Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 23, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #1
TMC
Forum Celebrity

Question Why are shows about high schoolers infinitely more popular than shows about college

There are of course a ton of shows about high schoolers, and generally those shows fall apart if they ever try to tackle the college years.

You have comparatively few shows that even try to use a college setting compared to the endless options that take place in high school. The post-college young adults living in the city is also a popular set up, but not college?

It does happen, but rarely and generally not that successfully.

Why?
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:24 PM   #2
Heenan Fan

Because high schoolers are still kids. Everything is still taboo. First kiss, first sexual experience, parents rules, etc. College students are adults. They are free to do whatever they want to pretty much. Plus most college students are annoying, entitled, rich d-bags.

OK, you hot a pencil? I want 20 pounds, no make that 40 pounds of your best ribs, THE JUMBOS! And I want some BBQ sauce...a GALLON!

I'm having a party. My mother's out on parole." - Hawkeye
Heenan Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:15 AM   #3
Babalu

Most college students are rich? Really? Then how come they can't pay back their student loans?

I just nailed Mrs. Trumbull
Babalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:20 AM   #4
LaBestia
Crazy For Dax Shepard

In the TV world today high school based sitcoms are indeed more popular than college based sitcoms because to make a successful high school based sitcom today is a lot like making soup by finding the perfect ingredients to put in the soup. By finding the actors/actresses that are tailor-made to play the characters a high school based sitcom can be successful for a long while. Like for example to make a high school sitcom you have to have characters with personalities like a character who's smart a character who's a genius a female character who is a bubbly cheerleader and the girl next door and another female character who fits the smart yet athletic personality and the most important part a male character who is known as the cute guy who every girl crushes on. But if you look at high school based sitcoms today you'll see that they are very different than other high school sitcoms and seem to have characters that lack personality. Take for example in the 80's the sitcom Square Pegs debuted and started the trend of a new genre of sitcoms that the new generation of people would soon watch. But that was proved when Saved By The Bell debuted in 1989 and when Saved By The Bell premiered the first three seasons had a sitcom vibe but as the series continued Saved By The Bell switched storylines and went from sitcom to teen drama and even with the new change in storyline Saved By The Bell continued to be a mega hit and had many spin-offs including Saved By The Bell The New Class and The College Years. Another high school sitcom that was successful was Head Of The Class and when ABC launched it in 1986 Head Of The Class had characters with different personalities and was a mega hit but also had a few episodes with drama storylines too. And let's not forget about the show that started the trend of high school dramas Degrassi and when Degrassi first aired in Canada it was a hit spun off from the series The Kids Of Degrassi Street and spun off many different series such as Degrassi Junior High and when Nickelodeon created The-N "Now TeenNick" a new version of Degrassi was made and turned the show into a teen drama different from the high school based sitcom that made Degrassi a hit. But as the 90's began high school based shows and sitcoms were still huge but when A Different World was a hit it started the college based sitcoms and when The Parkers came out it was a college based sitcom that featured a mother and daughter attending college together and was a spin-off of Moesha and just like the Parkers was a spin-off of Moesha A Different World was a spin-off of The Cosby Show. As with high school sitcoms the college sitcom genre became hugely popular as well. But if there was still high school and college based sitcoms today they would be still huge and be a treat for anyone to enjoy
Bestie
Old 08-01-2019, 04:03 AM   #5
Schmoopie
Future Oregonian
Forum Veteran

I guess because in high school everyone is kind of forced to be together in the same building and so forth and it's more structured. There's more pressure and in high school you live with your parents. In college, you are more spread out, sometimes far away from family and friends and you make new friends. But TV show wise, it's probably easier to do high school because of the above reasons that I stated, where you can have the same cast and put them in different situations.

September 23, 1961-January 14, 2019

Schmoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
Yong Fang

In America for most people, high school holds something special to them, which is why even now there are high school reunions every five years. High school is a special time of discovery, or learning how to be an adult, first jobs, first intimate relationships, friendships that sometimes last a lifetime.

College just doesn’t have that specialness, and people associate college with either studying or getting drunk. Frats. Sex. Not much innocent about it like high school.
Yong Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:05 AM   #7
SitcomsHeydayfan

Simple.

High school is a lot more cliquish while college isn't really cliquish at all. Plus you can get lost at most big colleges while high school is a much more intimate environment.
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #8
stevea
LITB/FKB Fan

If they were to make a college sitcom today what would it be about? Kids running to their safe spaces when they're "triggered?" Going to their next class that has noting to do with preparing them for the real world? Having a sit-in at the dean's office?
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:53 AM   #9
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitcomsHeydayfan View Post
Simple.

