it was canceled in an underhanded way. Ratings for the third season were the lowest by far, and Tina Louise wanted to move on. If the series was renewed for a fourth season, the audience would miss Tina and likely wouldn’t accept a replacement character if that was part of the plan.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:57 PM   #93
factsoflife
Member
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 11, 2000
Posts: 8,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitcomsHeydayfan View Post
Could you please list those shows again? They can't ALL be bad. I must've watched at least a couple of those.

Were Blossom and Hangin with Mr.Cooper on the list?
Blossom was NOT part of TGIF as it aired on a different network (NBC). Hanging with Mr Cooper WAS part of TGIF starting with its second season.

Here is a list of shows that were part of TGIF (but far from a complete list):
Full House, Family Matters, Step By Step, Hanging with Mr. Cooper, Perfect Strangers, Sabrina The Teenage Witch, Boy Meets World, Just The Ten of Us, Dinosaurs and Clueless.

Here is a wikipedia link that discusses TGIF in full:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TGIF_(...9%E2%80%932000)
__________________
There's no comfort in the truth, pain is all you'll find."-- George Michael
factsoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #94
SitcomsHeydayfan
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 19, 2018
Location: The Show Me state
Posts: 2,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo View Post
I think it was good that “Gilligan’s Island” ended after three seasons, even if it was canceled in an underhanded way. Ratings for the third season were the lowest by far, and Tina Louise wanted to move on. If the series was renewed for a fourth season, the audience would miss Tina and likely wouldn’t accept a replacement character if that was part of the plan.
NO WAY dude! Sherwood Schwartz had some great scripts for season 4 including the "Incredible Shrinking Gilligan"!

It would've been a great season even without Tina. Remember about HALF the original cast was re-cast after the pilot.

I can assure you 99% of GI fans wanted Gilligan's Island to go on!
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #95
jimpickens
Member
Senior Member
 
jimpickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2007
Location: weston,wv
Posts: 1,204
Default

Tina wasn't in the movies and they did well.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:27 AM   #96
cnnbcbs
Member
Frequent Poster
 
cnnbcbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 08, 2017
Posts: 336
Default

I'll take the later non-Richie years of Happy Days over the slow and boring early seasons, especially with that weird, single-camera 'movie' look. Yes, I generally prefer slapstick and broad comedy.
cnnbcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #97
JustaViewer
Member
Occasional Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2015
Posts: 61
Default

Here's a real kick in the head.
I cannot stand the Andy Griffith Show.
Loved it as a kid, it was my mother's favorite. And I will acknowledge the talent of Don Knotts and many early episodes are very well-written.
However, as I got older I noticed fundamentalists have a bizarre fascination toward the show. I knew a preacher who based a sermon series on several episodes, there is even Sunday School material based on the show.
Perhaps the fantasy and idealist world of Mayberry appealed to them. Idyllic small town (no pesky minorities) lots of homespun wisdom, everybody goes to the same church, lots of moralistic stories with happy endings.
I always preferred the Paul Henning rural sitcoms, especially Green Acres.
Don't hate me.
JustaViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #98
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Fanatic
 
RetroGuy2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 27, 2013
Posts: 12,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaViewer View Post
Here's a real kick in the head.
I cannot stand the Andy Griffith Show.
Loved it as a kid, it was my mother's favorite. And I will acknowledge the talent of Don Knotts and many early episodes are very well-written.
However, as I got older I noticed fundamentalists have a bizarre fascination toward the show. I knew a preacher who based a sermon series on several episodes, there is even Sunday School material based on the show.
Perhaps the fantasy and idealist world of Mayberry appealed to them. Idyllic small town (no pesky minorities) lots of homespun wisdom, everybody goes to the same church, lots of moralistic stories with happy endings.
I always preferred the Paul Henning rural sitcoms, especially Green Acres.
Don't hate me.
I don't hate you. In retrospect, Mayberry does feel very whitewashed. Not just in terms of race, but religion, lifestyle, etc. I haven't watched an episode in ages because in retrospect, the episodes feel like they are representing an idealized version of rural America in that era.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 10:38 PM   #99
jimpickens
Member
Senior Member
 
jimpickens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 01, 2007
Location: weston,wv
Posts: 1,204
Default

The Beverly Hillbillies was an insult to mountain people I live in the mountains ( West Virginia) and I have never met anyone as ignorant and backwoods as the Clampetts and I've known some characters.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 11:16 PM   #100
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer
Senior Member
 
GentlemanJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaViewer View Post
Perhaps the fantasy and idealist world of Mayberry appealed to them. Idyllic small town (no pesky minorities)
I always preferred the Paul Henning rural sitcoms, especially Green Acres.
Don't hate me.
Who were the "pesky minorities" in Green Acres?
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:00 AM   #101
SitcomsHeydayfan
Member
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 19, 2018
Location: The Show Me state
Posts: 2,742
Default

Biden is a demented, senile, MORON!
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #102
JustaViewer
Member
Occasional Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2015
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanJim View Post
Who were the "pesky minorities" in Green Acres?
It's pretty clear my observation was on the PERCEPTION fundamentalist and evangelical Christians have of the Andy Griffith Show as their paragon of reality. They use a fictional fantasy to form the reality of their choosing.
My comment on Green Acres is clearly a different paragraph. The Paul Henning comedies bordered on the bizarre and in no way can be mistaken for reality.
JustaViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:11 AM   #103
JustaViewer
Member
Occasional Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 14, 2015
Posts: 61
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I don't hate you. In retrospect, Mayberry does feel very whitewashed. Not just in terms of race, but religion, lifestyle, etc. I haven't watched an episode in ages because in retrospect, the episodes feel like they are representing an idealized version of rural America in that era.
I believe the creators themselves said it was an idealized and nostalgic view of 1930s small town America. It did seem to exist in its own reality, untouched by the 1960s.
I would even go a step further and say it found its genesis in a series of short stories by Sally Benson which formed the basis for the 1944 film Meet Me in St. Louis. That was set in the early (and idealized) 20th century.
JustaViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #104
GentlemanJim
Casual Observer
Senior Member
 
GentlemanJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 26, 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaViewer View Post
It's pretty clear my observation was on the PERCEPTION fundamentalist and evangelical Christians have of the Andy Griffith Show as their paragon of reality. They use a fictional fantasy to form the reality of their choosing.
My comment on Green Acres is clearly a different paragraph. The Paul Henning comedies bordered on the bizarre and in no way can be mistaken for reality.

Actually, your use of the word "preferred" suggests a relational association with the prior thought process.

Making me suspect that it might be the harmony in Mayberry that you resented, considering that bedlam was the status quo in Hooterville.

Last edited by GentlemanJim; 12-15-2020 at 04:26 PM.
GentlemanJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:38 PM   #105
Edward216
Member
Forum 3K Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 18, 2014
Location: Central Time Zone
Posts: 3,676
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitcomsHeydayfan View Post
Biden is a demented, senile, MORON!
Amen to that!! But you left out that he's evil as well.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:25 AM.


Although the administrators and moderators of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards, nor vBulletin Solutions Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message. The owners of the Sitcoms Online Message Boards reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.