Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > General Sitcoms News and Discussion

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 07-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #1
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Default Are there too many networks?

I’m old enough to remember when ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS were the only networks to watch. Then in 1979 we got a “box” we could use to access the upstart networks Nickelodeon and WTCG (soon to become WTBS) and maybe a couple of others. Now with hundreds of “networks”, it seems like there’s too much chaff and not enough wheat. Maybe it will get to the point where each of us will have his or her own private network.

Last edited by Schmo; 07-29-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
mandyrenee
I'm a "Lipstick Lesbian"
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo View Post
I’m old enough to remember when ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS were the only networks to watch. Then in 1979 we got a “box” we could use to access the upstart networks Nickelodeon and WTCG (soon to become WTBS) and maybe a couple of others. Now with hundreds of “networks”, it seems like there’s too much chaff and not enough wheat. Maybe it will get to the point where each of us will have his or here own private network.
I guess you could have your own private network if you have a huge dvd collection.
mandyrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
RetroGuy2000
Julie,Julie Anne,&Felice 4Ever

I grew up in the era of the Big Three Networks. Whatever one network did, another one copied. Addams Family, The Munsters. Bewitched, Jeannie. Family Ties, Growing Pains. Brady Bunch, Partridge Family.

This is a new Golden Age of Television. Different that the first, to be sure, but certainly many more options for viewers. You're not limited to three choices anymore.
RetroGuy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Mr. Television
16 Years at Sitcoms Online
Forum Legend

I don't watch any of them anymore other than for sports. Nothing but trash on.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
Tubehead

I remember when my mom & dad didn't have cable & we only had 3 channels we had 4 11 &10!!
Tubehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:52 PM   #6
stevea
LITB/FKB Fan

Right, in Philadelphia there were channels 3 (NBC), 6 (ABC), 10 (CBS), and later 12 (PBS). With a rooftop antenna we could pick up 7 WABC in New York, in southern New Jersey. 6 did not carry a lot of ABC shows, so it was good to be able to pull in 7, although it was snowy.

Later they added 3 independent UHF stations, 17, 29, and 48, which required an additional rooftop antenna.

But to answer the question, there are WAY too many networks.
stevea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
mandyrenee
I'm a "Lipstick Lesbian"
Frequent Poster

Back 30 years ago growing up I didn't have cable or satellite. We had ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and one independent station. Back then I was able to find a lot more to watch on TV with only 5 channels than I am today. Today we have Direct TV and most of the channels are pretty much useless to me. If it were strictly up to me I would probably just cut the cord.

It doesn't do a whole lot of good to have all of these networks when there is nothing on them worth watching. Especially when a lot of these networks show the same programs that are on other networks.
mandyrenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #8
Tubehead

my cousins probably don't know that you had to get up early on saturday moorings!! now they got 24 hours cartoons channels!! I remmeber waiting all week long unitl saturday & getting up around 6:00 am!! & we didn't have online streaming severs liked netflix or dvrs! if you wanted to tape you would use an vsh!! !
Old 08-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
LUNCH

Way,way too many.And I don't even consider most channels these days networks.Frankly I don't know what to call them.Then add things like streaming and who know what else into the mix,what a mess.
LUNCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
LUNCH

And by the way I am also old enough to remember when there were just the 3 networks,PBS and a few local channels.And television,every single thing about it was a thousand times better.And you rarely heard anyone say there is nothing good to watch.In fact the majority of TV shows that I still watch today were made back in those days.Less was so much more.

Last edited by LUNCH; 08-06-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #11
Schmo
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUNCH View Post
And by the way I am also old enough to remember when there just the 3 networks,PBS and a few local channels.And television,every single thing about it was a thousand times better.And you rarely heard anyone say there is nothing good to watch.
With fewer networks back then, the flops were more visible than they are now. Remember “Supertrain” and “The Star Wars Holiday Special”?
Schmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #12
LUNCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo View Post
With fewer networks back then, the flops were more visible than they are now. Remember “Supertrain” and “The Star Wars Holiday Special”?
I remember both.Everything on TV back then was more visible. Also back then television made people household names.It was a big deal just to be on TV.That is certainly not the case anymore.These days being on TV means nothing and it certainly does not make anyone even close to a household name anymore.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #13
AB
Supernatural - Dean
Forum Celebrity

I like having the many choices the network and cable channels offer. The main network channels here are CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, The CW and PBS but if you have an antenna you can get around 10 more channels for free.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #14
Tubehead

im not really big sports fan!! but i don't under stand why do the local stations show sports!! we got sevarl different sports channels!! what i don't under stand! is why they show golf!! when we got golf channel!!
Old 08-08-2019, 09:18 PM   #15
mets82

There are too many networks with no substance. A lot of the channels are just marathons of a tv show or shows.
Honestly, I hardly watch any current tv with the exception of a few shows.

Please check out my blog. I vent on all things. TV, sports etc. you name it. Its also a work in progress. Check out and see what you think.
mets82 is offline   Reply With Quote