Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin
Netflix's Popular Never Have I Ever Returns July 15; Peacock's Girls5eva Renewed for Season 2
Chicago Fire Finally Heads to Syndication; Peacock Picks Up New Comedy Which Takes Place at a Singing Competition
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 14, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Valerie Bertinelli Cast in Comedy Pilot with Demi Lovato; Broadway Version of The Nanny in the Works
Fri-Yay: Kim's Convenience Is An Underrated Streaming Sitcom; Ted Revived as Series for Peacock

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 03-23-2021, 02:40 AM   #31
Edward216
Forum 3K Club Member

Rose Nylund on The Golden Girls. They ended up making her dumber than a houseplant.

Ed.
Edward216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:01 AM   #32
Furienna
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward216 View Post
Rose Nylund on The Golden Girls. They ended up making her dumber than a houseplant.

Ed.
That is not entirely true though.
She could be surprisingly smart at times.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:32 AM   #33
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yong Fang View Post
I am a fan of Parks and Recreation but don’t understand why Jerry was bullied so much. That wasn’t funny. The other characters really acted liked jerks. Jerry somewhat got some of them back at his Christmas party but it didn’t really make any sense and it took away whatever fondness I had for the characters. If I was a 55 year old Jerry, I’m not going to get bullied by a 22 year old April. She is young enough to be my daughter and would put her ass in her place.
I totally agree! I mentioned this on another thread or post that Jerry was over-bullied on Parks and Recreation and it was unfunny if anything.

Kind of surprised given that liberals, and let's say Amy Poehler and the cast are mostly that, like to be for causes such as anti-bullying, and most of Jerry's segments are of him being made fun of or bullied outright. But maybe because he was a white man, it was accepted which is hypocritical.

Anyways, I only liked seasons 2-3 or so. By season 4, Aziz (Tom) opening a business, and a lot of other guest stars (like the girl he dated and then that girl's brother who he has a business) became very annoying.

Still never understood why an Indian actor comedian, and Indian American, few on network TV, had to play a role with a name of Tom Haverford with nothing Indian American about him, not a whole lot different than the Mindy character on The Office (albeit they had a Diwali show on The Office and Kelly at least had an Indian last name). The writers might say it's like a Bobby Jindal thing where he is trying to keep an American name for political purposes, but real life politicians like Bobby Jindal don't change the last name too. Perhaps because it was good for too short of a time, or other reasons that bother me about the show, but Parks & Rec is mostly unwatchable as a rerun.

I think Superstore handles the unfavorable character better. Sandra, played by Kaliko Kauah, is at times disliked, but they make her character have an upper hand at getting back or being likeable in a way. Kudos to Superstore in that regards.
favoriteshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #34
cnnbcbs
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by favoriteshow View Post
I totally agree! I mentioned this on another thread or post that Jerry was over-bullied on Parks and Recreation and it was unfunny if anything.

Kind of surprised given that liberals, and let's say Amy Poehler and the cast are mostly that, like to be for causes such as anti-bullying, and most of Jerry's segments are of him being made fun of or bullied outright. But maybe because he was a white man, it was accepted which is hypocritical.

Anyways, I only liked seasons 2-3 or so. By season 4, Aziz (Tom) opening a business, and a lot of other guest stars (like the girl he dated and then that girl's brother who he has a business) became very annoying.

Still never understood why an Indian actor comedian, and Indian American, few on network TV, had to play a role with a name of Tom Haverford with nothing Indian American about him, not a whole lot different than the Mindy character on The Office (albeit they had a Diwali show on The Office and Kelly at least had an Indian last name). The writers might say it's like a Bobby Jindal thing where he is trying to keep an American name for political purposes, but real life politicians like Bobby Jindal don't change the last name too. Perhaps because it was good for too short of a time, or other reasons that bother me about the show, but Parks & Rec is mostly unwatchable as a rerun.
Mike Schur has explained about the Jerry humor that they make clear that the insults roll right off of him and that he's living a sweet life with a practically age-,less Christy Brinkley as wife, beautiful house and family so it was okay. The humor of Jerry's personal life was also that it subverted expectations, which goes back to an.Indian-American going by Tom Havorford.

NeesRadio. Matthew Brock was a clumsy idiot but wasn't completely incpetent. By season five, he was barely tolerated by the other characters. Probably reflecting behind-the-scenes/post-hartman stuff. Also the show could've done a lot more with Catherine Duke before Khandi Alexander got tired of being under utilitiilized and left.
cnnbcbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:45 AM   #35
PracTz

Let's not overlook the bullying and elder abuse of Mr. Feeny on "'Girl Meets World"!

