Sitcoms Online - Main Page / Message Boards - Main Page / News Blog / Photo Galleries / DVD Reviews / Buy TV Shows on DVD and Blu-ray

View Today's Active Threads / View New Posts / Mark All Boards Read / Chit Chat Board

Unsolved Mysteries Online Main Page / Message Board / Show History / Episode Guide (1987-2002) / Expanded Episode Guide #2 / Expanded Episode Guide #3 / Case Updates / Wiki / Official Site / Related Links / True Crime Shows Message Board / All Other Cases Message Board / Buy The Best of Unsolved Mysteries DVD / Buy Unsolved Mysteries - The Ultimate Collection DVD

Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Original Robert Stack Episodes - The Complete First Season on Amazon Instant Video
/
Season 2
/ Season 3 / Season 4 /
Season 5
/ Season 6 / Season 7 /
Season 8
/ Season 9 / Season 10 /
Season 11
/ Season 12 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina Episodes

Watch or Buy Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina - The Complete First Season Episodes on Amazon Instant Video
/ Season 2 / Season 3 / Season 4 / Season 5 / Season 6 / Season 7 / Season 8 / Watch on YouTube

Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: UFOs DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Ghosts DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Miracles DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Psychics DVD Set
Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends

Buy Unsolved Mysteries: Strange Legends DVD Set

Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums  

Go Back   Sitcoms Online Message Boards - Forums > Unsolved Mysteries

Notices

SitcomsOnline.com News Blog Headlines Twitter Facebook Instagram RSS

ABC Sets Reunions of Cheers, The Drew Carey Show, Girlfriends, Charmed, Castle and More; NBC Renews Titan Games for Season 2
Nick Slates Are You Afraid of the Dark? Premiere; Spectrum Originals Drama Goes Back Into Production for Season 2 in 2020
Sitcom Stars on Talk Shows; This Week in Sitcoms (Week of September 16, 2019)
SitcomsOnline Digest: Party of Five Reboot Coming in January; Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey to Reunite for Office Ladies Podcast
Fri-Yay: We're Up Schitt's Creek; Comedy Central Renews South Park for 3 More Seasons
Antenna TV Acquires That Girl for January and Perhaps More; Disney Just Rolls With It Once Again
HBO Gets 2nd Season of McBride and Goodman Comedy; HGTV and Bradys Go Digital

New on DVD/Blu-ray (July/August/September)

Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season The Good Place - The Complete Third Season Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season

07/08 - Man with a Plan - Season Two
07/09 - Broad City - Season 5
07/09 - Broad City - The Complete Series
07/09 - Life in Pieces - The Complete Fourth Season
07/09 - Speechless - The Complete Third Season
07/16 - Eight Is Enough - The Complete First Season
07/17 - The Practice (1976) - The Complete Series (WBShop.com)
07/23 - Brockmire - The Complete First Season
07/23 - What I Like About You - The Complete First Season
07/30 - The Good Place - The Complete Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Third Season
08/06 - Caroline in the City - The Fourth Season
08/13 - I Love Lucy - Colorized Collection
08/13 - Leave it to Beaver - Seasons One and Two
08/20 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Season Six
08/27 - Baskets - The Complete Season Four
08/27 - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - The Complete Thirteenth Season
09/03 - Bob's Burgers - The Complete 9th Season
09/03 - Fresh Off the Boat - The Complete Fifth Season
09/03 - The Goldbergs - The Complete Sixth Season
09/03 - Single Parents - The Complete Season One
09/03 - Young Sheldon - The Complete Second Season
09/04 - What We Do in the Shadows - The Complete First Season
09/10 - American Dad! - Volume 14
09/10 - The Jetsons - The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray) (WBShop.com)
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume One
09/11 - My Three Sons - The Fourth Season - Volume Two
09/17 - Friends - The Complete Series (25th Anniversary)
09/17 - Modern Family - The Complete Tenth Season
More TV DVD Releases / DVD Reviews Archive / SitcomsOnline Digest

Old 02-26-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

Default Your brushes with possible killers?

Have you ever had a brush with fate--an encounter with or, or observed, a suspicious person--like many of those who turn out to be serial killers/abductors (For example, Oba Chandler, Angela Hammond's abductor)--and you feel in retrospect that wisdom saved you?

My father related to me a creepy event which happened to us around 1995-1996. We had taken a vacation and were midway between home and wherever we had went (upstate somewhere) and had rented a hotel room. A very shady, creepy looking man, was observed numerous times over a period of hours walking back and forth across the parking lot, looking to see if people noticed him, making sure he wasn't being watched (he didn't realiz that my father was watching him from the window) and this man walked back and forth to our car specifically, as if scoping it out.

