Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Happy Days Online / Happy Days links and theme songs at Sitcoms Online / Happy Days Photo Gallery

Happy Days - The Complete First Season

Buy Happy Days - The Complete First Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Second Season

Buy Happy Days - The Second Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Third Season

Buy Happy Days - The Third Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fourth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fourth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Fifth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Fifth Season on DVD
Happy Days - The Sixth Season

Buy Happy Days - The Sixth Season on DVD

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > 1970s Sitcoms > Happy Days

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 23, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 01-03-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
richheart
Frequent Poster

Default HD "Jumped the Shark" long before California

When Happy Days started it out was literally my favorite show, although it was mostly reruns that I caught of it later.

The show really jumped the shark for me when they started filming live. That's when they started playing to the audience, when Fonzie had lost all vulnerability and had become a sort of plastic "superhero." In the early days he was slightly dangerous, but still visibly immature and foolish underneath.

It became worse and worse, sinking to new depths, until eventually Fonzie is jumping over a shark in California.

Even a few years before that, when Fonzie was jumping over the trash cans, the show had already become sensationalistic light fluff.

They would have never had a character like Mork in the early days. By that time that had stopped trying to replicate the time period they were filming in also. All they did was occasionally play a song from that period.
richheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

I don't think Happy Days ever jumped the shark. Enen though I like the Richie years better, the later shows were good too. The first 2 years were good but Happy Days didn't become a hit show until they started filming in front of an audience.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
Stormtracker TF
║▌║█ ║▌║▌│║▌║▌█
Forum Idol

Never Jumped the Shark in my Opinion, their was a few parts of the show that were less than perfect, but i think all the seasons had a good point.
Stormtracker TF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 02:25 PM   #4
richheart
Frequent Poster

I enjoyed the show to some degree in the later years, but mostly because of the older characters like Fonzie.

I was too young to be aware of when it became a hit show. I just remember seeing previews for it when I was in kindergarten. And I know that my family always watched it religiously in the early years. So it was always a big show to me from day one.

To me it was like the Wonder Years, with laugh track.

But can you imagine if the Wonder Years had gone in that direction, and ceased being a realistic show?

Can you imagine them filming in front of an audience?
richheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:07 PM   #5
treky
star trek fan
Forum Veteran

I also agree that it "jumped the shark" after the first season, whenthey started doing it in front of a live audience, and it became "all Fonzie, all the time". At that point, they should have renamed it "The Fonzie show".

Granny: "How much fer one o' them red diamonds?"
clerk: "Madam, those are rubies."
Granny: "OK ask her kin we buy one offa her."
clerk: " The ruby I am talking about is not a lady."
Granny: "Lissen, how she got them diamonds is her business. I'm just sayin' ask her kin we buy one from her."
treky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:41 PM   #6
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by treky
I also agree that it "jumped the shark" after the first season, whenthey started doing it in front of a live audience, and it became "all Fonzie, all the time". At that point, they should have renamed it "The Fonzie show".
Some people wanted to rename it 'Fonzie's Happy Days".
Mr. Television is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 02:00 AM   #7
RichFonz
Forum Regular

When I think about Happy Days, I don't it jumped the shark at all. I enjoy the first two seasons (one camera), but it got better with a live audience. I think Happy Days had a great ensemble cast. We all know about the Fonz, but let's not forget Richie, Joanie, Potsie, Ralph, Howard, Marion, etc. They were all outstanding. Even Lori Beth got significant air time as well. When I think about it, there's no clear cut favorite character. Even when Richie and Ralph left, there would be new stories. Joanie and Chachi took their romance to new heights, though I'm not crazy about Roger or Jenny Piccalo. When Joanie and Chachi were on hiatus for their spin-off, Fonzie would finally find a steady in Ashley. For me, HD started to slip a bit in the final season, when Fonzie and Ashley broke up. I think HD would've had a great ending if they married. If it did, nobody would challenge HD for 1st place in my list. We did get a consolation when Richie returned for 2 eps, and again in the finale when Joanie and Chachi married, and Fonzie adopting a boy. All in all, HD is the top show on my list.
RichFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #8
animalcrackers

I don't think HD jumped the shark, it did have a 'few' so-so episodes but to this day I never tire seeing the show and I've been watching it since it originally aired. But I always loved the 'filmed' version better than the live one.
animalcrackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 01:06 PM   #9
The Modfather
It Sure Does
Forum Veteran

Never jumped the shark.
The Modfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 04:31 PM   #10
Dr. Thong
a/k/a "ACK!"

