Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / View New Posts (No Chit Chat/Chit Chat Only) / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Current Sitcoms > Raven's Home

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

MeTV Summer 2021 Schedule, Monk Joins Lineup; HBO Max Sets Cast for Period Comedy
New Chip 'n' Dale Series Premieres July 28 on Disney+; Cruel Summer Returning for 2nd Season
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of June 21, 2021)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Perfect Strangers Reboot in the Works; New Head of the Class DVD Release
Fri-Yay: Master of None Pivots Genres in Season 3; Highway to Heaven Event Movies Coming to Lifetime; Remembering Frank Bonner of WKRP in Cincinnati
Antenna TV Summer 2021 Schedule; The CW Fall 2021 Premiere Dates
All-Star Cast Set for Paramount+ Animated Comedy Series; Home Makeovers with Marsai Martin

New on DVD/Blu-ray (February-June)

Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series Happy Together - The Complete Series 'Til Death - The Complete Series Fuller House - The Complete Series Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)

02/02 - Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In - The Complete Series (2021 Retail Release)
02/16 - Fam - The Complete Series
02/23 - Betty White's Pet Set - The Complete Series
03/02 - Blue Mountain State - The Complete Series
03/02 - Happy Together - The Complete Series
03/02 - Rick and Morty - The Complete Seasons 1-4 (DVD) (Blu-ray)
04/20 - 'Til Death - The Complete Series
05/11 - Dead to Me - Season Two
06/08 - The Critic - The Complete Series
06/08 - Fuller House - The Fifth and Final Season
06/08 - Fuller House - The Complete Series
06/08 - Our Cartoon President - Season 3
06/15 - The Office - Season 1 (Blu-ray) / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
06/15 - Parks and Recreation - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Junkie

TV Anneliese van der Pol Proud of "Raven's Home" Role, "We're Representing Single Moms"

"Raven's Home" Star "Proud" to Portray Divorced Parent on Disney Channel: "We're Representing Single Moms"
by Andy Swift
July 5, 2017

When Anneliese van der Pol initially heard that Disney Channel was plotting a "That’s So Raven" spin-off, she couldn’t believe it. In fact, she didn’t believe it.

Raven and I first talked about it a year ago when we were both in New York,” van der Pol tells TVLine. “I thought she was just calling me to hang, but then she told me that she and Adam Bonnett were discussing bringing the show back. Long story short, I just didn’t believe her. I was too worried to let it sink in for fear that it might not go through. But then it did go through, and it moved along real quickly. People don’t normally get second chances like this, so I could not be happier.

Picking up nearly 10 years after the original series wrapped its 100-episode run, "Raven’s Home" follows Raven (Raven-Symoné) and Chelsea (van der Pol) as they attempt to navigate the complicated world of parenting as two divorced, single women — a dynamic rarely (if ever) explored on Disney Channel.

Divorce is very much a part of the show, and I could not be more proud to be a part of that,” van der Pol says. “That’s So Raven revolutionized Disney Channel in a lot of ways, some that people may not know, but our show was very diverse. We were a lot of firsts for Disney, especially doing so many episodes. We talk heavily about the characters’ exes, and we’ve talked about possibly doing a show regarding Chelsea’s last name.

In the episode we’re shooting this week, Raven is a little down on herself as a single mother. She feels alone and trapped, and Chelsea kind of has to bring her back to the surface. They’re doing this as two divorced moms, and how great is that? We’re representing single moms all over the world, and I think that’s great.

And you’ll be happy to know that after almost a decade off the air, the ladies haven’t missed a beat, with van der Pol noting that she and Symoné, “haven’t stopped talking to each other, so that chemistry is still there.

The characters, I think, have also stayed in each other’s lives,” van der Pol notes. “And not much about Chelsea has changed. She’s still quite kooky and not always completely with it, but when it comes to more emotional situations, she still has heart like she always did. And Raven’s still getting them both into mischief, it’s just a little more adult mischief. I really don’t think the characters have changed very much, except that they’re now adults and mothers. They have this whole other responsibility of raising children.

In fact, she notes that one of Chelsea’s biggest struggles is attempting to balance her inherently silly demeanor with her new responsibilities as the mother of a young son.

Because Chelsea is so dim and silly not really with it, I have to choose carefully when she can be that way versus when she needs to put her adult hat — her mom hat — on,” she explains.

Chelsea’s son has definitely inherited her heart, but there’s also a nice juxtaposition where he’s actually quite smart. He levels Chelsea out, and he kind of helps her along sometimes. It’s funny to see a nine-year-old child schooling his mother. And he’s just so freaking cute, so it’s hard not to love him.

But even though the show largely revolves around Chelsea and Raven’s respective children — including Raven’s son Booker, who inherits his mother’s ability to see the future — van der Pol says the parents give them a run for their money in the shenanigans department.

I don’t know if the parents are given the opportunity to be as funny as they can be sometimes,” van der Pol admits. “They’re often the B-story, which we are too at times, but Disney also has a lot of confidence in us. We’re allowed to be wacky and zany and funny, because we proved ourselves before. I’m hoping this is a cool show where the parents are cool too, which is not always the case.

http://tvline.com/2017/07/05/thats-s...pol-interview/
Attached Images

JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
MA
Forum Idol

Cannot wait to see this new show!
Old 07-22-2017, 03:25 AM   #3
TMC
Forum Junkie

You Don't Need to Be a Psychic to See Why Orlando Brown Wasn't Invited Back for 'That's So Raven' Reboot
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #4
Race's Girl
Miss Tremendous
Forum Celebrity

Send a message via MSN to Race's Girl Send a message via Yahoo to Race's Girl

Let me guess, Eddie's Booker's dad
Old 07-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #5
MA
Forum Idol

Why isn't Orlando Brown returning?
MA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #6
Olivia Kendall
Occasional Poster

The show is cute but is still finding it's way.

Hopefully it will get funnier with time.
Olivia Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:20 AM   #7
TVShowAddict
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA View Post
Why isn't Orlando Brown returning?
Because he has problems with drugs, drinking, and violence
TVShowAddict is offline   Reply With Quote