My father decided to make his presence felt and looked down on the packing lot (we were in a room on the second floor which had a little balcony, so anyone looking from the balcony area or whatever could be seen from below). At seeing that my father had noticed him, the man fled.
CuriousMind90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
crystaldawn

Not sure if this is what you're talking about but I did briefly meet someone who not long after committed murder. I was working as a receptionist at an electrical company on a jobsite at a refinery. The head of safety was named Terry Dixon. He had been divorced but still had custody of his ex-wife's son. He was a troubled kid but Terry seem to just want to help him. He came to the office one day and he introduced us to him. He seemed like a very friendly kid. The job was temporary and ended a few months later. Then probably 2 years later I was watching our local news and see a picture of Terry Dixon! I was completely shocked to hear that Terry and his son had moved to Las Vegas and his son had shot him in the head one night while he slept, killing him! I even have a picture of this kid in the other pictures I took from that job and its chilling to know I'm looking at the picture of a killer.
crystaldawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
unsolved243
Frequent Poster

My mother told me this story that when she was a teenager that she went to this party with one of her friends. She didn't know anyone else at the party other than her friend. Later that night, she and her friend were driven home by these three men whom she didn't know. The three guys dropped my mother's friend off at her house and then she was alone in the car with these guys that she didn't even know. As they were at a stop sign where if you made a right you'd be on my mother's street. She told the driver "Just make a right her" and then the driver said "What if i don't want to make a right?" And then my mother was very frightened. Then, the guys just said they were joking around, but my mother wasn't sure to believe them and she got out at the stop sign.
I always wonder what would have happened if she did stay in the car, I might not even be here!
unsolved243 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
MariposaLKB
She flies alone

Send a message via Yahoo to MariposaLKB

I worked in a billing office that--among others--did the billing for Dr. John Boyle. He was the Ohio doctor who killed his wife Noreen and buried her under fresh concrete in the basement of a new home in PA that he was planning to live in with his mistress Sherri--who signed the sales contract along with him as if she were Noreen OMG ("N. Sherri Boyle")! Saw the doctor once or twice, but for the most part the doctors we billed for didn't come in to our building, which was a couple blocks from the hospital. But I saw Noreen several times--her and their adopted Asian daughter who was about 2-3 at that time and was "joined at her hip". She always spoke to the general population of the office in a very friendly way, in addition to meeting privately with the bosses in their offices. The Boyles also had a son who was about 10-12 and heard the argument that precipitated the murder!

She was a sweet lady....

Was this one on UM? It would have been in the early 90's.
But no one ever listens...

-Butterfly (Mariposa)
MariposaLKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

This case occured long before UM. There isn't a lot about it online, but I remember it vividly as it happened so close to home, and I had met the man.
It is Kenneth ray Wright. He brutally murdered an 8 year old girl, Camellia Jo Hand. I was 12 when it happened.

Wright lived near us and his 2 step children rode my school bus. Then they moved away to nearby Ocoee where the crime was committed. Not long before it happened, I was with my Dad on a Saturday morning and he stopped at Wright's house for some reason. We were in the driveway talking. I thought he was a nice man and there was no creep factor at all. It wasn't long after that that the murder occured.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/keyword/kenneth-ray

Also, I was in and out of the Zeigler (Tommy) furniture store as a child. As well as Eunice being a teacher at my elementary school at the time she and Tommy were dating and got married.
Killarney Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
nohwheregirl
THE Mystery Machine

I don't have any brushes with murderers (besides from when I used to volunteer at a prison...but that's another story), but I do have a brush with a probable rapist.

There was a guy that I knew from grad school. My friends and I would run into him all the time at this one bar and we all became friendly. He chatted me up about my studies and we agreed to meet for coffee a few times to study together. He even came to my house once for a party. The consensus among my friends about him was "harmless dork." There was nothing romantic between us...he was a nice guy, but I kind of found him annoying and I didn't really think about him much.

One day I was listening to the radio and I heard his name. He had been arrested for breaking into an ex-girlfriend's apartment and setting up video equipment in her bedroom to spy on her. It turns out that he had like HUNDREDS of videos of ex-girlfriends, many of them non-consensual videos. He was eventually convicted of of spying on these women (or at least the ones that lived in-state...he had moved from out of state a few years before). He got probation.

Here's the REALLY scary part: amongst all these videos, they found a video of him having sex with an unidentified woman who was bound up and upset and he was threatening her with a knife. The police, as far as I know were not able to identify the woman. He claimed that it was just "role playing," but the police don't believe him. Because the woman hasn't come forward, they haven't been able to bring charges.

You guys, I HAD THIS GUY IN MY HOUSE. You just never know what's going on in people's heads or behind closed doors. There are people out there who are very disturbed and are very good at hiding it.

P.S. This guy was studying online dating for his graduate degree. He taught a few classes at the local community college on how to successfully set up an online dating profile. He even offered to help me set one up (I declined). No doubt he used this tactic to prey on women.
nohwheregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

You very lucky he didn't harm you.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #8
Thiussat
Forum Regular

As for me, I have a story about a murderer that I knew when I was a teenager, but I am not going to post many details in these open forums (but I will tell you in PM if you like). Basically, my friends and I knew him when we were teens (he was much older than us). He ended up killing a guy and got away with it. He also told us he had killed other people in other states. We didn't believe his stories at first, but after we heard about the killing in our area, we knew he was probably telling the truth. It is a lot more complicated than this and I am leaving a lot of details out so I can keep this post somewhat vague. We didn't witness anything, but knew he had probably acted maliciously. We just couldn't prove it because all we had were his stories. And remember, we were teens so we were very scared of this whole incident.