The show had definitely Jumped The Shark, even before Ron Howard left. There was a seventh season show where Fonzie was dueling with Melvin Scratch (the devil) over Chachi's soul. It was a stupid episode and I would have let Melvin keep Chachi's soul and get him the hell out of Milwaukee.

But the thing that cemented it was Ron and Donny Most leaving - the show went really downhill after that. The show had gotten too old and was focusing on weak characters to fill the void created by Richie's and Ralph's absence.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:06 PM   #11
hawaii five-o
Book 'Em, Dano

The last season wasn't very good, but still it's better than most of the junk that's on today.
hawaii five-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 09:35 PM   #12
Happipuppi
First Time Poster

Thumbs up AAAAAyyyyyyy. Cool it!

Alright! I may not be the Fonz but I'm here to set the record straight! Happy Days would never have lasted if it hadn't gone "live" and along with that comes the unescapable thing of playing to the audience. Most 70's sitcoms were like that,not just this show.

Fonzie beoming a bigger character and doing crazy things were all a part of who he was supposed to be. A guy who raised himself and has an attitude that he can actually back up. Jumping things on a motorcycle and water-skis isn't the smartest thing in the world but in the case of the shark he was challenged. True,anyone else would've backed down and let the guy be jerk but Fonzie felt he had to shut the guy up.

Ron & D. Most leaving was surprising but in Most's case,he couldn't do any more with Ralph because the character had gone from high school Soph. to a twenty-something college man. The zany Malph had grown up and once that happened,his leaving was obvious. Ron Howard had done 3 TV series by 1980,Andy Griffith,a second short lived show and this series. He wanted to branch out and direct films and TV. Good thing he did or no one would have taken him seriously in that line of work.

As for the show after them,it went on just fine. I think people make too much out of actors leaving a show. All the actors who joined later were very capable and were treated with as much respect by those who remained.

Happy Days always will be my favorite sitcom and Fonzie will always remain the hero of my early years. Lastly,no sitcom or TV show is perfect,it was fun while it lasted and is still fun in reruns. Later!-amundo!!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:00 PM   #13
robyrob
certified wackball#3
Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Thong
The show had definitely Jumped The Shark, even before Ron Howard left. There was a seventh season show where Fonzie was dueling with Melvin Scratch (the devil) over Chachi's soul. It was a stupid episode and I would have let Melvin keep Chachi's soul and get him the hell out of Milwaukee.

But the thing that cemented it was Ron and Donny Most leaving - the show went really downhill after that. The show had gotten too old and was focusing on weak characters to fill the void created by Richie's and Ralph's absence.
i agree - somewhere around the 7th season it jumped.
I dont think that it means that it wasnt any good after that, but that it just wasn't the SAME after that.
robyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 01:36 PM   #14
Steve's Roadhouse
Frequent Poster

Very early. I think Fonzie was better suited to be a minor character. He became famous, remember, mainly for a lot of cliche sayings that he had. I like when the show revolves around the 3 boys in High School. There was a steady, but slow, decline right from the get go. Eventually, there was very little sense that you were in the Late 50s/Early 60s.
Steve's Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 06:24 PM   #15
FonzForever
A classic
Forum Regular

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But basically this a "purist's" thing. Most purists like the show prior to the live audience. The truth is though they are outnumbered by the people that contiued liked the afterwards. Meaning Happy Days wouldn't have lasted as long. Did they go to far sometimes? Absolutely. A lot of those things have been mentioned. I'd add the Dude Ranch episodes to that.
If there was a time the show jumped the shark it was when Arnold's burned down. It was such a big part of the show's atomosphere. I firmly belive that later episodes would have benefited form the old Arnold's still being around. I mean it was a diner! Burning it down for something "more modern" was one the stupidest decisons ever made. There are still plenty of diners to this day. There was no reason for that change.
I've pointed this out before. The whole reasoning was that "it was the 60's". Then why did American Graffitti(the reason HD was picked up as series) have a similar diner and it was set in 1963? Duh.
FonzForever is offline   Reply With Quote