Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > Mom

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Hulu's Solar Opposites Renewed for 4th Season; Sundance Now's Motherland Returns July 8
MeTV Summer 2021 Schedule, Monk Joins Lineup; HBO Max Sets Cast for Period Comedy
New Chip 'n' Dale Series Premieres July 28 on Disney+; Cruel Summer Returning for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
Christopher
Forum Fanatic

Default Rank the seasons

How would you rank the seasons of Mom? After seeing how season 8 is heading, I think I know where I would rank it with the rest of the seasons.

1. Season 2
2. Season 3
3. Season 4
4. Season 6
5. Season 7
6. Season 1
7. Season 8
8. Season 5

I consider seasons 2 - 4 the prime of this show. They found themselves in season 2 shifting from Christy and her family to Christy and the AA friends. After how awful season 5 was, I like how fresh it felt in season 6 with Tammy there. Season 7 kept the hits coming IMO. Tammy was still proving to be a great addition to the show. Season 1 is alright. I really can't stand Violet though. She criticizes Christy's mothering but she gives her baby up. Violet proved she's no better than Christy so her self righteous bull was uncalled for throughout the show. Season 8 is doing nothing for me, but it's still not as bad as having Christy date her mom's boyfriend's brother. Season 5 was a chore to get through IMO. I didn't think Anna and Steve Weber had any chemistry. It was weak pushing more of Adam's life into the show. I also didn't care for the Jill being fat story. They could have done a better story to handle Jaime's pregnancy that year than saying Jill's going to be a lard ass and we're putting her in fat camp to get some fat jokes in. It wasn't as funny to me.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #2
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Fanatic

I don't think I can rate the seasons, as I saw most of them out of order, although Season 8 would be my least favorite.

You mentioned Violet being a terrible person, and I agree. That's one of the reasons I liked having her on the show: she provided so much conflict that we didn't get in later years; not everyone on a sitcom should be supportive and caring, and when she left, a lot of Christy's struggles evaporated. The show became a lot more bland.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #3
Christopher
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroGuy2000 View Post
I don't think I can rate the seasons, as I saw most of them out of order, although Season 8 would be my least favorite.

You mentioned Violet being a terrible person, and I agree. That's one of the reasons I liked having her on the show: she provided so much conflict that we didn't get in later years; not everyone on a sitcom should be supportive and caring, and when she left, a lot of Christy's struggles evaporated. The show became a lot more bland.
Do you have a list of favorite to least favorite seasons? Season 8 started off really good. The Jill drama over her love life was a show killer for me.

I couldn't find anything to enjoy about Violet. All she did was criticize Christy. Even after she found out Christy was abused by her father, Violet still kept putting her down. Christy made mistakes, but she was trying hard to get forgiveness. I don't find the show bland without Violet. They did a lot of great stories without the kids dragging them down the way they were season 1. We wouldn't have gotten a funny pot cookie episode or the fake handicap placard episode. We also wouldn't have gotten Jodie or the arrival of Tammy because they would be giving us stories on the ungrateful kids. The show got better once the kids were gone. The only good thing from the kids was Baxter's girlfriend Candace. I do miss big red and her banter with Christy. A shame Candace never needed AA so she could be one of the girls.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:04 PM   #4
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Do you have a list of favorite to least favorite seasons? Season 8 started off really good. The Jill drama over her love life was a show killer for me.
I don't think I can do a full season-by-season breakdown because I watched the episodes out of order. However, I like the earlier seasons better than most of the later seasons, and Season 8, without Christy, has been the least good.

Quote:
I couldn't find anything to enjoy about Violet. All she did was criticize Christy. Even after she found out Christy was abused by her father, Violet still kept putting her down. Christy made mistakes, but she was trying hard to get forgiveness. I don't find the show bland without Violet.
Without Violet, there was a lot less drama, and that is something you need when seriously tackling substance abuse. Both Bonnie and Christy have a long history of substance abuse, and Violet was literally the legacy of that abuse. For me, the happy moments and the angry moments worked together to provide a more realistic portrayal of the family's dynamics.

