Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

SitcomsOnline Digest: Reboots for The Office and Even Hogan's Heroes?; The Boondocks Returning for Two New Seasons on HBO Max
Fri-Yay: Primetime Emmy Predictions for Comedy; Paramount Heads to Paris for New Comedy
Pop TV Renews Schitt's Creek for Sixth and Final Season, Fifth Season Marathon to Air on Sept. 21; HBO Max Revives The Boondocks
NBC Streaming Service Peacock Sets Reboots of Saved by the Bell & Punky Brewster; The Big Bang Theory Coming to HBO Max, While TBS Renews Through 2028
ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 11-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Default The Search of Helen Elas Conka (Girl who helped 15 U.S Airmen in WWII)

Just saw this story today for the first time and thought it was amazing. To see how this young girl who had so much trouble in her life help and care for these fallen soldiers was truly heartwarming.

There doesn't appear to be an update whether or not she ever found the airmen again after emigrating to the U.S later in her life unfortunately but it was such a beautiful story.
sdb4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

I've asked about this repeatedly. Given the military's careful records, it seems a simple matter having date and place to know what planes went down in that area during that time, then learn who was on them and whether they ever turned up again, but searches turn up no one who has followed up on this. Maybe we should identify some military organization or history enthusiast who would either know or be willing to check.
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:40 AM   #3
Charlie99909
El Sicko
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori aka ChrisSCrush
I've asked about this repeatedly. Given the military's careful records, it seems a simple matter having date and place to know what planes went down in that area during that time, then learn who was on them and whether they ever turned up again, but searches turn up no one who has followed up on this. Maybe we should identify some military organization or history enthusiast who would either know or be willing to check.

I believe it is a bit harder than that. If memory serves, there was a big fire in the 60's that destroyed a lot of records from ww1 and ww2.
Charlie99909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
PracTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie99909
I believe it is a bit harder than that. If memory serves, there was a big fire in the 60's that destroyed a lot of records from ww1 and ww2.

That's true. Some months ago, we were hoping to have my WWII vet father buried in a vet's cemetery but were told that since that fire destroyed the Army's records, the ONLY way to accomplish that goal was to hope that he DID have it (and save it) AND that the PTB would consider that a legit document and not a forgery. Thankfully, it ALL worked out but imagine those vets and families who somehow have no records on their own to prove their service.
PracTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
WishfulDreamer

I fear that the men were discovered and killed by the Nazis. But if the priest survived and Helen remembers his name, perhaps he could have been asked? He's likely not living anymore even if he did survive the war. I wish we could know his name and what became of him.
WishfulDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #6
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulDreamer
I fear that the men were discovered and killed by the Nazis. But if the priest survived and Helen remembers his name, perhaps he could have been asked? He's likely not living anymore even if he did survive the war. I wish we could know his name and what became of him.
We basically have two options to help find out. Find the next of kin because they are the only ones who could probably find the info and even that would be a crap shoot unless they already know something. Or you can try to do a freedom
Of information request but I don't think that would help.

I know there is a national center in St. Louis that keep archived records on military personnel. But you have to have the member or next of kin prove to them identity to get records if they exist. But this info is good for anyone who knows a vet that want their records.

Last edited by DALLASTEXAN!!; 11-28-2015 at 11:17 PM.
DALLASTEXAN!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:34 AM   #7
Cori aka ChrisSCrush

Would not any member of the families of any of the men involved have looked into the story at some point?
Cori aka ChrisSCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:18 AM   #8
DALLASTEXAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cori aka ChrisSCrush
Would not any member of the families of any of the men involved have looked into the story at some point?
Not sure. Did UM ever update this case?
Old 11-29-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

On the UM wiki page there isn't any update so no I guess.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #10
DALLASTEXAN!!

It's possible the family never heard of the broadcast. I know it's hard to believe that someone out there would not have known but there Were/are quite a few lost love cases that did remain unsolved.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #11
unsolved243
Frequent Poster

I don't know if anyone's noticed that this case is on Amazon Prime (Season 6, Episode 22). I was surprised to see that the case was updated; it said that after the story aired, she was able to reconnect with the men that she had saved. Unfortunately, there wasn't much else mentioned about the men, but it's great to know that the case was solved!
unsolved243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
1990 UM fan
Unsolved Mysteries fanatic

Is she still living? She'd be 90 now if so.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #13
McBevis
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 UM fan
Is she still living? She'd be 90 now if so.
I did a quick search and found exactly one listing for a Helen Conka (her married name) in Peoria, Arizona. She is 90 years old, and so far, checked a couple of the major death sites and did not find anything, so hopefully that means she is still alive.
McBevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #14
sdb4884
UM Meme Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBevis
I did a quick search and found exactly one listing for a Helen Conka (her married name) in Peoria, Arizona. She is 90 years old, and so far, checked a couple of the major death sites and did not find anything, so hopefully that means she is still alive.
Hopefully
Old 07-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
Unsolvency85
First Time Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsolved243
I don't know if anyone's noticed that this case is on Amazon Prime (Season 6, Episode 22). I was surprised to see that the case was updated; it said that after the story aired, she was able to reconnect with the men that she had saved. Unfortunately, there wasn't much else mentioned about the men, but it's great to know that the case was solved!
Of all the UM segments I have watched, this is the first one that has genuinely moved me to tears. I watched it on Amazon Prime today and I'm so glad to see the update at the end that she did eventually manage to make contact with the men after everything they all went through - especially Helen's suffering at the hands of the Nazis.

Even better to see she was recognised by the President at the White House for her courage and sacrifice in hiding and saving those soldiers.
Unsolvency85 is offline   Reply With Quote