In the episode 'Girl Meets Pluto', Cory suddenly gets a bee in his bonnet and insists that he, Topanga, their daughter Riley, his bestie Shawn and Riley's bestie Maya all drive down from New York to Philadelphia straight away to Mr. Feeny's garden and dig up a time capsule he, Topanga and Shawn had buried there- without making the slightest attempt to notify Mr. Feeny of their arrival much less to ask permission to dig up his garden. All Topanga does is whine that she's getting blisters from not wearing the right kind of shoes while digging.

Anyway, Mr. Feeny catches them having dug up the garden he'd spent decades of hard work tending to and what do they do?! Cory and Shawn scream like 12-year-olds for supposed laughs (the show replays a similar scream when they were that age from 'Boy Meets World' ) while Mr. Feeny threatens the two with 'big boy detention' while Cory whines that he doesn't do well with big boy detention. THEN Riley and Maya make weird cat sounds, WAVE THEIR HANDS IN HIS FACE(!) and do their rendition of Eric's Feeny Call to him- without so much as 'Hello' much less any kind of introduction. Let's not overlook that up to that point as per the script Riley was at least near-stranger and Maya was a total stranger to him AND Mr. Feeny had said and done absolutely NOTHING to them but be their VICTIM and THAT is how they treat him. Oh, and the so-called adults say and do nothing to stop these teens from being so snotty to him (Topanga even SMILES while they do this)! After asking to speak to the girls solo and asking them what kind of father and teacher Cory has been, Mr. Feeny lets them ALL off leave the property sans consequences- despite the fact that NONE of them make the slightest attempt at an apology for tresspassing, vandalism or bullying and they NEVER do for the rest of the annoying show's existence.

Why was tresspassing, vandalism and bullying an old man who hadn't said or done anything to the teens and had been a mentor who all three so-called adults had sung great praises for at the end of 'Boy Meets World' supposed to be funny? BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #36
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnnbcbs View Post
Mike Schur has explained about the Jerry humor that they make clear that the insults roll right off of him and that he's living a sweet life with a practically age-,less Christy Brinkley as wife, beautiful house and family so it was okay. The humor of Jerry's personal life was also that it subverted expectations,
Yeah, I know that. Jerry being able to brush it off all the time, just wasn't realistic, likeable behavior or funny. Or the occasional references to his hot wife, that he has it all with her, or somehow that makes it all okay.

Parks is over a five years old since it went off the air and depictions were less scrutinized, but it wasn't that long ago either.

I still liked a lot of the show, just didn't like the portrayal of Jerry and disliked the basis of the Tom character for other reasons, but he would be funny at least before getting annoying.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #37
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Fanatic

Everyone on Under the Dome- 1st 2 seasons were great. But season 3 had horrible writing that ruined all of the characters, why no one from that list is a contender for my top 1000 scripted characters even though I really liked seasons 1 and 2.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:55 AM   #38
KentB3
Frequent Poster

In this case, both the character and actor:

Dorothy Zbornak/Bea Arthur: The Golden Girls frequently had numerous jokes about how big, unattractive, un-feminine, etc. Dorothy was. Bea Arthur was actually hurt by many of these, taking them as against her in real life!

Carol Seiver/Tracy Gold: On Growing Pains, there were at one point in the series fat jokes about Carol, which were deliberately used to make Tracey Gold lose weight by the producers. Eventually, she lapsed into full-blown anorexia, and her weight dropped to 80 pounds by the end of final season.
KentB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:46 PM   #39
icecream
Cat-tastic and Whiskerlicious
Forum Fanatic

Devan Maguire on Crossing Jordan- Jennifer Finnigan's character was more interesting than a lot of the regulars. Yet the idiot producers killed her off after just 10 episodes.
icecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:18 AM   #40
Lorimar Television
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule View Post
[COLOR="Green"]
Judy Winslow on Family Matters- I had thought Jaimee Foxworth's demanding stage mother was the main reason she appeared less and less until not at all. But after hearing about how her acting was mocked by Jaleel White and Darius McCrary, it seems like a lot of the cast was cruelly out to get her. As immature as Urkel always was, I had assumed Jaleel White was naturally better than that in real life, I had liked his guest appearance on Psych. Mocking her is awful enough, but if he really did lock her in the closet what shameful behavior.
Absolutely, her case was not caused by her or her mom but by Urkel himself.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:37 PM   #41
DEH55
Frequent Poster

It might be Potsie on Happy Days. Once Ron Howard and Donny Most left Potsie became just a punchline on the show. He had no one to hang out with. He didn't even have a girlfriend. They would have him appear and say something stupid, the other characters would make fun of him or look at him in disgust and he would leave. A perfect scene to describe it is when Arnold returned to take over the place. Arnold mentions how everything has changed and everyone is gone and Potsie says "I'm still here" and Arnold reply's "why?".