High school is a lot more cliquish while college isn't really cliquish at all. Plus you can get lost at most big colleges while high school is a much more intimate environment.
I would disagree with you about colleges not being cliquish. Maybe it's different if the students are all "grown" adults, but it's not the same when the students come right out of high school (18-21).

The cafeteria at the college I attended was just like in high school. The fraternity/sorority had their own private seating area, you had the nerds/geeks with their Pokemon and Magic cards, the drama/theater students were all together.

You also had tables that were organized by various sports like track and swimming, and others organized by race/religion. One table had Muslim girls all wearing hijabs, another table were all Jewish, and others were all Black or Asian students.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 AM   #10
SitcomsHeydayfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I would disagree with you about colleges not being cliquish. Maybe it's different if the students are all "grown" adults, but it's not the same when the students come right out of high school (18-21).

The cafeteria at the college I attended was just like in high school. The fraternity/sorority had their own private seating area, you had the nerds/geeks with their Pokemon and Magic cards, the drama/theater students were all together.

You also had tables that were organized by various sports like track and swimming, and others organized by race/religion. One table had Muslim girls all wearing hijabs, another table were all Jewish, and others were all Black or Asian students.
That's not what I meant. School cafeterias all over America are segregated.

I'm talking about how in high school you have the cool kids clique, the hot girls clique, the jocks, the dorks and nerds, etc. That doesn't exist in college or at least not the vast majority of colleges.

I went to Mizzou where there are 2 tables in the cafeteria where the black kids hang out. Been like that for DECADES. I never saw a SINGLE Hijab wearing student at Mizzou in the early 2000s much less their own section in the cafeteria.

What college did you go to with a bunch of hijabbers in the cafeteria??
SitcomsHeydayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 AM   #11
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
That's not what I meant. School cafeterias all over America are segregated.

I'm talking about how in high school you have the cool kids clique, the hot girls clique, the jocks, the dorks and nerds, etc. That doesn't exist in college or at least not the vast majority of colleges.
Of course those exist in college. It was more noticeable in the cafeteria, but all of those groups pretty much hung out all of the time.

Quote:
I went to Mizzou where there are 2 tables in the cafeteria where the black kids hang out. Been like that for DECADES. I never saw a SINGLE Hijab wearing student at Mizzou in the early 2000s much less their own section in the cafeteria.

What college did you go to with a bunch of hijabbers in the cafeteria??
I don't really want to say what colleges I went to (privacy) but one was in Downtown Brooklyn and the other in Manhattan. NYC is very diverse and has a good mix of all races/religions. I'm not surprised as I don't think Missouri has a high Muslim population.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:16 AM   #12
jimpickens
Forum Regular

Because high school has more of a oligarch structure and is more cliquish than college.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
favoriteshow
Frequent Poster

The high school years are definitely more special and interesting.

However, it seems that typically young adult actors (age 20+) are cast as these high school students in these shows and movies, rather than actual teenagers under 20 yrs age. That to me can be annoying because it gives the viewer a sense that high school kids are more mature than they are typically.

I enjoyed the movie Love, Simon. However I could tell the lead actor was older than a high school kid that he was playing. He seemed too mature. Lo and behold, I looked it up while I was watching the movie and Nick Robinson is 24 now. He was 21 or 22 years old when acting in the role as a high school student.

Age also was obvious with Luke Perry and more with Gabrielle Carteris on the original 90210.
favoriteshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #14
JamesG
Freakshow
Forum Celebrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by favoriteshow View Post
The high school years are definitely more special and interesting.

However, it seems that typically young adult actors (age 20+) are cast as these high school students in these shows and movies, rather than actual teenagers under 20 yrs age. That to me can be annoying because it gives the viewer a sense that high school kids are more mature than they are typically.

I enjoyed the movie Love, Simon. However I could tell the lead actor was older than a high school kid that he was playing. He seemed too mature. Lo and behold, I looked it up while I was watching the movie and Nick Robinson is 24 now. He was 21 or 22 years old when acting in the role as a high school student.

Age also was obvious with Luke Perry and more with Gabrielle Carteris on the original 90210.

^ I think that's mainly done due to child labor laws and you can do more material if you have adults playing minors rather than having actual minors on set (like for sex scenes).
Old 08-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #15
jimpickens
Forum Regular

It was pretty effective to an extent in the 70's to the mid 80's when the drinking age was still 18 or 19 depending on the state you lived in it was easier to get young adults 18-20 to play high school students 15-17 where sex drugs and alcohol were involved ( mostly talking about movies both theatrical and made for TV) than to have actual minors portray those roles the only show where you actually saw real teenagers ( under 18) were on Disney or Nickelodeon or an after school special.
jimpickens is offline   Reply With Quote