I also have a story about a friend of mine that is similar to unsolved243's story above. This woman I know said that when she was in her teens that she and a girlfriend went out with these two guys they knew (this was in the 70's). She said that as they drove around she noticed that her friend was in the backseat getting raped by the other guy. My friend said that she didn't know what to do because she was scared that the same would happen to her. The guy driving didn't seem to care that his friend was raping someone in the backseat. Eventually my friend began screaming for the guy to pull the car over, which he eventually did. Both girls got out of the car and walked home. My friend said her friend was crying hysterically on the way home. They never reported the incident. My friend said that even though she has kept in constant contact with this woman for the past 30 years, this subject has NEVER came up once.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
joshypiano
Stack-a-holic
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to joshypiano Send a message via MSN to joshypiano Send a message via Yahoo to joshypiano

My mother actually met two murderers. Both quite famous.

When she was out in California in the 1970's she met Jim Jones the leader of the People's Temple. She thought him very charismatic and nice and didn't think anything too odd about him anymore than she would any other preacher (shes an atheist so all preachers are weird to her).

And I beleive it was not too long before he was killed by his young accomplices that my mother met Houston mass murderer Dean Corll. She remembered him and one or two other young men driving up in a van attempting to purchase some drugs off of her.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #10
Steve W.
Forum Regular

Someone that was a grade younger than me in high school that I occasionally played basketball against back then just murdered someone last year (he's in jail and I believe his trial is pending but he's almost certainly guilty).
Steve W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Killarney Rose
Forum Regular

My husband grew up with a killer. Not a famous one though. His mom liked to tell a story about when my husband was young. He and another kid were in the yard playing. His mom called him to come in, but he didn't want to. So his friend told hime to run the other way. He did, and his mom came and got him and gave him a spanking and his little friend ran home and didn't get in trouble. A few years ago, there was a murder here in town. A man shot his wife in cold blood in front of their grandson in their front yard because she was going to leave him for beating her. My husband asked me if I remembered the story about the kid telling him to run from his mom. I said," yes." He said,"well, that was the guy that told me to run." So I guess he was bad even when he was a kid.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #12
rerungirl
Forum Regular

Very interesting answers to this question! After my junior year of college I decided to stay on campus and take some summer classes. I got a job at a local Pizza Hut, and took the bus one morning to attend a meeting for new employees. It was a beautiful summer day and, rather than take a bus home, I thought I'd just walk back to my dorm. As I was walking home, a man in a light colored newer model car pulled up beside me and asked if I wanted a ride. I thanked him for the offer but told him I was enjoying my walk. The guy followed along side me for several blocks, trying to convince me he was a "nice guy" and was just trying to be friendly. I really got creeped out by his persistance, but this was before cell phones and I wasn't sure what to do. Finally I stopped at a house with a big porch, told him it was my boyfriend's house and waved goodbye. He drove off then, but I saw him pounding his hands on the steering wheel in anger. I remember he had an out-of-state license plate. Looking back after all these years, it still gives me the chills.
rerungirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
Thiussat
Forum Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerungirl
Very interesting answers to this question! After my junior year of college I decided to stay on campus and take some summer classes. I got a job at a local Pizza Hut, and took the bus one morning to attend a meeting for new employees. It was a beautiful summer day and, rather than take a bus home, I thought I'd just walk back to my dorm. As I was walking home, a man in a light colored newer model car pulled up beside me and asked if I wanted a ride. I thanked him for the offer but told him I was enjoying my walk. The guy followed along side me for several blocks, trying to convince me he was a "nice guy" and was just trying to be friendly. I really got creeped out by his persistance, but this was before cell phones and I wasn't sure what to do. Finally I stopped at a house with a big porch, told him it was my boyfriend's house and waved goodbye. He drove off then, but I saw him pounding his hands on the steering wheel in anger. I remember he had an out-of-state license plate. Looking back after all these years, it still gives me the chills.
I'm glad you didn't end up on an episode of UM!
Thiussat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #14
CuriousMind90
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerungirl
What did he look like?
And how long ago was this?
The serial killer, Larry Hall, had a very similar method: He would pull up alongside girls, try to chit chat with them and offer them a ride and whatnot, and then would grab them and immobilize them somehow (either by knocking them out or some other method). He was a guy with long Civil War style mutton chops connected to a mustache, or a full beard.
CuriousMind90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
Sophie Treadmill
Frequent Poster

Last edited by Sophie Treadmill; 03-02-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Sophie Treadmill is offline   Reply With Quote