You mentioned Tammy. She's a great example of how the show got a bit watered down. We know Bonnie used Tammy when they were kids; why is Tammy no longer ever bitter about this? The show has just become too tame, and doesn't accurately portray the dysfunction of the Plunkett family anymore. They've settled down, so the show should end.

Quote:
They did a lot of great stories without the kids dragging them down the way they were season 1. We wouldn't have gotten a funny pot cookie episode or the fake handicap placard episode. We also wouldn't have gotten Jodie or the arrival of Tammy because they would be giving us stories on the ungrateful kids.
But we know that's not true: Violet and Jodi both appear in Season 3, so the idea that both Jodi and Violet couldn't appear just isn't supported. Unfortunately, Jodi didn't last long anyway.

Quote:
The show got better once the kids were gone. The only good thing from the kids was Baxter's girlfriend Candace. I do miss big red and her banter with Christy. A shame Candace never needed AA so she could be one of the girls.
The Candace episodes were amazing, I agree. Having Christy deal with her was hilarious.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:00 AM   #5
Christopher
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Without Violet, there was a lot less drama, and that is something you need when seriously tackling substance abuse. Both Bonnie and Christy have a long history of substance abuse, and Violet was literally the legacy of that abuse. For me, the happy moments and the angry moments worked together to provide a more realistic portrayal of the family's dynamics.
Without Violet, there's been plenty of drama. When they shifted the show's premise to Christy and the AA, we got Bonnie's arc of losing it over Alvin's death the last half of season 2. Season 3 we had Jodi trying to be clean and then overdosing. There was also the drama between Marjorie and Christy over that and then the drama of Jodi's boyfriend. Season 4 we had the drama of Jill's miscarriage. Season 5 they had more Jill drama with her weight and relapsing. Once the kids were sent to guest starring appearances, the show was really able to focus on addiction and recovering on more than just Christy. When Bonnie relapse and was losing it in season 2, her grandkids didn't care. It was the girls from AA. They needed the kids gone in order to really show addiction from more characters.

Quote:
You mentioned Tammy. She's a great example of how the show got a bit watered down. We know Bonnie used Tammy when they were kids; why is Tammy no longer ever bitter about this? The show has just become too tame, and doesn't accurately portray the dysfunction of the Plunkett family anymore. They've settled down, so the show should end.
Tammy isn't meant to be a bitter person. The purpose of Tammy's character is to give a little insight on what it's like for people in prison for so long to be release and get use to what freedom is like. The episode where Tammy is released from parole shows the feelings some ex-prisoners may have when they're in total control of themselves again. I really like Tammy because she brought an aspect the show lost during season 5 with their Jill drama and pushing more of Adam's life on us.

Quote:
But we know that's not true: Violet and Jodi both appear in Season 3, so the idea that both Jodi and Violet couldn't appear just isn't supported. Unfortunately, Jodi didn't last long anyway.
Oh if the show stuck with the premise of season 1, we would never have gotten as many AA stories on the girls like we did. We would have gotten more stories from the restaurant and Christy butting heads with Violet. There's a huge difference to being part of the main cast and story like Violet was in season 1 to just doing guest star appearances in the rest of the series. Season 2 phased Violet and Roscoe out to focus more on Christy and AA. I noticed the change during Alvin's death in season 2. This was Violet and Roscoe's grandfather and they only have one or two scenes while the AA group has multiple episodes helping Bonnie deal with it.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
Adamantium
TVAdam No More
Forum Veteran

Let's see, here's my order from favorite to least-favorite:

Season 4
Season 2
Season 1
Season 3
Season 6
Season 5
Season 7
Season 8

To me, the show was at its best during the first four seasons. The last four seasons are each just a nice bonus. I actually really like the first season because I like the family element and I'm one of the few people who likes Violet, it seems. Plus, I like Luke, and I also prefer Baxter before Candace cleaned up his act.
Adamantium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #7
Lorimar Television
Forum Veteran

Season 2
Season 4
Season 1
Season 6
Season 7
Season 8
Season 3
Season 5