And then Potsie just vanishes with no goodbye episode and does not return for the finale.
DEH55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #42
Furienna
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorimar Television View Post
Absolutely, her case was not caused by her or her mom but by Urkel himself.
Nope, that is not true.
The truth is that the writers obviously didn't know what to do with her character.
And no, that was hardly Jaleel White's fault.
Sure, he was the big star of the show.
But plenty of characters who were given their time in the spotlight only occasionally interacted with Steve.
And still, they had more chances to do something than Judy did.
The writers had zilch interest in her and just assumed that nobody else cared about her either.
Of course, they might have done things differently if they'd known that people would still complain 28 years later.
But at the time, they saw the Judy character as dead weight and were just happy to get rid of Jaimee.
Her mother was a very convenient excuse to make this happen.
Now, I must agree that they could have tried harder to find storylines for Judy and let Jaimee stay on.
But unfortunately, she was at an awkward age when this happened.
That is, she was too old to be a cute little kid and too young to deal with teen isues at the same time.
And that is why the writers just didn't know what to do with the character, I think.
They just gave up and didn't believe that so many people would miss Judy this much.
I must admit that I too would have liked to see Judy as a teenager instead of so much of Stephan and Myrthle.
But I can't deny that the show went on for five more years without Judy and did fine without her...

Last edited by Furienna; 05-08-2021 at 09:16 AM.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:59 AM   #43
Yong Fang

Frank Burns is probably the winner here from MASH. I would have however written Burns as a very competent doctor who otherwise was him. But a lot of Burns’ problems were of his own making.

Parks and Recreation Jerry Gergich who over the course of the series was called Larry, Gary and other names. Everyone in the office with the exception of Chris and Leslie’s husband Ben bullied him, especially April, a character I otherwise like but was basically a out of high school girl giving grief to an older middle aged man who didn’t deserve it. Jerry got his comeuppance by being married to a gorgeous woman and only inviting certain people to his famous traditional Christmas party. But most of the characters including Ron was a dick to the man, which was kind of a downer to an otherwise stellar show.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #44
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Nope, that is not true.
The truth is that the writers obviously didn't know what to do with her character.
And no, that was hardly Jaleel White's fault.
Sure, he was the big star of the show.
But plenty of characters who were given their time in the spotlight only occasionally interacted with Steve.
And still, they had more chances to do something than Judy did.
The writers had zilch interest in her and just assumed that nobody else cared about her either.
Of course, they might have done things differently if they'd known that people would still complain 28 years later.
But at the time, they saw the Judy character as dead weight and were just happy to get rid of Jaimee.
Her mother was a very convenient excuse to make this happen.
Now, I must agree that they could have tried harder to find storylines for Judy and let Jaimee stay on.
But unfortunately, she was at an awkward age when this happened.
That is, she was too old to be a cute little kid and too young to deal with teen isues at the same time.
And that is why the writers just didn't know what to do with the character, I think.
They just gave up and didn't believe that so many people would miss Judy this much.
I must admit that I too would have liked to see Judy as a teenager instead of so much of Stephan and Myrthle.
But I can't deny that the show went on for five more years without Judy and did fine without her...
It should have been criminal for the writers and producers to just erase a child off a tv show like that. A number of kids go down a dark path in reality, and having a TGIF show normalize children disappearance is troubling. But I suppose we should be happy for the Family Matters cast for their little reunions. No one will say anything about Judy. I suppose we could say Happy Days was just as bad although the son was older.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #45
Furienna
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by favoriteshow View Post
It should have been criminal for the writers and producers to just erase a child off a tv show like that. A number of kids go down a dark path in reality, and having a TGIF show normalize children disappearance is troubling. But I suppose we should be happy for the Family Matters cast for their little reunions. No one will say anything about Judy. I suppose we could say Happy Days was just as bad although the son was older.
It is clear that the writers didn't think about those unfortunate implications at all.
But when you put it that way, I have to say that you have a point.
Furienna is offline   Reply With Quote